Authors: Magan and Askita

Chapter 6

The clock was striking one am when Buffy awoke. She tossed and turned in her comfortable, yet empty bed for an hour before finally deciding to get some fresh air. She stepped out on the front porch and scanned the night sky, loosing herself in the memory of her last night with Spike. The brightly shining stars and cloudless sky was belied by the chill in the air.

Rubbing her hands together for a bit of warmth, Buffy crossed to the porch swing and settled into its deep cushions, her feet kicking to swing her back and forth. She just couldn’t seem to get the platinum blonde out of her mind. It had been three years since his death, why couldn’t she move on?? The question remained unanswered, even after she’d broken it off with the immortal. Being with him had only reminded her of what she’d lost and she often wondered why she’d sought him out in the first place. Oh sure, he was great in bed, but he was no Spike.

Faith had heard the front door slam shut, and figured it was Buffy. She had been staying with them for few weeks, checking on the slayer activity before heading off to the new offices in Chicago. Faith rose from her bed, kissing Robin lightly on the cheek before going to the front door. She sighed when she saw Buffy on the porch, she had been doing that each night since her arrival, and Faith wondered what was on her friends mind.

Faith stepped out on the porch. Immediately effected by the chilly night air, she rubbed her arms to warm them up.

“Hey B,” Faith said, starling the other girl. “What’s up?”

Buffy turned towards Faith. “Oh, hey,” She smiled weakly.

Faith crossed to the swing, sitting next to Buffy. “Why ya sittin’ here all by yourself, and in the dark no less?”

“Couldn’t sleep. Different bed. New city. All the quietness out here, I am so not used to being in the country.” Buffy told the darker slayer, pulling her knees up to her chest, and wrapping her arms around them.

Faith didn’t buy that excuse, but decided not to push it. “Yeah, I know what ya mean. Took me a whole month to get used to all this.” Faith said, gesturing at the expanse of land that she and Robin had lived on since leaving Sunnydale.

She thought about their home for a few minutes, reminiscing. The house was in dire need of a paint job. Who ever had painted the two story house last hadn’t done a very good job. The old color had begun to bleed through the new, turning the house a dirty gray color. The couple hadn’t gotten around to fixing it up yet, they’d been to busy attending to their many animals and slayer duties. Of course, having a barn was a good place to train any new slayers in the immediate area, and no one was suspicious of the activities going on inside.

With all the slayer activity, Faith really hadn’t had a chance to ask about anyone. She figured this was as a good time as any. “How’s everyone? I mean, I haven’t seen anyone in a long time. Well, I did talk to Kennedy. She’s in Bulgaria or somewhere, since she and Willow broke up.”

“Let’s see, Giles is… Giles. No change there,” the blonde replied.

Faith smiled fondly, Giles was more like a father to her than her own father had ever been. She wasn’t going to say anything negative about him, even though sometimes it was easy to.

“Um, I haven’t seen Dawn in a month. She’s on some assignment for Giles, but the last time we spoke, she said she’d try to meet me in Chicago. And Xander is doing really well. Before I came here, I was at his wedding, in Florida. He married this girl with a striking resemblance to Anya, but he swears it’s not her.”

Faith chuckled. “Our luck, it’s her.”

Indeed it was Anya. God had returned her to the world of the living; vampires weren’t the only ones with rewards. Anya had to work her way back to Xander, although her mind had been wiped clean. When they found each other, Xander kept quiet. He felt guilty about breaking Anya’s heart and wanted to make it up to her, without anyone else knowing, so he lied about who she was, even on their wedding day. Not the best decision, but one none the less.

“Yeah,” Buffy giggled. “Have you heard from Willow? I haven’t seen her in along time. She’s so busy running the Chicago Chapter that we don’t get to speak very often.” Even though Buffy hadn’t heard from her, she was sure that everything was still going as planned.

“Yep, she calls every once and while to check on slayer activity and how training is going. I think she’s immersed herself in work. Since ya’ know.” Unofficially, Faith and Robin were the heads of the Ohio Chapter. The slayers in training lived and trained with them before being shipped off to Chicago, for the next level of training. If they were promising, then they were sent to Giles.

“Oh.” Buffy nodded.

