Author's Chapter Notes:
cliffhanger ending!
Buffy had dropped it like it’s hot, shaken it like a salt shaker, and even done the hustle like there was no tomorrow. Riley had stepped on her toes repeatedly during all of this. Yes, like her shoes didn’t put her feet through enough torture.

What a fun night this was.

She collapsed down onto a chair at their table and sighed.

How many times tonight had she had to listen to people gush and fawn over her? Over her dress, over her and Riley, over everything. Like she was something special. Honestly, it was nice at times. Kept the morale high but really, the whole thing was just getting old.

Maybe she needed some change in her life. Maybe she could cut and dye her hair, get a whole new wardrobe and move to LA where no one knew her. In LA she would just be another pretty face in the crowd. No one would give a shit about her there. Maybe that’s what she needed.

She wouldn’t survive that though. It had become an addiction to be the center of attention. The harsh truth was that no one outside of Sunnydale would care if she fell over and died and that hurt.

She wanted to change the world. She wanted to be somebody that they would all remember for something over than having the nicest clothes. High school was just the starter for her. She didn’t give a shit about high school. It could kiss her perfectly shaped ass. When she got to college, then she’d show everyone. The world wouldn’t know what hit them.

Talk is cheap though. She could sit here and tell herself that she would change the world all she wanted. She had to get out there and just fucking do. Then it would mean something.

Of course if she were to tell her friends any of this, they would laugh. They all already knew their future. Go off to college, party their way through it, meet their rich husband and live not so happily after with their 2.5 messed up children and their country club membership. She’d rather slit her fucking wrists then have that life.

She paused before realizing, Spike wouldn’t laugh. She’d told him a lot of things that showed her human side that she hid so well from the rest of the world and he had never laughed. Okay so yeah, he had laughed when she’d told him about her secret ABBA obsession but that was it.

Buffy looked out at the dance floor and watched her friends and their dates act like they owned it. She watched as Cordy snapped at some girl that she’d bumped into like it had been the girl’s fault. She watched as Harmony and Riley got awful close. Well, at least she wouldn’t have to deal with that anymore. They deserved each other.

It still hurt though. Her boyfriend, though she didn’t really even like him, was still choosing the school’s resident whore over her.

Whatever. Life would go on. It always did. She’d have to walk around for at least a week and act heart broken for the affect but she was glad to be rid of him. Besides, it was funny to let Harmony go around smirking thinking that she’d gotten something over her. Please, the stupid bitch was delusional.

She stood up and grabbed her handbag before she started out of the dance. This scene was just old. Once she got outside she hiked up her dress to make it easier to walk and started to the one place she knew she’d be able to find Spike, the cemetery. At first it had been creepy but now she was used to it. She couldn’t help but wonder why he was always there though. She hadn't bought his ‘out for a walk’ thing since day one.

She walked alone, just enjoying the peacefulness of the night for a few blocks, stopping once to remove her shoes, before she reached Restfield. She’d just pop in to say hi to her mother and find Spike to spill her guts. She just hoped he was there. She didn’t know why she always expected him to be there when she needed him to talk. It was completely unfair of her.

Sure enough, as she entered the gates, there was Spike. Only this time he was with his little red headed friend Willow. They were laughing about something and Willow leaned over and given him a playful push before sticking her tongue out at him. She giggled, he laughed, she giggled, he laughed. Really it was disgusting.

She tilted her head to the side and watched them some more. It’s not like they would make a cute couple or anything. They looked weird together. Usually she thought it was cute when the socially awkward found love among each other but..

Oh. My. God.

She was jealous of them.

The world as she knew it was ending.

“Well, well, well,” a male voice with a slight lisp drawled from behind her, making a chill go up her spine, “Look at the tasty little morsel I’ve found myself tonight.”

She spun around, putting on her bravado and was about to tell him that if he didn’t back away now she’d knee him so hard in the balls that they would come out of his mouth all while trying to get out the pepper spray in her purse when she saw his face.

It was....

He gave her a fangy smirk and licked his lips, “Oh little girl, I’m going to have fun with you tonight.”

In a state of horror and shock she did the only thing she could.

She screamed.

******

A loud female scream tore through the night air.

Spike stopped, instantly snapping into slayer mode.

“Over there!” Willow pointed urgently in the direction the scream had come from.

Spike turned and froze.

Buffy.

This was his chance. He’d save her and he’d get the girl and for once everything would…

His thought was cut off when the bloody poof entered the picture.

******

Buffy really didn’t know what was going on. One minute she was frozen in shock as some disgusting thing came at her. Now there was some dark figure dressed in all black kicking the shit out for the disgusting thing. Now it wasn’t that she was unthankful for the dark figure but what the fuck was going on?!

She watched, transfixed, as the dark figure thrust something into the chest of the disgusting thing and it turned to dust right before her eyes.

“Are you okay Miss?”

Buffy was to busy melting over the dark figure to answer.

Their eyes locked for a moment, her mouth gaping, choking on her words.

Those eyes…

Swoon