Disclaimer: 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' is the property of Mutant Enemy Productions Inc. and Joss Whedon. We do not own any of the characters in this story, other than the ones we make up, and those we freely give to said Cod of the Buffyverse and his crusty minions.

Rating: Pg-13 for this chapter

Feedback: Please, please please, do leave a review here at fanfiction.net or if you want to, feel free to send an e-mail to BuffySpikeshiper@aol.com. At this point we will take any kind of review, we're that desperate for feedback...of all kinds.

Author's note: Just for those who asked about the last part of Chapter four, Angel will not be making an appearance in this fic. We had originally planned some AtS crossovers, but have since decided against it for story purposes. Therefore, as far as this ficverse is concerned, everything that happened on season three of "Angel" is considered to have happened here. We plan on touching briefly on the Buffy/Angel meeting in the second half of this chapter but that is it. The writers of this fic (well, the majority of us, Sasha ) maintain a deep commitment to the beauty and the glory of the B/S and C/A ships. As for why we came up with the name Crispin McDermott, well honestly, can you see Willow falling for a guy named Bob the plumber? Huh? Really? And yes, I know all about Joss's recent proclamation regarding Willow's sexuality. This is an alternate season six so; as far as we're concerned, essentially ...screw him. Willow's Bi-end of story. Besides, you guys don't know what's really going on here anyway- because we haven't told you yet.




Chapter 5


"The Time Has Come the Walrus Said... "


Part One




Written by Jules and Phil




*


Dawn paced her room anxiously, walking over to her stereo and turning on the Michelle Branch CD Janice had let her borrow earlier that week. She felt a soft breeze, and turned to look out her window. The air was pleasant, not too hot or cold. The stars were shining brilliantly in the sky, and she could hear laughter down the street. It was an absolutely beautiful night, and Dawn was stuck inside.

I'm a prisoner in my own room while Buffy runs off to see Angel, Dawn thought bitterly. What was so special about Angel, anyway? She hadn't seen him for a good two years; he hadn't been around during the hard times. He wasn't there the way Spike had been, and she just runs off as soon as he calls? She didn't even notice how hurt Spike was when she bolted straight for a place to meet Angel.

All they're gonna do is make big angsty eyes at each other while trying to make up for lost time, Dawn sighed, lying down on her bed. She left us here, with so much going on, just to go stare at Angel's lame hair in person? What. Ever.

It just wasn't fair, end of story. There’s supposedly some new Big Bad in town, and Buffy just peels out? If she's so worried about me, why doesn't she stick around to protect me? Dawn mused. If this vamp is as dangerous as Buffy's claiming, she wouldn't have ditched me for her broody ex.

Dawn got up again, feeling too edgy to just lie down. She heard noises again, this time the laughter outside was louder, closer. Frustrated at being cooped up, Dawn angrily punched her pillow aside. She could take care of herself, for Pete’s sake. There was no reason she had to stay inside- she knew how to handle herself in Sunnydale. She wasn’t oblivious to the dangers that haunted the town like the other citizens, she wouldn’t do something stupid and wind up in the company of vampires.

The phone rang shrilly, Dawn raced to pick it up.

"Hello?"

"What you up to tonight, Dawnie?" Janice asked sweetly.

"A whole lot of nothing," Dawn replied angrily.

"Sis keeping you down?"

"Just about," she answered. "She's decided to keep me on a tight leash. I'm more whipped than her last boyfriend."

"Well then, I'd say it's about time to shake off your collar and bare your claws, D," Janice suggested. "Wanna meet up with some people tonight?"

"Yeah, about that: I'm grounded," Dawn reminded her.

"Is Buffy doing hourly checks on you again? That is so stale.”

Dawn sighed. “No…she’s not home tonight, but she has Tara filling in as watchdog.”

“So give her a hug and sweetly declare you’re off to bed. She’ll believe you.”

“I dunno-“

“Come on, D! You really gonna pass up a chance to chill with Brad and Jake? Buffy’s not even around—you won’t get caught!”

Dawn hated lying to Tara, but Janice had some good points. Buffy totally smothered her when she was home, and now that she was gone, Dawn might as well enjoy some freedom. It was total crap that she had to say inside tonight, anyway.

"You know what? I'll be there. We gonna meet in the usual place?"

"Actually, we can pick you up a few streets from your house. Brad just got a bitchin' ride for his birthday, it'll be good for his ego if he drives it around tonight," Janice explained.

