Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to Askita for helping to make this chapter a lot better.
Authors: Magan and Askita

Chapter 3-

Spike trudged back to his apartment, thinking about Buffy and deciding to brace himself for the feelings that were bound to ricochet through him at seeing her for the first time in a year. He’d thought of every scenario possible, and needless to say, in everyone one of them, he got his ass handed to him. He tried to take an optimistic look to it, if he got his ass handed to him, well, then so be it. At least he’d gone there and made his feelings known.



The first thing Spike did when he got home was head to the shower. His still sore body was covered in blood and any other manner of ickyness from the battle. His wounds had begun to heal, and he wanted to clean them before they finished. Sore or not, he had made up his mind, ‘Italy, here I come.’



The steady stream of hot water had calmed his nerves, and as he stepped out of the shower he felt refreshed. He moved to his closet, pulling out a black T-shirt and sliding it over his head, quickly followed by a blue silk button up that hugged the muscles of his chest and arms nicely. He topped the ensemble with his snug-in-all-right-places jeans. Satisfied with what the choice, he then sat on the bed and put his docs on. He took a moment to clean off his duster, wiping away any remnants of the night’s battle, and smoothing in a layer of protective oil. He then grabbed a small bag and stuffed it with a few outfits, and headed to the door. He stopped then, moving back to the phone, lifting the receiver from where it rested in its cradle.



He dialed a number, and it was answered on the second ring. “Hey mate, it’s me… Yeah. About that… Hold off on all prior arrangements until I give you the go ahead… Yeah, there’s a few loose ends I need to tie up before I make a decision… Ok. I’ll call in a few days. To check on things… Bye.”



He headed back to the door, scooping up his now clean duster and slipping it over his shoulder as he grabbed up his bag and headed out to hail a cab.



****



Angel had booked a private jet for Spike, using the funds from Wolfram and Hart before everything turned south. He’d also managed to transfer all of W&H funds to an offshore account under an assumed name. He figured if they came through the battle, he’d use that money for good rather than the operations of an evil law firm.



Spike handed his ticket to the ticket holder, and headed down the ramp. However, before he made it to the plane, a petite red head ran after him, calling his name.



“Sir, Sir! You forgot something.”



He turned, duster billowing dramatically behind him and raised his eyebrow in question. He smiled his patent smile, sure to make the young woman putty in his hands.



“Yes?” he grinned when he noticed how it had worked so easily as the red head struggled not to stumble over her words.



“Mr. Angel left this with me to give you. He said you’d need it for where you’d be going.” She smiled again, blushing.



Grinning sexily, he tilted his head to look at the girl appreciatively. Spike suspected that she’d done some modeling, what with her own perect smile and well turned ankle. “Well, thank you…” sapphire eyes darted to her name tag, “Marcie.” He smiled, raising one scared eyebrow seductively.



Marcie giggled like a school girl before going back to her post.



“Gets ‘em every time.” Spike smirked and continued on his way.



*****



Back at the Hyperion, Angel and Cordy had been talking extensively about how she was back and what the mysterious gifts lay in wait for him. Cordy of course, stayed tight lipped on the latter. She did, however, try to tell him why she stayed.



“So let me get this straight,” Angel paced back and forth while Cordy made herself comfortable on the king size bed, “he let you come back to be with me?”



Cordy nodded. “Yes, Angel.” She patted the spot next to her, indicating that Angel should sit down.



“Why?” He asked finally sitting down beside her. “I’m not really following.”



‘It is so obvious!’ She didn’t understand why he wasn’t getting it, when just an hour ago; he was kissing her in front of Spike. Sighing, she finally responded to him, “Because you needed me.”



“You were always with me here.” Angel pointed to his heart. “I knew you were never far behind.”



She leaned her head atop his chest. He kissed the top of her head and wrapped his arms around her, she wanted so much more from him right now. She wanted kisses, and hugs, and wonton passion, but instead she sat up. “Oh hey, guess who I saw?”



Angel sighed, it had come out of nowhere, but Angel didn’t mind, as a matter of fact, he struggled with not minding. It was nice just sitting like this, even though they could never have sex. Or could they? He wondered. It had been a long time since...



“Hmm?”



“Doyle.” Cordy smiled brightly.



“Doyle? You saw Doyle in heaven?” Angel found himself quite surprised. He never expected to find a demon in heaven, but then again, he’d never thought he’d see God either. “How is he?”



“Good. Surprised to see that I had made it up there. He thought for sure I’d outlast him. He misses you though.”



“I miss him too.”



“I’m gonna miss Gunn and Wesley. It’s just not going to be the same without them,” Cordy commented, brown eyes lightening with sadness.



