Chapter 9 - Spike, The Schizophrenic


“Are you ready yet?” Buffy asked, falling back on the bed as she waited for Spike to come out of the bathroom.

“In a minute, Summers!”

“Unless you’re wearing something new, I would think the ‘getting ready’ process would be old-hat by now.”

“Well, excuse me!” he yelled from the other room. “Not all of us can be as naturally perfect as Princess Buffy.”

Ignoring the comment, Buffy softly began humming the song in her head, patting her hands on her stomach as she caught the beat before her lips curved into a smile.

“You walked into the party like you were walking onto a yacht
Your hat strategically dipped below one eye
Your scarf, it was apricot.”

“Shut up!” Spike yelled, knowing that she was singing to him, but it only caused her to sing louder.

”You had one eye on the mirror as you watched yourself gavotte
And all the girls dreamed that they'd be your partner
They'd be your partner, and...”

“Summers…”

“…you're so vain, you probably think this song is about you
You're so vain, I'll bet you think this song is about you
Don't you? Don't you?”

Walking into the room and leaning against the doorframe, Buffy bit her lip to suppress the smile as she stopped singing. Spike’s eyes narrowed on her innocent expression.

“What?” she asked, her eyes wide as she looked at him. “I was just singing. It’s not like it was insulting, unless you think it was directed at you.”

“And if I know it was directed at me?” he asked with an arched eyebrow.

“Well…what can I say?” Buffy replied before breaking into song again. “I’ll bet you think this song is about you, don’t you? Don’t yoooouuuu?”

“Let’s go,” he growled, waiting until she stood up before following her out the door.

“You’re not gonna change?”

Looking down at her tank top and jeans, Buffy quickly shook her head as she walked down the stairs. “I didn’t bring anything with me.”

“Why not?” he asked, following after her.

“Because I didn’t think I would be ‘moving in’ today, that’s why.”

Sighing heavily before calling goodbye to his mother, Spike followed Buffy out the front door. “I’ll run you by your house.”

Surprised when Buffy spun around to face him, he watched as she shook her head.

“No…that’s okay. I don’t mind what I’m wearing.”

“Well, that’s all good and fine, Summers, but you’re going to need clothes eventually. Might as well stop by while we’re out.”

“I can run home tomorrow…sometime.”

“Don’t be ridiculous,” he said, rolling his eyes as they each got in the car. “Which way?”

* * * * *

Pulling up in front of the rundown apartment complex on the low-rent side of town, Spike kept all snide comments to himself as he stared at the building.

“I thought you would have lived close to my house, pet.”

“What made you think that?” Buffy asked, avoiding his eyes as she unbuckled her seatbelt. “Not everyone can live the highlife.”

Climbing out of the car, she whirled around when she heard the car door close behind her.

“What are you doing?”

“Saying hello to your mum.”

“Why?” she asked skeptically.

“Because she’s a nice lady. Always been decent to me - what’s the problem, Summers?”

‘The problem?!’ she silently screamed. ‘Other than the fact that the person who hates me will have more ammo in the future, you want to know my problem?’

“Come on,” she said in a soft voice, shoving her thoughts to the back of her mind. Walking toward the stairs, which was actually a fire escape, and climbing up to the second floor, she kept her eyes looking downward as she unlocked the door. Wordlessly holding it open for him, Buffy waited for him to enter before tugging on it to get it to close all the way with a slam. “Mom?”

“In here, honey.”

Frowning as she followed the voice, Buffy walked toward the hallway. Spike’s brow furrowed as he looked at the combined living room/kitchen. He would have sworn Buffy came from money. Following her to the hallway, he heard her frantic voice coming from the closest room.

“Are you okay?”

Quickly walking into the room, Spike’s eyes widened when he saw Joyce Summers lying in bed with a scarf wrapped securely around her head.

“Spike,” she said with a warm smile. “Forgive me for not getting up- I haven’t been feeling like myself today.”

“Are you okay?” Buffy repeated, sitting on the edge of the bed, taking her mother’s hand in hers.

“I’m fine, Buffy. I woke up feeling a little under the weather, so I stayed home from work today, but I’m fine,” Joyce insisted.

“I can stay home tonight,” she said, not even looking at Spike as she made her priorities known.

