Chapter 12- Pay the Toll


The next morning, Buffy walked down to the kitchen to make breakfast and was surprised to see Anne in front of the stove, making pancakes.

“Good morning,” Anne said, smiling. “How are you today, dear?”

“I’m doing well,” Buffy answered, sitting down. “You’re making breakfast?”

“I thought I’d give you a break when it comes to making William’s food,” Anne replied. “I’m sure you do enough for him, as it is, and I enjoy cooking.”

“Thank you,” Buffy said sincerely, smiling. “My culinary skills are lacking.” Anne laughed a little before putting a stack of pancakes on a plate. “Can I help at all?”

“No, I think I’ve got it covered,” Anne said. “But thank you. It’s nice to know that not all teenagers are so disrespectful or lazy. Not like my William sometimes,” she continued causing them both to smile softly. “So, tell me, why aren’t you two dating?” Buffy raised an eyebrow and hoped that Anne couldn’t tell she was slightly blushing. “I think you’d be great for him. Maybe you could get him to change his ways a bit.”

“I don’t think he and I could ever date,” she replied, looking down. “We’re really different people.”

“Well, opposites attract,” Anne said, shrugging. “Or so they say.”

Nodding to appease the older woman, Buffy stood up as Anne finished preparing a tray for Spike. “Does this look acceptable?”

“It’s perfect,” Buffy said, smiling. “I can’t thank you enough for doing this.”

“I can’t thank you enough for dealing with my son this week,” Anne said, giving Buffy a warm smile before she grabbed the tray and walked away. Anne watched her for a moment and sighed.

‘I just wish they’d both realize how right they’d be together,’ she thought before beginning to wash some dishes.

* * * * *

When Buffy entered Spike’s room, she was surprised to see him still asleep. She walked over to the bed and sat on the edge, holding the tray with one hand as she nudged him to wake up. He shifted a little before slowly opening his eyes, looking up at her and smiling softly.

“Good morning, luv,” he said. “You brought me a real breakfast in bed? I’m touched.”

“Yep, made it myself,” she lied, smiling. “You might want to eat fast- we’ve got to go to school in about twenty minutes.”

“Sod school- let’s stay home,” he replied, sitting up and putting the tray on his lap. “Not like I’m learning anything anyway.”

“Yes, because you know everything there is to know,” she said, standing up.

“Like you pay attention in class,” he shot back, looking at her.

“I… I take notes,” she replied, crossing her arms as Spike raised an eyebrow.

“Correction- you write notes to Red,” he said, smiling. “Not the same.”

“Bite me,” she muttered, going to the door.

“Did last night. Or have you already forgotten?” he asked with a smirk as she looked down.

“I don’t want to talk about what happened,” she said, avoiding Spike’s eyes as he sighed and nodded.

“Fine,” he replied. “Go get ready for school. I’ll meet you downstairs.” She nodded and quickly left, closing the door behind her.

‘But I’m going to make you change your mind about me soon enough,’ he thought as he looked at his pancakes. ‘Wait a second- she can’t cook. How the bloody hell did she make these?’

* * * * *

As Spike walked into the kitchen, he saw Buffy talking to Anne.

“Good morning, William,” Anne said. “Did you sleep well?”

“I guess,” he answered. “Stayed up late watching a movie, but yeah, I suppose I slept fine.” He winked at Buffy, who blushed and looked away. “Oh yeah- thanks for breakfast, Mum.” Buffy looked at him indignantly for a moment before sighing.

“Guess he caught us,” she said, looking at Anne, who laughed. “You know I can’t cook, Spike.”

“I know,” he agreed. “And I’m genuinely happy Mum made my breakfast- you would’ve made something horrible that I wouldn’t be able to stomach.” Buffy shot him a look.

“I’m going to head off to work, so I’ll see you two this evening,” Anne said, grabbing her purse and going to the door. “Have a nice day at school.”

“Bye,” both Buffy and Spike said in unison as Anne left.

“Ready to go?” Spike asked, looking at Buffy. She nodded and went to grab her backpack off of the couch in the living room, but Spike quickly walked ahead of her and grabbed it before she was even close to it. He smirked and held it away from her when she approached.

“What’re you doing?” she asked, raising an eyebrow.

“I got your backpack for you,” he said. “Least you can do is pay me back.”

“Why don’t you just give me it?” she asked, crossing her arms over her chest. “I’ve been a good slave for the last couple of days, haven’t I?”

“Better than I could’ve hoped for,” he said, smiling. “Especially after last night’s debacle.”

“I told you before- I don’t want to talk about it,” she replied, frowning. “Now give me my bag.”

“Not until you pay the toll,” he said, smirking.

“Okay, what’s the toll?” she asked, deciding she didn’t want to be late for school.

‘I’ll play his game… for now,’ she thought. ‘I can’t wait to be away from him for a few hours today. It should make things a little more… enjoyable. And being away will help me forget about last night. Yes, the amazing kissage we had. Spike lips… yummy lips of Spike… bad Buffy!’

“Give us a kiss,” he said, wiggling his eyebrows. Her jaw dropped a little before her eyes narrowed.

‘Pretend like you don’t want to kiss him,’ she quickly told herself. ‘Don’t want him to think you actually enjoyed it yesterday.’

“No,” she replied firmly.

“Then I guess you’re not getting your backpack,” he said, still keeping it away from her.

“Oh well,” she said, shrugging. “I guess I don’t really even need it. Not like I take books to class, and I know Willow will lend me paper and pens if I need them.” Spike frowned. “What’s wrong?”

“Won’t you just pay the toll?” he asked, pouting as she raised an eyebrow. “A little kiss, pet- that’s all I’m asking for.” She took a deep breath and walked over to him, gently pressing her lips to his for a moment before backing off and grabbing her backpack from him. He smiled at her. “That’s my girl.”