Faith smiled and patted her on the back, “Whatdaya say we hit the hay?”

“I should at least try to sleep.” Buffy gave in, not feeling the least bit tired.

“We’ll do something in the morning, before your flight.” Faith stood, and pulled Buffy to her feet.

Buffy smiled and nodded. It had been so long since she’d been shopping. It would do her good to get out, although, she dearly missed the little Italian boutiques. The last time she’s been shopping, she bought this absolutely perfect little grey skirt suit, and was left with no place to wear it. Seconds later, they walked into the house a few moments later, closing the door behind them.

*****

The next morning the two slayers were dressed and prepared to take the local mall head on. Buffy wanted to stop at ‘Barnes & Noble’. Dawn had recommended a book-on-tape called ‘Storm Front’ from a series called ‘The Dresden Files’. She’d listened to a bit of Dawn’s copy, the man reading had sounded an awful lot like Spike, but it couldn’t possibly be him, the guy wasn’t even British.

Not being big a fan of reading, Faith was interested in a new book about vampires. The SIT’s had suggested it to her. They entered through the double glass doors, the archway into the mall spotted across the way if you looked hard enough. This place was HUGE! Must have to be, what is there to do in the surrounding rural areas?? After accessing the size of the store, and a quick ‘got your cell on’ check, they headed their separate ways.

Faith wandered about the fictional section and immediately finding the book and lifting it off the shelf. Brown eyes scanned the cover and the dark haired girl laughed in surprise. The characters illustrated on the front bore a striking resemblance to Spike and Buffy. Faith shook her head, thinking it was a coincidence. It wasn’t until she turned the book to the back cover, she skimmed the passage that she realized just how wrong she was.

The ‘Big Bad’ he was called, come to add another Slayer to the notches in his belt. Things changed, a soul was gained. All for her he saved himself from the depths of hel,l saved himself from evil.’

“No, way!” Faith practically shouted, she ducked her shoulders a bit as people about her whipped their heads around to stare. She furrowed her brow and lowered her voice. “That’s just too much of a coincidence.”

It couldn’t be. Spike was dead. There’s no way a he could write a novel, being a pile of ashes in what used to be Sunnydale. But the book did sound interesting. She definitely wanted to check it out, but first she needed to find Buffy. She took out her cell and began to dial.

Buffy found the book on tape she was searching for-‘Storm Front, Book One of The Dresden Files’. As she was reading the back cover, her phone let out a shrill ring. She grabbed the cell and flipped it open, seeing Faith’s name on display, she quickly pressed the button to answer it.

“Where are you?” she heard Faith’s voice ask her.

“Just finishing up over at the Book-on-Tape section. Why?”

“I’m done, on my way over.”

“Ok…” Buffy said, still confused. She heard the line click dead, and stuffed her phone back into her purse. It was then that she felt the strange feeling come her on her senses. She struggled to shake it off for only a second before it succumbed to her Slayer senses and followed her instincts. She felt almost in a trace as she walked, bumping into nearly every person who stood in her path. Finally Buffy came to a stop, finding herself in the poetry section, smack dab in front of a display of a book called ‘The Effulgence of Beauty.’

When Buffy came into full control of her body, she reached shakily toward the nearest copy of the leather bound volume. Her mind yelled at her, she knew of only one person he had ever heard use the word ‘effulgent’, but… he was dead… right? At first Buffy believed it to be a joke, and she searched around her to see who pulled the prank, but the combination of a whole display of books and the fact that the only other person in the isle was a little old lady with dark brown hair, pulled back in a bun, deterred her from the idea of a prank.

“Hello,” the old woman smiled, looking at the book in Buffy’s hand. “I see you have ‘The Effulgence of Beauty’ there.”

Buffy glanced down at the book in her hand and then back up at the lady. She couldn’t control the trembling in her hands.

“I-I-” She stumbled over the words. “Do you know who the author is?” Buffy asked, unevenly.

“Oh, yes. He’s such a nice young man. I met him at an autograph session here a few months back. His name is William Bartlett.” The little old lady replied, clasping her hands in fond memory. “The poems are ever so sad, but you can tell that he really loved the lady he wrote about,” The older lady continued, knowingly.

