Author's Chapter Notes:
Almost done with this one!!
Trust Me pt. 2



Buffy watched them put the wire on her with acute interest. It was kind of fascinating. Not because of what they were doing, that was pretty mundane and well, technical, but because she was doing something the required a wire.

How my life has changed, she mused.

After her parent’s death, her and Angel had a pretty normal life. It was just the two of them and they got by just fine. Then she got amnesia and now this. Now she had a psychotic ex boyfriend locked up in jail and she was about to lie to him to get him to confess. No, more than just lie. Act. She was going to have to act her ass off because really, he repulsed her.

Buffy had never considered herself a courageous sort of person. And yet here she was, a cold wire taped to her and about to face off with her …what was he exactly? What would describe Lindsey? Her attacker? Her abusive ex-boyfriend? Her menace? Her nightmare?

All of the above.

“Ready, Miss Summers?” Chief Stuart asked once she was all done.

She nodded mutely.

“You’re not having second thoughts are you?”

She shook her head.

“You’re scared now,” he said matter- of- factly.

She wasn’t pleased to learn that yes, she was now afraid. Would she convince him? Would he see right through her? Her hands involuntarily traveled to her neck.

Chief Stuart cocked his head to the side and regarded her thoughtfully. “You remember him ever strangling you?”

She looked at him strangely, “No, why?”

“You’re holding onto your neck. Did you even realize you did that?”

She looked down to her hands wrapped in a protective manner around her neck. She shook her head, startled, “No, I -- I didn’t.”

Chief Stuart blew air out of his mouth, “Miss Summers, I’m very sorry for what he did to you, but I can guarantee that if you can get him to confess, you will never have to worry about him again.”

Buffy smiled, “Thank you.”

He smiled back. “You’re welcome.”

“My boyfriend doesn’t like you,” she blurted out.

Chief Stuart grinned a toothy grin, “Don’t you mean fiancé?”

She smiled, “Yeah, fiancé.”

He shrugged, “He doesn’t have to like me.”

“I like you though.”

“Is this confessional?”

Buffy laughed, “No, I guess I just . . . I feel better letting you know that I like you.”

“So that I’ll make doubly sure you won’t get hurt?”

She nodded, “I guess that’s right.”

“It’s okay. Even if you hated me, I’d still protect you.”

“Thank you.”

“He won’t hurt you Miss Summers. He has nothing on him and the first sign of distress, we’re there. I have my deputy right around the corner in an unmarked car to follow you as soon as you’ve passed him. Do you know what you’re going to say?”

She shook her head, “Not a clue.”

“Don’t you think you should figure that out? How about starting with asking him if it’s true about the embezzling?”

“I can do it; I have to do it my own way. If I follow a script, I’ll just get nervous that I’m not following it and mess up. I’ve got to . . . “

“Got to what?”

“Follow my gut.”

****************
Standing outside the door to the holding cell, she could see The Menace through the small dirty and blurred window separating them. He was sitting there in his rumpled suit staring at the floor with a blank expression on his face. Oh boy, this was going to be fun.

“You ready?” Chief Stuart asked behind her, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder.

She nodded, “Ready.”

“On the count of three.”

“One.”

“Two.”

“Three . . . Please get my boyfriend out of there!” She exclaimed in a high pitched tone, hoping he could hear her through the door.

“He’s looking up,” the chief muttered, “Keep going, you’re doing great.”

“Please, Mr. Stuart—“

Chief Stuart, thank you very much.”

She rolled her eyes, “Whatever, just let me in and let me get him.”

Bursting through the door, Buffy rushed to Lindsey’s cell who was looking up at her in a mixture of disbelief and hope. He looked at her as if she were going to vanish and yet really hoping she was really there.

“Lindsey,” she said on a sigh and reached for him through the bars.

I am so going into acting, she thought. But when he reached for her through the bars tentatively and she had to fight back a wince she thought, maybe not.

