Author's Chapter Notes:
Ok This probably isn't the chapter everyone was hoping for, but there were still some issues that needed to be worked out. Tomorrow, however....
It took all of Buffy’s will power to control the overpowering forces inside of her that were all screaming for one thing.

Spike.

Yet, still she resisted.

She called up the memories of sitting alone in Rome, night after night, mourning him. She couldn’t go through that again.

Steeling herself against him, she met his eyes coldly.

“What’s going on here, Spike?” She asked through gritted teeth.

He chuckled in her ear and then pulled back. He glided across the room and sat lounging on the bed. He looked positively sinful sitting there like that. Buffy licked her lips nervously, before remembering the promise she made to herself.

Spike knew it wasn’t going to be easy, but he had hoped. Such a stubborn bint, his Slayer, it was going to take much more to break down these walls of hers. Good thing he had just the right equipment to do it.

Now that he was aware of the connection, he knew Illyria was right. Buffy did belong to him, had always belonged to him. He told her once a long time ago that she was inside him, in his blood, but the years that followed and the dark turn their relationship took had him doubting his own instincts. Yet there it was, an unbreakable bond that was how he always could track her down, it wasn’t just a sense of smell, but a sense of her.

He gave her a slow grin. “Why pet, I just wanted to talk to you, that’s all.”

“Talk?” Buffy looked around. “First of all you could have talked to me earlier, but you wanted to storm off all angry like. Second, this doesn’t look like you wanted to talk, this looks like a seduction.” Her voice rose, with her anger. “And why did my friends and sister feel the need to lie to get me here?” She didn’t even give him time to answer. “You know, I don’t even want to know.” She turned around. “I’m out of here.”

Before she could walk through the open doorway, there was a rushing noise behind her. The door closed in her face and she found herself pressed up against it, with Spike’s lean frame pressed up against her. She took several deep shaking breaths, trying to get herself under control again, but each time she inhaled she could smell his signature scent and it made her want him more.

Tears rose up in her eyes as she fought with herself, refusing to give in and just melt into him. She was so tired, and the war going on inside her was taxing her even more. She swallowed thickly.

“Now are you going to be a good little Slayer and listen to what I have to say or am I going to have to chain you up?” Spike spoke in a low voice right next to her ear.

Anger flared up inside her, red hot. “I’d like to see you try.” She growled. Spike pushed away from her enough so she could turn around and look at him, well glare at him.

“Where’s the cattle prod and Dru? Are we expecting Harmony as well?” She shoved him hard away from her and spun around trying desperately to open the door. Unfortunately she found it locked and the doors were much heavier than she would have imagined, she could probably break them down, but it would take her more time than she wanted to spend.

“What’s the matter Slayer? Don’t you trust me?” His voice was farther away now and she knew without turning around he was lounging on that damn bed again.

Frustration rose up in her. Why was he doing this to her? Why was he pushing her like this? He had been so non-pushy the last year, taking his cues from her and just happy for anything she was willing to offer him. He had been a strong stable presence by her side. A friend. What had changed?

She turned slowly. “Spike, did you lose your soul?”

She watched him set his jaw, and she didn’t have to be close to him to know he was seriously pissed off by her question. “No.”

“Then why…”

“Why what? Why aren’t I doing what you ask like an obedient little puppy? Why aren’t I sitting back quietly while you bounce me back and forth like a rubber ball, AGAIN?” He stopped and got control over his anger. “I have a better question for you, pet. What is it you are so afraid of? Me?”

Buffy looked around the room for another exit, she saw a doorway in the far corner. She started moving towards it cautiously. “You wish.” She answered him.

“So then why is the Almighty, Supercharged Slayer panicked at the thought of being alone in a house with me?” He stood up and stalked over to her. He thrust something in her hands before taking his spot on the bed again.

She looked down in order to make sure that he had indeed just handed her a stake.

“Now you have the advantage. Now will you sit and have a chat with me?” Buffy didn’t move, just looked from him to the stake in her hands and back again.

“What still don’t trust me? Afraid I’ll, what? Bite you? Turn you?” Buffy still didn’t say anything. “Answer me!!” His voice was commanding, cold and deadly.

Shivers ran through her at his tone. She told herself they were just shivers of fear. What else would they be?

Spike stood up and moved towards her, she shrank away from him. “What are you afraid of?” He demanded. Buffy shook her head no; she felt the tears burning behind her eyes again. He didn’t let her get too far; he grabbed her shoulders and shook her roughly.

