Chapter 8 House of Cards

When they reached Wolfram and Hart, Spike could feel Buffy’s nervousness. He knew she was worried about how her friends would treat her or what Angel was going to say about her attempt to kill him.

Spike was just happy that she hadn’t tried to hide their new understanding from the others, even when they stopped for clothes she hadn’t picked a shirt that would cover the bite marks on her neck and she slipped his coat back on over the T-shirt and jeans they purchased for her.

Spike had been shocked that Xander hadn’t made any comments about the fact Buffy had held onto his hand most of the way back. The whelp had even been somewhat nice to him, he still cracked the stupid jokes, but Spike could tell that it wasn’t malicious.

Buffy fidgeted with the coat the whole way up in the elevator, Spike put an arm around her trying to calm her down, but then he seemed to pick up on her nervous vibes and started fidgeting himself.

Even if the Whelp was being Ok with all of this he wasn’t stupid enough to think everyone else would be alright with it. The Watcher was probably going to have a coronary, if he was awake. Plus there was always Peaches to contend with. He believed Buffy when she said she was over him, but that didn’t mean he couldn’t influence her decisions.

“So did Angel’s girlfriend wake up, yet?” Buffy asked in a small voice.

“Not yet. I believe English and your Witch friend are researching a way to help her. They think if she transforms into a wolf she will be able to heal faster.” Gunn told her.

“I didn’t mean to hurt her.” Buffy said.

“Of course you didn’t Buffster.” Xander assured her. “We all know you weren’t in your right mind.”

“I doubt Angel is going to see it that way.” She muttered.

“I don’t know that is the thing that he’ll to be most upset about.” Xander said, looking directly at Spike. Buffy was still looking down so she didn’t notice them, but Spike got the message clearly. It only reinforced his nervousness.

“You mean the whole trying to kill him thing?”

“Pet, don’t let him worry you, his bark is worse than his bite these days.” Spike comforted her. If Angel dared to make Buffy feel bad or do anything else to upset her, Spike would kick him right out of the window.


The elevator opened and they stepped out. Buffy’s senses went off the chart from all the demons in the area. For a few seconds she fought for control as the Slayer side of her started struggling to be let out. Xander and Gunn both watched nervously as her eyes flickered between hazel and gold.

“Don’t fight it, luv. Just trust yourself.” Spike whispered in her ear. Buffy swore she felt a calming feeling radiating out from his hand, which rested on her lower back. She relaxed and let go of the hold she had on her power.

Everything suddenly changed, her already sharpened senses, increased again. Now she could hear conversations occurring behind closed doors down the hall. She knew exactly where every non-human creature on this floor was in an instant. She could almost see a ring around each of them based on their own internal power. However the Slayer didn’t feel the need to attack any of these creatures at this time. She could feel a dark energy lining the whole building, part of Wolfram & Hart’s power. It made her feel even more anxious. She didn’t like being here, but she hopefully wouldn’t have to stay long.

Slayer now pacified, that it had a chance to check out its surroundings, Buffy’s eyes resumed the hazel color.

She knew exactly where Angel and her friends were, the amount of power pouring from that room had called her attention to it like a magnet. The volume level was almost as overwhelming. She had heard several familiar voices yelling at each other. Giles and Angel were both yelling at each other over who was to blame for letting her get away. Dawn was telling them it was both of their faults.

“Sounds like the Bit is givin’ em the what for.” Buffy realized that Spike had changed when she did. She wondered if they were the same now that he was affected by her blood. She wondered what other changes they had left to discover.

“How did you know I’d be ok?” She asked him.

“Its just like being a vamp. If you give the demon some freedom, it has much less chance of overpowering you. The longer you have it and the more you work with it, instead of trying to control it, the more it becomes a part of you and adjusts to your nature.” Buffy looked at him in wonder, what he said made perfect sense. Was that why he wasn’t that much different with the soul? Not like Angel was at all.

“We all ok?” Gunn asked.

“Yeah, Charlie, we’re fine. Just experiencing a little adjustment period.” Spike told him.

Spike took Buffy’s hand and led her past them towards Angel’s office. Xander and Gunn fell in behind them and began to notice the voices that got louder as they approached the closed door.

