Author's Chapter Notes:
Read 'Hamlet' and you will understand the refference. For those of you so inclined reading Job chapters 1 and 2 couldn't hurt if you want to understand what's going on. Please review. ;-)
IN THE INTERREGNUM

In this place there was no future, there was no past, there was just the eternal now.

Holland had to admit he was surprised at this development. In all his time in the Home Office, he'd never heard of this kind of thing. But then, maybe that was why he'd been chosen for this assignment. Joint ventures weren't entirely unheard of in the world of law. Even so, this was a horse of a different color.

The more jaded among them might begin to think that their lives were playthings for the Powers' amusement.

The fact that his assignment was among the most jaded beings in any working dimension made what he would be asked to do all that much easier, and because of their history, just that much more fun.

If this assignment went his way, he would make Regional Director for sure. If not, the satisfaction would be, understandably delayed, but he would still be known as a rainmaker around the Office.

"I must say I'm more than a little surprised by this. A thing like this doesn't come down the pike very often. I'm here to confirm that this is a legitimate request before we commence work," he addressed the spirit with apprehension, "You understand our concern, I'm sure."

"We do. This is a legitimate request. The results through usual avenues have produced mixed results. This one's destiny is still in the balance. So many destinies depend on this one's choices. We need to know if we have made an error in our calculations."

"An error?" Holland checked the file again, and hissed in sympathy, "Yes. He does seem to be all over the map, doesn't he? Still, I thought the bugs had been worked out of the system? Why come to the Home Office with this?"

"If that one continues to be unfocused he could upset the balance even further, throwing this dimension and others, into chaos. That cannot happen. Then of course, there is the other."

Holland nodded, "Yes. They do seem to be on parallel paths at the present," he studied the file closely, "Have been for quite some time, according to this."

"Yes, and until that is resolved, that dimension will remain in a state of flux. The balance must be restored. You see our dilemma. We cannot interfere, yet for the sake of equilibrium, we must do so."

"I can see how that might be a conundrum," Holland agreed, "I will make the arrangements. We'll start right away."
********************

PRESENT DAY- LOS ANGELES

"Close your eyes, Buffy."

"Why?"

"Buffy, for once, don't question. Just do it."

Buffy's eyes lit up, "Now who has the shoe fetish?"

Spike fought the urge to groan, "Slayer, will you please focus?" he slowly approached her from behind, whispering in her ear, "With Drusilla you can't trust your eyes. She'll use your eyes to lie to you. Now, close them."

She closed her eyes and listened. She reached out with her senses to try to find Spike. On the surface she listened for the rustle of his feet against the mats. She felt the wind rush past her as his body moved through the space between them. She knew he was in the room so it couldn't be this easy, there had to be more to this than playing blind man's bluff all day. This just couldn't be what Spike had in mind. "This isn't what you had in mind, is it Spike? Because, even though I think a game of tag could be very... distracting, I don't think it's gonna help with Dru."

There was no answer. Everything was quiet. Buffy was suddenly in freefall. She had no anchor, no compass. Just empty space with nothing to catch her. Where was he? She was panicked. Had he stepped out for a moment and been grabbed? Had Drusilla taken him? She tried again, "Spike?"

Spike could feel her skin vibrating with the fear in her. Could hear the blood rushing at a frantic pace because of it. In the dark of this room he could see the subtle change in her skin. He watched her skin slowly etiolating down from golden to bloodless and he wished he could reach out and hold her. This was torture for him, putting her through this. But, in order to fight Dru, she had to learn to get beyond her senses.

When she called his name out, he had to bite the inside of his cheek, so hard he nearly drew his own blood, in an effort not to respond. He hated doing this. He knew how he would feel if he were suddenly deprived of the comfort her presence gave him. But, it had to be done. He loved her too much not to prepare her in any way he could.

Buffy felt her skin tighten around her eyes as she fought the muscles that would have forced her eyes open. Okay, so this kind of felt like she'd been thrown into the deep end of the ocean, and asked to swim for her life.

But that was the point, wasn't it? This was her life. This fight was sink or swim and Buffy wouldn't have Spike with her in this fight.

Except she would have him with her, he was always with her and that was the point. She suddenly understood the importance of that symbol George had painted on the floor. They would be connected, always. He was her light in the darkness. He had been ever since she'd clawed up from the grave. Even though she couldn't feel his presence, she knew he was there. It had been, and always would be so.

It was as easy as breathing.

She found the safe place beyond the emotions that he had told her was there, but she had never seen before. She waited patiently for him to come to her. She knew he would, because no matter how far away it goes, a heart always returns to its true north. It always comes home.

The warmth of his voice reached out of the darkness to guide her to the light, "Now you're getting it, Slayer. Open your eyes."
*************************

"The rain seems to be stopping," Holland observed, "The sun should be setting soon. All that's left to do is send out the invitations. That is, unless you still want to talk things out. That's something you've always been good at. The talking part, I mean. Not so good with the action part though, are you? Something always seems to fall apart when it comes to that doesn't it?"

"Holland," Angel hissed, "stop being a gnat in my ear, and shut up!"

"No need to throw me out. I was leaving anyway. The lady Drusilla is entrusting me with seeing that her guests are informed of her party," he stopped near the door and turned back, "You do know that you're the guest of honor, don't you? You don't want to miss this play. It's quite a gripper."

"Holland, get out."

"I'm leaving. Remember what I said. Are you going to let Spike slide into your place without a fight?" he shook his head, "I really expected more from a Champion. See you there. Don't be late," he said as he vanished into the time and space of eternity.
*************************************

Just as Buffy and Spike reached the path in front of his apartment, they noticed that no one was standing watch. Buffy checked the time. They must have arrived just as the Scoobies were changing shifts. Buffy looked around for the relief. She spotted Illyria walking swiftly toward her, "She's really lucky this is L.A.," Buffy said, "Normally, blue hair and body armor would get you noticed, if not arrested."