“Yeah, it’s not going to be the same, but I think that they’ll be ok up there, with Doyle. “Angel said sadly. He smiled then, a thought crossing his mind. “At least now they can finally meet.”



They fell silent for a moment and then there was a knock at the door. A welcome sound in the stillness that had built up between them, even with Angel’s attempt at lightheartedness. Angel rose, his large frame moving gracefully across the floor as he went to the door and opened it. Lorne’s smile was already in place. The wonderful green-skinned demon was brandishing a tray full of goodies.



“I thought that you’d want something to chow down on.” Lorne thrust the tray at Angel and he took it reluctantly. “There are some of those scones you like so much and coffee. Oh and there’s cheesecake and blood.” Lorne pointed out.



“Oh well, thank you Lorne.” Angel was taken aback. He didn’t think that they had anything in the kitchen so soon. “But I didn’t think we had anything here?”



“We didn’t. I called the market down the street and they delivered it,” Lorne replied brightly.



“Thank you.” Cordy yelled from the bed, the thought of cheesecake making her mouth water.



Lorne nodded with another patent smile. “I’ll just leave you two love birds alone and go check on Fred.”



Angel stared out into the hallway, “Thanks.”



The vampire scratched his head as he perused the contents on the tray, and headed back inside. He closed the door and moved back to the bed. Lorne had thought of everything, including blood. Angel was surprised that Lorne would even do this for him after he’d ordered Lindsay’s death.



“I can’t believe he did this for us.” Angel said, half reclining on the bed, placing the tray next to him on the black silk sheets.



Cordy sniffed the contents. “Is that coffee?” She asked. “I haven’t had coffee in so long.” She poured herself a cup and added cream and sugar. Strong hands lifted the hot liquid to her lush lips, she tipped it, sipping the rich coffee, savoring the taste. “I forgot how much I love Lorne’s coffee.”



Angel sat quietly as he poured a cup of coffee for himself, black, straight. He couldn’t stop thinking about the past year—everything that he’d done to get to here. He was ashamed of himself, knowing full well he shouldn’t have done nearly half the things that he had. He’d risked the lives of his friends time and time again and in the end, he’d lost both Gunn and Wesley.



The former watcher was long forgiven for the kidnapping of Conner, but it far outweighed what Angel had done to Conner to give his son a new, normal life. Angel still regretted that he never had a chance to raise his son, he always would. Still, he knew it was in his son’s best interest. Now that Conner had come back, will he stay in touch with his father? Or will he go back to his nice, normal life? Angel wasn’t sure which he wanted. Which was better all around.



Cordy noticed Angel was awfully quiet as she bit into a finger sandwich. “Hey.” She tapped him on the shoulder.



“Huh?” He looked back at her and took a sip of coffee.



“What’s the matter?” she queried, moving around next to him.



“Just thinking about… stuff.”



Cordy set the sandwich and coffee down on the night stand and turned to face him. “Let’s start fresh. There are things that we’ve done that we’re not proud off. Lord knows I’ve done some questionable things, asleep or not.” She chuckled. “Point is, leave it there. It’s the past. And you mister, had better stop brooding over it, before I get feisty. It’s already done with. Move on. Let’s make a new life for us. I’m here to stay. I certainly hope you’re not planning on going anywhere.”



Angel thoughts took him to another plane again. He had done some questionable things over the past few years, hell over the past couple of centuries, and ever since he was cursed with a soul, he’d done nothing but brood over what he’d done. He was a different person with the soul. He was no longer Liam. Liam was a weak drunkard. As Angelus, he had done even worse things, and even as Angel, he had done things he wasn’t proud of. Cordy was right. It was time to move on and make a new life. It was time to stop paying for his sins, he couldn’t make them go away. ‘If Spike can move on from what he’d done, then I can do it.’ Angel thought taking a sip of his coffee. “You’re right.” He said after a moment.



“I am?” Cordy asked, surprised. “Oh right. I am.”



“I need to stop living in the past and start living in the now. It’s time to make a new life for me… for us.” Angel leaned over her, his lips settling over hers is a soft, sensual kiss, a promising kiss. A few moments passed, the kiss having intensified becoming frantic. Their only pause so Cordy could draw a much needed breath.



“Angel,” she said anxiously as Angel kissed the length of her neck. “I should tell you something.” Slight moans punctuating her words.



“What?” Came Angel’s muffled, slightly distracted response.



Before another word was uttered, a scream could be heard echoing through the halls of the Hyperion. Angel sat bolt upright, brown eyes looking nervously toward Cordy before he dashed to the door.



*****



Fred’s eyes attempted to focus, she tried to stop the ear piercing screams coming from her mouth, but her dream was still so vivid. Lorne was there, by her side, trying to soothe her, when Angel and Cordy burst into the room. A few more moments of Lorne’s cooing and she was promptly back to sleep.



