Author's Chapter Notes:
We could have added more angst and expanded the story at this point, but this felt like a good ending. Thank you so much to everyone who has reviewed! Also, a big thank you to GurlWidDaPearls for the idea for this story (from the Idea Factory).
Chapter 25 – Love Doesn’t Cost a Thing… Sometimes


Five Years Later


“I love you, Mr. Lawson,” Buffy said as she looked at the man sitting beside her. He leaned over and gave her a gentle kiss.

“I love you, too, Mrs. Lawson,” he replied, grinning at her. “I can’t believe we just got married.” She nodded, smiling. “Can’t say I ever thought I’d see the day when you’d walk down an aisle to me, practically glowing in a virginal white dress.” He leaned over to her ear to whisper, “Although, you’re definitely not a virgin.” She laughed and smiled as she sipped some champagne before looking at the people sitting down at circular tables in the large room, all eating their dinners. “I’m happy the wedding went off without a hitch.”

“And the reception seems to be fairing nicely, too,” she added, looking down at her meal. “I’m still too excited to eat.” He chuckled quietly and wrapped his arm around her shoulders.

“I am,” he replied. “But not for food.” She looked at him as he wiggled his eyebrows, smirking. She playfully slapped his arm. “Hey! That’s spousal abuse now, pet.” She giggled and kissed him.

“I’ll quench your hunger, but not right now,” she replied. “We’ve got an awesome honeymoon suite waiting for us after this is over.”

“So I have to wait until sometime after midnight?” he asked, pouting when she nodded. “Fine, I’ll wait, but you owe me.”

“Oh, I think I can give you a pretty good reward for being patient,” she said, winking at him. Willow stood up beside her before going to grab a microphone. “Uh oh- I think she’s going to get speechy.”

“Everyone please quiet down,” Willow said, surprised when people almost immediately obeyed. She fought back a wave of nausea as she looked at everyone in the crowd, looking back at her.

‘You’re the maid of honor, Rosenberg- hold it together,’ she thought. ‘You can do this! You’ve been working on this speech for a very long time- don’t mess it up now.’

“Well, Buffy, Spike, you’re married now,” Willow said, smiling as everyone cheered and applauded. “I’ve been waiting for this day for years, and now that it’s here, it’s almost surreal. It almost feels as if I’ve married my sister off and gained a brother out of all of this.” Spike smiled at her, and Buffy began to tear up a little. “Well, before I get sappy or anything, I just want to remind everyone of how all of this began.” Spike leaned over to Buffy’s ear.

“She’s not going to recap all of our history, is she?” he asked quietly, and Buffy frowned.

“Why? Have a problem with that?” she asked, sniffling, and Spike saw a tear escape her eye, despite the smile she was sporting. He kissed her softly and wiped off her cheek.

“Not at all,” he replied before focusing on Willow again.

“I remember the first day Buffy met Spike,” Willow said, laughing. “More specifically, I remember all of the negative comments Buffy made about him.” Spike chuckled and wrapped his arm more tightly around his wife. “Not surprisingly, the two didn’t get along for quite some time. Not until a certain auction.” Buffy giggled as several of their friends in the audience laughed. “Now, I know I personally was surprised when Spike won Buffy as his slave for a week, and imagine my surprise when I heard how much he bid.”

“It was well worth it,” Spike said quietly, and Buffy smiled.

“A small price to pay to fall in love, eh?” she joked, and he kissed her temple.

“I remember thinking that the two would spend the entire week fighting and that some blood would be spilled, but apparently, that wasn’t entirely the case,” Willow continued. “And it was soon after that when their relationship became public.” Willow smiled as she looked at Buffy. “Aren’t you happy I convinced you to be a part of the auction?”

Buffy nodded vigorously, causing many people around her to laugh.

“When graduation rolled around, I admit I was skeptical of them lasting, but they both were determined to stick by one another. And two years ago, when you came home to our apartment and told me you were engaged to Spike, I can’t remember ever being happier in my entire life.” Willow paused and turned to look at Oz, sitting at the head table beside Spike. “Well, up until that point, at least. I think getting engaged myself trumped your engagement announcement.”

The newlyweds both laughed as Oz grinned at Willow.

“And now it’s your wedding day, you two. I’m not surprised that you decided to become his wife, Buffy, after doing his cooking and cleaning for a week as his slave.” Joyce and Anne laughed, sitting beside one another at a table in front of their children. “I can honestly say, from the bottom of my heart, that I’m abysmally happy for you both. You are perfect for one another, and I’m so grateful for you, Spike, because you’re making my surrogate sister obnoxiously happy.” Buffy cuddled into Spike’s side as she rested her head on his shoulder. “I love you both, and I wish you all of the luck in the world.” She held up her champagne flute, along with everyone else in the room. “Congratulations!”

Buffy and Spike kissed among applause before clinking their glasses together and drinking their champagne. Willow walked over to the table and hugged both of them.

“Excellent speech, Will,” Buffy said, and Spike nodded in agreement. “I can’t wait to give my speech at your wedding in a couple of months.”

“Going to make me cry?” Willow asked, and Buffy grinned.

“Just to return the favor,” she said. Spike stood up and extended a hand to Buffy as the first song of the night began to play.

“May I have this dance, Mrs. Lawson?” he asked, and she put her hand on his before getting up and letting him lead her to the dance-floor. He wrapped his arms around her waist while hers went around his neck. They ignored all of the camera flashes and voices around them as they locked eyes, smiling at one another. “I love you, Buffy. You’ve been the best thing that has ever happened to me.”

“Yeah, I think I was quite a steal for five hundred dollars,” she joked, leaning up to kiss him. “I love you, too, Master.”

“Save that for our honeymoon, princess,” he said, winking at her. “Thank you for all of this, luv.”

“Thanks belong to you, too,” she said, smiling softly. “Did you ever think we’d come this far?”

“Not in my wildest dreams,” he answered honestly. “But I’m so happy we did.”


THE END