Chapter 3


8.15pm that evening, Buffy’s bedroom

“OUT!”

“But-“

“No, no buts, I said out!”

Spike petulantly folded his arms and pouted, sitting down on her bed.

“Shan’t! I was only going to help you choose an outfit-“

“YOU were going through my knicker-draw!”

“And?” he tried to look innocent

“And – that’s hardly help – look, Spike go downstairs, please?”

“Okay, but give me a kiss first, then I’ll go”

“Oh no, you’re not tricking me like that – I know you matey-boy, one will lead to – well I know what you’re like!”

“Again I say, and?!” Spike said with a smirk.

Buffy stood over him, and Spike caught her behind the knee and she tumbled forward, sprawling all over him. And of course, Spike took advantage and kissed her.

“Ahh, oh – ooooohhhhh, Hmmmm –“

“Buffy, could I borrow your- whoops – SORRY!” Willow quickly ducked back out of the room.

Buffy struggled to get up and called

“No, Willow – sorry I um…what do you want?”

Standing in the hall shielding her eyes Willow said,

“Um, sorry to interrupt…your hairdryer, mine’s packed up”

“Sure come in and help yourself, it’s on the side”

Willow tried to edge into the room, still carefully shielding her eyes.

“What are you doing?” Buffy asked puzzled

“Well I didn’t know if, um, well sorry I interrupted you before and-“

“Willow, that was Spike’s fault!”

“Spike? – But you were lying on top of him, and-“

“She can’t resist me Red…she finds me totally irresistible-“

“Bloody ANNOYING now GO DOWN STAIRS!”

Spike walked passed Willow and whispered,


“Always at me, never leaves me alone!”

He left with a big grin and Buffy glared at him, mashing her lips together so she wouldn’t smile back!


**********

“………And don’t you DARE get drunk, coz we have to drive to Vegas tomorrow remember” Buffy said sternly

“How could I possibly forget?” Spike said disinterestedly

“Oh look, there they are – Anya, Xander, coo-ee, over here!”

Anya saw Buffy waving and calling and they went over.

“Now Spike, don’t get my Xander drunk, will you”

“What – what makes you say that – I’ve no bloody intention of anything of the sort!”

“I know it’s his bachelor party and all that, but that’s no excuse for excessive drinking”

“Bachelor – but”

“Go on, you go over there, you can’t sit with us – we’ve got to talk about girl stuff. And I’ve got to tell embarrassing story’s about how Xander’s penis is-“

“OI – do you mind – I will not have you discussing my…my manly bits in public!” Xander looked indignant

Anya mouthed,

‘Mr Banana’ I call it, on account of how it bends slightly-what?”

Spike grinned, Xander wanted to die a million deaths, and Buffy and Willow sort of blinked round eyed at each other………

“Think I’d rather sit with you lot, pet!” Spike said with a smirk

“Um, yeah, lets sit together!” Buffy said, coz she SO didn’t want to hear any more from an over-sharing Anya, and nothing loosened Anya’s tongue more than alcohol…………

***************

Two hours later…………

Spike practically pounced on Buffy as she came out of the restroom.

“Dance now, coz I swear if I hear just one more story of Xander and his happy band of co-workers, I’ll – well – it’ll be swift, painful an bloody!”

“Okay – Anya keeps talking sex, it’s embarrassing!”

They reached the dance floor and Buffy slipped her arms around his neck, Spike circled her waist and pulled her close.

“Do you think it’ll last?” Buffy asked suddenly

“No pet, this is the last verse”

“Not the song, twit! Them, Xander and Anya – do you think they’ll go the distance?”

“I doubt it!” Buffy leaned out of his embrace and frowned

“Where’s the romance in you? – Oh don’t tell me, you left it in the car!”

“Very funny. No, you asked me a question, and I answered truthfully. A couple or three years maybe, then knowing him, he’ll do or say something even more stupid than usual, and she’ll revert to type, they always do!”

Buffy stopped swaying to the music and looked up at him

“Revert to…oh my god, do you think?”

Spike pulled her close again and said quietly,

“Sure as eggs are eggs, pet, they always do, mark my words!”

“But this is terrible – don’t you think…well, shouldn’t we warn him or something?”

“About what – oh by the way Xander, just make sure once you’re married not to say or do anything stupid, else your Mrs will fly off the deep-end and revert to being a vengeance demon? Do you think he’d listen – and even if he did, more to the point, do you think Anya would thank you for it………bloody hell!”

“Wha-what – where, what?”

“Who’s that smooching with Red?” Buffy looked around, but couldn’t see her redheaded friend.

“Where?”

“There, look, she’s got her back to us, hold on…………(they did an about turn dancing so Buffy could see) there, can you see now, peasant skirt, white top”

“Oh god, she’s a………she’s a…………she’s a she!”

“Yes…she is – look at Xander’s face!” Spike said

“Look at Anya’s – oh god, Anya’s going over… - hey where are we-“

“Got to get close enough to hear this pet, I just gotta!”

***************

“Well THAT ended well!”

“What did you expect pet – Anya did ask if she could watch what they did in bed! – And I noticed there was a distinct lack of protestation from the whelp!”

“Hmm…I don’t know, she must have a total embarrassment by pass that girl…I swear whenever she starts a sentence ‘My Xander’, I have this over-riding urge to stick my fingers in my ears and go la-la-la, I’m not listening!”

“Oh no pet, that’s when you hear the good bits!!”

***************

Willow sat in Buffy’s kitchen looking a little glum.

Spike was watching Men and Motors on cable, and Buffy got bored watching, so she went into the kitchen with Willow.

“Why so blue?”

“I’m worried”

“What about?”

“Anya and Xander…you know, I really think he’s making a mistake”

“Do you? Hmm………well for what it’s worth, so does Spike”

Willow turned a pair of sad eyes onto Buffy

“Really?” Buffy nodded as she filled the kettle.

“Tea?”

“Please, why, what did he say?”

“Well, we were dancing, and I asked him if he thought they’d go the distance, and he said no. At first I thought that he was just being his usual cynical self………but then…oh it doesn’t matter…do you want ordinary tea or herbal?”

“Herbal, no go on, please tell me”

Buffy went onto re-iterate what Spike had said about Anya reverting to type.

“Oh my god…do you think she would?”

Buffy shrugged and said

“But we can’t say anything Will, he’s old enough to make his own mistakes, besides which Anya wouldn’t thankyou and if she DID revert back…”

“She could come after us…yes. I feel sorry for him though, I wish she’d shut up about their sex life!”

“I know…here you go, honey’s in the cupboard – I’m going up to bed. What time are we leaving tomorrow?”

“’Bout lunchtime?”

“Kay, night!”

Willow sat at the breakfast counter in the kitchen, elbow on the counter, head propped on her hand.

Spike wandered in and threw his two empty beer cans away.

“Night Red”

“Night Spike. Oh, Spike”

“Huh?”

“Have you written an speech?”

“No, it’s all up here!” Spike tapped his forehead

“Don’t be too hard on him, will you?”

Spike smiled

“Nothing he doesn’t deserve, pet”

“Spike please…he…well I’m worried for him. He is my best friend”

“Yeah, I know pet, but well, he’s all grown up, just like you are, and if we make some lifestyle choices, it’s nobody else’s business, is it?”

Willow knew he was making a veiled comment about her being a lesbian.

“Suppose…night Spike”

“Night Red”

Willow went back to the elbow propping. She’d made a decision. She would cast a spell. Just a little one mind, to ‘help’ things along…she wasn’t going to tell anybody though. She drank her tea and went up to her room, she’d got everything she needed in there………