Chapter 5 – Bright and Early


“Hi, Mrs. Lawson,” Buffy said with a bright smile, seeing the older woman open the front door. “I didn’t wake you, did I?”

“No, dear,” Spike’s mother said, returning the friendly smile. “I’m always up with the birds on the weekends.”

“That’s good to know. Um…did Spike, I mean William, happen to fill you in on the strange circumstances?”

“He mentioned something about a charity auction and he donated a lot of money. He said that you might be staying here for the next week as part of the stipulations for the agreement.”

“Yeah,” Buffy said with reluctance evident in her voice. “Unless it’s not okay, in which case, that’s totally understandable.”

“No, dear, of course you can stay here. I’ve already made up the guest room for you.”

“Oh, well that’s…great,” she replied with false enthusiasm, trying to smile as his mother led her in the house.

“Now, while you’re here, and from now on, you are to call me Anne.”

“Yes, ma’am,” Buffy said with a smile.

“I’m usually at work during the week and out in the garden when I’m home, but if you need anything, I’m sure William will assist you.”

“Yeah,” she replied, trying to keep the sarcasm out of her voice. “I’ll bet he will.” Snapping out of the frustration that was threatening to overwhelm her, Buffy glanced around the house. “Is it okay if I make William some breakfast?”

“Oh, that is so kind. But he’s not up yet, you know.”

“Don’t worry about that,” she replied with a smile, walking toward the kitchen. “He asked me to bring him breakfast bright and early.”

* * * * *

“Rise and shine!” Buffy yelled, throwing the door to Spike’s bedroom wide open and smiling when he practically burrowed beneath the covers. “Wakey, wakey, Spikey,” she continued with a sugary sweet voice.

Walking over to his windows, she quickly jerked the cord on the blinds, filling the room with sunlight.

“What the bloody hell are you doing, you stupid bint?” Spike growled in a gravelly voice, barely audible as he buried his head in the pillow.

“Now, Spikey, you made me promise to bring you breakfast in bed. I believe your exact words were ‘bright and early’, and that’s what I’m here for. That’s what a good little slave does, after all,” she said, grabbing the comforter with both hands and jerking downward, raising an eyebrow when she saw the sheets tangled around his obviously naked hips.

Watching as he rolled over, her eyes widened when she saw the tented fabric of the sheet as he sat up.

“Whoa!” Buffy yelled, turning her head and holding out her hands as if to mentally stop him from moving any further. “I don’t need an eyeful of Spike Junior.”

Understanding her meaning, Spike stretched on his bed, letting his hand trail along his stomach, traveling downward until he was nearly pushing the sheet out of the way. “You sure about that, pet? It’s an impressive sight.”

“I’ll pass. I’m sure there’ve been enough sightings to deem it one of the stops in Rick Steve’s Guidebook.”

“Can’t argue with you there. It has been named one of the Seven Wonders, luv.”

“Keep dreaming, blondie.”

“What time is it?” he asked, squinting his eyes as he looked around the room.

“Six fifteen,” Buffy said, throwing open the blinds to the last window in the room and smiling as the bright sunlight flooded the room with light, highlighting the clothes-littered floor and walls lined with Sex Pistols posters. Raising her eyebrow at the messy room, she smiled when she heard Spike’s angry voice.

“On a Saturday!?” he cried, looking at her in disbelief.

“You said-”

“Bright and early,” he mimicked, rolling his eyes. “Guess I’ll have to be more particular with my instructions, won’t I?”

“If you think it’ll help,” she responded sweetly.

“Well…now that I’m up, what’s for breakfast?” he asked, sitting up and rubbing his hands together.

“Oh, did I forget to bring it in?” she asked in a falsely innocent voice, looking around the room. “I must have left it out in the hall when I opened the door. Hold on a minute.”

Quickly exiting the room, Buffy soon re-entered holding a tray, laden with food. Walking over to the bed, she ungracefully let it fall on his lap, giving him a bright smile as he raised an eyebrow at her.

“What? You have your orange juice,” she said, gesturing to the unpeeled orange that was wedged into a juice glass. “Your eggs,” she continued, pointing at the two raw eggs sitting in a measuring cup.

“And what’s this?” Spike asked with an irritated expression, gesturing to the potato.

“Hashbrowns,” she said, raising an eyebrow at him. “Never heard of ‘em?”

“I’ve heard of them,” he replied in a tense voice. “Just never seen them served in the raw form before. And this?”

Buffy suppressed a giggle as he wrinkled his nose at the dish of cottage cheese. “Well, you’re mom was out of milk, so I settled for the next best thing.”

“I see,” Spike said in a calm voice, nodding his head as he bit his lip, contemplating the meal before him. “Quite an inventive breakfast.”

“Oh, and I almost forgot,” she said, snapping her fingers together as if she was just remembering the finishing touch. Walking out the door, she immediately turned around and tossed a can through the air. Spike’s eyes widened as he caught it before it hit him in the eye. Glaring at her as she walked back to the bed, he looked at the offending object. “Your biscuits,” she said, gesturing to the unopened can that contained the raw batter for the bread.

“Alright,” he growled, slamming the can down on the tray. “I paid a lot of money for you, Goldilocks, and I expect to make good on my investment.”

“Fine. You want breakfast?” she asked, reaching into her pocket and extracting a foil-covered package before tossing it to him. “Pop Tarts. Enjoy.”

“Freeze, Summers,” Spike said as Buffy turned to leave the room. “I mean what I said, Miss High and Mighty. If you think you’re too good to do some of these things, maybe you should have thought twice before entering the auction.”

“And if you didn’t want to deal with me, you should have thought twice before bidding.”

“But the fact remains…I bid, I won, end of story. Now,” he continued with a growl in his voice. “If you’ll be ever so kind…I’d like my real breakfast.”