His fingers delicately touched hers, probably the only delicate touch he’d ever bestowed on her in a long time, she thought. He looked at her questioningly.

“You didn’t think I’d leave you here, did you?” she asked him, forcing herself to smile gently, almost lovingly.

He stared at her in utter disbelief. “Buffy?” he said, his voice hoarse.

That’s what happens when you don’t talk asshole, she thought. She nodded at him, “Who else?”

“You’re really here?”

“You’re touching me, aren’t you?”

“You came for me?”

She nodded. Okay, Remorseful Buffy now. She bit her lip and looked down, “I was wrong. I thought – I listened to the ones that were trying to keep us apart. I was wrong,” she finished on a whisper. “Can you forgive me? If you can’t I understand. I’ll just go and—“

“No!” He reached out and took hold of her hand. “No. Please. Stay with me.”

“I’m with you,” she smiled. Puke, puke, she thought. “I paid your bail.”

His eyes widened, “You paid my—oh baby.” He did something then that Buffy hadn’t expected him to do. He started to cry. Sob, really. Bawl. Like a freaking baby. What the hell?

“Listen, as much as I love to see you two lovebirds reunite, I got shit to do. You want to take this someplace else?” Chief Stuart said, unlocking the cell.

Buffy hesitantly went to Lindsey and placed a hand on his shoulder. He spun to her, startling her and swept her up in his arms. “I’m sorry, I’m so sorry,” he sobbed.

She ran a hand down his back, trying hard not to be stiff. “For what, baby?” Oh god, I’ll never be able to call Spike that again, she thought.

He didn’t answer, just sobbed into her neck.

“Excuse me!” Chief Stuart barked.

“We have to go,” Buffy said firmly, pushing at him slightly. She cupped his face, making him look at her, “Let’s go home okay?”

He nodded, whimpering and grabbed her hand, squeezing tightly as he followed her out.

“You took Angel’s car?” he asked in disbelief as she led him outside.

She grinned, hoping it looked convincing and not forced, “I stole it. You mind?”

He shook his head, “No baby, I don’t mind.”

“Get in.”

She was thankful he didn’t ask to drive because truthfully, she needed something to do other than just sitting there. She needed to have something else to focus on than how sick he made her and how gross she felt having let him touch her. Not to mention the growing fear of having to be back at that house they once shared.

The car ride started out silent. She looked over a few times at him, and he seemed deep in contemplative thought.

“Lindsey, did you do it?” she asked finally.

“Buffy . . . “

“What?”

“What about him?” he nearly snarled out the question.

“Him?” she decided to play dumb. Maybe that way, he’d believe she was over Spike and that he actually meant nothing to her.

“Don’t patronize me!” he shouted, slamming his fist down on the dashboard.

Buffy nearly jumped out of her skin and her heart jumped into her throat. She couldn’t speak, couldn’t do anything except drive. She swallowed hard and could hear her breath coming out heavy.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered, “I didn’t mean to yell like that. It’s been a long day.”

She nodded, “That’s . . . okay. We can just go home and rest okay?”

“Is it over, Buffy?”

“Yes.”

“Why did you leave me?” he asked on a whisper.

“I was . . . scared.”

He looked at her, “Of me?”

Yes. “Of. . . us. Of me. Of our . . .love,” she nearly choked on the word.

“And now?”

“I want to make it up to you,” she said in a breathless rush, hoping he believed her.

He reached out and ran his fingers through her hair, smiling dopily at her, “You will,” he assured her. “You will.”

********
As soon as they entered the house in which Buffy shook all over from the mere sight of it, Lindsey seemed to snap into action. He took her hand and ran up the stairs, leaving her no choice but to follow. She felt bile rise to her throat. Oh God, he didn’t want to . . . please God . . . She simply could not do that.

Letting go of her hand in the bedroom he ran to the closet and started ripping clothes out of it. “Start packing, Buffy.”

