Chapter 19 – Proving Who’s Boss


Buffy hesitantly followed Spike into the Bronze later that night. She was surprised that he even wanted her tagging along, but she soon realized he probably just wanted someone to get his drinks for him.

Smoothing out her black skirt and red tank top as Spike searched the interior for his friends, a bored expression crossed Buffy’s face in anticipation of the night ahead of her. She liked Cordelia and Doyle, but she would much rather be home with her mom, curled up on the couch and watching an old Fred Astaire movie.

“Want to sit alone?” Spike asked, drawing her attention back to him.

“Me? By myself?” she asked, gesturing to herself as he gave her a soft smile.

“You and me, pet. Not you by yourself.”

“Oh…um…that’s okay. I know you want to be with your friends.”

‘Rather be alone with you,’ he thought but wisely didn’t say anything, unwilling to scare her off. At any rate, he hesitantly placed his hand on the small of her back, leading her through the crowd to his friends.

Fighting the shiver that was threatening to run through her when she felt his fingertips ‘accidentally’ slip beneath her shirt and graze the small of her back, Buffy felt a sense of loss when he moved his hand away, smoothing her shirt back into place and stepping away from her.

It was going to be a long night.

* * * * *

“I think I’m going to get a refill,” Buffy said, holding up her cup as she carefully slid off the tall chair an hour later.

“I can get it for you,” Spike said, making a move to stand before Buffy shook her head.

“No, that’s okay,” she replied, feeling a little shocked that he offered but trying to give him a grateful smile. “I’ll be right back.”

Walking through the club, Buffy almost felt as if she was going to be swallowed by the crowd. ‘It’s Thursday night,’ she thought to herself. ‘Why is it so busy?’

Finally maneuvering her way to the bar, she took a seat at the end, waiting for the bartender to notice her.

“You’ve been avoiding me this week.”

Closing her eyes at the sound of the familiar voice that would be forever etched in her memory, Buffy slowly turned the stool, looking up at her ex-boyfriend.

“I avoid you every week,” she replied, tilting her head to the side and letting her blonde hair spill over her shoulder as she leveled him with a cold look.

“Now, that’s not fair,” Angel said, sitting down next to her with a smile that used to turn her to jelly. “Can’t we just have a nice, civilized chat like two…lovers?”

“What? You want to get back together now?” she asked with a disbelieving smirk.

“In the physical sense? Sure. Why not?” Angel replied with a shrug. “We were pretty good together.”

“Really?” Buffy said with a raised eyebrow. “Thought I wasn’t worth a second go,” she continued, using the words that Spike had so thoughtlessly told her the night before.

Angel’s eyes widened as he looked at her. “Who told you that?”

Closing her eyes and shaking her head, Buffy tried to refrain from laughing as she realized that she’d actually thought she’d been in love with this man. “So, you’ve told that to more than one person?”

“What? No,” he said quickly, shaking his head as she turned to look at him.

“Then you don’t need to know who told me.”

Seeing that he’d dug his own grave, Angel sighed. “It was just locker room talk. You know how it is.”

“Yeah,” Buffy replied. “I do. And I know you, Angel. Which is why what we did, we will never do again.”

Abandoning her cup on the bar, she quickly hopped off her seat and threaded her way through the crowd again, sighing as she got further away from him.

‘How could I think I loved him?’ she asked herself. ‘How could I think that he actually cared about me?’ Looking over at Spike as she slowly approached, Buffy briefly closed her eyes. ‘And is it worth the risk to fall for something that could be an illusion?’

Sitting down at the table and giving everyone a soft smile, Buffy saw Spike’s eyes fall on her before his eyebrows drew together. “Thought you were getting a drink, pet.”

“Um…yeah, the line was too long.”

Raising an eyebrow, Spike glanced over at Doyle and Cordy and saw they were talking between themselves. “That right?” he asked, sitting back in his chair before turning to look at the bar. “Has nothing to do with the fact that your lover boy was over there talking to you?”

“Adding ‘spying’ to your list of talents?”

“Not spying,” he clarified, letting his jaw tick in a show of frustration. “Was worried about you and I looked around. Not my fault you and Captain Forehead were flirting at the bar.”

“There was no flirting,” she said with a sigh. “He was being his usual annoying self.”

Watching the subtle lines in his face relax as he offered her a small smile, Buffy tore her eyes away, feeling uncomfortable with the warm feeling running through her.

‘Don’t fall for him,’ she thought to herself. ‘He’s like the rest of them- he only wants one thing from you.’

But what happens when he’s already gotten it?

* * * * *

Cordelia nudged Buffy about ten minutes later when Spike and Doyle stood up and walked over to the bar.

“Can you believe we’re done with this tomorrow?” she asked, smiling. “I’ll be so happy when I don’t have to answer to Doyle anymore.” Buffy laughed.