“I’m not your girl,” she replied, turning around and walking to the front door, opening it up and going outside to his car. Spike sighed and grabbed his car keys and backpack.

“Maybe not right now,” he said to himself. “But you will be.”

* * * * *

Pulling up in front of Sunnydale Academy, Spike watched as Buffy smoothed her skirt before reaching for her backpack.

“Did I ever tell you how adorable you look in that uniform?” he asked with a smirk.

Shooting him a skeptical look, Buffy rolled her eyes. “You’ve got to be kidding.”

“Not at all. In fact,” he said in a low voice, leaning over her and angling his head toward hers. “Downright sexy.”

“Spike,” she whispered, hating the breathless tone of her voice. “What are you doing?”

“What’s the matter?” he asked with a smile, subtly moving until his lips were almost brushing against hers. “Worried what might happen if you’re alone with me for too long?”

“No,” she said, swallowing nervously.

“Tell me you don’t think about it,” he continued in a whisper. “Think of how thrilling it could be…all we have to do is push up this skirt a little more and…”

Trying to control her breathing when she felt Spike’s hand on her thigh, Buffy suddenly realized that they were in the school parking lot where anyone and everyone could walk by at any moment.

“Stop it,” she said in a firm voice, pushing his hand away.

“Relax, pet,” Spike replied, leaning over her a little more until he could reach the door handle. “Just opening the door for you. No need to get bent out of shape about it.”

With a frustrated noise, Buffy shoved him away and jumped out of the car, not bothering to wait for him as she walked toward the school.

She should have known it was too easy.

“Little jumpy today, aren’t you?” Spike asked, easily matching strides with her.

“Don’t you ever get tired of it?” she asked, not bothering to slow down.

“What’s that?”

“Being you!”

“What’s there to be tired of?” he asked, following after her.

“Oh, that’s right,” Buffy said, rolling her eyes. “I forgot that Mr. Spike Lawson gets anything and everything he wants. New car? Right this way. Adoring females? Have all the airheads you want. Slave for a week? No problem.”

“Well, if that’s the way you feel about me…here,” he said, dropping his backpack into her hands.

“Ooomph. What the hell is this?”

“I get everything I want, right?” he asked, raising an eyebrow in irritation. “Well, there you go. You can have the privilege of carrying my books.”

“Isn’t this supposed to be the other way around?” Buffy asked through gritted teeth as she heaved the heavy bag onto her shoulder. “I thought the guy was supposed to carry the books for the girl.”

“Oh, now, we wouldn’t want that,” Spike replied in mock innocence, placing a hand over his heart. “What about ‘equal rights’ and everything else you bints are always spouting off on? Wouldn’t want to upset you by making you do something anti-feminist.”

“Did I ever say I was a feminist?” Buffy asked in irritation. “You bought me at an auction, for crying out loud!”

“Yes, but it was for charity,” he said with a kind smile. “I know you were just doing your part.”

Turning to walk away, Spike made it a few steps before looking over his shoulder and suppressing the chuckle as Buffy glared at him.

“Come on now, pet. Don’t want me to be late, do you?”

“You think I really care?” she asked, struggling to maintain both bags. “Go take a flying leap off the roof, for all I care.”

“Well, that was a little uncalled for,” he replied, adopting an upper-class accent as he bit his tongue to keep from laughing.

* * * * *

Walking into the lunchroom a few hours later, Buffy was thrilled that she’d been able to avoid Spike after the bell rang, saying that she needed to go to the restroom.

‘Stupid Auction Day,’ she grumbled silently. ‘And stupid Willow for forgetting to remind me I’d have to attend class with Captain Peroxide and cater to his every whim.’

Weaving her way through the crowd, Buffy took mild satisfaction in the fact that at least she wouldn’t have to worry about homework for the next week.

Waiting in line for a few minutes, she had just grabbed her tray when she heard the familiar voice that was rapidly grating on her nerves.

“Not trying to ditch me, are you, pet?”

“Whatever gave you that idea?” she asked through clenched teeth, not bothering to turn around as she grabbed a sandwich to put on her tray. Reaching for a fruit cup, she frowned when she looked at the tray to see a greasy piece of pizza sitting next to her chicken salad. “What the hell is this?”

“Pizza,” Spike replied, pronouncing the word carefully to make sure she understood.

“I know what it is.”

“Then why’d you ask?” he countered with a smirk.

Practically growling, Buffy whirled around to face him.

“Well, that wasn’t one of your best noises,” he said with wide eyes before leaning close to her. “I actually prefer the noises you were making last night.”

Stepping away from him with wide eyes, Buffy looked around frantically before hitting him in the chest, feeling a moderate sense of satisfaction when he winced. “Shut up about that. And you never answered my question,” she said, gesturing to the ever-growing pile of food on her tray.

“Part of the deal, Goldilocks. Carrying my lunch.”

“You have to be joking.”

“Nope,” he said with a grin. “Of course, if you prefer, I could carry my own lunch and let you have my bag again. Which I have been more than nice about carrying the last two classes.”

“It’s your damn bag!” she hissed.

“Yes,” he replied, giving her a shove until she was walking again. “And you’re my damn slave.”

Running her hands through her hair, Buffy groaned softly. “This is a nightmare.”

“Say the word, and I’ll make it a dream come true…for both of us,” he whispered in her ear, causing Buffy to spin around and shove him back several feet.

“Do you ever shut up, or do you just like listening to the sound of your own voice?”

“Don’t want to talk?” Spike asked with a shrug as he walked past her. “Fine with me. A little too hungry for conversation anyway. You remember where I sit, right?”

“If both of us survive the week, it will be a miracle.”