"Okay- gimme a few minutes to pick out a good outfit. I'll meet you guys at Hiller and Walnut in fifteen minutes," Dawn confirmed.

"Great. See you in a few."

"Bye," Dawn hung up the phone and stood in front of her closet. If Buffy can drop everything and leave when Angel calls, I can go out when my friends call, she decided. Sighing at the lack of decent clothes in her wardrobe, she quietly snuck across to Buffy's room. She sifted through her sister's clothes until she found the perfect leather duster. She tossed it on, giving her hair a final brushing before slipping out the window and quickly climbing down the tree adjacent to her room.

She took a deep breath, enjoying the crisp air. As she walked to the intersection to meet Janice, she felt a smug smile spread across her lips. It really was turning out to be a lovely night.



**


Tara watched a happy couple stroll down the sidewalk, hands intertwined and voices hushed with new-romance excitement. She felt a smile creep across her face as she sat on the front porch, getting some fresh air. A breeze cut through the air, raising the hairs on her neck and causing her to tug her sweater closer to her body. She glanced at the empty steps next to her and heaved a heavy sigh. This is where Willow had come during the summer when she was distraught, the front steps is where Tara spent countless minutes beside her, steadying her.

Now she sat alone. She had contemplated checking up on Dawn but decided against it- she seemed like she needed some time alone. Besides, it was a gorgeous night and Tara loved gazing at the stars.

Tara’s heart skipped a beat as a twig snapped, her body quickly tensed as her head turned in the direction of the sound. A wave of relief crashed over her the instant she recognized her visitor.

“Hello, Spike.”

His step faltered slightly at her greeting, although he hastily regained his posture and nodded his head. “Evening.”

A sly smile crept upon Tara’s face. “Buffy’s not home yet,” she informed him.

He shrugged and gave a manly sort of grunt. “That’s not why I’m here, anyway,” he replied casually, even though the disappointment in his eyes betrayed him.

“Is that so?” His act hadn’t fooled her in the least.

“Yeah,” he answered gruffly. “Came to check up on the Little Bit, and you look like you could use some company.”

It was now Tara’s turn to put up a front. “I like sitting outside alone,” she insisted.

“It’s nice, isn’t it?” Spike mused, glancing up at the sky. He shot a look at her and grinned, “Not all it’s cracked up to be, though.”

She returned his smile and once again took an appreciative look around, enjoying the comfortable silence between them. Her thoughts wandered back to her ex-lover and the history they had shared on the very steps she was sitting on.

“So what do you expect is taking her so long?” Spike’s voice shattered the silence. “I mean, how much could she and Peaches have to talk about?” He added, taking a seat next to her on the creaky porch.

“A lot,” she replied quietly. “There’s lots of history there, too much emotion to cram into a casual talk.”

Spike scowled.

“Not that I think they’re doing anything but talking,” Tara quickly added. “But there was a lot of pain between them. A lot of passion. That sort of stuff isn’t easily forgotten,” she finished softly, staring down at her feet.

“Yeah, well, I wish they’d hurry up and do a bloody recap and get in enough puppy-dog looks to last them the next century or so,” mumbled Spike bitterly. Off Tara’s amused expression, he carried on. “I mean, there’s some big baddie out there- no time for her to spend a day away.”

“Right- and there’s no way Big Baddie Spike is getting his knickers in a knot over Buffy visiting a past flame?” Tara inquired, all too innocently.

“Peaches isn’t just a sodding flame- he’s the bleeding bonfire of her life,” he shot back playfully.

“Why, Spike- that’s rather poetic,” teased Tara.

He chuckled and reached for a pack of cigarettes in his pocket. “It’d look smashing on a Hallmark, wouldn’t it?”

“Definitely copy-right worthy,” she agreed.

A pleasant calmness blanketed them once more as Spike brought a lighter to the tip of his cigarette. A few puffs of smoke later, he was once again the first to disturb the peace.

“How’s Nibblet holding up?”

“Would you believe me if I said she and Buffy had a civil conversation about her rendezvous with Angel, they hugged, and Dawn went up to her room happily?”

“Not if my unlife depended on it,” he quipped.

“Wise choice,” she commended him. “They didn’t stop bickering until the moment Buffy got in the taxi, and even then they were shouting through the window.”

Spike shook his head at the thought. “Let me guess: Buffy was being too over-protective, and Dawn wasn’t being careful enough?”

