Angel glanced at the setting sun from his row of windows, safe from harmful rays by the carefully crafted glass. Today was one of those days that had just yielded too...much. Too much information and yet more questions than he knew what to do with. He had to find Connor before they did. He had to get him a soul. He had to fix this mess. Had it only been a week ago since Buffy had been here? Did she realize that her coming to him only made him more determined to find Connor? After all, it was obvious by Buffy's attitude that she was lost to him. Connor was all he had left. His only reason to try. His only reason to go on.

Still, Buffy had brought up some valid arguments. Was this the best place to try to save Connor? Certainly it had betrayed him in the past. Time and time again. Can evil be turned around to be used for good? Was it fair to the others to keep them here? He knew that they only stayed to suport him, because they trusted him, his friends. Could he protect them from being manipulated and..corrupted..by this place, and still save Connor in the mean time? Angel had to admit, he was beginning to have doubts. If he thought he had any other resource, any other way to fix this.

Because he was going to. Fix this. Save Connor once and for all. Connor would get a soul. Connor would shanshu. Angel certainly didn't need it anymore. No Buffy. No Cordy. No, he'd give this up, willingly, for his Connor. Once Connor was saved, then he could decide how to proceed. Then he could decide to leave or stay. He was here now. He might as well use this place to save Connor. This place owed him that much.

Once Connor had a soul and Dru was dust, than they could all leave..or stay. It would be up to them.

Also, the pressure would than be off Buffy. She could go on with her precious normal life, with her precious normal human.

So really he'd be helping her. After all, they both wanted Dru gone. They both wanted Conner leashed. So didn't they want the same things? By taking care of this, he'd be doing her a favor.

A few well placed calls later and Angel had tripled the force working on this case. 'This would work out well', he reasoned. 'For all of them.' Angel had to believe that.

The year would be drawing to a close soon. Holidays were coming. It would be 4th anniversary of Connor being turned. Angel felt grief at that remembrance. Connor should have been graduating from college right now. Perhaps a Dr, or a social worker. Someone who could get out there and help people. He should be with a girl, thinking about marriage..and a family...children. Angel's grandchildren. What he should not be is some dead thing slinking around back alleys, fucking the biggest mistake Angel had ever made.

Angel sighed and focused not on the past, but the future. He hoped he could have Connor back and ensouled by Christmas. It would be nice to spend the holiday together.
If not Christmas, than he'll have him back by New years the latest.

Yeah, the new year will be a new beginning. A brand new start..for all of them.