Disclaimer: All the characters presented in this chapter are the property of Joss Whedon and Mutant Enemy Productions, Inc. No copyright infringement is intended.

Chapter rating: PG-13

Feedback: Please review. We’re not kidding here. We crave feedback the way Spike craves blood and Buffy craves, well you know . You can also send us e-mails at BuffySpikeshiper@aol.com

Author’s note: This is the second half of what turned out to be our longest chapter to date. The trouble with these expository chapters is that you have so much ground to cover that you either leave a lot of stuff out, or you write 12,000 words-and still leave stuff out. Not to worry though. The action is now getting underway so we should have lot shorter chapters, filled with much kicking of demon/and or vampire posterior.





Chapter Three


Home is Where the Heartbreak is


Part II


Written by Phil and Jules




****


"So much for a nice, relaxing evening at home," Buffy muttered to no one in particular.

The really ironic thing of course, had been that up until Willow had decided to breeze in and out again like 'Hurricane Wicca,' Buffy had actually been having what could be described in some cultures as fun, pretty much for the first time since coming back last month. It had taken her weeks to get to the point that she could bring herself to enjoy even the simplest of pleasures, like getting an ice cream headache or smiling at one of Xander's lame jokes. The whole readjustment back to the land of the living had been very hard for her. So much had changed in the last five months that she sometimes had a really hard time remembering that this had been her life. Everything seemed so strange and different, like it was all happening to someone else. Like she was watching a stupid soap opera about some strange girl she had never heard of before. This week on "The Adventures of Buffy the Reanimated Corpse..." Great. Just freaking great.

Not that she was entirely unhappy to be back home. Not at all. She didn't really remember much of where she had been while she was "gone"-a term that made her decidedly queasy, but one that the gang all insisted on using. It was just that everybody was acting so weird around her. Then again, they didn't seem to be acting too normally around each other, either.

Xander and Anya were arguing a lot these days, so much that they had put off their wedding for a while. The fact that they had been getting married in the first place had been enough to completely baffle her. She could remember her exact words on first hearing the happy news too. "Umm, okay?" Shudder. Now she had no idea what to think.

Giles had been wonderful since she had been back, a total tower of strength, but Buffy could tell that the strain of trying to sort out everybody's problems was getting to him. He looked old, something she had never noticed before. Old, and tired and just plain worn out. He and Willow were constantly fighting, a lot more than even she and Tara had been. It was now so bad that Willow avoided the Magic Box all the time which, Buffy had to admit, seemed to help everybody's comfort zone.

Willow. God, she just couldn't get her mind around how much her best friend had changed this year. She had always been the sweetest person in the world, one of the most important people in her life; one Buffy had always been able to count on no matter what. She had saved them all against Glory that night, but now she was turning into somebody that Buffy could barely recognize. It was hurting all of them, but it was slowly killing Tara.

Poor Tara. It had really pained Buffy to listen to that fight. To watch Tara have to push Willow away because she couldn't take what was happening to them both was just heartbreaking. After everything that had happened in the past five years, the last thing that she needed was more heartache in her life. In all their lives.

And then there was Dawn. Buffy allowed herself a small sigh at the thought of all the grief that her little sister had been forced to endure in her very young life. This was just the icing on the cake. Geez, I thought my life sucked.

"Is she gone, then?" Dawn's voice abruptly cut into her consciousness from behind her.

Taken a bit by surprise, Buffy responded rather absent-mindedly “Who, honey?”

“Mega-witch beeyotch. Who else would I mean?” Dawn added, a touch of defiance creeping into her voice.

“Dawnie, don’t say things like that. Not about Willow. I know you don’t mean them...”

“Don’t tell me what I mean. She’s acting like an evil bitch, whether we say so or not-so why not say so?”

“Stop it, Dawn!” Buffy snapped a little harder than she had wanted to. Seeing the hurt expression on her sister’s face, she felt a huge surge of guilt. “Please, sweetie. You’ve got to understand. This is all so, well it’s hard to explain but Willow is going through some majorly bad stuff right now and we kind of need to cut her a little slack, okay.”

“It’s not okay,” Dawn hissed at her. “She’s out of control, Buffy. Look what she tried to do to Tara. Look what she did to you.”

“Dawnie, how many times do I have to tell you? I’m fine...”