“Basically,” she confirmed. “They just go around in a big circle, don’t they? I mean, I can see both points of view here, but neither of them is willing to meet in the middle. It’s their way or the highway. Dawn seemed really upset after Buffy left, I decided to leave her alone and let her deal with it her own way.”

“You do know Summers girls have a habit of sneaking out, right?” Spike asked.

“Of course- but I heard her pacing upstairs before, and she had music playing. She doesn’t run out every chance she gets, you know.”

Spike’s only response to that was an incredulously arched eyebrow.

“Oh, shut up,” Tara ordered, lightly shoving his shoulder. “Her summer has been rough enough- what with dealing with the Bot, to getting Buffy back, to the fights Willow and I had…” he voice trailed off. “I think it was mostly our arguments that hurt her this summer. She didn’t need to hear them, I shouldn’t have put her in the middle like that.”

“Don’t be ridiculous. What happened between you and Red wasn’t your fault.”

“Yeah, well…” she didn’t finish her thought, instead she found a loose thread on her sweater to be incredibly fascinating.

“Hey- listen,” he ordered. “After losing her mum and her sis, having you around was the best thing that could have happened to the ‘Bit. I never said anything over the summer, but I noticed how important it was to her that you were looking after her. Our Tuesday night plans always consisted of Tara-talk- she always had something wonderful to say about you.”

“I still feel terrible,” Tara admitted. “I can’t help but think I didn’t do enough for her.”

“Also nonsense,” Spike dismissed the thought. “If anything, you were the one holding her together when everything else went to hell.”

“What about now? Before, Willow and I would fight—but we also had our good days. Now I can’t even be within twenty feet of her without getting into a screaming match.”

“I take it this Crispix bloke is causing major problems?”

“Crispin,” Tara corrected bitterly. “And yeah, he’s part of it. I wouldn’t mind if Willow found someone else—I mean, of course I would mind, but I could deal with it if who ever she found made her truly happy. But I can tell she’s just trying to spite me…at least, that’s how it all started. And he- he just smacks of shadiness. He’s her teacher, for Goddess’ sake.”

“If she lets you slip away due to petty tricks, then it’s her incredible loss,” he told her sincerely. “I’m not sure what’s gotten into her; she’s been a right silly bint since she touched the Urn of Osiris.”

Tara agreed with Spike to some extent; however she found that rehashing the summer’s previous events caused painful stabs in her heart. A flood of emotions and memories bombarded her then, flashing before her eyes and whispering ugly words in her mind. She instantly had no desire to continue on the topic, and spit out the first thing she thought of.

“So what about you and Buffy?”

“I ask myself the same question,” he replied. “Although I never really have an answer. I ‘spose the reason for that is there is no ‘me and Buffy’. And I don’t know who I think I’m fooling; there never will be.”

Tara cupped her face in her hands, resting her elbows against her knees. “Ain’t love grand?” She asked bitterly. “You love someone-“

“They don’t feel the same way,” Spike finished. “You think you’re making progress-“

“And then you see her with…with someone else,” Tara spat. “And you’re totally crushed, because-“

“What if there’s something there? What if she decides he really is better-?”

They both paused, glancing at each other and laughing ruefully at the similarities in their love lives.

“Bloody hell,” Spike groaned, “This calls for another smoke.” He proffered the pack to Tara. “Want one?”

“No, thanks,” she declined. “I don’t-“ a shrill ring pierced the air. “Hold on,” she instructed as she hurried inside to get the phone.

“Hello?” Her voice carried clearly through the still summer night. “Hey, Anya—oh, that’s right! I forgot—Yeah, let me call her—“ She covered the mouthpiece with her hand and shouted up the stairs, “Dawn!”

The screen door slapped shut, causing her to flinch. She spun around to see Spike right behind her.

“What’s going on?”

“Dawn was supposed to help out at the Magic Box tonight- make up for stolen goods-“ she turned her head again and called out to Dawn.

They both waited in an apprehensive silence, the tension only growing when there was no answer or sound from upstairs.

Tara looked pleadingly at Spike. “Maybe she forgot about it, like me—she fell asleep?”

“Not bloody likely,” he growled as he began to ascend the stairs.

Tara returned her attention to Anya. “She’s not answering—yes, I’ll send her over as soon as possible—I’m sorry you were waiting for her to do your money dance—I’ll get back to you. I need to go,” she ended the conversation quickly, taking the stairs two at a time. She paused in Dawn’s doorway.

