Few months later, New years eve.

Buffy couldn't believe that the year was over. The holidays had come and gone with out incidence, and with out any more news of Dru of Connor. This had it's good point and bad. Bad, because they still had no idea where the pair was, or what they were up to. Good, because the killing activity in the area around California hadn't significantly increase. Maybe they just decided to move on.

One could hope.

Still, she tried not to dwell. Everything would be fine she assured herself. It had to be. So she sat there on her comfy couch, in her comfy home, and ticked off the minutes till midnight.
The people most important. Her friends, her family, were here, surrounding her, and supporting her. They were sitting around laughing, having a good time, playing a board game of some sort. The children near by, fighting sleep, desperately trying to stay awake till midnight. Clem had even stopped by to visit the kids. William loved Clem, and as seeing that he was his father's only true friend, she was glad when she saw the two of the spending time together. He was also one hell of a babysitter.

But she missed Dawn. Dawn had her own friends now. Her own life on campus and at the council, and even though she technically still lived there, she was hardly ever home.
And she missed Giles. Council matters had taken him and Livia back to England, and even though the news had been quiet, she felt apprehensive about him not being here.

But Willow and Lillia were here, with Mithril. And Xander and Mila. Her family. They made it a point to spend as much time together as possible. Even having a mandated family dinner night, so that they never let the outside world's problems divide them.

"Mommy the ball's gonna be drop soon."

"Yes it is sweetness. Come here to mommy." she said, holding her arms open. In a flash, he was in her arms, and she held him close roughening his already tousled hair. His hair was always so unruly. Often curling and sticking up in odd places. She'd have to get it cut again soon.

"Here it comes now mommy, this years's gonna be the best ever. I'll get to go to all day school, and be with John Russel again."

'Yeah, your principle is just thrilled at the prospect of reuniting you two in the same classes again."Buffy chuckled.

"Yeah, we have a lot of fun." Her son smiled, his eyes gleamed mischievously.

"Too much fun. Let try to limit some of our fun this year.. huh ? Especially the joking, magically kind that make your teaches mad."

"Oh, okay, I'll try " And he looked up at her, his eyes so innocent.

"It's still gonna be the best year ever, right mommy?" he asked.

So many hopes. So many dreams she had for her son. They all quickly flashed though her mind as he asked this simple question. Briefly she thought of her mother. Is this what it was like for her? When she found out her daughter was the slayer? The constant worrying? The mind-numbing fear swarming around you, haunting you in the dark of the night?
What would this year bring for them? Could they escape the suspected doom?

Buffy looked at her sweet son and vowed that this year would go by as happily as all the years previous had gone. No, it be even better. She would purposely make it the best year ever...for him.

"Right baby boy." She answered her son. "It will be the best of the bestest ever. I love you sweetie, more than all the moons and the stars in the sky."

"Me too mommy, more than all of em."

They snuggled and they watch the TV together.
3.....,2.....1.....