“Buttercup, it’s ok.” He said, kissing her lightly on the forehead. Lorne sat back down in the plush chair next to her bed, taking a drink of brandy from the snifter on the nightstand.



“What’s wrong?” Angel asked. “Is she ok?”



“She’s fine.” Lorne spat the words at him, taking another drink. “Don’t worry. I’ll take care of her.”



Shocked at Lorne’s little outburst, Cordy intervened quickly. “Ok guys, enough.” She’d never seen Lorne so upset, especially considering his actions a short time ago. “What’s done is done.” She walked in front of Angel, eyeing him warily. “This is a new beginning for us… all of us. Just leave everything in the past where it should be.” She turned to face Lorne, to see if he understood.



Angel nodded while Lorne filled his snifter again, the brandy nearly spilling over the edges. He was not in any mood to forgive Angel for anything. The little gesture from before had been for Cordy’s benefit, not Angels, even though he had placed a packet of blood on the tray. Things between Angel and Lorne weren’t going to be ok for a long time.



“Angel.” Cordy turned to face him and grabbed his hand, pulling him into the hallway. “I don’t think this is the best time” she said closing the door behind her. “To be discussing anything. He needs time to heal.” She pulled Angel back to their room. “Do you still have any of my things?” She asked, changing the subject.



“Unfortunately no, we gave it all to charity,” Angel said, closing the door, eyes downcast sheepishly.



“Well, good. You’re taking me shopping tomorrow!” Cordy said, knowingly.



“Tomorrow night, sure,” Angel said absently as he lay on the bed and Cordy snuggled into him. His thoughts again wondered into their own plane. Absently he thought of the fact that he had continued to maintain the Hyperion while working for W&H. ‘Otherwise we’d be out a good bit of living space.’



Before the final battle, Angel did a little laundry too, sending all the available funds to his off shore accounts. No one would ever be able to trace where he’d stashed all the money.



“I wanna go to all the fashion boutiques first thing in the morning,” She said, coyly, feeling like her old self. “I must have all the latest fashions. It’s been ages since I was able to go shopping. Is Prada even still in fashion?”



“After the sun goes down,” Angel said, clicking the TV on with the remote.



Cordy giggled into his shoulder, causing Angel to look down at her. She knew something alright and Angel was determined to get to the bottom of it.



“What am I not getting here?” Angel asked, clueless as Cordy giggle again. “Ok, now you better tell me.”



“I can’t tell you.”



Angel growled, rolling her over and trapping her beneath him. “Why not?” He asked, brown eyes melting into brown. “I know you’re hiding something from me.”



“Why not? Hello, ‘and God said’ You’ll have to figure those out on your own.”



He growled again and began tickling her. “What is it?” Angel growled again.



“Truce, truce!” she huffed, attempting to catch her breath. “If you haven’t figured it out by tomorrow morning, I’ll tell you.” She squealed as his fingers poised to tickle her again. “Promise!” she shrieked.



Angel settled back snugly on his side of the bed, thinking. He had no idea what the hell she was talking about, or what God had either for that matter. As he turned to ask her again, it had occurred to him that this was going to be their first night together. After a few moments, the silence had begun to build between them.



“This is an awkward moment,” Angel stated, trying to make conversation.



“Thank you Mr. Obvious.”



“What do you say we go somewhere?” He replied, knowing that this would brighten Cordy’s day.



“What? Are you nuts? I haven’t a thing to wear.” Cordy rolled over. “Besides, it’s…” She looked over at the clock on the night stand. “2:00 am.”



Angel smiled. “I think that I know a few shops that’ll be open by the time we get there.”



“WHAT?” Cordy sat up excited. “Do you mean like in France or Italy?”



Nodding, Angle smilied, “I think I can arrange that.”



“But how?”



“Let me worry about that.”



Eagerly, Cordy jumped out of bed, and headed to the bathroom, while Angel dressed in one of his more classy outfits that had been left at the hotel. As he was waiting for Cordy, Angel had made a few calls, setting into motion an even that would stop Cordy breathless.



When Cordy finally came out of the bathroom refreshed, he was putting on his shoes. “Ready?” Angel asked tying his shoe.



“You know it! God, Europe, I haven’t been there since High School!” A grin crossed her face. She was more than excited to see what Angel’s surprise play out. She’d knew that when thoroughly motivated he was quite the romantic.



“Let’s go, then!” Angel held out his arm for her to take as he led her out into the center of the room. “Oh wait a minute.” He stopped, leaving her there as he moved to the door, opening it for a moment, and speaking to someone before he returned with garment bag a few moments later. “I think this will look much better on you,” He said, handing it over.