“Bloody hell, answer me!!”

“I can’t.” Buffy cried as the tears broke over her face.

Spike’s own heart almost broke at the sight; he had seen her upset before. He had even seen her with tears in her eyes before, but to see her openly sobbing like this tore at him. Yet he knew he couldn’t give in, not now, he needed her to face these fears, if her let her get away without doing that, when her walls went back up they would be twice as thick.

“Answer me!” He yelled.

“I can’t.” Buffy backed up against the wall and slid to the ground.

“Can’t what?” He badgered her.

Buffy shook her head no again. “Can’t what, Slayer?” He didn’t yell this time, however, his voice wasn’t any less frightening for the lack of volume.

“I can’t face losing you again.” She whispered, so softly he almost didn’t hear her even with his enhanced senses.

He immediately softened his stance; he dropped to the ground in front of her. He reached out gently and took her chin raising her eyes to meet his. He almost winced at the misery he saw there.

“When you were gone…” She paused for a hiccupping breath. “I didn’t want to live. I missed you so much and you weren’t there. You were always there and then you weren’t and I was all alone. And it hurt so much. If I let myself…” Another hiccup. “If I let myself, and you died again, I couldn’t. I just couldn’t. Please, Spike.” She dissolved into sobbing again.

“If you let yourself what, pet?” She didn’t answer or if she did it was swallowed by her sobs.

“Buffy do you love me?” She cried harder. “Buffy, do you?”

“Y-yes.” She said, she took a deep breath. “I love you. I love you so much, I…” More crying.

Spike let a gentle smile cross his face. He scooped her up in his arms; he walked with her across the room and gently set her down on the bed.

“You have nothing to worry about, Sweetheart, because I’m never going to leave your side. I promise.” She didn’t look like she believed him. “Have I ever broken my word to you?”

“No, but you didn’t come find me, and you told me I didn’t love you and there was the whole thing with Harmony.” Her tears were slowing down, now, but they still fell.

“Buffy Anne Summers, I love you more than anything else in the world and I swear to you right now, that I will never look at another female again, unless you want me to.” He said with an evil smirk, she rolled her eyes at him. “And I will never leave you again. You are my life, my love and my mate.”

“Your mate? You claimed me?” Buffy was confused.

“Turns out I didn’t have to.” Spike rested his hand on her chest above her heart, close your eyes, luv.”

She did as he requested. “Can you feel me there inside of you?” He asked her. For a second she couldn’t understand what he was talking about, and then she felt it. Deep inside her a feeling of love and comfort, unmistakably Spike. It had been there all along.

“I feel you.” She said, a bright smile broke across her face. “I feel your love.” She opened her eyes. “It’s the most wonderful thing I’ve every experienced.” She leaned forward to kiss him, but he stood up. “What are you doing?”

“Something I’ve wanted to do for a very long time.” He told her. “I need to get some things; I want you naked on that bed when I get back.” He walked out of the room through the doorway she had noticed earlier in the corner.

A shock of pure lust went through her. She sat up quickly and tore off her T-shirt before throwing off her shoes and then unbuttoning her pants and sliding them down over her legs. She lay back on the bed and thought about all the wonderful things Spike did to her when they were in bed together. She felt her sex swell and moisture begin to build up. She ran her hands down over her body, she cupped her breasts and let her fingers ghost over her nipples as she imagined it was his hands moving over her. She let one hand drift, running one finger up and down over her slit, spreading the moisture back and forth. Her eyes closed in pleasure as she waited for him to return to her.

A loud clanging noise had her eyes flying open in surprise.

Spike stood before her, his shirt now unbuttoned revealing his lean chest and abdomen. There was hunger in his gaze as he watched her lightly touch herself, but what caught her attention, causing a small amount of alarm, was the manacles and chains that he held.

“Do you trust me?” He asked her.



Wesley followed Willow into a room where Illyria paced nervously. As soon as he saw her his anger exploded.

“What kind of game are you playing at now?” He asked her. “You let Willow believe Fred is still alive inside of you.”

“I am not playing a game. I asked the witch to go inside my mind and find out where these emotions are coming from. She discovered Fred still within this shell. That should not be possible.”

“You told me Fred ceased to exist when you took over!” Wesley accused her.

“She should have. This should not be. I must have underestimated the human spirit.”

Wesley laughed; it was a very hysterical sound. “Indeed?”

“I want her terminated. I want to be free of these emotions.”

“Of course you do.” Wesley said still laughing. Weeks, months spent in mourning, trying to find a way to bring back the woman he loved and now they said she still survived inside this demon.