“You’re not. I-I know you say that, but I can see how much you hurt. I can feel it. Don’t you think I can feel everything you’re going through? I can. We’re the same, Buffy. You've got to know that by now. It’s like a knife in my stomach whenever somebody hurts you, just like that night...”

"Please, Dawn. Please don't. I can't-I can't talk about that now-" Buffy pleaded with her sister, desperately trying to shut out memories of that last night with Glory.

"No. Of course not," Dawn snapped back at her. "We can't talk about anything anymore. We're all just going to pretend that Willow isn't using too much magic, and that Tara isn't sitting up in her room crying her eyes out right now, and that you're not crying yourself to sleep or waking up with nightmares every night."

As she finished saying that, Dawn headed towards the front door, causing a slight tremor of panic to suffuse her older sister.

"Dawn? Where are you going? You can't go out there right now. Not in the dark. It's not safe." Already, Buffy was gripped with a fresh feeling of rising terror.

"Oh, for crying out loud!" Dawn shouted. "I’m just going onto the porch to get some fresh air. It's getting really smothering in here." Seeing the look of abject horror on her sister's face, she relented a bit. "Look, Buffy, I'm just going outside for a little while. Janice said she might stop by for a few. I promise not to get kidnapped and sold into a harem between here and the front lawn, okay?"

Buffy, realizing how insanely overprotective she was being, backed off. "All right honey. It's okay, really. It's just that-you know how much I love you, right?" She said to her sister's retreating back. Dawn raised her arm in a 'luv you too' gesture used exclusively by the under twenty set and disappeared through the door.

"Wow. That should get me into the 'smothering lunatic substitute mother' Hall of Fame," she chided herself. Even as she said it out loud though, she realized that the situation really was not all that funny. It was in fact, growing into a serious problem.

Her need to protect Dawn from as much as she could had always been a powerful motivation for Buffy. She had long suspected that it was a trait that the monks of Tarnis had programmed into her, but she had never really paid it that much attention because it was something that she would have done anyway. To Buffy, protecting family wasn't something that you thought too much about. You just did it. Now however, it was obviously getting out of control. Oh, my God, she thought to herself. How do I tell my sister that she scares me to death?

The worst of it had occurred the night she had come back. After only an hour or so of sleep, she had woken up screaming. She could no longer remember the specifics of the nightmare, but its affects were still very palpable. Buffy trembled whenever she thought of it. That night, she had been shaking so hard that Giles had considered taking her to the hospital. She had refused, instead pleading with Dawn not to leave her alone in the dark. The younger girl had slipped into bed with her, like they had done so often when they were children, and held her until she had drifted off to sleep. It had been nearly two weeks before Buffy could bring herself to go to sleep without her sister lying beside her, and that had only been after Giles and Tara both had begun expressing some reservations about the two of them sleeping together so often.

Being separated from Dawn for any length of time still made Buffy nauseous, although it had been far worse the first week or two. After a few days of staying home from school to help Tara look after her sister, the teenager had gone back to class, leaving Buffy in a state of absolute panic. She'd pleaded with them both for Dawn to stay with her, but Tara had been insistent that she not miss any more school. Buffy had begun crying within the first few minutes of her leaving the house and hadn't stopped until she returned over seven hours later. The crying jags had gone on for the next several days, but she had eventually been able to get them under control...for the most part. She still lived in stark terror that something could happen to her baby sister at any moment and it ate away at her bit by bit, causing her, despite her better judgment, to act irrationally at times. Like just now, she thought.

"I guess I'm not doing much good here," she said aloud, deciding that the best thing for her to do right now, was to go out and get some fresh air herself. Maybe even do some patrolling. Now that was an idea. She hadn't done any since she had been back, and it suddenly made perfect sense that she should start up again tonight. It had always been a way for her to work off tension and anxiety in the past. Yeah, that was it. Kill some dead things.

Filled with a new sense of purpose, Buffy walked up the stairs and quickly darted into her room to grab a jacket. As she passed by her mother's old room, she could hear sobbing coming from behind the door. Knocking delicately on the door first, she opened it to find Tara sitting on the bed, holding onto a blue sweater that Buffy recognized as having belonged to Willow. Her face was stained with tears.

"Tara." Buffy said as gently as she could. "Is everything okay?"

The blonde witch nodded. "It will be, sweetie. I'm just-well you know how it goes. One day at a time."

