Author's Chapter Notes:
A/N: Sorry about the long wait, my Son has been taking up a lot of time! I’ve made it a point to get back to my writing… Thanks, Kristi
Chapter 7-

Darkness fell over Los Angeles as Angel, Cordy, and Katherine sat down for dinner in their private dinning room. Wonderful scents wafted from the kitchen, calling everyone's name, but they had been forewarned not to bother cook until it was finished. Instead they passed the time chatting.

"I haven't heard from Spike yet, have you?" Cordy asked her husband as she took a sip of white wine.

Angel shook his head, dark locks settling slightly askew as he responded, "No, and I'm kinda worried."

"What happened, daddy?" Thirteen year old Katherine asked. "Is Uncle Spike in trouble?"

"No sweetie," Cordy reassured her adopted daughter as she smiled. "An old friend ours came for a visit."

After Katherine had made her appearance at Cordelia and Angel's wedding two years ago, Angel had decided to make a wrong into a right and adopt his little sister, making her his and Cordelia's daughter, legally.

The teenager eyed her parents warily; she could tell that they were keeping something from her, but news hadn't sounded terribly bad and it made her wonder why they were keeping this from her.

"What aren't you telling me?" she finally asked.

Before they could explain anything the cook brought their dinner in. Everyone began eating in silence, each lost in their own thoughts. The little girl looked up at her parents a few times, noticing them glance at each other, and realized they had begun to treat the situation with the worst possible outcome.

****

Once dinner had finished, Cordy and Katherine went upstairs to their suite to watch a little TV, leaving Angel to deal with a mini-crisis with a customer. Everyone's plan was to turn in early enough to get a jump start on the mall crowd. Cordelia was on a sale hunt.

After dealing with the unsatisfied customer and moving him to a different room, Angel trudged up stairs, Spike still weighing heavily on his mind as he settled onto the couch next to his wife.

****

The former couple remained quiet for several more moments, before Lorne left the room, unnoticed. He stood watching from the doorway for a few moments and shook his head in disbelief. 'Looks like these two are gonna need a little help getting their ducks back in a row. It won't hurt for me to play cupid for a little bit.'

"Standing there's not going to accomplish anything." Lorne smiled as he crossed to Spike, standing next to him.

"Dinner's ready. We made pork chops, seasoned in paprika and thyme, and mashed potatoes smothered in butter plus gravy, corn, and rolls for sides. Sound good? Yeah." Still smiling, Lorne shook his head.

"Um, sure, why not, sounds great." Spike finally said, looking away from Buffy to Lorne.

"Sure."

They left the den, stepping into the foyer with intent on entering the dining room when Annabella came barreling toward them, calling out for her father. Buffy was witnessing what could be officially considered the most adorable site in the world. She found herself wishing the little girl was theirs. She consoled herself with the strange coincidence that the little girl kinda looked like her and any random passerby would assume she was Buffy's daughter.

"Daaa- ddeee, when ya gonna come eat?" Annabella asked, pouting a bit as Spike scooped her up in his arms.

"We were just headin' that way, Bella." Spike answered kissing her on the tip of her tiny little noise.

"Good!" The little girl smiled brightly.

'God, she's so cute!' Buffy thought with a sigh as she watched the father and daughter interact.

When she had seen the little blonde for the first time, she could have sworn she heard her biological clock begin to tick. Now the thought was only confirmed by its continual loud, clear clicking. She sighed, her attention swiftly taken by the large kitchen she glimpsed to her right before they entered the dining room. It was rather homey and very large, but it looked lived in, and that was important.

"Hi again!" Fred said as quartet entered the room. "So you're gonna stay after all. Good, 'cause I already set up one more spot for you."

Buffy glanced at the large wooden table that loomed in front of her. All the food had been laid out for easy access, and each one of the green-skinned-demons previously mentioned dishes looking quite inviting. She took the nearest empty seat, ending up next to Lorne, while Spike sat at the end of the table, next to his daughter. She watched as he placed the food on her plate, and cut it into smaller portions before setting it on the tray of her high-chair.