“BUFFY?!?!” Harmony’s voice made Buffy stop short.

“Harmony? What are you doing here?” Her voice was angry and filled with suspicion. Why hadn’t Spike told her she was here?

“I’m Angel’s assistant.” She told her snottily.

“Really.” Buffy said shooting a look at Spike. “I didn’t know that.”

Harmony just gave a little laugh. “Oh please. There's no reason to be jealous, he was just using me as always.” She gave Spike a dirty look and stormed off.

Buffy’s eyes widened and she glared at Spike. They both opened their mouths at the same time, Buffy to yell and Spike to defend himself, but before they could start Xander interrupted.

“Guys, it sounds like there’s enough yelling going on right now. Could we maybe just go in and get this over with? Some of us would like to get some sleep some time this week.”

Buffy shut her mouth with a snap and tightened her lips. “Fine. We will talk about this later.”

“There really isn’t anything to talk about.” Spike told her.

“Is that why you didn’t tell me about it?” She snapped.

Just then the door to Angel’s office opened and the yelling exploded outwards. “This is getting us no where; I’m going outside wait for Xander…” Dawn said as she exited. She stopped when she realized Xander was in front of her. Her eyes immediately searched out and found her sister. “Buffy?”

Buffy’s face immediately lit up in a smile. “Dawn!” The sisters ran towards and hugged each other fiercely.

“I’m so glad you’re ok.” Dawn said.

“I’m ok. All part and parcel of the Slayer package undergoing an upgrade, I think.”

“Do you know why it happened?” Dawn asked as she let her go.

“I was hoping you guys could tell me.”

“Everyone in there is to busy playing politics with each other and bickering to worry about why this happened.” Dawn noticed the bite marks on her neck and the coat draped over her. She raised her eyebrows, causing Buffy to blush.

Dawn peered around her sister and spied Spike standing behind her. She stepped around Buffy so she was standing in front of him.

She was taller than he was now; obviously a capable young woman now. Spike couldn’t help but be proud of her.

“I told them you would take care of her.” She told him. Spike gave her a soft smile, but his eyes were focused on Buffy.

“Always.”

Dawn nodded, and then kicked him hard in the shins. “OW!!! What the hell?”

“That’s for not telling us you were back.” She said.

“And for not telling me YOU knew he was back, you are banned from closet indefinitely.” Buffy told her.

Dawn’s was about to argue with her sister, but just then Giles stepped out of the office.

“Good Lord Buffy!!” He gasped. He moved forward to hug her, but then stopped when he saw the bite marks on her neck. “Did he turn you?” He asked fearfully.

“WHAT!?! No.” Buffy told her Watcher. The others hearing Giles say her name rushed to the doorway. Suddenly everyone was surrounding her and asking questions at once. Willow hugged her repeatedly, while Giles was asking her about what happened.

And Buffy…Buffy just looked overwhelmed. “Guys!!” She yelled. “Can we go sit down and talk about all this?” She asked.

“Of course,” Giles agreed. “Maybe we should actually go someplace else to talk about this.”

“I think we have a right to get some answers too, Giles.” Angel said from behind him. Buffy looked at him nervously.

“This is a matter for the Watcher’s, Angel. I don’t see why you have a right to anything.” Giles told him.

“Its not like we’re talking about Homeland Security, here.” Buffy interjected. “Let’s just go in and go over this. Then I want to get some more rest.” She said, suddenly very tired.

“Buffy, I really don’t think this is wise…”

“Giles,” Buffy interrupted wearily. “They are on our side; we aren’t going to gain anything by fighting with people we should be working with.” With that she entered Angel’s office and took a seat on the couch in the room. Spike followed her in and stood behind her. She glanced up at him, she was still upset he hadn’t told her about Harmony, but she was still glad he was there with her. When everyone else had come back in and sat down, Buffy began.

“Ok. This is what I remember from the past couple of weeks. I don’t know how helpful it will be, though.”

An hour later, Buff had finished her tale and answered questions from both the Watcher’s. They were also questioning Spike; both had been fascinated about his role in bringing her back to herself. They also wanted to know all about their new powers. Angel said nothing the entire time; he just watched them with a cold, impassive stare. It made Buffy even more nervous. Illyria was also making her nervous. She recognized her somehow. Her power signature was very familiar to her demon, and it was demanding obedience from her.