Buffy opened and closed her mouth. She was stunned. Spike was alive. Or at least she was beginning to think that way.

“Oh, don’t be shy dear; I think you should get the book.” The old lady noticed Buffy complexion go from rosy to completely ghost white. The lady stepped forward, worriedly. “Goodness child, are you ok?” She asked, placing her hand gently on Buffy’s arm.

“I- I,” Buffy stammered, “I- I don’t know-” Before she hand a chance to finish her statement, Faith came up behind her, calling out her name, causing Buffy to turn, the book slipping from her grasp as she did so. The thud sounded in the back of her mind as she tried to focus on the words coming out of faith’s mouth.

God sniggered as he watched the young blonde turn to face the friend, knowing that the poor girl would think herself crazy when he turned around and the little old woman she was speaking to was gone. He smiled again, seeing that the girl was preoccupied with her friend, and disappeared before he was seen by the dark haired slayer.

“Hey B, got what you wanted?” Faith asked, stopping in front of Buffy, and quickly taking note of the color on Buffy face. “What’s the matter?”

Buffy ran a hand through her hair. “I- I don’t know. I was just talking to this old lady about-” She turned around to find that the woman had disappeared. “Um, I- I think something is going on.” She said, turning back to Faith.

“What are you talking about?” Faith asked curiously. “What old lady?” She craned around to see who Buffy was talking about. “I don’t see anyone. Buffy are you ok? You look like hell!” Faith glanced down at the book. “What’s this?” She asked, squatting and picking it up. “A book of poems? I didn’t think you read anything like that.”

Buffy took a few deep breaths to control her nerves. “Read the title.” She said a few moments later.

“‘The Effulgence of Beauty’?” Faith didn’t have any idea what Buffy was talking about. “Wha- Buffy, I don’t understand”

Normally Buffy wouldn’t know what the word meant, or any in the dialect, but this one she remembered. From Spike. She remembered it from his description of Cicely, from a poem or two of hers that she had read of his; on the rare occasion he would let her into that part of his life.

“Spike.” Was all Buffy was able to say.

“What does Spike have to do with this?” Faith asked inquisitively as she eyed her friend thoughtfully.

“This is his… a word I’ve only ever heard coming from his lips, only ever read in his poetry, his past.”

“So. Buffy, it doesn’t mean it’s him.” Faith took a deep breath assuring herself that no one else was around before continuing on, the next part of her statement was going sting pretty badly. “Spike’s dead! It’s not Spike!”

Yep, it stung. Faith watched as tears began welling up in her friend’s eyes.

Buffy knew it was Spike. It had to be! It was as if he was saying, ‘I’m here! Come find me.’ Buffy knew it! And who was that little old woman. She seemed familiar in some weird way?

Buffy snatched the book away from Faith. “Spike’s alive. I can feel it.”

At first Faith wasn’t buying it, but then she glanced at the book in her hand and then at the one in Buffy’s. They were both written by the same man, William Bartlett, something was defiantly going on here and it sure smelled fishy.

“You really believe he’s alive?” Faith asked a moment later. Buffy just nodded. “Ok, brace yourself,” She handed the book over to Buffy. Buffy’s eyes went wide with shock. “Yep. That’s the same reaction I got. But it’s not just the picture on the front, look at the description on the back cover.”

After a few seconds, Buffy looked back up from the book. “I have got to go find him,” Buffy said, tears glistening in her eyes.

“You can’t just go storming in guns blazing, Buffy”

Wait, those words just came out of Faith’s mouth?? Normally she’d be gung-ho about ‘storming in guns blazing’. She’d breeze into the place and kick a little ass, ask questions later. It usually worked for her. Why couldn’t it work for Buffy?

“You would…” Buffy replied sarcastically, as she put on her resolve face. She was feeling so many emotions that she could barely contain them.

“Well, yeah.” Faith replied sheepishly, “But, you don’t even know where he is, if he’s even alive.” She said seriously.

“I’ll find him.” Buffy turned on her heals and headed towards checkout. Faith followed a moment later. “And when I do,” she paused as Faith caught up to her, in thought as she steeled herself, “I’m gonna kick his ass.”