The more she saw this side of Spike, the more she liked it.

"Dig in!" Lorne spoke, breaking Buffy's train of thought. She watched as Spike dug into his own plate, keeping an eye on his daughter, all the while. Seeing him eat normal food was a little unsettling. She knew he had always eaten food--he especially liked hot wings and friend onion blossoms, but something about the way he ate now made her curious. Buffy made a mental note to ask him about it later.

After their meals were finished, dishes washed and cleaned, and put in their proper places, everyone retired to the living room, save for Spike. He had retreated upstairs with Annabella, who was bathed and put to bed. When he finally returned, they were watching 'Bewitched' the old black and white version with the original Darren. Spike watched from the bottom of the stairs as Buffy laughed at the antics of the witch. He'd forgotten what her laugh sounded like. It brought back memories of Sunnydale, of the crypt--their crypt.
Spike and Buffy bustled in from the cold night air, the heat of the recent slay still running through their veins. They didn't wait for the bedroom. As a matter of fact, they were still quite a few feet from the ladder that led down into the bedroom when they tore their clothes from their bodies. In that moments the need to release pent up aggression took over, right then and there. It was quick and rough, just the way they liked it. Once they were finished, they'd gone into the bedroom. She lay on the bed, while Spike had gone to his little toy chest. He was tossing the things out of the box over his shoulder, not paying attention to where any of them landed.

"Hey!" Buffy whined when one hit her in the head. "Watch where you through that stuff. That hurt."

Spike turned around and grinned when he saw the slayer rubbing her head.

"Slayer got a booboo?" Spike teased, crossing to the bed. "You want Spike to kiss it make it better?" He asked, not being able to resist mocking her.

"Shut up!" Buffy pouted.

The vampire pounced on the bed, crawling towards Buffy as if she were a small helpless animal he were hunting. When she tried to get away, Spike gripped her by one of her ankles, and pulled her back down on the bed, beginning to unmercifully tickle her ribs.

His lips contacted with the skin just below her belly button, and he noticed a shiver run up her spine and goose bumps spread over her flesh.

"STOP!" Buffy couldn't help but laugh, and playfully push him away.
Fred noticed Spike in the doorway, smiling. "Spike, you all right?"

"Um, yeah, fine." Spike cleared his throat, nervously. "I'll just be in my study." He threw over his shoulder as he quickly turned and crossed the hallway disappearing into his study.

"What's wrong with him?" Fred asked, turning toward Lorne, a small frown on her face.

"Old ghosts, pumpkin. Nothing for you to worry about." Lorne smiled, leaving it at that.

For Buffy on the other hand, it was something to worry about. She knew he must have been thinking about her, about them, about their past.

"Excuse me." she said as she stood and headed into the study. The only sound coming from the room was the light click as the heavy oak settled closed. Spike had opened the French doors, and stood looking out into the starry night sky. The moonlight cascaded over his chiseled features taking Buffy's breath away. "Spike." She said a moment later. She'd forgotten how he looked standing in the moonlight.

Slowly, Spike turned, but said nothing.

"If me being here is too hard for you, I can go to The Hyperion."

"No, please. I-I want you to. stay." He clenched his fists, words usually came easily for Spike, but tonight, it just wasn't the case. All the things he really wanted to say wouldn't form into sentences on his lips. It had been so long, to long, since he'd found himself in the position to say anything to Buffy, let alone share his innermost thoughts.

Silence prevailed as Spike closed the French doors. The electricity in the room bouncing between them, each wanted the other more than either knew.

*******

Later that evening, Spike lay in his bed, staring at the ceiling tiles, thinking of nothing but the Slayer. Her scent, her smile, her laugh; her being back had wreaked havoc on his sensibilities.

Unbeknownst to Spike, downstairs in the den Buffy was having the same dilemma. She had been tossing and turning since Spike had announced his intent to retire for the night. Everyone had broke away after their goodnight's and she had made herself a bed on the fold out couch.

