Chapter 1. Life Anew.
Approx. 1 year after chosen.

The cab pulls up to a normal looking house in a quiet, normal looking California suburb. A young man hurriedly gets out, shoving some bills at the driver, and begins to approach his home, a slight spring in his step. 'Home.', he thinks, 'Finally'. The first semester of exams had been rough, but now the holidays were here. Time to blow off steam, party, spend time the folks. He runs a hand absently mindedly though his brownish hair . 'Yeh.'..he thinks, ' Home'. 'May have to get a haircut.' He smiles as he approaches his home. The house seems bleak, quiet, eerily so.

Much too quiet... Where are the lights? His blue eyes search the outside warily, taking note of the holiday bulbs, hung, yet abandoned into darkness. A nervous feeling begins to creep into the pit of his stomach. He had called ahead. They knew he'd be home today. Mom was thrilled that he'd managed to finishes classes and come home early. The old man was gonna break out the chess set for a rematch. He couldn't wait to avenge the beating he'd gotten over summer. Even his older brother and his wife were suppose to drop by. The baby was due any time now.

His apprehension grew as he cautiously approached the house. A light cool wind ripped though his coat, and he unconsciously gripped its collars closer around himself, shivering, but not just from the cold. He stopped momentarily to look into the sky. It was a strange night, cool for their region of the earth, and dark. The darkness of the sky seemed to stretch across the horizon like a deep bottomless pit. The few stars that managed to piece the blackness showed more like tears in the heavens. Cold glistening shimmers rather than bright comforts. The earth itself seemed to weep in the night

Strange evening, that's it. That's all. Making him get the willies, like a kid who'd seen too many horror movies. He was home after all. Home was safe. Home was good. He hurriedly withdrew the keys and rushed into the house.

"Mom? Dad?" he shouted as he ran inside.

The first sense that hit him was the overwhelming odor. One that reeked of blood and death.
His mouth fell open in horror as his eyes fell upon the carnage.

His parents lay sprawled, crumpled to the ground in lifeless heaps, throats ripped out. His little sisters lie near them, each similarly bloodied and mangled. His older brother lay not far away. His head, almost completely ripped off, only 1 thin fiber of skin was keeping it attached to the rest of his broken, bloodied body. But Kate, his brother's wife, her horror was the worst. Her eyes were open and wide with fright. Her throat been torn like the rest, but also her whole abdomen had been ripped apart. The still babe, a sickening shade of blue, was strangle with its own cord. The baby, a girl, lay silently at her mother's breast, arranged and posed like a baby doll.

'Massacre.', was all he could think. Bodies were mutilated. Blood was everywhere, coating everything. Furniture and mirrors were smashed. Everyone he loved. His whole family.. His world..His home..Gone..Destroyed.

Hot tears of grief and rage welled up in his eyes, and he could not stop the sickening feeling coursing through his stomach. He leaned over and vomited. Bile mixed with tears and he could not stop himself from shaking.

What could have caused such devastation? Why hadn't anyone heard and come to help? It looked like some beast from hell had risen up and ravaged his family. What could?....

Just then, a voice, slow and sweet like honey, floated in the air.

"And the little prince returns. Daddy was a very naughty. Daddy tried to hide you from me. From the world. Daddy should have know better. Sweet whispers in the night brought me to you, my dearest boy. Let me find you so that he, Daddy, would suffer. Yes, it is his fault. Took me own mummy from me long ago. Broke up our family with his accursed soul. Then he took my dark knight from me. Gave him a pretty jewel, he did, and whisked him away from the world. Him, and the other; The Slayer. They will pay. Now I will be the one as to do the taking. Take what they love most. What is theirs. I will make a new family and then they will weep and pay and pay and weep. We will see to that together." she sang manically while swaying toward him.

The young man just stared in absolute horror at the creature. A raven headed demon with gleaming yellow eyes. Clearly insane, she seemed to be the embodiment of evil. He had no idea what she was muttering. His mind frantically screamed for him to get out, get away. But he couldn't. He stood there transfixed, unable to move, to scream, as if stuck in a trance or a dream...'A dream!'. 'That it!', he thought. 'A horrible nightmare, and I'll wake up'.. 'Wake up soon. Wake up safe'..Home'.

"Yes.", The demon hissed as she approached. She stood before him and curled her figures into his hair. "It is time to awake, to live your life anew. Your new life, and your new family. Time to come home." she sang.

With that, her teeth sunk into the tender flesh of his neck.

As soon as his blood began to flow forth into the demon, flashes of memory began to permeate his mind. Memories of fear and pain, of anger and hate, of loneliness and despair.

Flashes of his real life. His real name. His real father. His real home.

In that moment, at the time of his death , and the beginning of his undead existence, the spell was broken... Connor remembered everything.

Miles away, in LA., Angel jumped awake. Fear was soon replaced by guilt, and anger. Tears erupted from him as he slowly realized that his nightmare was not just a nightmare. Connor, his Connor, who he had fought so hard for, given up his life, his soul to save, had just been turned.

Subsequently, light bulbs began to click on all around L. A. and then elsewhere in the world, as the spell was lifted. The memory of Connor came flooding back into the minds of those who knew him so well, and to some who had heard of him only in passing.

Hundred of miles away from L. A., in another land, in another quiet home; a young babe woke up with a start, and cried and cried, all the while his mother dreamed. Waking up the whole household, his mother ran frantically in, and grabbed her son. As she rocked him in her arms, the images from her sleep came back . She kissed her son and reassured him quietly. Her hazel eyes never leaving him as she stared worriedly down. He was crying so hard, his breaths were coming in ragged gasps. She took a quick glance up, to the two women and elder gentleman staring sleepily, but worriedly at her.

Her sister, her dearest friend and the man she'd come to love as a father, and grandfather to her beloved child, stood silently in the doorway. Looking...Waiting...Waiting for conformation that the littlest member of their family, was okay. She took her eyes off them and returned her attention to her son. He had calmed a little, his steel blue eyes looking up at her; red and swollen and expectant. Looking to her to make all his fears go away. She always melted at the site of him. Feelings of unbelievable unconditional love spread through her as she gazed at her beloved child, at his eyes, so like his father's.

"It's okay William", she whispered, "It's gonna be okay."