******

As soon as Buffy and Faith were back at the farm, Buffy headed to her room to pack her bag, and Faith called the airlines to switch flights. They hadn’t said anything to Robin yet, but he had suspected something happened at the mall. They didn’t bring back many purchases.

“Faith,” Robin said, interrupting her on the phone. “What’s going?”

“Nothing.” Faith replied remaining tight lipped.

Robin sighed. “Did you two have a fight?”

Faith shook her head. “No, never.” He sent her a look, “Well, not since I’ve been on the side of the good fight.”

“Why does she want to leave?” Robin asked, glancing down the hallway.

“Look…” Faith held the phone away. “I can’t tell you. She asked me not to say anything. I’m not going to betray that until she tells me it’s ok.” She felt bad for yelling at him, but he knew better than to pester her about it! Geez!

Relenting, Robin leaned in, planting a soft kiss on her lips and backing away in defeat, palms raised in the air. “Ok, I’ll just go outside and check on the dogs.”

Faith resumed her call with the airlines, a wicked grin on her lips as she sent him a ‘we’ll-talk-later’ look. A few moments later, everything was taken care of and Buffy was packed.

“I’m all ready,” Buffy announced, floating into the living room, suitcase and carryon in tow.

Faith had been sitting on the sofa, waiting. She smiled when she saw Buffy. “Everything is all taken care of. The ticket is waiting for you. We’ll have to go soon, if you want to make it on time.”

“I have to make one phone call, and then we can go. Gotta apologize to Willow for not going.” Buffy crossed to the sofa, sitting next to Faith. “Thanks!” she said when Faith handed her the phone. Buffy dialed Willow’s number, and waited for it to connect. “Hey Will!”

“Hey, Buffy!” Willow greeted excitedly. “I’m so excited about you visiting. I can’t wait.” The red head was so happy to hear from her friend, she could barely contain herself.

“Yeah, about that.” Buffy said; she hated to do this when her friend was so excited. “I won’t be able to make it.” How was she to explain this to Willow? “Something’s come up.”

“Like what?” Willow asked, confused.

“In LA, something’s come up. I have to go.” Buffy responded quickly.

A few months back one of Willow’s SIT’s had told her about a blonde man fighting with Angel in last big apocalypse. As the girl was explaining it, Willow had suspected it was Spike, but didn’t see how at all possible he could have survived. She came to the conclusion it was simply a coincidence and over time, forgotten about it, until now, it was as if the memories had suddenly come back to her. It made sense now, but how did Buffy find out?

Willow wasn’t going to press the issue. The petite blonde was stubborn when it came to Spike.

“Oh ok.” The sadness in her friend’s voice was evident, making Buffy feel guilty. Willow continued in a lighter voice, “Call me later; we’ll make plans or something.”

“Oh Will, I hate to bail like this. I really do.” Buffy said honestly. “I’ll call you later.” They said their goodbyes and Buffy hung up the phone, handing it back to Faith.

“We should motor if we want to make it on time.” Faith stood up, waiting.

“Yeah.”

******

The plane ride was long and uneventful. It might have been better if she hadn’t been the only passenger, but it gave her time to think and read some of the poems that Spike had written.

The first poem was titled ‘I was scared to love you.’*

“The world was after me, or so it seemed,
You were my one true light.
All I needed was your love, and all your heart untamed,
To make it through the night.”

{This poem was written by me (Askita), and unfortunately I never finished it, because we only needed one stanza.}

Buffy was only able to read the first stanza before her tears blurred her vision. It killed her to see how little he wanted of her. She had been so afraid to give him her love, her heart. She always unable to say it to him, to tell him what she truly felt, and here it was written in black and white, bound in leather. His silent plea. It broke her heart. Why couldn’t she just admit it before when he’d ask her? Why couldn’t she have just saved him? They’d be together right now?

Sniffling, Buffy turned the next page. The poem had been entitled ‘I wait…’**

“My mind runs rampant
As my wild imagination takes over.
Envisioning all we could be together,
You and I,
While the stars shine down upon us
Patiently or impatiently…
I wait…”

{This one was also written by me(Askita again), back in August of 2002, got to this link, http://www.geocities.com/little_one_askita/alpoh5poem-iwait.html to check out the entire poem.}


Buffy shut the book, too heartbreaking for her to read, and set it beside her on the seat. For now, she would watch the clouds go by. It seemed to be the only thing that didn’t require much thinking.