“So do you guys know what happened?” Buffy finally asked her Watcher.

Giles looked uncomfortably towards Wesley first. “Oh, get over it Giles, spill.”

“Someone snuck into the Watcher’s Council and stole the scythe.”

”WHAT!!”

“We believe they used that to perform a spell to change you and Faith.”

“Do you know who did it?”

“No.”

Dawn interrupted. “While everyone else was running around like chickens with their heads cut off, I was investigating that. Does the name Ethan Rayne sound familiar?”

“Ethan!” Even Spike was impressed with the growl that came from Giles. “How do you know this Dawn?”

“Easy. I asked the Slayers who were there that day if anyone suspicious was around. They gave me a description and I figured the rest out from there.”

“I thought the government had Ethan.” Willow said.

“Well, either he escaped or they let him go.” Dawn said.

“That will be something we will have to look into.” Giles said thoughtfully. “Xander do you still have a number for Riley?”

”Yeah, I do. I’ll see what he knows.”

“Wesley, do you have any suggestions on where to start researching this?” Giles asked the younger man. The excitement they both felt over this new mystery overcame their mistrust of each other.

“Actually there are quite a few volumes that might contain this information. I would love to show you some other things they have here as well.”

“Giles? Is it ok if we get some rest? Some of us didn’t have the luxury of a twelve hour nap, like you.” Willow asked him.

“That’s quite all right, Willow.” Giles said distractedly as he left the room with Wesley, the promise of rare books capturing the focus of his attention.

“Buffy, we’re staying in the old hotel Angel used to live in, do want to come back there with us?”

Buffy looked at Spike. “Or do you have another place to stay?” Dawn asked knowingly.

“Guys, can I talk to Angel a minute?” Buffy asked.

“Um, sure.” Willow said, “We’ll just leave you two alone.”

Buffy didn’t have to look to know that Spike wasn’t happy with her request and Dawn was shooting her warning glances before she left the room. There was a long period of silence after everyone left while Buffy waited for Angel to start. When he didn’t say anything she realized he was going to make her start.

“Is your girlfriend any better?” She asked.

Angel raised an eyebrow at her. “Nina? She’s still in a coma.”

“Angel, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to hurt her. I wasn’t even in control of what I was doing.” Buffy felt tears form in her eyes in her guilt over what she had done to the innocent woman.

Angel sighed. “I know. I know what its like to not have control over your demon, like that, remember?”

Buffy nodded remembering what Spike had told her.

“Spike told me about your upcoming apocalypse. I thought I might stick around and lend a hand.” She said.

Angel studied her for a minute. “We could use the help.” Angel admitted, “But I have to ask, what your relationship with Spike is now.” He added.

“Angel…”Buffy began.

“I’m not asking you from a jealousy perspective. I’m asking as a friend.”

Buffy sighed. “Well it isn’t like we’ve really had time to talk about it or anything, but I think we’re going to try it and see if we can make things work this time.”

“Do you really think that’s a good idea?”

Buffy shot him a warning look. “Don’t get mad at me for asking. I’m sure I won’t be the only one to question this relationship.”

“I don’t have to defend it to you.” She said stubbornly.

“I’m not asking you to, but there is something you need to know. Spike has always fought relentlessly for anything he ever wanted. The thing is he never wants it after he has it.”

”What do you mean? He spent over a hundred years with Drusilla.”

“Yeah, but Dru never loved him. Not the way she did me and he knew that. So he kept trying harder and harder to win his place in her heart.” Angel paused. “Did he tell you about the Shanshu Prophecy?”

“Yeah, and he told me about your fight for a cup of soda.”

“Did he tell you what he told me during the fight? Did he tell you what he said about how he was ‘putting it to you’?”

Buffy didn’t say anything. She wasn’t happy with him for phrasing it like that, but she knew he hated Angel for taking Drusilla from so she understood that he said it just piss him off.

“You know he used to write poetry?” Angel asked her changing topics suddenly.

“What?”

”Spike when Dru first turned him, she had found him in a barn crying his eyes out because some society girl didn’t like his poetry.”

“Angel, what are you getting at?”

