January 26, The night it began
L. A.


Nighttime, they sky outside was black, like the moors of England of old. Spike new this blackness, having reveled in it for over a hundred years, but now he felt weary. Exhaustion stirred up inside him and threatened to consume him. He was so tired of darkness, of the reminders of death. Being surrounded by it, trapped in it. His thoughts were slowly destroying him. 'Why couldn't I have been left as I was'. In oblivion. In the pit of nothingness. Least I wouldn't have known any better.

"I've been hanging around the great glooming gorilla, for too long. Startin to think like him. Just as long as I don't start dressing like 'em. Guess I'll be okay." He mummer, into the silence that surrounded him.

Spike hated this part of the day. It was late night. Almost all the staff had gone. No one to bother or bust around,cept for the imbecilic security people. Most of them consisted of moronic demon types, no brains, all bran, show pieces mainly. The other ones were more brainy species of human, more or less. They fiddled with their gadgets and monitors, relying more on their science and metaphysics. All of them seemed to believed that *no one* would dare enter the sacred hall of Wolfram and Hart.

'Ummph', If'in I was all solid again. I'd give 'em a go for it. Stupid daft gits, the lot of em'. Spike knew. He knew that these people had become too comfortable, their tasks. Since Angel and his gang of do-gooding dip-whit's took over, it had grow even worse. Spike had seen things, heard things. When your a ghost, with nary but time to roam around and just listen, you got a feel for things. This place was slippin, and there was dissension in the ranks. And someone was cuttin into it Who he didn't know But whoever they were, they were feeding and fanning the spark of insurrection until the embers began to glow and erupt. Small fragmented slivers were being carved on the surfaces. The wall of the dam were opening up to allow the waters of discontent to soak the earth underneath their very feet. Now it was wet and murky, and almost ready to suck the ground down and everyone unlucky enough to be standing there would be swallowed unto it. They were so sure of themselves in the front line, that they'd left their asses open in the rear. Now they were greased and ripe and ready for a good rodgering. They'll be whimpering and screaming 'who's you daddy' before they even realize who's puttin it to em'. Spike can only wonder if *daddy* Angel will realize how fucked he really was, or perhaps he's into it already. Willing and able, and going for that reach around. Spike can only chuckle at his own analogy.

Still, he'd hate to see that smart girl get it. Or that Gunn guy. He wasn't a bad sort. 'Damn soul' He's started to sound like a bloody poofer. He really had been around Angel too long. These people knew what they'd signed on for. They must. Surly Angel had. He knew evil, and this place reeked of it. Maybe the great moping mop had finally become so full of himself that he actually thought he could control these malignant bastards. If he did, he was a bigger fool that Spike thought. Or maybe Angelus was back, taken over, the great glum finally givin in to demon. Or maybe Angel just simply didn't give a shit anymore. Who knows. Spike could care less. Least he kept telling himself that. He had his own problems. The most predominant one now, (besides being a spook), was sheer, unadulterated BOREDOM.
.
"What I wouldn't give for a spot of violence," he mused, Shake these lackeys up a bit".
Spike should remember to be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Suddenly blackness flooded the building, as the lights harshly cut out. Spike vampiric eyes adjusted immediately,as he heard running and shouting permeating the atmosphere. None of the alarms or back up gadgets had been initiated. The *brains* of the operation were at a loss. Too long had they sat with one hand up their asses, and the other fondling the night away on their cocks. Now they were panicking and looking to each other for help. 'An inside job', Spike was highly amused now. At least this night promised a bit of fun.

Spike gleefully watch the scrambling and confusion that laid before him. But other than the racket the guards were making it seemed to be strangely quiet. He skulked around cautiously, apprehension getting the better of him. Silently, he wondered what they were after. Course he was entertained by watching the chaos play out in the halls. Guards running around, directionless, clueless, like chickens with their heads cut off. It was bloody glorious.. Within moments, the main hall begin to fill with a cloudy mist. Every occupant of the room began to convulse and fall violently to the ground. 'Huh', Spike thought. "Lucky me. All spookily and therefore ill exposed", he muttered.

"Yes. Today is your lucky day" a voice called.

Spike swung around upon hearing the voice, searching for its source.

The women before him was short, barely five feet tall. Pretty and slim, her hair was red, like blood. Her green eyes flickered toward black and gleamed menacingly at him.

Spike looked at her and chucked. He was the Big Bad. A master vampire. He'd faced beast, monsters from hell itself. And even worse. A brashed off slayer on a pms. Did this little girl think she could intimidate Him?

"Nice trick luv" He smirked, "I've always been one to appreciate an entrance. If you want I could show you around." "Give ya a guided tour so to speak."

"I'm not your love. I am Vashna the Valiant, keeper of the way." she spoke proudly.

Spike stifled a laugh. The girl was too much, really. "Right. Sorry, never heard of you."

Her eyes loomed to black, She spoke angrily, barely controlling her rage."You have my name now, and soon it will be on the lips of all. All will bow at my feet.. All will weep..."

"Take it down a notch Sabrina. I've heard the spiel before. And from bigger badder bloke's than you sweetheart."

"You will.. Live... to regret those words." She hissed.

"Not bloody likely" he chuckled, "Already dead, Twice over in fact. So I'm guessing the tour is off. So I'll just sit by here, watch the show. "

"Well now," he clasped his hands, rubbing them together, still highly amused, "What IS for the main event."

"Funny you should ask," Now it was Vashna's turn to smile. What was in her hand would have been enough to send bolts of fear though Spike's cold dead heart. Provided he still had his body that is.

She held up an amulet... The amulet. The one the great glooming idiot was suppose to have safely tucked away. Leave it to Angel to bollix the job..Again.

These were the thoughts swirling around in Spikes head as the witch muttered a few incantation and waved a quick stroke of her hand.
"Bloody hell," were the last words Spike spoke before he vanished in a ball of glowing blue light; into the amulet.

Vashna, quietly secured the amulet on her person with a smile. She made a small salute the fallen comrades that littered these gallant halls and turned and left the building, meeting no more resistance along the way.

She was met out front by a great black van, no windows on the side, and blackened out front windshields.

The side door flew open and she rushed in.

Once seated inside, she ignored the two vampires in the back, and concentrated on the drivers. "Take off now. The others will get word and come soon enough."

With that, the minions grunted, and sped off away from the building

"Did you get it. Do you have him. My love. My knight?" The dark vampire looked at her with insane excitement.. The younger one simply stared He knew the witch had succeeded. He could smell it. She stank of smugness. Jealousy began to over take him. Connor didn't want to have to compete for his *mother's* affections. Especially not with his father's bastard grandchilde.

The witch triumphantly held the amulet up, "Behold" she said dramatically, "The source of our salvation. Restorer of the way"

"He's stuck in a girl's necklace?" Connor laughed.

"Watch your mouth little boy. This is the key to the great Restoration."

"Yeah Yeah, I care. I should have went in. I haven't killed anything all day", he grumped.

Vashna shot the young vampire an evil look, but Dru put her hand up, indicating that she would handle her childe.

"Shh My precious boy." Drusilla cooed., "Soon as we get settled. We will find you something nice and tasty."

"But for now, we need to go where eyes will not follow. Keep my boys safe. Both you and your sweet brother." Her eyes drifted down to her lap. On it, rested the head of a very unconscious, very small, toe headed boy.

The van continued to speed down the highway, away from L. A. Away from California.