Buffy nodded. She really did know. It was just that she could feel Tara's pain so keenly that it felt like her own.

"Buffy," the other woman continued. "There's something I've wanted to tell you for a little while. I mean, if you have a minute."

"Sure," the Slayer nodded. "You know you can tell me anything, Tara. You've been so good to Dawn and me. I owe you so much for taking of us, for taking care of her, while I was gone..." She trailed off as she noticed the look of pain that crossed the witch's face.

"That's just it. I haven't been." Tara said gloomily. "You don't owe me anything, Buffy. I owe you. I tried to stop her, you know. If I had, you wouldn't be here-you wouldn't have come back...and I just wanted to tell you how sorry I was for that. And that I would understand if you wanted me to leave. You should never have been forced between Willow and me like that. It's not fair. You two have been friends for so long. I-I should leave."

Buffy shook her head. "No. You really shouldn't. Tara, you belong here as much as anybody else. Don't you think I know what Dawn means to you? After all this time, you should know what you mean to us. You're a part of this family, Tara. You always will be. Whatever happens with Willow happens, but that fact doesn't change. You're one of us now. Unless you don't want to be," she added rather shyly.

"Oh, I want to be. I want that more than anything. I never had any sisters, you know. Just my cousin, and well she..."

"I know." Buffy said with just the slightest hint of distaste in her voice. "We've met. I think Dawn calls her "The Wicked Bitch of the West."

"Oh." Tara said simply, and then broke out in a fit of giggling, which Buffy immediately joined.

"You know," Buffy managed to choke out, "We shouldn't be laughing at this stuff. Dawn really is terrible."

"Yeah, she is," replied the witch. "And I wouldn't have it any other way." She gave Buffy a quick hug of sisterly affection, one that the Slayer was eager to return.

"Anyway." Buffy said, as they pulled apart. "I need to get going. I really just stopped up to get some stuff for a patrol. Thought I'd check out the Sunnydale nightlife again. See if things are still hopping on the old Hellmouth."

" I'll make sure that Dawnie finishes her homework, then. The math has been giving her some trouble lately."

"Yeah, you do that," replied Buffy with a shudder. "Because there isn't a vampire around that can strike more fear into my heart than having to solve for factor X."

Leaving a grinning Tara behind her, a newly energized Slayer headed back down the stairs and out the front door, stopping only long enough to chase off Dawn's juvenile delinquent friend Janice, while ordering her sister into the house to get started on her homework.

"That's right." She said out loud. "Vampires of the world beware!" With that, she marched down the street, happier than she had been in a long time.

*****


"Well, gee- they didn't have to take me so darned literally."

The fact that no one was currently within earshot to hear the Slayer's rather disappointed declaration only served to prove her point. Tonight had been a complete bust as far as demon hunting was concerned. Buffy had been patrolling for nearly three hours now, and the closest thing she had come to staking had been a large striped alley cat, which had the temerity to jump off a headstone in front of her as she investigated the cemetery.

"Stupid cat." she had called after the quickly retreating feline, but that hadn't made her feel any better. The sinking feeling that she was totally irrelevant began to grow in the pit of her stomach. Worse still, that desperate, harping voice whispering, “Where is Dawn? Protect Dawn. Be with Dawn,” began echoing in her head again. Damn. This is just...lame. I can’t do my job for five minutes without turning into psycho-mom.

"Okay," she said out loud, hoping that the sound of her own voice would reassure her. "One more sweep and I'm gonna call it a night." With that, she headed off in the direction of the main gate.

She passed row after row of tombstones, searching for a freshly dug grave and a possible fledgling vampire. The chilling realization that she too had been in the ground mere weeks ago caused her entire body to shiver, and she forced memories of clawing her way through the earth from her mind.

All of a sudden, Buffy heard a twig snap, and instantly focused her heightened senses on her surroundings. She heard more rustling and felt the familiar twinge her Slayer sense gave her when a vampire was near. Buffy crept closer to the sounds, prepared to beat something up tonight. She leapt over a few bushes, poised for a fight when the vampire she had sensed turned around and nearly collapsed from shock.

“Spike?”

“Slayer?” Spike asked, looking almost as stunned as he'd been the first time she’d seen him last month. “What are you doing here?”

