Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to my beta LindaM!
"When sorrows come, they come not single spies, but in batallions." (William Shakespeare, Hamlet, IV:5)




“Hey Buff!” Xander called from somewhere in the Magic Box. Buffy closed the door behind her, cursing the stupid bell above the door.

“Hey Xand! Whatcha doin’?” Buffy smiled at her friend who was currently in front of one of the many bookshelves decorating the shop.

“Giles wants me to find a book for him. Aha! Found it!” Xander grabbed a small red book, pulling it out he managed to knock four others books onto the floor.

“Xander! Do be careful with the books. They aren’t to be thrown about,” Giles reprimanded.

“I didn’t… I wasn’t…” Xander stuttered, but noticed Giles wasn’t paying him any attention. “Yeah sure, okay,” he muttered under his breath.

“Buffy, I’m glad you’re here. I would like to have a word with you,” Giles looked at Buffy before removing his glasses and tucking them into his inner vest pocket.

“Sure Giles. What’s up?” She gave the man a small smile, hoping this wouldn’t take long.

“Follow me please?” Giles indicated the training room.

Buffy nodded and moved quietly into the back room. Once Giles had the door closed she spoke.

“Apocalypse? Who do I gotta kill this time?” She aimed for joking, but her eyes reflected otherwise. Giles didn’t notice.

“No, nothing like that. I don’t really know how to say this to you. Buffy, I think it is time for me to go,” Giles looked at her, hoping to gauge some sort of reaction.

“Go? Go where?” She looked confused, but also somewhat apprehensive.

“England. I’m going back to England Buffy. I will only be gone a month or so. But I need to see if you can do this on your own. See if you can be indepen--” Giles stopped.

Buffy’s face had gone completely blank. No emotion whatsoever. Her voice mirroring her expression.

“England. When are you leaving?” She was staring at his left shoulder.

“Tonight. In a few hours actually… Buffy are you alright?” He stepped closer to her, stopping when she took a step back.

“I’m fine,” still not looking him in the eye, she turned walked to the door that led to the back alley. Not even turning around she said, “I have to patrol.”

Giles stared at the now closed door before turning his gaze to the sunlight pouring through the window.




She had just walked in the door, it was after midnight and she had been out slaying for hours. That’s when she noticed it.

Blink. Blink. Blink.

Buffy stared at the little red light flashing on the answering machine.

Blink. Blink. Blink.

She headed for the fridge. She stopped two feet from her destination.

A note.

“Damn,” she muttered.

Hey Buffy!
Tara and I went out to study; we might be out all night. Don’t wait up! I should be back tomorrow sometime. Bye!
Willow.


She crumpled the note and tossed it in the trash. She yanked open the fridge door and removed her favorite yogurt. She had sat down at the counter and opened her yogurt when she realized she hadn’t gotten a spoon. She got a spoon and punched the button on the answering machine before settling herself down to eat her snack.

“Hello Miss. Summers. My name is Robert Brackenbury from Sunnydale Financial. I am calling in regards to your request for a loan. I am afraid that under the circumstances we cannot help you. The only collateral you have is your house and it was never fully leveraged. Your house has been losing equity over the years, commonplace for Sunnydale properties. Refinancing is not a possibility at this time, because you do not have an income, no job. I am sorry. Good luck Miss. Summers. Have a good evening.”

The machine clicked and the red light faded out. Buffy set her spoon down next to her untouched yogurt, walked over to the machine and tapped the ‘erase’ button. She stood, staring at the little box for a moment before turning and going up the stairs to her room.

Not bothering to remove her clothes or turn down the covers, she crawled into bed, lying down in the center. She tried to sleep, but at the moment her eyes refused to stop looking at a small spot of, something, on her ceiling. Her mind replaying the message from Mr. Robert Brackenbury. Over and over an over and over…




“Isn’t it exciting Buffy?” Willow clapped happily.

Willow and Buffy were walking around campus, with Willow animatedly talking about Xander’s engagement to Anya. They had told everyone at the Magic Box that morning.

“It’s great Will,” Buffy smiled at her friend.

“Two weeks!! That’s so soon! And you! You are the Maid of Honor!” Willow now had a skip in her step.

“And you are the Best Lady.”

“I know! I’m so excited! And New York! They are going to the Big Apple for their Honeymoon! I mean, of course Anya wanted to go to The Bahamas or something. Where did she say?”

“Cancun.”

“Right. But as soon as Xander pointed out the cost, she was so happy with New York. She’s so weird. And in TWO weeks!”

Willow was turning purple. *When was the last time she took a breath?*

“Willow?”

“Yeah?”

“Are you breathing?”

--Gasp--

“Wow, kinda forgot to breathe for a minute. I’m just so--”

“Excited?” Buffy smiled at her friend again.

“Yeah. Hey look, there’s my building. I’ll see you later Buffy!” Willow waved and skipped off to her next class.

“See ya,” Buffy whispered. She looked around for the building she was in search of. Once she found it, she slowly walked towards it, her head bowed, pondering what she was going to do.


The lady behind the front desk seemed nice enough. The woman had curly, short brown hair; silver-rimmed glasses; and was wearing a teal dress suit. The plaque on the desk read: Mrs. Adele Macy.

“Mrs. Macy?” Buffy kept her voice calm and collected.

“Yes? How may I help you today?” The woman gave her a bright smile.

“I-I-I came to drop my classes. You see, my mother just died and--” Buffy stopped when she noticed the woman’s face tighten. She turned away and pulled a drawer open, she flipped through some folders before she found what she was looking for.

“Fill these out and give them to me when you are finished,” her voice was icy. She thrust a stack of papers in Buffy’s face and abruptly turned and continued scribbling on the papers before her.

*Okay, maybe I spoke too soon, ‘nice’ isn’t the word for it. Ice Queen seems more fitting.*

Fifteen minutes later, Buffy finally finished filling out the papers that would make it possible for her to leave school.

“Mrs. Macy?” Buffy asked, only slightly hostile.

“Are you finished?” Mrs. Macy refused to even look at her.

“Yes.”

“Leave them on the desk. We will call you if we need any further information. I hope you have a nice day.”

*Like hell you do.*

Buffy dropped the papers on the desk and walked out the door, barely managing to not break it off its hinges.




“Now boarding, Flight 102 to New York.”

“That’s us! You ready Ahn?” Xander stood, picking up his carry-on.

“No. I still don’t see why we had to take a plane. Planes are just large metal deathtraps. I’m sure Willow could just zap up there,” Anya sat rigidly in her seat.

“Ahn, we talked about this. Willow can’t do that. Don’t worry! The plane will be fine. Come on,” Xander leaned over to help his wife up.

“If we die Xander Harris, I will haunt you for all of eternity,” Anya reluctantly stood and handed her carry-on over to Xander.

“Okay then!” Xander grinned nervously before turning to hug his friends good-bye.

“Bye Xander! Have fun! Send post-cards! Lots! Everyday!” Willow leapt on Xander, embracing him in a warm hug.

“You got it Will!”

“Bye Xand, have fun,” Buffy gently hugged her friend.

“Bye Buff. Don’t have too much fun while I’m gone!" Xander grinned.

“Don’t worry. I won’t,” Buffy stood back and looked away from the group. No one noticing how true her words sounded.

“Bye Xander. Have a wonderful time,” Tara smiled shyly.

Xander not wanting to scare the witch, patted her shoulder and nodded.

“Let’s go Anya!” Xander took Anya by her elbow and directed her to the line boarding the aircraft. Anya, for once, was completely silent.

The three women watched the plane leave. Two of them happy for their friends on board. The other was waiting to leave.




Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Review!