Spike wasn't sure what was happening to him. The last thing he remembered was that little red bitch holding up the amulet. It all went blank after that. He wondered how much time had gone by before he woke up in this field of grass. The sun shinning merrily down upon him. After a moment of sheer panic, he realized he was; A: Not on fire, and B: Not turning to dust.

His relief was short lived when he discovered that he was apparently completely and utterly alone, with no clue as to where he was. He walk along with hesitant steps until he felt a presence a short ways up. Following his instinct, he encountered a path that concluded a little ways ahead. There stood a beautiful windowed arboretum, covered with the finest greenery. Flowering trees and shrubs adorned the landscape and Spike briefly wondered if he had gone to heaven. He slowly walked though the doors, but his pace quickened when she heard her singing.

"Early one morning"
"Just as the sun was rising"

He found her not far away. She look lovely. Pure and beautiful and strong as she had been when he was a lad. No evidence of sickness..or evil, marring her stunning presence. She was smiling and smoothing back the hair of a small boy, lying on a bed of all white. For a brief moment, Spike almost thought the boy was himself.

She must have sensed him for she turned around and smiled brightly, looking into this eyes as she spoke, "William, wherever have you been? I've been waiting forever it seemed." She stood and held her arms out to welcome him.

Spike hesitated only a moment longer before running into her embrace,"Mum. Oh Mum. I'm sorry. I'm so soo sorry".

"Hush now my sweet boy. Its all right." His mother said, hugging him tight and soothing him, "Lord I was wondering how much longer you were to keep me waiting." She said smiling.

"'M sorry Mum. I got...Lost..for a while." He said still holding her, but flicking his eyes to the side.

"Oh I should say so William, " She broke off the embrace and looked at him sternly. The kind of look she gave him was he was a boy and had been naughty. The look she gave when she was..annoyed with him.

Spike turned away from her. Guilt welled up in him and sobs erupted, "I'm sorry Mum. I.. didn't.."

"What William? Know? Mean to? Oh William, it would be so easy for you to say and for me to try to believe it was all the demon. But We both know better don't we?" She asked, looking at the form of her son now crying earnestly. She came to him and caressed his check, her face softening, "We think therefor we are William. Everything that has consciousness, has choices, even demons. Yes, sometimes it is hard to chose one way. When everything inside of you is trying to turn you the other. But it can be done. And you did it William. You choose the right path. Took you long enough, but you did. And I am so proud of you my son!." She said smiling with tears in her eyes.

Spike couldn't believe his ears. He must be dreaming, but if he was he never wanted to awake. A part of him that had been locked up for over 120 years broke and he wept uncontrollably with both relief and grief. Relief that his Mum loved him and not only forgave him, but was finally proud of him. And the grief, that was for the loss of the mortal once called Anne, and for the one once called William.

Anne let him calm down and gave him a last reassuring hug before she retook her seat and waited.

Spike was a bit confused when she broke away from him and went back to the boy like nothing out of the ordinary had happened. He went to his knees beside her. He looked from her to the boy, back to her and asked "Mum? The boy? Who...Who is he?"

"Why William he's...My charge." She changed the last words quickly but Spike too stunned to noticed. "Things are a little...overwhelming for him right now." She said as she looked fondly at the boy, stroking his face lovingly, "So he's to stay with me for a little while, whilst his mind and body heals."

"What happen to him, Mum? Where's he belong?" Where.."

"Shh," Anne replied to her son, her fingers pressed to his lips, " No need for all that now. He needs to rest. You both do. Too soon you'll be on your way." She said a little sullenly.

"On my way," Spike repeated, confused, "I'm not going anywhere. 'M' stayin here. With you. Is' where I belong."

"Oh William", Anne said. She placed her hands on the sides of his cheeks and smiled kindly into his eyes. "I'm sorry sweetheart, but you cannot stay. It's not your time. You have to go back. You still have a job to do."

"Not my Time!?!! Job to do!!?" Spike was angry now. Ripping himself from his mother's arms, he sprung up and began pacing back and forth. His arms were waving frantically as he ranted at her. "I'm sorry Mum, but have you lost your bleeding mind women!? Over a 120 years Mum!! I've been wanderin round waiting. I've died twice over! The last one in a big firery blaze while saving the word! So excuse me while I say sod to anymore *jobs*! I'm staying here for Christ's sake!!"

His mother stiffened, standing straight up, she moved to hold him to still. Turning him around in her arms, she stared straight into his eyes, giving him a look he hadn't seen since he was a small lad. He was face to face with his Mum's resolve face.
"Now you listen to me William Thomas Henry. First, you shall not take thy lord name in vain. You straighten up and don't roll your eyes at me young man. Second, you do have more work to do. You see that boy there?" Spike's eyes followed her as she pointed back to the small blond on the little white bed. "He needs protection and love. To be nurtured and cared for. He needs to go home, and it is your responsibility to get him there!"

"Why me Mum? I..I don't understand. I.." Spike fell to his knees and buried his face in his mother's skirts, sobbing., "I can't help him Mum. I can't even help myself. I'm lost is what I am..Lost and alone and.. and I need..I need to rest." he sobbed.

"Oh My poor William," she sighed, hugging him to her middle, "You were never alone. I was always there for you sweetheart. Even in the times when you didn't really want to heed me." She ruffled his hair and smiled down at him, feeling him relax a little. "William, this all isn't as difficult as it seems. Your not alone. You both have each other. And you have home. You just need to find it for the two of you.," Anne continued to soothed her son's hair as she spoke to him.

Spike had calmed a little, but his voice still cracked as he spoke, "There is no way home for me Mum. Have none. There' s no way...

"William, you've always know where to find home." Anne said

Spike looked up from her waist curiously.

"William, Home is where the heart is. Just follow your heart and you'll find your way. I'ts led you this far."

"Not sure that's the best way to go there Mum. Done lot of stupid thing cause of this heart."

His mother lips thinned as she frowned at him, "Most of those times. Your heart was not the..organ in charge now was it?" She saw Spike blush and look away. She held him close again and spoke to him, "William your heart led you the right way in all the times it really mattered. Look how far you've come. Don't be afraid to go a little further sweetheart. Your journey is more than half over. Don't be afraid to see it through to the end."
"Now" She patted him on the shoulders indicating he should stand, "Our time grows short. Remember that you are a good man.And to follow your heart. It will never lead you wrong."

Spike turned from his mother with tears in his eyes. "Mum, I'm not sure I can do what you asked. Mum? " He spun around. Only to come face to face with a giant flaming chasm. The flames rising up out of the blackened pit to scorch Spike's face. He tried to scream, but fond that his voice had left him. He tried to step back, only to tumble and fall into the firery hell below.