Her eyes grew wide with excitement. “What is it? You said you didn’t have anymore of my clothes…?” She was giddy as a little Cordy at Christmas.



“We did, it’s a little something I got for you.”



Cordy unzipped the bag revealing a Dolce and Cabana dress. “Oh my god, how did you get this? Do you know this a Dolce and Cabana? It took me like a month to save up for one like this in this, with what you paid me.” She sniggered as Angel rolled his eyes playfully.



“Now, I’m offended.” He said light-heartedly. “Do you like it?” He asked a few moments later, men were like puppy dogs, needing a pat on the head when they did something good.



Holding the garment bag with her right hand, Cordy snaked her left arm around his neck and leaned in close, “Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I love it and I love you!” She kissed him before darting away to the bathroom.



Angel smiled happily. For the first time since…well for the first time in a long time. He’d really allowed himself to fall for someone. This time he vowed he was going to do right by Cordy. He loved her.



Moments later, Cordy poked her head out the door… “Hun, would you do me the biggest of favors… please??” she pouted, her lower lip sticking out, begging him to bite it.



He melted. “What do you need?” he would have walked in daylight if she asked him to. She grinned, shooting into a description of the errand. He found himself downstairs at the front desk, squatting down to pull open a bottom cabinet that he didn’t even know existed. Looking to the back corner, he saw the bag she had told him would be there. He pulled it out and unzipped it, a sea of make up and hair care products met his eye. He quickly closed it, afraid of what might jump out at him, smiling at the fact that he was afraid of a non demon threat for once in his life.



Half an hour later, bag safely delivered, and Cordelia freshly showered, the bathroom door opened. Black silk hugged her curves, a second skin over her thighs and torso. The curve of her tanned breasts peeking over the neckline. She had taken her hair and pinned it up, leaving wisps to dangle over the cheekbones. She was still an expert at her makeup, and wore it as if it weren’t there. She took a step forward, rewarded with quiet “Wow…” from Angel’s lips. His chocolate eyes raked her form for a moment before he spoke again. “I had forgotten how well you cleaned up. You’re beautiful.”



He couldn’t take his eyes off of her, his mind playing out scene after scene of what he wished to do with her. Shaking the short movie from his awed brain, he beckoned her forward and spun her around, admiring the span of her exposed flesh caused by the low back of the gown. His fingers trembled as he reached into his pocket, drawing out a fragile platinum chain, the only pedant, a single 3 karat diamond. He draped it around her neck and managed to calm his fingers enough to fasten the clasp. He reached into his pocket again, and pulled out a set of matching earrings, long thin strip of platinum with a lone karat set at the end.



He moved her to a mirror, eyes fastened on her face as deposited her there, stepping away to admire her reaction. Her face light up light a star in the sky when she looked at the diamonds. She reached out, grasping his hand and pulling him toward her. Her arms ensnared his neck as she pulled him in for a deep kiss; she came up for air and settled her head on his chest, her eyes absently moving to the forgotten mirror. There was a sharp intake of breath.



Angel, worried, grasped her shoulders and attempted to get her attention. “What is it, what’s wrong?” He noticed her eyes had never left the mirror and he turned to see what she was so enamored with.



His brown eyes focused on the dark haired man standing in front of him, holding tightly to Cordy. It had been so long since he had seen his own reflection that he barely recognized himself. His left hand released Cordelia’s hip and he lifted it to touch his cheek. He brushed his fingers through his hair, He touched the maroon silk shirt, the black leather coat, the curve of his chin, the arch of his eyebrow. “Cordelia...”



She gathered herself together… “It’s another of your gifts sweets, one I didn’t know about. “ She smiled, placing a kiss on his cheek. “Now you can see what I see every day. Now you can see the man I fell in love with.”



He smiled down at her, holding an arm out to her as he spoke. “Shall we? Our chariot awaits, madam.”



“I can hardly wait!” She stopped momentarily. “Shouldn’t we let Lorne know we’re leaving?”



“Already taken care of…They’ll be fine. I talked to him while I was getting you the dress. We both agreed this time away will do us good. We’ll never be on the same page, but like Wes and I, Lorne and I will move on. If he needs us for anything, I’ve given him my cell number. Now can we go?” Angel ushered her down the stairs and out the front door without waiting for her to reply. A sleek white limo laid in wait. The driver opened the door for them as they got closer.



“Oh wow!” Cordy said, sliding in, Angel close behind her. He was treating her like a princess and she couldn’t be happier.



“Driver, to the airport,” Angel said, before the man closed the door. He smiled at her lovingly. “This, my dear, is just the beginning of something wonderful.” He kissed her deeply as the limo drove away leaving the Hyperion behind them.



TBC…