Chapter 22 – A Fresh Start


Biting her lip as Spike pulled in front of her apartment complex, Buffy looked up at the building with apprehension, staring at the dilapidated siding as she tried not to think of what came next.

This was it.

Her moment that signified freedom.

Then why did she feel so lonely?

Neither said a word as they continued to stare out the windshield, contemplating what happened next.

“So…” Spike trailed off, tapping his hands against the steering wheel.

“So…” Buffy replied with a slight smile, turning to face him and seeing the softening of his eyes as he looked at her.

“Mind if I come up for a minute?” he asked.

“You sure that’s what you want?” she replied with an uneasy feeling. “I mean-”

“Buffy,” Spike said, cutting her off, reaching over to gently cup her cheek in his hand. “It doesn’t matter to me where you live or how much money you have. You don’t have to do anything to impress me, except being yourself…and I know you don’t have a problem showing me your true colors.”

Seeing the smile on his face, Buffy giggled, relaxing against his touch before nodding. “You can come in, Spike.”

Pulling her closer and leaving a lingering kiss on her forehead before slowly pulling away. “Thanks, pet.”

* * * * *

Relieved to see Joyce Summers walking around the small kitchen and putting away dishes, Spike breathed out a heavy sigh that she did appear to be better. Smiling at the older woman when she turned around and gave him a radiant smile of her own, he couldn’t help but feel his heart tighten when Buffy crossed the room and hugged her mother.

“How’ve you been, Spike?” Joyce asked, still holding onto her daughter as she spoke to him.

“I’ve been well, Joyce,” he replied with a nod. “Your girl has been taking excellent care of me…most of the time,” he added, giving her a bright smile when Buffy turned on him with narrowed eyes.

“That’s what she’s best at,” her mother said, lovingly running her hand over Buffy’s hair.

“Spike’s going to stay over a little bit, if that’s okay.”

“Of course it’s okay,” Joyce replied. “I’ll be in the living room if you need me.”

Arching an eyebrow as Buffy took his hand and led him to her bedroom, Spike waited until she shut the door before speaking. “Your mum has as much trust in us as…well…my mum.”

“Yeah, she’s great,” Buffy said, sitting down on the bed as Spike set her duffel bag on the floor, which he had insisted on carrying. “And she can also hear everything that goes on in here. The walls are paper thin.”

“I see,” Spike said with a nod of understanding, smiling when she picked up a stuffed pig and clutched it to her chest. “And who’s that?” he asked, sitting down and looking at the smoosh-faced animal.

“Mr. Gordo,” she replied, holding him out for Spike’s inspection. “A gift from my mom after my dad left. She said he would keep me safe from anything. Guess I should have brought him with me this week, huh?” she asked with a smile.

“You saying you don’t feel safe with me, pet?” he asked, leaning forward and nuzzling her neck, chuckling when he found a stuffed pig shoved between them as if it was a barrier.

“Not when you’re in a mood like this,” she replied, edging away from him as he tossed the pig out of the way and leaned toward her.

“Don’t want much, sweetheart,” he murmured, smiling as she shivered against him. “Just a kiss. Can you give me that?”

Preparing for the rejection that he knew might be coming, Spike nearly sat up so she wouldn’t feel nervous. His eyes widened before closing when he felt her lips on his before he could even fully comprehend what was happening. Wrapping his arms around her waist, Spike nearly moaned as Buffy’s tongue gently caressed his before reaching up and grabbing the lapels of his duster, pulling him more forcefully toward her.

Letting his hands trail along her arms, Spike moved them higher until they threaded through her hair, holding her to him as he refused to let her get away.

Clutching at his duster, Buffy’s hands slowly loosened their grip, sliding beneath his coat and feeling the strong muscles of his chest, separated by the thin layer of fabric.

Pulling away after a moment, Spike took a deep breath as he closed his eyes, trying to control his raging emotions…and arousal.

“Something wrong?” Buffy asked nervously.

Hearing the tremor in her voice, Spike cupped her cheek in his hand, running his thumb along her skin as he shook his head. “No. I just don’t think you want to do this with your mum so close.”

Blushing at the mention of what almost happened, Buffy looked down at her lap, wondering what was happening between them.

“What is this, luv?”

Looking up in surprise that he had vocalized her thoughts, Buffy’s lips parted as she tried to think of an answer.

“I’m not trying to pressure you,” he said softly. “I’m just wondering.”

“I-I don’t know,” she whispered, glancing down at her comforter before looking up into his eyes again. “What do you want out of this?” she asked in uncertainty.

Hesitating for a moment, Spike met her gaze with his own. “A date,” he said with a smile.

“A date?” she replied, raising an eyebrow in question.

“You asked what I wanted…that’s what I want.”

“When?” she asked with a smile playing on her lips.

“Tomorrow night?” he asked, suddenly feeling like shy, little William again, waiting to be rejected when asking a girl on a date.

“That sounds great,” she replied with an easy smile. Seeing that he was nervous, Buffy leaned forward and brushed her lips against his in a tender kiss before pulling away with a soft smile. “Pick me up at seven?”

Deciding it would be better to leave on a high note before he shoved his foot in his mouth, Spike stood up, shoving his hands in his pockets as he nodded. “That sounds great, pet,” he said with a smile. “See you then.”