Chapter 7

Buffy was at Spike’s apartment about a week later. He would let her practice on the piano when she wanted because she didn’t have one at home. She was practicing a song for school and getting frustrated when she couldn’t get it right. Spike suddenly appeared behind her and started to rub her shoulders and she relaxed a little. “Maybe you should take a break, love. You’ve been at it for hours.” Buffy shook her head.

“I can’t, not until I get it right. My voice just isn’t working today and my playing sucks.” She said with a pout and Spike sat down next to her on the piano bench.

“You’re being too hard on yourself.” Buffy looked at him.

“I don’t have a choice, Spike. My music is all I have, I have to be great. I’m not good at anything else.” Spike didn’t believe that, but he didn’t say anything about it.

“Why don’t you let me play while you sing? Is this the song?” He said referring to the sheet music that she was looking at.

“Yeah, it’s not sounding right.” Spike looked at the song for a bit before looking back at her.

“Okay, let’s try it again.” She nodded and he started to play. Buffy closed her eyes as she listened to the music and then began to sing.

Notice me
Take my hand
Why are we
Strangers when
Our love is strong
Why carry on without me?


Everytime I try to fly
I fall without my wings
I feel so small
I guess I need you, baby
And everytime I see you in my dreams
I see your face, it's haunting me
I guess I need you, baby


I make believe
That you are here
It's the only way
I see clear
What have I done
You seem to move on easy


And everytime I try to fly
I fall without my wings
I feel so small
I guess I need you, baby
And everytime I see you in my dreams
I see your face, you're haunting me
I guess I need you, baby


I may have made it rain
Please forgive me
My weakness caused you pain
And this song is my sorry


At night I pray
That soon your face
Will fade away


And everytime I try to fly
I fall without my wings
I feel so small
I guess I need you, baby
And everytime I see you in my dreams
I see your face, you're haunting me
I guess I need you, baby



She finished singing and Spike stopped playing to notice tears in her eyes. She wiped them away when she caught him staring at her and gave him a small smile. “Was it okay?” Spike was at a loss for words for a second, until he nodded.

“That was great, pet. Very beautiful.” He was talking about more than just the song, but she didn’t need to know that. She just stood up.

“I guess it sounded better.” Spike nodded and stood up also.

“You should sing that at our next performance.” Buffy looked back at him.

“I don’t know. Don’t you think it’s kinda depressing?” She said and Spike smiled at her.

“Sweetheart, every song you’ve sang so far has been kinda depressing. That just makes them even more beautiful.” Buffy thought about it and nodded. Spike decided to ask her what he has been thinking. “Are these songs based on anything in particular? They just seem to be personal.” Buffy looked away from him.

“Just my life.” She said quietly and he heard her.

“You know I’m here, Buffy. If you ever need to talk.” Buffy looked back at him and gave him a smile.

“I know you are.” She said as she grabbed her purse, when the front door suddenly opened and Harmony walked in. She stopped with a start when she noticed Buffy there.

“What the hell is she doing here?” She asked as she looked at Spike who rolled his eyes.

“Does no one knock? She was only practicing, Harm. Get over it.” She glared at him and turned cold eyes on Buffy.

“I should get home anyway. Thanks for letting me practice here.” Buffy said and Spike nodded as he walked her to the door. She gave him one more smile. “Good luck.” She whispered before she walked out of the apartment. He closed the door when she was gone and rested his head on it for a few seconds, before he went back into the living room to face Harmony.


* * * * *


The song was “Everytime” by Britney Spears.