Author's Chapter Notes:
hope u all enjoy!
‘Wow,’ Buffy thought sarcastically, ‘this is like the best date ever!’

Riley and she had been at the party all of twenty minutes and it had taken her the first two to discover his favorite topic of discussion. What you may ask? Himself.

“And that,” Riley boasted proudly, taking a sip of his beer, “Is how I helped up win the champion chip came between…”

“Riley,” Buffy asked him sweetly, cutting him off. He shot her annoyed look but quickly covered it, “Yes?”

“Could you please get me another drink?” she requested, looking down at her empty cup and back up at him.

“Sure thing Buff,” he took her glass and flashed a smile before going to get her a refill.

Okay so yeah, having guys wrapped around your little finger was good. And to think, this was just the beginning of the first date. What could she have him do after a month of dating?

Not that she was sure she wanted to go on another date. Sure he was cute and had that boyish little smile but she had a feeling that that was going to get old and fast. He was just bland when it came down to it. He seemed like the type that would want her to go have Christmas with his grandma in Iowa and that was just down right creepy. She didn’t do serious relationships. They always burned her in the end. Plus, she didn’t do farms or any of the mid-west states either. Well other than Chicago. They had nice shoes in Chicago.

A few minutes later Riley came back with some pinkish orange fruity drink. Cordy must have been getting creative with the liquor again.

She took a sip and sat back as Riley started on about himself again.

******

“Someone looks a little grumpy tonight,” Willow smiled at Spike.

He was sitting in his seat with a scowl on his face. It really was rather cute.

“Yeah,” Xander said, “Did you get your ass kicked on patrol tonight or did Angel just beat you to the evil ass kicking again?”

Spike glared at him, “No. I had a run in with Sunnydale’s Princess Bitch Buffy.”

Willow raised an eyebrow, “In the cemetery?”

He nodded in confirmation before grumbling, “She was supposedly visiting her mother’s gave.”

“Oh,” Willow paused, “Well then I can see why she would get a little defensive. I mean her mother is dead and she was just trying to have a conversation with her. It must still be painful and all.”

“You're defending her?” Xander and Spike asked in unison, shocked.

“Well….” Willow looked up at both of them, “No. I’m sure she said some really nasty things but you have to look at it from her perspective.”

At this Spike went back to scowling which made Willow roll her eyes, “Fine, be a big baby about it. I can't stop you.” She looked at Xander before grabbing his arm, “Come on. Let’s dance and let Spikey here pout in peace.”

Xander snickered before nodding and following Willow out of the dance floor of the Bronze.

Fine, Spike mentally grumbled, just leave me then.

The stupid bitch ruined his entire night she did.

After their little confrontation, he’d almost let some incompetent fledgling get the best of him. It could have been the end for him and it would have been her bloody fault!

She was nothing special. She was as manufactured as they came! There were a million of Buffy Summers in California alone.

Dealing with bitchy little blondes wasn’t in his job description as the slayer either. Of course now he wasn’t ‘the’ slayer but just ‘a’ slayer with the poofer Angel around now.

Oh he needed to get out of here,

******

Her thoughts somehow wandered to the topic that was Spike. Before tonight, he wasn’t even a topic. He was just there, just like anyone outside of her social circle. The people who were just there did not get their own topic yet here she was on the Spike.

Ooh, that sounds kinky...

Bad Buffy! No thinking about being on Spike!

He had that stupid smirk and did he not get the memo that the eighties were long gone? Just because you were born it that decade, doesn’t mean you have to look like you're from that generation.

Hmm, wonder how much he’d like it if she started to call him Billy. He had called her Betty and if he wanted to play name games, she could play. Like he hadn't known her name! Everyone knew of her!

Why was she getting so riled up over this anyways? He was a nothing and she was an everything! The everythings didn’t take time to think about the nothings!

“Riley darling,” she heard and her head snapped up.

Cordy to the rescue!

“I need to borrow Buffy here for just a moment,” Cordy said sweetly, taking Buffy’s hand, “I promise to return her soon.”

Riley smiled goofily, “Okay, just return her in one piece.”

Both girls shot him a sugar induced smile and started off.

“Oh thank you so much Cordy, I was ready to kill myself back there!” Buffy sighed, rolling her eyes.

Cordy laughed, “I could tell. So is he really as plain as white bread?”

“Do you even need to ask?” Buffy gave her a look.

“And to think, you have to actually go back out there…”

“Shut up you bitch,” Buffy muttered with a loving smile.

Cordy returned the smile and patted her on the shoulder, “I know you love me Buffy. Here, how’s this. Go tell Riley that you aren't feeling the greatest and I’m going to give you a ride home and that you’ll call him okay?”

“Cordelia Chase, you are the best,” Buffy planted a big kiss on her cheek before going back into the living room area were Riley was.

When she found him he was having himself a good old time chatting it up with Harmony Kendal and leering at her chest.

She suppressed the urge to roll her eyes. People were just so obvious.

“Riley,” Buffy said, putting on her very best sick little girl voice, “I’m not feeling the best. Cordy is going to give me a ride home.”

Harmony shot her a nasty smile, “I hope you feel better soon then Buffy.”

Bitch.

“No, tell Cordy she doesn’t have to. I brought you. I’ll give you a ride home,” Riley smiled at her.

Oh great.

“Really Riley, that’s okay. You don’t have to leave,” Buffy started to turn to go back into the kitchen to find Cordy but he stopped her.

“I want to. It’s the least I can do,” he insisted.

With a sigh, Buffy nodded, “Okay. Let me just go tell Cordy.”

The boy really didn’t know when to take a hint did he? Jeez, she didn’t think that if she’d flat out told him that she didn’t want him to take her home and she didn’t intend to see him again, he would have gotten it.

Oh well, at least the date was almost over…