“No. That’s silly- you go out and have a good time. Did you come home to get your things?”

“Yeah,” Buffy said reluctantly.

“Okay then,” Joyce said with a warm smile. “You go get your things, and Spike can keep an old woman company.”

“You’re far from old, Joyce,” he said with a smile.

“Go, Buffy,” her mother said, giving her a little push. “This week, you’re free.”

“No,” she said, standing up and glancing at Spike. “This week, I’m a slave.”

* * * * *

Both stayed quiet on the drive to the Bronze, neither willing to say anything as they got out of the car and walked through the alley to get to the club.

“Listen…if you need to stay and help out your mum this week, I’ll understand.”

“What? And let your good mood run out and have you criticizing me for not making good on your investment? I don’t think so.”

“I’m trying to be nice, Buffy.”

“Yeah, well, don’t,” she said, spinning around to face him. “This has always been me, Spike. From the day you first met me, this was me, so don’t start treating me like I’m some charity case. I’m the same girl I was just a few hours ago.”

Spike watched as Buffy stormed into the Bronze, clenching his jaw before following. “Fine,” he muttered to himself. “You don’t want me to be nice- not a problem.”

As Buffy entered the club, she immediately looked around, hoping to see a friendly face or two.

‘Anything to get away from him,’ she thought. She saw Willow and Oz sitting at a table and began to walk towards them before Spike intercepted her, blocking her path.

“Where do you think you’re going?” he asked sternly, tilting his head.

“To say hello to Willow and Oz,” she answered, crossing her arms over her chest. “Two people who don’t piss me off.”

“I wouldn’t piss you off if you were nicer to me,” he replied.

“Bull,” she said with a scoff. “You were mean to me long before I was to you.”

“What? That’s not true,” he said, confused. “You were the one who-”

“Hey, B,” Faith said, appearing beside the two blondes. “Hey, Spike. I’m surprised you two haven’t killed each other yet. I’m sure all of that pent-up sexual tension is almost eating you alive, as it is.”

Buffy made a disgusted face, rolling her eyes at the brunette.

“Where’s Andrew?” Spike asked, looking around. Faith smirked.

“He’s getting me a drink,” she said. “That kid is so whipped! I’m just waiting for him to let me make a man out of him.” Buffy and Spike exchanged a look before Faith laughed. “Oh, come on- he obviously needs a ride. I don’t want the guy to graduate a virgin.”

“Does he know that’s your plan?” Buffy asked, looking at Andrew, sitting on a stool by the bar.

“He will soon enough,” Faith said, grinning. “But what about you two? Any debauchery I should know about?”

“No,” Buffy said firmly. “That’s a very emphatic no. In fact- a thousand gallons of no!”

Spike saw a slight blush in her cheeks and wrapped his arm around her waist, deciding it was time to get her back a little.

“Baby, be honest,” Spike said, leaning over to gently nibble on her ear. Buffy jolted a little, and Spike smiled at her before looking at Faith. “Buffy’s the best shag I’ve ever had,” he continued, watching as she froze, feeling both nauseous and disgusted. Before she could say anything, Faith slapped her arm.

“Good on you, B,” Faith said. “You deserve a release, too, you know.”

“Thanks,” she muttered, looking down as Andrew came over to them, holding a soda out for Faith.

“Hi, Buffy,” he said, smiling at her. “How’re you?”

“I’ve been better,” she answered, and Spike frowned. “How about you?”

“I’m doing well,” he answered, blushing a deeper shade of red as Faith took his hand in hers and squeezed it.

“Let’s go dance, Andy,” she said, pulling him out to the dance-floor. Buffy watched and shook her head.

“He has absolutely no idea about what he signed on for when he bid on her,” she said. “I feel sorry for him. Faith’s going to put him through a wringer before she’s done with him.”

“Looks like the slave turned out to be the master,” Spike replied.

“I think girls are called mistresses in that scenario, aren’t they?” she asked, looking at him.

“Or, in her case, a dominatrix,” he said, causing Buffy to smile slightly. “Are we actually having a friendly conversation?”

“What? No,” she said quickly, and he smirked. “I still hate you.”

“Whatever you say, luv,” he replied. “Even though I know you want to shag my brains out.”

