The Summer's home had become, once again, command central. Slayers filtered in and out.
Humans, witches, demons of all walks of life had been there. Friends, colleague, allies all rallied around the house, vowing revenge on the beasts who took one of their own. All swearing that William would be found alive, and unharmed.

'Unharmed' How could a little boy ever survive being taken from his mother, and come back unharmed.

Willow couldn't fathom it. Even if Will came back this minute, they were all irrevocably harmed. Buffy was so hysterical. They had to sedate her. Dawn was with her now, right by her side. Filled with guilt and grief at what happened, she sat by her sister, ready to offer comfort and cry apologies to her when she woke. Mila was wracked with her own guilt over, in her mind, not being able to protect William. Xander clutched at his fiance for dear life; trying to comfort her, while trying to tether his own grief of losing the boy he loved and watching his family become unglued. Mithril refused to speak, and was in a state of shock since she'd been found. Lillia was beside herself with fear for her daughter, and the family that she loved. And Giles..

They had called Giles in England. He and Livia were catching the next flight. Willow heard more of Ripper in Giles that she had ever heard before.

As Willow got off the phone with Giles she took a look at the multitude of faces, friends, family, volunteers, coming to offer aid. Even in the bleakness of the hour the show of love had warmed her heart. So much devotion and concern. So many lives touched. So much impact in the world. All over one little boy.

But hadn't it always been this way?

They were all so lost after Sunnydale. Xander was so racked with grief. He stayed near California and quickly drank himself into a hole. Willow and Giles got so wrapped up in trying to establish some sort of order that they didn't even realize that Buffy had been slipping away from the world, and trying to escape from it permanently. Dawn was so marred with the multiple loss she had accumulated in her short life that she could offer comfort to no one. They were lost. Their family almost gone.

It was only when they found out that there was a sweet child about to come into the world that they had come together again..as family.
Even Xander had been moved enough to take the first flight to England to support Buffy. He had stayed all throughout the pregnancy, and months after little William was born. He left, albeit reluctantly, when he realized he needed to make something of his own.

Willow shuddered to think of where there lives would have led, or goddess forbid, would lead, without that little boy.

This one little boy, changed all their lives. His birth was a rebirth for all of them. He was the reason they all began to try again. He was the reason they all began to..live again.
She just hoped that those who took him, could be as warmed by him as the faces of those around her.