After awhile, a tall, dark haired stewardess pushed a tray out towards Buffy, and tapped her on the shoulder.

“Huh? Oh?” Buffy said, pulling her attention from the pale blue sky.

“I’m sorry to bother you, Miss. I thought you could probably use a drink and maybe a sandwich.” The stewardess suggested.

Buffy nodded realizing that she hadn’t eaten since this morning, the rumbling in her stomach announcing its revolt. “Thank you. I do feel a little hungry.” She said, taking the foot and drink. She looked up at the young woman. “Do I know you? You look really familiar.”

“Um, me?” The stewardess asked, placing a hand on her chest. “No, I don’t think so. I guess I have that kind of face that everyone thinks they know.” She smiled kindly as she looked down at the book next her. “OH, you’ve read that?” She said pointing.

“The book?” Hazel eyes moved to where the young brunette was pointing for a second then back as she replied. “Not really. I read the first two pages and I couldn’t get through it. It was so sad.” In her mind she added, ‘I caused him so much pain. It’s my fault.’

“It’s a very good book. You should read the whole thing,” recommended the stewardess. “The man lost someone dear to him.” She sighed, and headed back to her station.

“Me too!” Buffy mumbled before taking a bite of her lunch.

Even though so much time has passed, she wanted to make things work for them. The past didn’t matter. They could start fresh and make a new beginning, but not before she kicked his ass for not telling her he was alive. She looked down at the book again.

Before she realized it, the plane had landed. It was long and uneventful, and never once did she open the book back up, although she made sure to put her in her bag, so she wouldn’t forget it.

Buffy looked for the dark haired stewardess who had brought her he food, wanting to offer a final thanks, but he woman was gone. She asked the pilot, but he said he didn’t know of anyone aboard with the description and the stewardess that had been assigned was sick with the flu. Buffy thought it was strange, but decided not to allow it bother her. She collected her things and headed out to the front of the airport, where she hailed a cab and told the driver to head straight for The Hyperion Hotel as fast as he could. It was the only place she knew to look for information on Spike.

***

Twenty minutes later, the cab pulled up in front of the old hotel, and Buffy slid out, heading inside, she’d ask the driver to stay behind. As she walked through the front door, Buffy noticed that it was now a fully functioning hotel. She really hadn’t expected that, but of course, she been out of the loop with Angel for so long. She wasn’t even aware that he had bought the hotel.

A young man dressed in a hotel uniform of the 1950’s approached her. He looked to be in his early twenties, with big blue eyes and a bright smile that he was now sending her way. “My name is Michael. How can I help you?” Buffy supposed he was the concierge.

“I’m looking for Angel.” Buffy replied.

“He and his wife are busy at the moment. Is there something that I can help you with?” Michael asked, kindly.

“Married? Since when?” Buffy asked, astonished.

When did Angel have time to get married? Why hadn’t he told her?

“Mr. Angel and Ms. Cordelia have been married almost 2 years, I believe.”

HELLO! Did he just say Cordelia? “I thought that she was dead?” Buffy said, confused.

Michael shook his head at the ridiculous notion. “Oh no, you must be thinking of someone else.”

Something wasn’t quite right here and Buffy had to get to the bottom of it. “Well, if they aren’t here, is there someone else I can speak to?” Buffy insisted. “I need to speak to someone.” ‘You obviously aren’t helping me!’ She added silently to herself.

“Well, you can leave a message with me and I’ll make sure that Mr. Angel gets it.”

It was almost as if Angel didn’t want to see her. Of course, hadn’t she told him she no longer trusted him? Oh, right. She did say that. Sighing, she said, “When will they be available?”

Before the young man had a chance to reply, Cordelia and Angel walked out of the office, surprise at seeing Buffy plain on the faces. How were they going to explain Cordelia being alive?

“Buffy?” Angel said surprised. “What are you doing here?” He walked over to her, and gave her a quick hug. He didn’t take the time to worry about what she was going to do. It was just good to see her after all this time.