Buffy grinned, amused in spite of herself. “It’s kinda in the job description. You know-vampire Slayer. I slay vampires. They hang out in cemeteries. It's a pretty simple concept, actually.” He didn’t reply, however- he was too busy fumbling through all of his pockets in search of a cigarette. “What are you doing out here?”

“Same as you, I suppose. Looking for evil and whatnot.”

“Been doing a lot of that lately, huh? I haven’t seen you since…” His gaze lifted then, and Buffy was surprised at the pain in his eyes. I haven’t seen him since I came back, she thought, and as she matched his piercing stare, she realized he still couldn’t believe she was alive. Yeah, well join the club.

“Yeah, well,” Spike shrugged, finally finding his lighter. “Been busting my ass to find out what destroyed the ‘bot, but I’m fresh out of leads,” he took a drag from the cigarette, “I keep winding up in this spot where the bloody thing was wrecked knowing even less than I did before.”

“Aw, poor Spikey- upset about your smashed up little girlfriend? Don't worry, I'm sure you can order another one up on-line at Chippies.are.us.com or maybe 1-800-Loser.” Buffy teased.

She instantly regretted it the moment she heard the words come out her mouth and saw the brief flicker of hurt in his eyes. God, where the hell had that come from?

Just as she was about to apologize for going too far, he coolly retorted: “What can I say? She was a good time. Better than the original, I expect. Certainly a lot prettier...”

"Another remark like that pal, and your ass won't be the only thing around here being busted." she shot back. Damn him, he always does this, she thought as he threw up his arms in mock surrender and smirked at her.

"Whatever you say, luv. It's not important anyway. Hasn't been much going on in good ole Sunnyhell these days, so I thought I'd have one more stab at it, take the edge off the boredom. Doesn't make a lot of sense, though. My sources have all pretty much dried up lately."

Buffy shrugged. "Probably all got sick of you promising to pay them in IOU's and stolen blood bags. Why are you even going through all this trouble? I mean, you're not trying to avenge it or something, are you?"

Spike shifted his gaze to spot on the ground that must have struck him as particularly fascinating. “I, um, just wanted to take out whatever destroyed it. Figured it’d give you one less thing to worry about. You know, while you're still readjusting to everything and all.”

He said that with such an air of sincerity that she found herself being genuinely touched.

"Thanks, Spike but I'm sure it will be fine. Maybe it was just some passing uglies, not locals. You should probably check out some other sources though. Did you try Willie?"

The vampire shook his head, rather puzzled by her question. "Willie? Sorry pet, but you're a bit behind the times. Willie sold up and moved out last year. Heard he went to New York and ended up as a building super or something. Bloody ponce, if you ask me."

Not really knowing what exactly a ponce was, Buffy only nodded. Wow, yet more proof I have no idea what's going on anymore.

“Red have any leads?” Spike asked abruptly.

“Not that I’ve heard of. She kind of, well, moved out.”

Spike quietly accepted this information, once again bringing the cigarette to his lips and inhaling deeply. If he detected the stinging pain in her voice, he said nothing about it. Buffy stood still, stiffly crossing her arms and softly kicking the earth beneath her, almost daring him to say something nasty about Willow. Instead, Spike tossed the butt, loudly clearing his throat.

“How’s the little Bit?” he asked, gently changing the subject.

“She’s…Dawn’s angry,” Buffy replied. “I’m not sure if she’ll ever forgive Willow, and I can’t seem to talk to her for more than five minutes without getting into an argument with her.” And why in the hell am I even telling you this?

“Give her some space,” he suggested. “Don’t push her, but make sure she knows you’re there to listen.”

Buffy blankly stared at him. “Thanks for the parenting lessons,” she responded dryly.

“I’m just trying to help you out, Slayer,” Spike retorted defensively.

“I think I know how to take care of my sister.”

“Maybe,” he agreed, “But I was there all summer. I think I know a thing or two about her moods.”

“Yes, well…I have things to kill,” Buffy declared, not wanting to be reminded of the summer and her death. "So, unless you want to be one of them. I suggest that you be on your merry undead way."

“Bully for you,” Spike muttered. “I got things to kill too. Why the bloody hell should I be the one to leave?”

Her temper suddenly getting the better of her, Buffy brushed past him and started walking to the gate. “Fine. You know what? You're right, Spike. By all means, let me leave you alone so you can continue brilliantly investigating every dead end connected with the bot. I'm going home.” She crossed to the driveway and was gone in a few moments, leaving a more than slightly pissed off vampire behind her.

