Chapter 5

Spike still didn’t know what to say. After a few minutes, he finally found his voice. “You have a son?” Buffy nodded. “But you’re just a kid.” He closed his eyes at the stupidity of what he said. “I didn’t mean that, you’re obviously not a kid. I just mean that you’re still in high school. When did this happen?” Buffy sighed when she noticed her son start to doze off. She looked at Spike.

“He’s 10 months old.” Spike raised his eyebrows.

“How old are you anyway, pet?” He wondered.

“I turned 18 two months ago.” Spike sighed in relief and was glad that she was legal, but he quickly banished those thoughts. That wasn’t important right now.

“Is there a father around?” Spike felt bad for asking when he noticed the sad expression on her face. She just shook her head.

“No, it’s just me and my mom. That’s all I need right now.” Spike nodded in understanding. He didn’t want to push her into talking if she wasn’t ready. He could wait for that. Joyce then came back into the living room and handed Spike a cup of hot chocolate. He gave her a smile as he took the cup from her. Buffy looked at her mother. “Mom, could you take him back upstairs? I managed to get him to fall back asleep.” Joyce nodded as she took the baby from Buffy and headed back up the stairs.

“So, what’s his name?” Spike asked when Joyce was gone.

“His name is, Thomas. I named him after my grandfather.” Spike nodded. He still couldn’t believe that this young girl was a mother. “This doesn’t change anything, right? I would still be able to sing with the band. My mom can always manage to baby-sit for me and if not, I can always find someone around the neighborhood.” Spike smiled at her.

“It’s fine, love. We couldn’t find anyone else now anyway. Not that we would want to.” He told her and she felt relieved. They then sat in silence as Spike finished his hot chocolate. He stood up when he was done. “I should go now.” Buffy stood up also.

“I guess I’ll see you at the next rehearsal.” She said and Spike nodded as he walked to the front door. He looked at her one more time.

“Take care, Buffy.” He told her as he walked out of the house.


* * * * *


Buffy found herself at the Bronze the next night. She just wanted to have a night of fun and her mother talked her into it. She was also hoping that she would run into Spike. She wasn’t watching where she was going when she suddenly bumped into someone. She noticed it was a blonde girl and Buffy caused her to spill the drink she was holding. The girl glared at Buffy. “You bitch, watch where you’re going!” She spat and Buffy wasn’t sure what to say.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t see you.” The girl continued to glare at her.

“Obviously, I should so have you thrown out of here.” She stated when someone else showed up.

“Harm, what the hell is your problem?” Buffy sighed in relief when she saw Spike and it was then that she recognized the girl as the one Spike was talking to when they first met. Harmony turned to look at Spike.

“This klutz made me spill beer all over my new outfit.” She said as she pointed at Buffy and Spike rolled his eyes.

“Right, like you don’t already own all the outfits. Just leave her alone, it was an accident.” Harmony now glared at him.

“Don’t you even care?” Spike thought about it for a second.

“No, I really don’t.” Harmony was pissed as she looked at Buffy and then back at Spike.

“I can’t believe you’re siding with this loser over me. What happened to my blondie bear?” Buffy tried not to laugh at the name and Spike just looked embarrassed.

“How many times have I told you to never call me that? I think you should go.” Harmony looked shocked and then grew angry as she threw the rest of her drink in his face.

“This isn’t over.” She said as she walked away, shoving Buffy when she walked by her. Spike sighed as he wiped his face. He looked at Buffy.

“You okay?” He asked and she nodded.

“Yeah, sorry about that. I didn’t mean to cause problems between you two.” Spike shook his head.

“Believe me, the problems were already there.” Buffy decided to ask what she has been wondering.

“Is she your girlfriend?” Spike nodded.

“Unfortunately, I’ve been trying to break up with the bint for days now. It just hasn’t worked yet. She was a moment of weakness and possibly the biggest mistake I ever made. It was supposed to be a one night stand, but she kept following me around and wouldn’t leave me alone. So, I would go to her whenever I was desperate.” Spike stopped when he saw the look on her face. “I probably shouldn’t have told you all that.” Buffy shook her head and walked away from him and Spike knew that he probably blew it as he went after her. “Buffy, wait!” He said when they were outside. She stopped to look at him. “I know that makes me sound like a right ponce, but I’m really not. My last girlfriend screwed me up badly. I just needed someone to talk to and Harmony was there. I know that using her was wrong and I feel bad about it. That’s why I’m going to end things as soon as I can.” Buffy crossed her arms over her chest.

“It’s your life, Spike. Why should you care what I think?” Spike thought about it.

“Because I do and you looked hurt. I just don’t want you to think that I’m like that. I’m really a decent bloke once you get to know me. I did everything for my last girlfriend. I gave her whatever she wanted, took her anywhere she wanted to go. It just wasn’t enough for her.” Buffy’s look softened.

“What happened?” Spike sighed and decided that talking about it might make him feel better.

“I found her in bed with someone else. She didn’t even care that she hurt me. Not at first anyway.” Buffy couldn’t believe how heartless that woman was.

“I’m sorry, Spike. I know how much that sucks.” Spike nodded.

“I take it the same thing happened to you.” Buffy nodded also and decided to open up since he did. She couldn’t keep everything in forever.

“The first guy I ever dated. He was my first love actually or I thought he was. It turns out that I wasn’t enough for him either. I wouldn’t sleep with him, so he moved on to someone that would. He was seeing her for months and I never knew. What really sucked is the fact that she was my friend at the time. I really know how to pick them.” Spike now felt bad for her. This girl was amazing, he couldn’t believe that anyone would do that to her.

“Was he the father?” Buffy shook her head.

“No, that was someone else. He’s not really someone I like to talk about.” Spike nodded in understanding and again didn’t want to push her. She looked at him and he then noticed the tears in her eyes. “Could you take me home?” Spike nodded again and didn’t say anything else as they walked to his car.