Spike was shaking with rage. His duster was waving from the breeze that blew in from her open window. Dawn’s make up was haphazardly strewn about her dresser, obviously having been recently applied. Various articles of clothing were draped over her bed, tossed on the floor-she had rifled for a good outfit. Tara suddenly felt as if she had swallowed an ice cube, her chills increasing when she saw Spike in full game face.

“Spike, wait-“ she began.

“No,” he interrupted. “She’s gone, and I’m going to find her. Now,” he snarled, leaping effortlessly out the window Dawn had escaped from not long ago. Tara ran to the window, but Spike had already vanished. How could she have been so stupid? She should have checked up on her—now it was too late, and she didn’t even want to imagine what Spike was going to do once he found her.

Never mind Spike, Tara thought, What will Buffy do…?

“Hey! Is anybody home?”

Tara heard her voice and froze. Of all the times she could have come home, she had to do it now. Tara headed out of Dawn’s room and met Buffy halfway down the stairs.

“Hey, Buffy? You have a good trip? Great. Listen, you might wanna sit down…”









***


"So, Dawnie, are we having fun yet?" Janice practically shouted into Dawn's ear, trying to make herself heard over the sound of Eminem blasting on the CD player in Bradley Johnston's brand new Miyata.

"Yeah...loads," replied the younger Summers sister, her voice giving no indication that she was having anything resembling fun. "Why didn't you tell me I was going to be, like, the seventh wheel or something?"

Janice shrugged as she glanced over at the rest of the group, which in addition to Brad, Jake and their friend Donnie, included two of the prettier members of the junior varsity cheerleading squad. "Hey, how was I supposed to know that Sunny and Theresa were going to invite their skanky asses along? Relax. It's no big, D, really. Jake thinks you're a major babe."

Dawn found herself blushing at that, despite her best efforts to appear cool to her best friend. "Really? He told you that?" she asked, nervously brushing her hair past her ear.

"Well, not me, no," Janice replied, quickly taking a swig of the can of Budweiser she had been nursing for the past half hour. "But Brad said that he was checking you out after Gym class last week. That's why I said we'd hook up with them tonight. Nobody told me that Donnie would be bringing the gruesome twosome, though." She waved the bud at the two cheerleaders and gave them a phony smile, both of whom made a point of ignoring her. "Sucks the big one I know, but what'cha gonna do, D? They're here. They're queer, get used to them. Go ahead, wave to the stupid sluts."

Dawn giggled as Janice grabbed her arm and made waving gestures with it. Dawn like Janice a lot. They'd only known each other a couple of months, but she was already the closest friend she'd ever had in school. Tough, outspoken and wonderfully bitchy to the stuck up snobs who ran Sunnydale High, she was the epitome of cool, as far as Dawn was concerned. In fact, Dawn was absolutely convinced that Janice was twice as cool as Buffy had ever been.

Letting go of Dawn's arm, Janice flashed her a quick grin and shouted across the hood of the car to the outrageously gorgeous football player who was rummaging through the cooler. "Hey, Jakie! How about a couple of cold ones for two hot and thirsty mamas?" Ignoring Dawn's mortified groans, she batted her eyelashes at the boy in a way that all but screamed: Hey come and jump me right here, hottie.

Oh my God, Dawn thought to herself, Jake van Atter is actually coming over to talk to us.

He was a god too. At seventeen, he was already over six feet tall and incredibly well muscled, and supposedly the best offensive lineman Sunnydale had put in the field in years. She'd actually seen him play a couple of times, after Janice had dragged her to a few after school practice sessions, on one of her "stud hunts." He'd smiled at her once in the hallway, on the way to math class and she'd about melted after he passed her. And now he was bringing her beer.

"Here you go, ladies," he said, handing them each a can, and flashing a set of nearly perfect teeth at them both.

They went along with his deep California tan quite nicely, Dawn thought. For a moment, she looked at the can with a slight sense of discomfort. She'd had beer a couple of times and really couldn't stand the taste, but the last thing she wanted was to look like a total spaz in front of everybody. She carefully sipped at the bitter brew, while Janice continued to flirt shamelessly with Jake.

"So, like you guys think you're going to beat Fondren at the Homecoming game this year?" Janice asked in a pretty good imitation of somebody who actually cared about football.

"Umm, yeah, piece of cake," he nodded knowingly. "They've got a really weak front line this year. I should know. I'm not on it anymore." He finished, grinning at Dawn.