“Yeah, well, I thought you’d never leave!” he hissed at the disappearing Slayer, his tone of voice not even remotely betraying the fact that he had already begun missing her the moment she had passed the gate.



******


"I'm sorry but I just don't get this at all. You can't just pick up and leave, Giles. Not now. I need you here." Buffy said, her voice betraying the rising sense of panic that she was feeling.

"We've already been through this twice, Buffy." Her watcher responded rather sternly. "I don't know how many more ways I can say it. I'm leaving tomorrow morning bright and early, and I'd appreciate it if you'd stop arguing with me about it. I still have a number of arrangements to make and I need to pack a couple of suitcases."

"But, I don't see why you have go all the way to London just because Lord Whathisface slipped on a banana peel or whatever..."

"Sir Robert Evesham-Hewes has been the Chairman of the Watcher's council for over twenty-five years," Giles replied. "His death is of considerable importance and, for your information, he did not slip on a banana peel. He died of a heart attack, I believe."

"Okay fine. But why do you have to be there? Can't that Travers guy deal with it? I thought he was supposed to be in charge of the Watchers anyway." Buffy asked, hoping against the odds that she could talk Giles out of flying to England and leaving her without anyone to lean on.

It had been a hectic twenty-four hours. Giles had gotten the phone call from London yesterday afternoon while they had been training together. Now, suddenly, he was all fired up about leaving town. Leaving her.

"It's not quite that simple,” her watcher answered. "As First Secretary of the Council, Quentin Travers does indeed hold most of the authority when it comes to the operational aspects of the organization, but that authority itself comes from the Chairman, as set down by the Revisions to the Charter of 1668."

"Umm, once more in English?"

Giles sighed. "He runs things but he's not technically in charge."

"Oh. Well, all right but..."

"Buffy, I'm not really any more excited about the prospect of leaving right now either, but Quentin specifically requested that I attend Sir Robert's funeral and I could hardly refuse him, especially since protocol demands that the watchers of all active slayers be present. Since Faith is currently without an official watcher, that pretty much leaves me, doesn't it?"

Buffy winced at the mention of the rogue Slayer. It had been a long time since she'd given her any thought, not since her murder conviction at any rate. It was not something she liked to think about too much. Shaking the bad memories from her mind, she tried another tack.

"So maybe we can come with? Dawn and me, I mean. I've kind of always wanted to see England, I guess-and ooh, it might be educational for Dawn. All those old museums and libraries and stuff. I know she’d love it. I’d love it. History is just so...historical.”

“Aha” replied Giles, sounding vaguely amused. “Your enthusiasm for umm, knowledge is truly inspiring, but I don’t think it’s a very good idea, Buffy.”

“Why not?” She pouted at him.

“For one thing, Dawn just started the fall term last month and she’d end up missing quite a bit of school. I plan to be there at least three or four weeks, possibly a lot longer. Her grades are spotty enough as it is.”

“Why so long?” Buffy asked him, genuinely puzzled now. “Just for a funeral I mean?”

“Well that’s just it, you see. That’s really not the reason I’m going, although as I said, it is expected of me. Apparently, there is some question in the mind of a few of the council members, about the nature of Sir Robert’s demise. Not everyone is convinced that he died of purely natural causes.”

“Really? You mean like somebody whacked the old guy?”

“Honestly, Buffy,” replied the exasperated watcher “You really need stop wallowing in the depths of American popular culture. This is what you get when you watch fifteen straight episodes of ‘The Sopranos‘.”

“Hey, is it my fault Xander got the DVD box set for his birthday?”

“At any rate, the answer to your question is I have no idea what caused his death. He could very well have died from a heart attack. He was nearly 80 and I gather that he had a long history of cardiac problems. The point though, is that Quentin fears that rumors of anything unnatural might tend cause some unrest among the voting members of the council come the elections for his successor. He‘s asked me to look into the matter, unofficially of course, just as a precaution.” Giles paused for a moment before continuing, not meeting her eyes the entire time. “You can see that I‘d have little time for sightseeing and I wouldn’t feel comfortable leaving you both on your own in a foreign place, well foreign to you anyway. Besides, I'm not sure it's a very good idea to let the council get too close to Dawn. They still have no idea about her extraordinary origins, and I think we're all agreed that we should keep it that way for the present.”