“I’m just don’t want to see you hurt. I don’t want Spike to convince you he’s head over heels in love when really he’s just using you to get back at me from Drusilla.”

“Its not like that.” Buffy insisted.

“Isn’t it? Are you sure?” Angel asked.

“Then why didn’t he come find you as soon as he turned human? Why was he trying to get up Harmony’s skirt instead? Why did he wait until I wanted to track you down to decide to find you?”

Buffy didn’t say anything she didn’t want to believe Angel, Spike had stood by her before not because of Angel, but because of how he felt about her.

“I appreciate your concern Angel, but like I said nothing has been decided yet. We’re going to take things slow.”

“The marks on your neck don’t look like you’ve been taking things slow.” Buffy stiffened. “Just promise you’ll be careful ok?”

“I will.” Buffy didn’t like all the doubts she was now feeling. “So is it ok if I stay and help out?”

”We can always use the help.” Angel smiled at her.

“Ok. Is there anything I can do to help with Nina?”

“Wes and Willow are working on something that may help. I think we have it covered. Why don’t you go get some rest?”

Buffy turned and left his office. Spike was waiting across the lobby, of Willow and Dawn there was no sign.

“Where’s everyone else?” She asked as she approached.

“Red went to get a couple books from Wes to look over at the hotel. Nibblet went with her.” Spike looked at her closely; he noticed she wasn’t meeting his eyes. “Everything ok?”

“Yeah, I’m good. Ready for a nap though.”

“Do you want to come back to my place?” Spike asked, suddenly fearful of what her answer would be.

“I think I should probably go with Dawn and Will, I’m sure they would rather I stayed with them.”

“Do you want me to come with you?” Spike persisted, he knew he sounded weak and hated himself for it.

“There’s really no need. I’m sure we’ll be fine.” She answered lightly.

“What’s this, then?” Spike snapped at her. “I thought you were going to give this a shot.”

“And that means I have to stay by your side at all times?” Buffy snapped in response.

“What did he say to you?” Spike growled.

“Who?”

“Angel, the great love of yours.” Spike snapped.

“Nothing. Nothing I believed anyhow.” Buffy said defensively. “Look this has nothing to do with Angel. I just don’t want to rush into anything; I have enough to worry about with new powers, Ethan Rayne on the loose and now a new apocalypse.”

“So what are you saying?” Spike asked.

Buffy turned and looked away from him, but he grabbed her arm and spun her around. “Answer me!!” He almost yelled.

“Calm down.” She tried to hush him. “I just think maybe we should wait until all this is over before we start something. Now isn’t the time to be distracted.”

“Its always going to be something isn’t? Some reason you can’t even commit to TRY. Fine Slayer, have it your way. I won’t bother you again with this.”

Buffy felt her heart break as he walked away. She knew she had hurt him. She had also hurt herself, but she knew this was the right thing to do. She had to worry about her duty, that was the most important thing.

She didn’t notice Dawn walking up to her. “What did you do to upset Spike now?” She asked her.

“Nothing.”

”Really? Why don’t I believe that?”

“Look Dawn, I can’t worry about personal relationships right now. Spike just has to understand that. We’re still going to be friends; I mean I’m planning on staying here and helping them out. I just…”

“You just don’t want to get hurt ever again so you are going to shut yourself off from the possibility of love.” Dawn told her.

“That’s not it.” Buffy sighed. “Where’s Will? I’m beyond ready to get out of here.”

“The blue chick, Illyria cornered her. She asked her if they could have ‘girl talk’.”

Buffy frowned. What could that creature possibly know about girl talk, she wondered.

“You ladies need a ride back to the hotel or are you going back to Spike’s, Buffy?”

Dawn answered for her. “Buffy’s back in denial land Xander, she’s coming back to the hotel with us.”

“Ok.” Xander answered, not wanting to get involved in a Summer’s Sibling fight. “I can give you guys a ride.”

Buffy looked in the direction Spike had gone off in. She wanted to chase after him more than anything, but she knew she had done the right thing. She pushed aside her longing; she would make him understand they were going to do much better as friends.

“Can we stop for food first Xander? I’m starving.” She said as they got in the elevator. She didn't need Spike. She didn't need anyone, she was going to be fine on her own.