"Yeah, that's right. You just came over from Fondren, right?" Janice asked him. "Since they reopened S-H?"

"Uh-huh," Jake answered, taking a hit off of his own beer. "They packed up a bunch of us and shipped us over here to fill up the classes. It was getting pretty crowded over there anyway. My dad says they should have tried to rebuild the old one, but I guess those gas leaks are pretty heinous. Not worth fixing, I bet."

It took all of Dawn's self-control not spew beer all over him and Janice. As it was she broke into a pretty severe coughing fit.

"You okay, Dawnie?" Janice asked her curiously.

"Yeah, I-uh, I'm fine," she replied, finally getting control of herself. Gas leaks. Riiiight. Because the old Sunnydale High exploding had absolutely nothing to do with giant mayor snakes and school librarians armed with hundreds of pounds of dynamite.

"Anyway," the god of all offensive linemen continued. "You guys are freshmen, right?"

"Right. Lowly bottom of the heap types, that's us." Janice agreed. Dawn nodded along with her, but was too engrossed in examining the future father of her children to pay much attention to her friend's lame attempts to keep him occupied, and out of the reach of those two stuck up bitca cheerleaders who were even now, shaking off the unwanted attentions of Donnie and Brad and making a direct line for Jake.

"So, you gonna try out for the cheerleading squad next year, Dawn?" The football player asked, actually calling her by name. Oh. My. God.

"Well, maybe," she replied, all too self-consciously. "I haven't really thought about it much."

"Thought about what?" broke in the unwanted voice of Theresa ‘I'm such a spoiled rotten little poser I make my own mother want to hurl’ Colifono, who managed to plant herself firmly between Dawn and the object of her affection. Her constant shadow, Sunny Watkins, a girl that Janice had once described as being so dumb that cows got the better of her in polite conversation, got around the other side, blocking Janice.

"Cheerleading." repeated Jake, not bothering to look at Theresa. "I was just telling Dawn she should go out for the squad. I think she'd be great."

Theresa gave Dawn a cursory look absolutely filled with contempt, and nodded her head in a decidedly practiced manner. "Oh sure, because it's every squad's dream to have cheerleaders whose shoe size is bigger than their bra size."

Dawn felt duel waves of anger and embarrassment wash over her, as the other girl flashed her a vicious smirk and her flunky unsuccessfully tried to stifle a major giggle. To his credit, Jake looked really uncomfortable. Janice, though, was royally pissed.

"Oh, kiss my ass, Colifano, you stuck-up bitch. It really doesn't matter what her bra size is anyway. It's gonna be higher than your IQ no matter what." she snarled at the cheerleader.

Any further reply on Theresa's part was suddenly cut short, as the sound of a gunning engine and squealing tires crashed through the music and the arguing that had dominated the parking lot up until that point. Dawn groaned inwardly as she instantly recognized the huge black car that barreled towards them and in a truly dramatic fashion, stopped directly in front of where they were standing, barely missing the front bumper of Brad's pride and joy.

"Hey!" The teenager shouted at the unseen driver of the car. "Watch where you're driving, dude. Man, I should kick your..."

The threat died on Brad's lips as the single occupant of the DeSoto emerged from behind the steering wheel, a shotgun in his hand and an extremely pissed off expression on his face. Not even bothering to acknowledging the boy's presence, Spike strode up to Dawn in that seamless manner he had and glared at her.

"So, you wanna tell me exactly what you're doing out here with these wankers on a school night, bit?" he asked in an icily calm voice.

Dawn, sensing just how angry he was, tried to explain. "Spike, I uh, we that is..." she managed to stammer out, without actually meeting his gaze.

"On second thought," he broke in, "Skip it. Not particularly in the mood to listen to any of your nonsense right now. So instead of you trying to come up with a bunch of idiotic explanations why you're a complete waste of space, you're going to get in the back seat and we're going to leave. NOW."

It seemed to Dawn that he had shouted the last word, even though he had never changed the inhumanly calm tone in his voice. She'd rarely heard him used that tone but she knew what it meant. Do not screw with me on pain of death. Or un-death either. He was deadly serious. Knowing that she didn't have a leg to stand on, Dawn wordlessly moved to comply, but of course Theresa, being the utter bitch she was, just had to get her two cents in.

"So, is this your babysitter or something, Summers?" she asked in the most obnoxious manner humanly possible. "Does he bring you your bottle and change your diapers too?"