“Before we do that,” Willow broke in. “I want to take Wesley inside you mind so he can see for himself.”

“What good will that do?” Illyria asked.

“I just want him to see, maybe there is a way we can handle this without killing off Fred.” Willow tried to soothe her.

“Fine.” Illyria crouched down. Wesley looked at Willow questioningly. She motioned for him to lean down next to her. She took a hold of one of Illyria’s hands, and then grabbed one of Wesley’s in her other hand.

Willow closed her eyes and began to chant in a language that sounded to Wesley like ancient Sumerian.

There was some disorientation as the room began to spin. Then the world dropped away and Wesley felt himself begin to fall.

He was surrounded by darkness and fire; there were creatures that seemed to incorporeal energy beings around him. They were warring with each other, fighting for dominance.

((These are Illyria’s memories)) He heard Willow’s voice, relieved that she was still with him, her relaxed slightly.

Deep with in the blackness he saw a bright speck shining out in the darkness. Then he saw another, and another. There were maybe a dozen or more total. They reminded him of golden stars.

Willow guided him directly towards one of these bright specs, which grew bigger as they got closer. They reached the boundary of it before entering inside. He could feel the change immediately.

When they stopped Wesley was surprised to see what looked like Fred’s bedroom.

“Wesley.” Her excited voice made him stop cold. He didn’t say anything to her.

“What’s wrong? Aren’t you happy to see me?”

Wesley didn’t know what to do. She looked like Fred, acted like Fred, she even smelled like Fred. Yet he knew Illyria could imitate Fred well enough to fool even her own parents.

“Wesley, it’s me. Really.” She told him. Wesley looked deep into her eyes saw that it was indeed her. He pulled her into his arms and started crying.

“Oh god, Fred. I thought I lost you. I thought I failed you.”

“You didn’t fail anyone, silly.” She told him as she held him tightly.

Willow moved away a little bit to give them their privacy. After a few minutes Wesley got control over himself.

“This is wonderful, we can give you power and you can use it to fight her and take back control of you body.” He said excitedly.

“Wes…” Fred tried to get his attention.

“We can probably get help from Willow or maybe Rupert could help us find a spell.”

”Wesley!!” That got his attention. “We can’t do that. I’m sorry, but we can’t.”

”What do you mean ‘we can’t’? Of course we can. We can kick that demonic bitch back to the deep well.”

“No, we can’t.” Fred pulled him towards her bed and made him sit down next her. “It would be like Angel. He keeps fighting Angelus and pushing him down and Angelus uses that energy and when he gets out he is a nightmare. Crazy and sadistic. Can you imagine what Illyria would be like if we did that to her?”

“If I stay here and work with her, change her outlook on things. Influence her decisions, make her feel my emotions, and then eventually, our personalities will meld together. The way Spike and his demon did or like Buffy and her Slayer side.”

“You know about Buffy?” Wesley asked.

“I see everything Illyria does. I told you, I’m a part of her, just like she’s a part of me now.”

Wesley looked down.

“So what now? I just have to let you go again?”

“No. I’m right here, just a little different.” Wesley didn’t say anything. “It would help her accept me if you wouldn’t keep shutting her out.”

Wesley stood up. “Surely you don’t expect me to start dating her.” He asked outraged.

“No, of course not.” Fred reassured him. “But you could be a little nicer to her. Not blame her for what happened. Remember she didn’t choose who she was reborn into, that was Knox.”

“I miss you so much.” Fred stood up and kissed him lightly. “Look deep enough inside her and you’ll find me. Everything happens for a reason Wesley, remember that. And remember, I will always love you.”

“I love you, too, Fred.” He kissed her again, more desperately this time, knowing their time was almost up.

“We should go.” Willow’s voice interrupted them.

“Thank you, Willow.” Willow nodded sadly as she watched Wesley’s face.

Fred turned back to him before they could leave and hit him hard in the chest. “And you start eating and sleeping again. If I have to I will get Illyria to start force feeding you she threatened.”

Willow took Wesley’s hand wanting to leave on a lighter note.

“I love you, Wesley.” Fred called as they started moving backwards, towards the way they entered.

“I love you.” Wesley yelled back at her but by that time they had returned and were both crouched on the floor in front of Illyria again.

She looked at them both. “I take it you believe she is real now?” She asked Wesley.

Willow looked from one to the other. “I think I’ll just leave you two alone now.” She got up and walked out of the room, leaving them staring at each other.