Author's Chapter Notes:
Hi everyone, yeah, yeah, I know, new story. I plan to put my full attention of this fic now that A Self Portrait is done because well, I actually have ideas for more than one chapter for this one. I took major inspiration for the first part of this fic with Buffy/Cordy from part of one of my favorite books ‘I Was a Teenage Fairy’ by Francesca Lia Block but none of it’s actually word for word. All I know is that I can not take full credit and that she is a writing goddess. Oh yeah and Beth, this fic wouldn’t have been posted anytime soon with out you! Hope you enjoy!
This was the life, Buffy Summers thought happily as she leaned back against the seat on Cordy’s wicked awesome 16 birthday present with the wind in her hair.

She stretched out her toned, tan legs in front of her, resting them on the dashboard and opened up her compact mirror, slicking on her candy ice pink lip gloss. She watched her mouth move along with the words to Katy Roses ‘Overdrive’. The song made her want to scream the lyrics at the top of her lungs.

I’m independence.

I’m borderline.

I’m California.

Her eyes wandered to the number scrawled out her hand. Riley Finn’s number. Part of her wanted to spit on it and wipe it off, pretend like it was never there where the other part wanted it tattooed across her stomach in big letters to let the world know that Sunnydale’s most popular boy wanted to date her.

“Girl!” Cordy gushed, “I can not believe you! Riley Finn wants to go out with you! I don’t usually go for high school boys but…”

Buffy laughed and shook her head, “It’s no biggie Cordy…”

She didn’t know why really. She hadn't dressed up or done her makeup in any special way. Hell, she was in boys boxers rolled up to rest on her hips and a Volcom shirt. In other words, she looked like shit.

“Oh hell yeah it is!” there was a moment of silence before Cordy turned to look at her and burst out laughing, “Ohmygod, that was so funny with those skanky bitches and them trying to act as though we were the second class citizens.”

They’d been hanging on the beach, soaking up all of the summer that was left and two little whores had started to shoot off their mouths.

Out of now Buffy had burst out with, “Remember, if worst comes to worse, we reserve the right to fuck you up.”

Cordy had never laughed so hard.

“Gah,” Cordy whined, “I don’t wanna go back to school on Monday. I mean sure, we are the queen bitches but come on.”

Buffy moaned in agreement, “My god, I know. Like I need another year of learning things I’ll never use in life and teachers calling me a ‘bad seed’.”

“Darling,” Cordy turned to look at her, “They’re just jealous of our beauty and charm.”

Buffy laughed and nodded, “Hell yeah they are.”

Yup, life was damn good at times like these.

******

“Speak to me bitches,” Buffy answered her phone.

She was hanging of the end of her bed, painting her toenails, curlers in her hair.

She was getting ready for Harmony Kendal’s end of the year party.

“Hey Buffy,” Riley said on the other side of the line, making her blush slightly at the way she’d answered her cell.

“Oh, hey Riley,” she said coolly, “What’s up?”

“Well, I know that I just got your number today but I was wondering if…” he paused for a second, almost nervously, making Buffy smile, “I was wondering if you wanted to go to Harmony’s party with me.”

Buffy bit her lip. The urge to say no rose in her throat but she quickly swallowed it, “Okay, that’d be totally awesome.”

She could practically hear him smile, “Great! Pick you up at 9.”

“Kay,” she nodded, before hanging up.

Okay, honestly she didn’t want to go out with Riley but if she’d turned him down Cordy would have thrown a fucking fit.

Rolling off of her bed, she yanked on a pair of jeans over her boxers and headed down the stairs, pulling out the curlers on her way.

It was time to consult mom.

******

“Hey mommy,” Buffy said quietly as she approached her mother’s grave.

She folded her arms across her chest and smiled sadly before sitting down next to the tombstone and resting her head against with a sigh.

“I have everything mom,” she began, “I fucking have everything and when it comes down to it, I don’t want any of it.” She took a deep breath, “I mean most girls would kill to be in my designer shoes and here I am, sitting her bitching about it. What the hell is wrong with me?”

She lay down on her back to look at the night sky, “I wish you were here mommy. You’d know. You always knew…”

******

Spike walked through the Restfield Cemetery, twirling his stake between his fingers and whistling, ready to patrol.

He stopped dead in his tracks when he saw Buffy Summers, queen of Sunnydale High lying on her back talking to the sky. Daft little thing.

“Like tonight,” he heard her say, “Tonight I’m going to go to a party like I always do with Riley Finn, who according to the world around me, is the perfect guy for me and you know what? I don’t want to. There’s a part of me that wanted nothing more than to laugh in his face when he asked me for my number but the socially conscious side won out yet again. Goddamnit, why does that side always have to win out?”

Now really, he’d never thought of Buffy Summers as the type to sit and brood about her popularity. She was always smiling and giggling and flipping her bloody shampoo commercial hair.

Spike tilted his head to the side to study the petite blonde.

She really was a cute little chit with her short little skirts, always glossy lips and shiny blonde hair. Not that he’d ever be interested in one of Cordelia Chase’s minions, always with their noses stuck in the air like they were gods’ gift to mankind.

He briefly wondered if he should say something to her. One of Sunnydale’s many fine cemeteries was not the safest place for little girls to hang around after dark.

He then shrugged before he started to walk away. He got about a meter before he heard, “Ohmygod, were you like just watching me?!”

With a sigh, he turned around to face her.

“Well?!” she demanded as she scrambled to her feet and planted her hands firmly on her lips.

“Listen Betty,” he started but she cut him off quickly.

“It’s Buffy you asshole and you know it,” she snapped at him, “I’m the girl that all the guys want remember? Don’t think that you're any exception.”

Spike snorted, “Oh don’t flatter yourself you stupid bint.”

“Ooh touchy,” Buffy laughed at him nastily, “What? You afraid that tomorrow I’ll go back to school and tell everyone that the bleached freak was stalking me?” She stopped as though to ponder it for a moment before saying, “Oh yeah, I probably will but it’s not like it’ll hurt your rep or anything. You're already classified as psycho-loser for the rest of your high school years.”

She didn’t know why she was being so nasty to him. Yes, it was creepy that he’d just been there in the graveyard but he could have been just passing through. Were both of his parents alive?

It didn’t matter. She had to lash out to protect herself. It was him that caught her talking to herself or her dead mother really.

She stopped to size him up. Spike Rayne, Sunnydale High’s very own bleached, leather wearing, scar having bad boy. She’d heard things about him. Scary things such as that he burned down the gym during a dance at his last school because this girl that was a hundred times to good for him rejected him and he totally wigged and that he has an obsession with sharp, pointy things. Not only that but he hung out with two members of the Social Scum Club as Cordy and she had named it.

The Social Scum Club consisted of only Sunnydale’s lowest creatures such as Willow Rosenberg and Xander Harris.

And there she went again thinking she was better than everybody! Her mother must have been so fucking proud.

During her little mental rant, she had only been vaguely aware of the fact that he was speaking.

All she caught was a ‘whatever Summers’ and something that resembled ‘bloody bitch’ before he was gone.

“Buffy Summers, you are a real bitch,” she said aloud to herself before starting out of the cemetery, giving her mother a short goodbye.