“Yeah, I know what you mean,” she replied. “But I thought you were getting along really well with him.”

“He’s a sweetheart, yeah,” Cordelia said, nodding. “But I can only tolerate having to be on call for someone so much.” Buffy nodded, looking at the crowd of people dancing. “What about you and Spike? You’re living with him, aren’t you?”

“Tonight’s my last night,” she replied, sighing. “It’ll be nice to be in the comfort of my own bed tomorrow night and to be back home with my mom.”

“I think you two would make a good couple,” Cordelia said, and Buffy raised an eyebrow, looking at the brunette. “I mean, it’s obvious that he digs you.”

“What’re you talking about?” Buffy asked, hoping Cordelia didn’t know anything.

“I’ve seen the way he looks at you, Buffy,” she replied, smiling softly. “I think he’d kiss the ground you walk on if you’d give him the chance,” she continued, watching as the other girl looked down. “You have feelings for him, too, don’t you?”

“I don’t know,” Buffy answered quietly. “He’s been getting nicer to me and all, but I don’t know how I feel about him.”

“Do you like him more than Angel?” Cordelia asked, and Buffy nodded. “You really dislike Liam that much?”

“Yep,” Buffy answered. “He’s such a jerk.” Cordelia nodded and smirked.

“Well, if you really want him to get the message that it’s over, you could go intervene,” she said, and Buffy raised an eyebrow. Cordelia motioned for Buffy to turn around, and when she did, she saw Angel and Spike standing at the bar, talking animatedly about something. Buffy quickly stood up and made her way to the bar, stopping to stand beside Spike. He looked at her, the fire in his eyes going away when he took in her nervous form.

“Hello again, Buff,” Angel said, smiling at her. She glared at him before leaning into Spike’s side. He looked at her, confused, before realizing that she was trying to irritate Angel.

‘And who am I to stop her?’ he thought, amused, wrapping his arm around her waist and pulling her against him. She kept herself from stiffening up and settled into him.

“Don’t tell me you two are seriously together,” Angel said, looking between the two of them. Spike grinned and kissed her temple softly.

“Got a problem with it?” he asked, looking at the taller teen.

“She’s mine, Spike,” Angel replied sternly, clenching his fists. “She could never be yours.”

“You don’t own me, Angel,” Buffy replied sharply. “And I will never be yours again. You had a shot and failed. I would never allow myself to sink to your level again.”

“And you think he’s better for you?” Angel asked, glaring at Spike. Spike took a step forward, but Buffy held him back.

“I know he’s better for me,” she said, and Spike looked at her, slightly surprised. “I’d rather be with him than you any day.”

“Is that a compliment?” Spike asked quietly, and she smiled softly.

“You could never truly have her,” Angel said, and both blondes looked at him. “I’ve had more of her than you- a person doesn’t just forget that.”

“I’ve already written off what happened between us,” Buffy said, shrugging. “And you may think you’ve had me more, but I know better…and it was better with Spike.” Seeing Spike grinning proudly out of the corner of her eye, Buffy smiled as Angel’s jaw dropped.

“You two… slept together?” Angel asked, practically growling.

“Yep,” Spike answered happily. “You were wrong about her, you know. She’s definitely worth a second go.” Angel’s eyes widened before he looked at Buffy.

“He’s the one who told you I said that?” he asked, and she nodded. “And you believe him?”

“Yep,” she said, nodding. “Because I trust him.” Spike held her closer to him and looked at her with a soft expression on his face. “Just leave us alone, Angel. It’s never going to happen with us. Not again.” He turned on his heel and pushed his way through the crowd before leaving the building.

“You know, everyone’s going to find out we slept together now,” Spike said quietly. “That’s news that will spread quickly, and Angel’s smart enough to know that.” She looked up at him and sighed.

“I don’t even care,” she replied, shrugging. “Besides, how many people even consider him trust-worthy? Angel will come up with any gossip, even if it’s fake, just to make himself look cool. I highly doubt anyone’s going to believe him.”

“And what if they do?” he asked, running his hand over her bare shoulder.

“Then we’ll deal with it when the time comes,” she replied. He smiled softly and looked into her eyes. “We should probably head home soon so I can do the last of my chores for you. As of 3 o’clock tomorrow, I’m no longer bound to you.” He frowned and looked down as she continued, “I’ve served my week as your own personal slave, and it’s time for me to return to my normal lifestyle.” He nodded and sighed.

“You’re right,” he said. “We should go home. We’ve got school tomorrow, anyway.” She sensed the hurt in his voice and frowned. “Come on, Goldilocks- this place is getting too hot as it is.” She nodded and followed him out of the club, going to his car. “I’m sorry if things were really that bad this week.” She looked at him before opening her car door.

“Me, too,” she said quietly, getting in on her side.