Buffy took a moment to digest this information. She was going to lose the argument this time and she knew it. This really sucked, though. Really, really. Still pouting, she nodded her head in tacit agreement, hating herself for feeling this way.

“Okay. You’re right." She sighed wearily. "You need to go then. I guess I can hold down the fort while you’re gone. It’s not like there’s a lot going on in the slayage department anyway. Nothing, actually.”

“Odd,” Giles responded. “You would think there would be some sort of activity going on this close to the Hellmouth. After all, something destroyed the Buffy-bot rather handily.”

“Yeah well as far as I’m concerned whatever did that, did us all a favor. Me mostly I guess, although Dawn seems less than broken up about it. What made you guys use Spike’s sex-bot as my replacement, I’m never going to figure out.”

“Necessity,” he replied with such pain in his voice that she could almost see it in him. “But it was never meant to replace you, Buffy. Nothing ever could. You have no idea how much...”

“I know,” she said simply, her voice breaking with emotion. “But that’s all in the past.“ After a few moments, she managed to get a grip on herself. “Anyway, like I was saying, I haven’t picked up any signs of vamps in the last few days and Spike says the town’s been dead for weeks. Umm, dead as in the lack of walking dead people, I mean.”

“You spoke to Spike, then?

“Yeah, I ran into him the other night, patrolling- if you can believe that. Since when does Spike do patrols?”

“Since May,” the watcher responded. “Look, Buffy this is rather a delicate point, and one I haven’t felt comfortable broaching until now, but I feel that with me leaving for a while that perhaps this would be a good time to discuss something. About Spike, I mean.”

“Umm, okay” she said, suddenly growing vaguely uncomfortable on the training room couch she had been sitting on.

“Well,” Giles continued on hesitantly. “I’m not sure that you should be spending much time around Spike. Or any, really.”

“Giles, I haven’t been spending any time with him. I haven’t seen much of him at all really. Except for the other night, and well-”

“-Well?” He asked.

“Oh nothing. Spike being Spike is all. It’s no big. Why do you think I shouldn’t be hanging around him? I mean, out of curiosity’s sake.”

“It’s just that over the summer, I came to realize, we all did I think, that Spike’s feelings for you, as extraordinary and impossible as they are, are quite genuine. He really does-umm love you, in his own peculiar way.”

“Yeah, I guess he does,” she muttered, half to herself, the memory of their kiss earlier in the year reentering her immediate consciousness unbidden. She quickly shook it off. Do not think of the evil, blood-sucking fiend, she told herself. Even if he is that freaking beautiful. Crap. “It’s not a problem here, Giles. Really. Vampires and me do not mix. Never again. Been there, mixed that. I’m non-mixy Buffy.” She added nervously, trying to block out the image of Spike’s piercing azure eyes.

“All the same. I don’t think it’s a good idea to encourage him, wittingly or not. I know that he and Dawn are very close, and that he can’t harm anyone with that chip still in his skull, but all the same, I think you should distance yourself from him as much as possible. We’ll all be happier that way, I’m sure of it.”

“Check. I’m all about being happy right now, believe me.” She tried to sound cheerful.

Giles smiled at her. “That’s my girl. Now buck up. I know things have been very difficult for you this past month, but it’s all bound to snap into place for you again soon enough. You are sleeping better now, I trust?”

“Sure thing,” she replied, lying through her teeth, telling him what he obviously wanted to hear. “Nightmares are pretty much gone. Don’t worry, Giles. I’ll be fine. You go. Enjoy England...if that’s at all possible. Solve some murders in Colonel Mustard’s drawing room with a lead pipe or something.” She even managed to plaster a semi-believable smile on her face as she said it. Please don’t leave me!

“Right, then. I guess I had better get back to the apartment. I’ll need to catch a connector flight to LAX in the morning. Shouldn’t be a problem, though. Quentin has already promised to grease a few wheels so there should be a ticket available for me to get to Heathrow as soon as possible...”

As Giles rambled on, making plans for the trip, and not bothering to notice just how much pain she was in, Buffy couldn’t help but feel that she had been here before. Many, many times before, in fact. It never seemed to matter how much she needed them. How deeply their leaving hurt her. They always left. Always. Oh yeah. Home sweet home.