Chapter 23 – Pre-Date Jitters


Buffy spent the following evening getting ready for her date with Spike. She didn’t know why, but she kept having bouts of nervous jitters.

‘Hold it together, Summers,’ she thought as she began to curl her hair. ‘It’s not like you don’t know him…and that you haven’t kissed him before…fallen asleep in the same bed as him…had sex with him…’

“Everything alright?” Joyce asked as she watched Buffy from the doorway. Buffy nodded quickly and looked in the mirror in front of her. “So, are you officially dating Spike now?”

“I don’t know,” Buffy answered. “We haven’t really discussed it.”

“Well, I happen to think he’s a nice boy,” Joyce replied. “I’m not too keen on his nickname, but I suppose it fits his image a bit. Although, the rebellious thing is just a façade, isn’t it?”

“Yeah,” Buffy answered, smiling softly. “He’s a big fluffy puppy otherwise.” Joyce laughed quietly and sighed. “Is everything okay with you?”

“I’m fine,” Joyce said. “I’m just growing to realize that you’re an adult, sweetheart. You can make your own decisions and do whatever you’d like. I guess I’m beginning to feel old, is all.” Buffy smiled and looked at her mother.

“You may be old, but you haven’t aged a bit,” Buffy said, winking. Joyce came into the room and kissed her daughter’s forehead.

“Thank you,” she replied. “And I know I’m old, but I don’t want to be a grandmother just yet.” Buffy’s eyes widened before she giggled. “Buffy-”

“I don’t plan on having kids for a very long time,” she said, and Joyce smiled softly.

“Does Spike know that?” she asked, and Buffy made a face.

“Mom,” she said in a warning tone, and Joyce laughed.

“Just making sure,” she said, heading for the door. “I hope you have a good time tonight. It’s nice to see you be happy.” Buffy smiled as Joyce walked away before looking at a clock.

‘It’s six already?’ she thought, beginning to panic. ‘I’m not even close to being ready!’ She began to curl her hair as fast as she could, in the process burning one of her fingers on the metal barrel of the curling iron.

“Ouch!” she said quietly, looking at her finger. “Slow down, Buffy- tonight’s going to be fine. Stop obsessing over how you look. You could look absolutely hideous and it wouldn’t matter…probably.”

“Giving yourself a pep talk?” Joyce asked from the kitchen, hearing every word Buffy was saying.

“What? No,” Buffy said quickly before frowning. “Fine, you caught me. I’m wigging out over a date.”

“I wouldn’t worry, dear,” Joyce said. “It’s obvious he really likes you.” Buffy smiled as she looked in the mirror.

“Yeah, it is,” she said quietly before sighing.

* * * * *

On the other side of town, Spike was running gel through his hair as he looked into a mirror, trying to calm down both his unruly hair and his nerves.

‘I don’t understand why you’re so bloody anxious,’ he thought. ‘You like her, she likes you, and it’s not as if you two don’t each other.’ He grinned. ‘In the biblical sense of the word, even.’

Anne watched Spike in the bathroom as she stood in the hallway.

“You look nice, William,” she said. “I’m sure Buffy will appreciate all of the trouble you’re putting yourself through to smooth down those curls you dislike so much.” He shot his mom a look before sighing. “She likes you no matter how you look, dear.” He nodded and took a deep breath. “Although, I’m sure she’s obsessing over her appearance right now just as much as you are.”

“I don’t see why,” he replied. “She looks beautiful no matter what.”

“And you’re handsome no matter what,” Anne said. “Besides, I like your hair curly.”

“So does Buffy,” he said before frowning and beginning to tousle his hair a bit so it was back to its natural curly state. Anne smiled.

“Perfect,” she replied. “Now, where are you taking her?”

“I was thinking of taking her to that new Italian restaurant in town,” he said. “Italian food is romantic, right?”

“So you’re looking for romance?” Anne asked with a warm smile, and Spike shrugged. “You two make a very lovely couple.”

“I like to think so,” he replied. “Hopefully she agrees.”

“I’m sure she does,” Anne said before handing Spike money. He raised an eyebrow as he took it from her. “Make sure she has a nice time tonight.” He grinned.

“Thanks, Mum,” he said before giving her a hug.

“Whatever I can do to ensure you’ll stay with a girl who’ll tame your wild ways,” she said, winking at him before walking away. He smirked and put the money in his pocket.

‘I just want to make her happy,’ he thought. ‘And prove that this thing we have might be worthy of continuing.’

* * * * *

When both Buffy and Joyce heard a knock on their door, Buffy began taking several deep breaths, slightly settling her nerves. Spike appeared suddenly, holding two red roses. Buffy smiled as he handed one to her and then to Joyce. Joyce looked at it with a surprised expression.

“Thank you, Spike,” she said, giving him a warm smile. “That’s very sweet of you.”

“He’s a sweet guy,” Buffy said, smiling at him before giving her mom her rose. “Can you put this in a vase for me?”

“Sure,” Joyce said. “You two go out and have fun.” Spike smiled at Joyce before taking Buffy’s hand in his.

“I’ll be sure to have her home early,” he said, and Joyce laughed.

“Don’t worry about it,” she said, and Buffy raised an eyebrow. “Besides, it’s easier to get in the building when the sun is out.” Buffy giggled and led Spike to the door.

“Bye, Joyce,” he said, smiling at the older woman before the two teens left.

‘I wish my mom was as cool as I am,’ Joyce thought before sitting down on the couch and turning on the TV.

As soon as Buffy closed the door behind them, she leaned up to kiss his cheek.

“Thank you for the rose, Spike,” she said. “And for giving one to my mom. I can’t remember the last time she received a flower.” She paused and frowned jokingly. “Unless you’re trying to go for my mom instead, which just isn’t right. I’m not really a fan of the whole Mrs. Robinson thing.” He chuckled and kissed her temple.

“I’ll settle for the younger model,” he said before grinning at her. “Ready to go out, princess?”

“Ready for anything,” she answered, smirking.