She stood, frozen and relieved. “What?”

“Start packing.”

“Why? Where are we going?”

He stopped and turned to her. “London, Mexico, Caribbean, I don’t care at this point, but we’re not staying here.”

“You can’t go anywhere. You leave the country and –“

“If they can’t find me, they can’t do anything to me,” he said, grinning.

“You did it,” she said matter-of-factly. “You embezzled that money.”

He barked out a laugh, an insane laugh that sent chills up her spine and made her wonder where the sniveling man was that had been crying on her shoulder at the police station. Had that been all an act?

“Of course I did. I had to.” He waved his hands around, “How else was I able to pay for your house?”

My house?”

“This is –was—all yours, my sweet Buffy. Don’t worry. I have funds in places undetected. I’ll get you another home. Just like this one.”

She shook her head, “I don’t want another one. I can barely stand this one,” she told him truthfully. She wanted to kick herself for saying that thought out loud. Was she trying to egg him on?

He glared at her. “You never said that before.”

“Maybe I was afraid to.”

“Oh knock it off, Buffy,” he snapped. “You learn to get all tough from Angel and your stupid little boy toy? Start packing.”

Straightening, she said simply, “No.”

“Yes,” he hissed.

“What are you gonna do if I don’t? Drug me?” she snapped.

“Stop being so damn insolent and pack!”

“Or will you push me down the stairs again?”

He froze, and turned white. “You—“

Go for the gold, Buffy. “Remember? Yeah, I remember.”

His eyes narrowed, “You’re lying.”

“Takes one to know one doesn’t it Lindsey?” she all but snarled at him.

“You never . . . you never just fucking stop!” He stalked over to her and before she knew what was happening, he drew his arm back and snapped her head to the side with the force of his backhand. “Pack,” he said through clenched teeth.

That made her angry. Angry at him for hitting her, angry at herself for having stayed with him for so long, angry for her memories being lost, angry at herself for not being able to remember, angry for living in fear of this disgusting man before her. So incredibly angry. Balling her hands into fists she took a deep breath and hauled off and punched him square in the nose.

He swayed to the side, letting out a yell and clutching his nose. Then with almost preternatural agility, he swayed back up and faced her. If his eyes could glow like a demon, they would be at that moment. “You ungrateful bitch!”

Raising his hand he made to hit her again and she instinctively reached up and caught it in her hand and then, when his eyes widened in surprise, she kneed him in the groin.

“You don’t touch me anymore!” she screamed at him and punched him in the jaw and then kicked him in the stomach. He doubled over and fell to his knees. Having the advantage she started to kick him again when he caught her ankle, causing her to fall. Her mind was screaming Not again! Never again!

He laughed that maniacal laugh and started to lunge, like a cat. “Oh little girl thinks she can one up now does she? Got a taste of freedom and think your shit don’t stink!”

Roaring a battle cry, she kicked up, catching him on the jaw and he went flying backwards on his back. Not again! Never again

Buffy was so caught up in the moment she didn’t hear the police cars swarming the house and them banging in to get to them. He lay on his back, glaring at her. With a growl, he started to get up and go after her. Not again! Never again!She spun into a round house kick and kicked him once more in the stomach and then placed an upper cut under his chin, rattling his teeth. He fell to the ground with a groan.

“Buffy!”

When she felt a hand on her shoulder she spun to attack whoever was behind her and then she saw Spike, right there, and behind him, the men in blue barreling in to detain Lindsey. Promptly, she burst into tears.

Hauling her into his arms, Spike held her tight, Angel rushing in a second later.

“It’s over, Buffy,” he said soothingly, “It’s over now. So proud of my girl. So, so proud of my girl.”

She didn’t even look up to see them taking the bloody mess that was Lindsey away, and she barely heard Chief Stuart come in and pat her on the back for a job well done. All Buffy could do was cry out her anger and her frustration and her relief.

It was finally over.