The vampire whirled to face the girl and got so far into her face that Dawn thought he was going to come out the other side.

"Right, like I have time to spend on a dozy cow like you just now. Tell you what, ducks. Why don't you snap your bloody trap shut and stay out of family business and I won't rearrange any of your body parts accordingly."

It was almost worth the inevitable chewing out that Dawn was going to get to see every last ounce of color drain from Theresa's face. Spike, having dealt with that little problem, now turned back to face his main concern.

"Car's that way, pet," he continued, speaking to Dawn as if he had never stopped. "Clock's ticking."

The wholly rational part of her mind had to admit that waving the shotgun towards the Desoto was a very nice touch. Dawn shrugged and trying to salvage a least a tiny bit of dignity quickly muttered "Night, guys, gotta split," before dodging into the back seat of Spike's car. The vampire grunted in a minor display of victory and turned towards his next mission, which happened to be Janice.

"You're next, luv." He said in an entirely too cheery manner. "In you go."

Janice, not knowing Spike at all, decided to pick the worst possible time to show her toughness to the rest of the group. "Hey, you're not the boss of me," she whined, using one of the oldest clichés in the teenager handbook.

Spike eyed her very casually and inclined his head ever so slightly, a sure sign that he was losing his patience. "You're bloody well right. I'm not. And to be perfectly honest, sweets, I couldn't care less if you stayed and got turned into kibbles n' bits with the rest of this lot of ruddy wankers. But you see, the nibblet does care, for some odd reason, and I don't particularly fancy explaining to her big sis why I let Dawn's best mate wind up on somebody's dessert cart. So let's just say that you'd be doing me a favor and I'll owe you one, eh?"

Janice, whatever else she might be, was far from stupid. She shrugged, grabbed her purse off the ground and flounced past Spike towards the car. "It was a boring party anyway," she groused to Dawn as she slid onto the seat next to her.

Having accomplished his mission, the vampire slung the shotgun over his shoulder and got back into his car, scowling at the five remaining teenagers, all of whom were doing very good impressions of 'Cletus the slack-jawed yokel.'

"Oh," he said in a casual manner. "If I were you any of you gits, I'd hightail it back home to the loving bosom of dear old mum and dad before the nasties came out to play. Fortunately for me, though, I'm not any of you..." With that, he gunned the engine again and the DeSoto soon disappeared back the way it had come.

After a brief moment to let the shock wear off, Brad let loose with a fairly choice set of obscenities, and Donnie grabbed another beer, while Jake stood in place shaking his head in confusion.

"Okay," he said in a tone matching his mood. "Does someone want to tell me what the hell just happened? Who was that psycho? And has anybody told him the 70's are over?"

Donnie tossed him a beer and shrugged. "Not sure. I've seen him around once or twice. I think he's Dawn's crazy sister's boyfriend."

"Yeah," said Theresa. "That fits. Who else but a total lunatic would be caught dead with that nutcase? I hear she used to walk around school with wooden stakes in her purse all the time. When she wasn't getting into fights, that is. Anyway, he did us a favor. The last thing we needed were those two little pests spoiling the fun." She smiled at Jake in her best attempt at seduction.

The star of Sunnydale High's offensive line nodded and motioned for her to get in the back seat of Brad's car.

"Dude," Brad whispered in his friend's ear. "You've gotta be joking. Theresa's screwed half the football team and about three-quarters of the basketball team. You'll be getting up close and personal with most of the guys we know-and their bacteria. Besides, I thought you only liked virgins. That's why I set you up with those two frosh PoA's in the first place."

"Hey," Jake replied. "Right now, I'll take what I can get. A man's got needs after all. Don't worry man, that little girl was totally into me. I'll have a pair of her panties for you by the end of the month at the latest. Same stakes as always?"

Brad grinned at him. "Yeah. Seventy-five bucks for Janice. A hundred for Dawn. Actually, with that babysitter freak around, I'll make it a hundred fifty. Just to show I'm a good sport," he added playfully.

"Good deal." Jake responded. "Hey, how much will you give me for nailing Theresa?"

"Hmm, about seventy-five cents and an empty beer can?" Brad burped.

Grinning back at his friend, Jake walked back to the Miyata while Brad went over to where Donnie was busy trying to pour as much beer down Sunny's throat as he could get away with. Neither of them bothered to notice the five shadowy forms that had emerged from the woods at the edge of the parking lot and were now advancing slowly towards the two parked cars.