Chapter 24 – Doing Things Right


Holding Spike’s hand as they walked out of the theater, Buffy looked down at their intertwined hands and smiled softly.

It was so simple.

How could something as effortless as touching another person in the least intimate place be so…intimate?

“What’s going through that mind of yours, pet?” Spike asked, tugging on her hand and pulling her close to kiss her temple.

“Lots of things,” she murmured, briefly closing her eyes as his lips made contact. “Wondering how we got here, for starters.”

“Yeah,” Spike agreed with a smile. “If somebody told me a week ago that I couldn’t live without you, I probably would have laughed in their face.”

Feeling Buffy stop, he turned to face her with a puzzled expression. His eyes widened a moment later when he realized what he said.

“Not that it would be such a bad thing,” he added quickly. “Not that it is, the laughing. I just meant-”

“You can’t live without me?” she asked softly, looking into his eyes with a surprised smile.

Letting his shoulders relax at the question, Spike shut his eyes in relief before opening them to see her standing in front of him expectantly. “You know I can’t,” he whispered, brushing the hair off her shoulders.

“Because I do your laundry and cook for you or because you want to be with me?” she asked skeptically.

“Because I want to be with you,” he said with a grin. “And let’s face it, pet, the laundry is a little lacking.”

Wincing when she smacked him on the shoulder, Spike chuckled after a moment, pulling on her hand. “Come on.”

“Where are we going?”

“It’s a surprise.”

* * * * *

“Wow,” Buffy murmured, mesmerized by the sight before her. Leaning into Spike as they looked over the bluffs as the waves crashed along the beach, she relaxed against his chest, smiling when his arms wrapped around her waist. “This is amazing.”

“Glad you think so,” he said softly, brushing his lips over her neck.

Shivering in the warm night air, she sighed when he held her closer to him.

“How’d you find it?” she whispered, feeling soothed by the combination of his lips and the never-ending movement of the ocean.

“Used to come up here a lot,” he replied, resting his chin in the crook of her neck. “After my Da’ died.”

“I’m sorry,” she said, turning toward him as he offered her a grateful smile.

“It’s alright. I don’t want to say I’m over it, because I guess I never will be, but…it helped…coming here.”

“I get that,” she murmured, closing her eyes as she leaned into his chest. “Want to go for a walk?”

“Yeah,” he whispered, feeling himself getting choked up as he thought of his father. “Let’s go.”

Holding Buffy’s hand as they slowly made their way down to the beach, Spike admired the woman in front of him. How could he have thought she was anything other than amazing?

Slowly walking toward the water, each marveled how much they felt at home with the other.

Pulling Buffy down to the sand, Spike eagerly held her to him, kissing the top of her head as she rested against him. “So what happens now?” he asked softly.

“Any number of things,” she replied after a moment. “For example- we could go our separate ways.” Smiling when he tensed up behind her, Buffy continued, “Or there’s the ever-popular dating, and even though I might be a little partial, I think we’re doing a damn good job of it.” Glancing over her shoulder to look at him, she barely had a chance to see the smile on his face before his lips were brushing against hers in a tender kiss. “And that leads me to option number three,” she said, feeling a little out of breath. “We could spend months groping in the backseat of your car and making out whenever we get a chance.”

“Liking this plan,” Spike said with an obvious smile in his voice as he kissed along her neck and shoulder.

“Then you’ll love the next one,” Buffy said, turning around in his arms and straddling his waist. She shivered when he rested his hands on her hips. “Care to do this right, Mr. Lawson?”

“You’re serious?” he asked in disbelief.

“Well,” she replied, cocking her head to the side and looking up at the sky as if she was seriously considering it before turning her attention back to him. “As memorable as our first time was…I have the sudden urge to do it right.”

“I’m not exactly an expert, pet, but I thought we did it pretty right the first time,” Spike said with a smirk.

“Not interested?” Buffy asked, moving to stand up. “Alright…”

Trailing off with a squeal as she found herself laying on her back in the soft sand, she let her eyes close when she felt Spike’s body cover hers.

“Oh, I’m definitely interested,” he said with a growl in his voice.

Gasping when his hands moved along her body, slowly pulling off her clothes, Buffy pushed his duster down his arms, smiling when he shrugged it off and spread it out as a blanket, letting her lay back on it.

Shivering when the cool leather came in contact with her heated skin, Buffy eagerly tugged at his shirt, letting a purely feminine smile play on her lips when he nearly ripped it in his hurry to remove it, exposing the smooth muscles of his chest.

Crushing his mouth to hers, Spike felt his entire body tense as she pulled him on top of her, working on his belt buckle. Unable to wait for him to remove the rest of his clothes, she reached between them, positioning him at her entrance and trembling as he entered her with a slow thrust.

Dropping his head to her shoulder when their hips met, Spike closed his eyes at the sensations that were running through him. Pulling back to look into her eyes as their bodies slowly moved together, he gently caressed her cheek, letting a smile cross his face as she gasped when he rolled his hips against hers.

He wanted to say it. He wanted to tell her exactly what she meant to him…or what she could mean to him, but he couldn’t. He knew it was too soon for declarations of love, but he also knew that he was falling hard and fast.

Brushing his lips against hers and trying to convey his emotions through the simple act as her movements became more frantic, Spike felt relief course through him when she kissed him back with equal passion.

Never letting their lips separate when he felt her muscles begin to grasp his cock, Spike plunged into her. Swallowing her cry of pleasure as he pushed her over the edge, he quickly followed, squeezing his eyes shut when his own climax overwhelmed him.

Catching himself from falling forward onto her, he rolled them until they were lying face to face. Caressing her cheek with one hand, they continued the soft kisses until they had to pull away breathlessly. Looking into her eyes, he could feel the words practically choking him, but he couldn’t bring himself to say them out loud. Not yet.

Seeing the confusion and indecision on his face, Buffy smiled as she reached for his hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. “I know.”