Cordelia stayed her distance and wasn’t to pleased with her husband at the moment. Michael had excused himself, and crossed to the counter to wait on another customer.

“Angel, I need to speak to you, privately.” Buffy glanced at Cordelia.


“Whatever you have to say to Angel, you can say to me!” Cordy crossed to them, lacing her fingers with Angel’s proving that he loved her and not Buffy.

Turning to Cordelia, Angel gave his wife an apologetic looked. “Cordelia, please. Will you go upstairs check on Katherine?”

“All right.” Cordelia relented, leaning in to kiss Angel before heading upstairs.

Seeing the display, didn’t even make Buffy jealous. She had eyes for someone else. She just hoped said platinum blonde would take her back.

“Shall we?” Angel stepped aside, allowing Buffy to go first. “Right in there.” He directed. Once in the office, he took his seat behind the desk, while Buffy sat in the chair in front of the desk.

“It’s so good to see you, Buffy.” Angel smiled warmly.

Instead of responding, Buffy fished in her bag, pulling out the book of poems, sliding it across the desk for Angel to see.

“What’s this?” Angel asked, in mock surprise. He knew very well what it was, he just hoped she wasn’t going to ask about Spike. He wasn’t prepared to tell her anything.

“Don’t even think about lying to me Angel.”

“Lie to you? About what?” Angel asked, evasive.

“Come off it, Angel. I know.” Buffy raised an eyebrow at him. “Don’t even sit there and lie to me.”

He handed the book back to her, “I don’t know what you’re talking about, Buffy.” He stood then, and walked to the front of the desk, kneeling in front of her. “Buffy, he’s dead. You’re gonna have move past it.”

“Do Not go there! Tell me where he is, NOW!” Buffy stood up, almost knocking Angel back.

“All right!” Angel said. “I’ll tell you.” He had hated lying to her, but she had a right to know. He quickly jotted down the address, and handed the paper to her.

“Thank you!” Buffy kissed Angel on the cheek. “If you talk to him, please don’t say anything. I want it to be surprise.”

‘It’ll be a surprise all right.’ Angel thought, smiling. “I won’t say anything.”

Buffy stopped, her hand on the doorknob, “By the way, how is Cordy alive and who is Katherine? Oh, and what happened with Connor?”

“Long drawn out story, you don’t want to know the details.”

“Oh, well you can tell me later. Thanks!”

“Yeah!” Angel said, watching her leave. Cordy had come into the office a moment later. “Hey!”

“You told, her didn’t you?” She said crossing her arms over her chest.

“I couldn’t lie to her. She had a right to know.”

Cordy couldn’t argue with that, so she decided to change the subject. “Did you tell her about Annabella?”

Angel shook his head in reply.

****

The cab pulled up to the house ten minutes later. Buffy paid the driver, grabbed her bags, and headed up to the door, the sound of the driver pulling away fading behind her. She raised her hand to knock and got nervous lowering her hand to her side. She couldn’t do it, here she was, in front of Spike’s house, able to knock on his door, and she couldn’t do it. As she decided to leave, the door flew open, startling her.

“Why, hello little lady. Who might you be?” Buffy found herself staring up into the face of a green skinned demon with horns. He was dressed in casual clothes, a pair of jeans and a red t-shirt.

“Um, I think I got the wrong house.” Buffy said, turning again to leave, until he called out to her by name. She turned around, surprised. “You- know my name?”

“You’re Buffy, right?”

She nodded. “Well, come on in then!”

Buffy followed him inside. “My name’s Lorne, by the way.”

“Well, nice to meet you, Lorne.”

Lorne took her through the foyer and into the living room. She took in her surroundings it was a well lit room, windows all about. A young dark haired woman sat in the far corner of the room, playing with a little blonde haired girl. Buffy knew of Connor, and only naturally assumed that the little girl was Spike’s daughter, the woman his wife. Fear set in, causing Buffy to back away when the young woman noticed her.

“Hey!” The young woman said in a Texan accent, a bright smile lighting her face. As much as Buffy wanted to, she found herself unable to dislike the woman.

“Hi.” Buffy said, nervously, bags still clutched in her hands. “Is Spike here?” She asked, turning towards Lorne. It had been so long, Buffy had forgotten the tingles that Spike had caused.