Spike wasn't listening to her. He was too busy looking in the other direction, his eyes following the black limousine that was creeping slowly down the street and stopping right in front of his door. A man in a charcoal grey suit stepped out just as his umbrella unfolded to shield him from the weather. The man walked right up to Buffy and Spike, smiled and said, "The lady Drusilla has asked me to extend an invitation to you, Miss Summers, to be her," he paused, searching for the right words, "guest for dinner," he smiled, "and the theatre tomorrow night. A crucible of sorts," he produced a small business card from his breast pocket and handed it to Buffy. "This is by invitation only," he glanced at Spike, "of course. The gentleman and his associates will be joining us at a later date. Please be at that address tomorrow night at eight, as per you previous arrangement. Don't be late. Oh, and to ensure that you're not, a car will be by to pick you up at 7:30." He smiled again as he ducked his head back into the limousine and it slowly drove off.

Buffy handed the card to Spike and almost immediately wished she hadn't. The minute he read the address on the card, his hands began shaking and he begged her, in a voice as desperate as she'd ever heard before, "Buffy, please don't go."

"What do you mean, 'Don't go'? I promised. We both knew that this was coming. There's no telling what could happen to you if I back out now. Aside from the fact that there's gonna be this big black mysterious car coming to pick me up tomorrow, we don't know if the poison's really gone out of your system, or if this is just some kind of remission or something," Buffy touched Spike's face and realized that the shaking was not limited to his hands. His whole body was shaking, "Hey," she nodded to Illyria, "let's get you inside," she tried to put him at ease a little, "What happened to the 'Jedi Master' thing you had going there? Really looked good on you."

"Yeah well, 'Jedi Master' wised up a bit and left 'Frightened-To-Hell- Will' in his stead."
*****************************

The abandoned factory smelled of sweets and spirits. It was just perfect for what Drusilla had in mind. The Slayer would walk right into her trap because she thought she loved William. William would follow, because a boy always returns to his true north. He always returns to where his heart is. A boy's heart is, and forever would be, with his mother. William would see that the Slayer didn't love him, not when he was well again. She had proof of that. The Slayer didn't love her Daddy once he'd rid himself of the sickness he'd carried with him.

When Angelus wasn't maimed by the soul the gypsies put in his chest, like a cancer, the Slayer didn't love him. But she did. She loved them both and she wanted them both whole and well again.

They would see that she loved them. And she would see who loved her.
***************************

"Slayer, we can take the car. I don't need to sleep, and with the necro-tempered glass, I can drive around the clock," he was begging her, "Please Slayer, let's just go. Let's just leave. Please. I can't bear to lose you."

This was a side of Spike she hadn't seen. She wondered for a moment if he really had gone mad. Then she remembered what she felt like when Glory was going after Dawn with single-eyed, dogged determination. Buffy had fled out of her love for her sister. Everyone had thought she'd gone crazy, but to her it was the only thing that made any kind of sense at the time. It seemed to be her only way out and she loved her sister too much to see her hurt. If protecting her meant running away, then so be it.

"Spike, is there something about the address that," she bit her lip, "scared you?"

Tears slowly made their way down his cheeks, "Yes!" he snapped. He took a shuddering breath and started again, "I was in that factory once before. I don't want to be there again. The smell of it...even if I wasn't concerned for you, the smell alone might drive away my rational thinking ability."

"Why? Spike, what happened to you there?"

"Slayer, I was crippled there. Dana...she," Spike swallowed hard, "It wasn't her fault. She thought I was someone else, someone who'd hurt her. Slayer, she cut off my hands in that factory. I can't go in there. I can't protect you there."

She closed her eyes in empathy, "My God," Buffy gasped, gliding her hands gently down his arms, "I understand. But this is my fight. And, I'm not going in there alone," she touched her hand to her heart, "You'll be with me. Right here. Now, we just have until tomorrow night, and I don't want my thoughts of you, as I fight the fight of my life and yours," she kissed him lightly, "to be all about that worry face. Spike, will you hold me, please?"
****************

The black car showed, precisely at 7:30 the next night. Holland gave a wry smile as he watched the two lovers embrace, saying their goodbyes.

"Don't worry Spike. You'll be seeing her again soon," he looked at his watch. "In twenty-four hours as a matter of fact," he took in the worried glances that passed between them, " I'll take you to her myself. The two ladies just need time to chat. You can give them that, can't you?"

Buffy hugged Spike tightly, not wanting to let go. His grip was surprisingly strong, "Don't worry, Spike. I'm a big Slayer," he brushed her lips lightly with his. She thought she tasted salt in that kiss. She wasn't sure if the tears were her own, or if they were his, "You'll be with me," she touched her heart, "Right here."

Buffy gave Spike a little smile as she entered the car.

Before the door closed, Holland looked up and smiled at Spike, "You know, Angelus will be given the same offer you will be. Did you know that there are some Higher Ups that are placing odds on you, Spike? I will be very curious to see how it all turns out. See you tomorrow night." He closed the door and the car slowly slid away into the night.
****************

Buffy addressed the blackness, "Well Dru, no more hiding. I know you're here, you want to talk, and I'm ready for you. I had a good teacher. You want to fight? I can handle that too."

"Oh, Slayer," Drusilla laughed, "This was never about you."

Just then Buffy felt a pain in her skull and her vision went fuzzy and then faded to blackness.

"I want to play," Drusilla sneered, "And you are going to pay for hurting my William."
*******************************************