“No!” she said, glaring at him as her good mood evaporated. “I wouldn’t ever sleep with you. You’re beneath me, Spike.” He looked at her, hurt by her words. She saw sadness in his eyes before it was replaced with anger.

‘That really wasn’t a good thing to say, Buffy,’ she thought. As Spike opened his mouth to speak, she took a small step back. ‘Here it comes.’

“You think you’re better than me?” he asked sharply. “You’re the one who’s unpopular and poor, not me.” She bit back the tears that were beginning to form in her eyes. “Never would’ve guessed you live in the slums, pet, but I guess it makes sense. Explains why you are the way you are. You’re nothing.” She felt a tear escape the corner of her eye and quickly wiped it away, not wanting to give him the satisfaction of knowing that he really was hurting her. “By the way, you don’t owe me for the clothes you bought today- there’s no way in hell you’ll ever be able to pay me back, as it is. Don’t need to make you even poorer than you already are.” She balled up her fist and punched him in the stomach, and he groaned in agony, bowling over and clutching his abdomen.

“Fuck you,” she hissed, turning on her heel and storming out of the club.

“Wow, looks like she’s not being an obedient slave,” Cordelia said as both she and Doyle walked towards Spike. He looked at them, still in pain. “Want me to go after her?”

“No,” Spike answered. “She’s my problem.”

“What did you do to her?” Willow asked as she walked over to Spike, a stern look on her face. Oz appeared behind her, looking equally as angry, which was odd, considering Oz never seemed to show any type of emotion.

“I…I said some pretty bad things,” Spike admitted, looking down. “I just don’t know when to stop sometimes.”

“And you have the uncanny ability of sticking your foot in your mouth,” Willow said, crossing her arms. “I’ll go talk to her.” She turned and walked away quickly, hoping to catch up to her friend. Cordelia walked to the bar, and Doyle patted Spike’s back before following her, leaving Oz standing in front of Spike.

“If you do anything to hurt her again, you know I’m going to step in, right?” he asked, causing Spike raised an eyebrow. “She’s an amazing girl, and the fact that you can’t see that, really bothers me.”

“I know she’s ‘an amazing girl’,” Spike replied. “I’m just a wanker who pushes it too far.”

“Then stop pushing and be nice to her,” Oz said, walking away and going after both Willow and Buffy. Spike went to sit down at a table, absently running his hand over his stomach.

‘I can’t believe I said that to her,’ he thought, resting his head on the wall behind him. ‘I’ve got to talk to her and make things right.’ He stood up and headed for the exit.

* * * * *

Willow caught up to Buffy out in the parking lot. She quickly embraced her friend when she saw the tears streaming from her eyes and rolling down her cheeks.

“I hate him, Will,” she sobbed. “I don’t understand how he can be nice one second and then be so mean the next.”

“That’s just Spike,” Willow said quietly, running her hand over he friend’s hair. “He goes from nice to jerk in five seconds flat. Maybe he’s a schizophrenic,” she added, relaxing a little as Buffy managed a small smile.

“I wish,” she mumbled, wiping off her eyes. “It definitely would explain things.”

“Want us to take you home?” Willow asked as she saw Oz coming towards them. “We can drive you.”

“I don’t want to impose,” Buffy said, sniffling. “You two should be alone.”

“I’d feel better if I knew you were safe,” Willow said. Buffy paused before nodding, following Willow over to Oz’s van. All three of them got in and headed off into the night.

Spike came outside in time to see a van speeding off and knew it had to be Oz’s.

‘Great,’ he thought, going to his car and getting inside. ‘You really need to learn to change, Spike. The girl already hates you enough, and if you ever want a chance, you need to reform. Besides, it’s not like you even have a vendetta against her in the first place- you just like messing with her.’ He sighed and started his car. ‘You deserve to be hated.’

He took a shortcut to her apartment and waited for Oz’s van to pull up. When twenty minutes passed and there wasn’t a sign of anyone, Spike drove towards Willow’s house. Upon seeing that Oz’s van wasn’t parked there, Spike began to wonder where Buffy went.

‘But it’s not like she’d talk to me even if I found her,’ he thought, beginning to drive home.

It was as he pulled up in his driveway that he saw something on his porch. Rather, someone. As he got out of the car and focused on the person sitting on his porch, he froze.

“Buffy.”