“Yes, Spike’s here. I’ll go get him.” Lorne left the room.

It had quickly become awkward for Buffy. She glanced up at the woman and the little girl anxiously, feeling like she was intruding on family time- Spike’s family. At the same time, Buffy felt a stab of jealously, the urge to hate this woman rearing its ugly head again. That was supposed to be her with that child.

“I’m Fred, by the way. Come sit down.” She said, picking up the child and bringing her to the sofa. Buffy slid her hand along the dark red fabric of the matching loveseat before moving to sit beside the woman. Absently she noted how soft it was.

“It’s so good to finally meet you.” Fred said, conversationally.

“It is?”

Fred nodded, smiling again. The little girl remained quite, waiting for her daddy.

“How was Italy?”

“Good.” Buffy looked over the little girl and smiled. She had his color eyes, definitely. She glanced up at Fred again and returned her smile.

Lorne returned a few moments later, Spike trailing behind him. The blonde was dreading this moment. He hadn’t seen her in along time; he’d never expected to see her again. If his heart could beat, it would be pounding his chest, he paused at the threshold, digging his heels into the rug in the entry hall. Lorne grasped his forearm and pulled him along into the living room.

Buffy’s head snapped to the entryway at the sound of someone entering. She was totally shocked. She had been expecting the old Spike, the Spike she knew from years ago black duster, jeans, t-shirt, and Doc’s firmly in place. This, this was a totally new Spike, a Spike dressed in casual clothes, a white polo shirt and tan khaki’s. He never looked sexier.

“Come on Fred, let’s leave them alone. They have a lot to talk over.” Lorne said, looking pointedly at Spike, who just raised his scared eyebrow.

Fred stood, walking toward Lorne, as she was passing Spike; the little girl reached out and grabbed his arms in a grip that looked like it was unbreakable. She spoke for the first time, “Who dat that, daddy?”

Spike smiled at his little girl. “It’s ok pixie, go with Auntie Fred and Uncle Lorne. Daddy’ll be along shortly.” He kissed her on the nose, grinning at her pout and then obvious surrender as Fred carried her from the room. Then he turned towards Buffy.

Buffy couldn’t believe how tender he was with the little girl; it was definitely a side of him she’d missed.

“Spike, I—”

“Look…” Spike’s voice cracked. “You don’t have to say anything. I went to your place to tell you I was alive. I wanted to start fresh, but you’d left.” It had been the worst moment in his life, how could he forget? “We had our chance. End of story.”

Spike was attempting to put on a brave façade, but the walls he had built were quickly crumbling around him. He wanted to wrap her in his arms, make love to her. His mind wandered and his memory of their last night picked up where it left off before he had been interrupted by The Immortal. Images of her flashed across his minds eye, her tanned pert breasts encased in a black lacy bra, his hands sliding up her skin, her thighs straddling his.

She was leaning over him, her lips on his, her teeth nibbling at his tender skin. Her hips ground into his. Deliciously insane. The adjective echoed through his head as he slid his hands along her downy soft curves, up her back to the hook and eye clasp that held the black lace together.

She rolled her shoulders, allowing the black bra to slip down her arms. A growl and Spike rolled her beneath him, burying his face in the crook of her neck.

After a moment, Buffy noticed that Spike’s pants were tenting a bit, other telltale signs of his arousal were becoming noticeable, the glazed look in his eyes, that sexy way he bit his lip when he was thinking of something naughty. She smiled a bit, thinking she could still make him hot after all this time. Their last night together again popped into her brain.

It had been a night of magic, soul searching, and love. The intimate details flashed across her mind unbidden. The expanse of pale white chest, muscled and hairless. His lips on her neck and shoulders. Him filling her, completing her, whispered words of love complete with bedroom eyes and voice. Buffy shook off the memories, she needed to clear her head.

Spike too, brought himself out of his reverie. He brought his hand up and ran it through is hair, “Would you like to stay for a dinner? We have quite a bit to talk about.” He cleared his throat uncertain. “Um, do you have any place to stay tonight?”

Buffy smiled, shaking her head. It certainly was going to be along night.

TBC