She had traveled halfway across the Country to find him. Only to discover he had a daughter, a house, a family, and a life. Was she really ready to bring all that crashing down?

After another hour of tossing and turning, Spike decided that a snack might be just the trick to get his body to give in to the peace of sleep his mind so craved. As he rounded the corner, a sight for sore eyes made him stop dead in his tracks. There she sat, at the island, her back to him and facing the fridge. Releasing the breath he had unknowingly been holding, he drew in another deep one before entering.

His eyes traveled up her body, the tanned taught skin covering a well molded calf. Upward, to the tight rounded bottom encased in pink and yellow striped boy shorts, his palms itching to feel the firmness once again. His sapphire gaze breezed up over the delicate arch of her spine, the matching camisole top she was wearing baring just the right amount of skin, and tight in all the right places.

Spike adjusted himself before walking further into the kitchen. Just looking at her had made him instantly hard, even the failed attempt at pleasuring himself to get her off his mind earlier in the night hadn't worked to stave off his arousal.

'Something has got to give!' he thought to himself, groaning quietly.

"Oh, Spike." Buffy said, before taking another bite of her banana. "I didn't hear you come down. I hope I didn't wake you." Her eyes took their turn raking his form. He wore only pajama bottoms, black ones with little bones all over them, but the cartoon dog at the bottom of the right leg did nothing to ward off her immoral thoughts at the sight of his barely concealed erection. Spike was still as muscular as she remembered, but he appeared to have gained a little bit of weight. He still looked every bit the hot vampire she'd fallen in love with back in Sunnydale.

"Couldn't sleep." Spike muttered, heading for the refrigerator. He opened the freezer and retrieved a bottle of vodka from where it was stashed in the back. He brought the bottle up to his lips, taking a small swig. He could barely watch her eat that banana, it was driving him insane.

Spike couldn't take it anymore, being this close to her and not touching her, not kissing her, not doing a damn thing. "To 'ell with it!" He dropped the bottle. It crashed to the floor, shattering into tiny pieces.

"Spike?" Buffy said, worried as she watching the bottle hit the floor, and shatter into a million pieces.

Spike took two quick strides and without saying a word pulled Buffy into his arms, his lips meeting hers in a hard kiss. At first, Buffy fought it, but soon she couldn't fight her body anymore, going lax in his arms, she let her desires take over and returned the kiss with just as much force. She opened her mouth to him, delighting in the taste of him mingled with the distinct taste of vodka as his tongue entered to conquer her own. When air became an issue for the slayer, Spike broke the kiss, and cleared the island with his arm, lifting her, he placed her on the table, and kissed her once again.

His senses were going wild. The feel of her lips on his driving him mad. His hands moved to roam over her, up her sides, along her back. They glided forward to cup the mounds of her breasts through her camisole.

Buffy was in heaven once again, his touch having ever been the only thing that brought her back to that exquisite place. She wrapped her legs around his waist, grinding her sex into his cock, needing more. His mouth moved from hers, to nuzzle into her neck. He stopped, slowed his motions, attempted to control his breathing. She felt his hands move to her hips, griping them tightly to cease her movement.

Hazel eyes looked right at him, confusion evident in their depths. He smiled, softly. "Not tonight pet. I want." his words trailed off at the disappointment in her eyes. He kissed her again, softly. "I want it to be special, not in the kitchen, in the middle of the night, surrounded by sleeping people. I want everyone to know. No more sneaking around Buffy. If we're going to do this again, we're going to do it right."

She smiled at him, slipping her arms around him, snuggling into his neck. "Will you hold me tonight?"

Spike's breath caught in his throat. "Of course pet."

*******

Later, after the shattered vodka bottle had been cleaned up. After the fruit bowl had been returned to the island. After the den had been set to rights and Buffy lay wrapped in his arms, a smile crossed her face. There was still a lot to work through, but they were off to a good start. Secure in the silence and the feel of being in his arms once again, she drifted off into a much needed, deep sleep.

TBC