Chapter 3: Let him eat cake.
A few months later, miles away from L. A.

A small boy's blue eyes grew wide with awe as the cake appeared before him. Candles lighting 5 small candles glowed brightly on his birthday cake. 4 four his age, one for good luck. He looked down greedily at the cake. He'd been waiting all day and he was not good at waiting. Trying to do the best he could, he shifted nervously in his seat, bouncing up and down with raging energy; waiting for the signing to stop so he could blow out his candles. Knowing that the sooner he blew out the candles, the sooner he got to devour the sweet delicious cake, and then the sooner he could open the ever growing mound of presents that were stacked in the corner . He glanced excitedly at his gifts, then back at his candles and tried harder to be patient. He had been impatient already today and made his mommy angry with him. He hates to make mommy angry with him, but sometimes he just could not help himself.

He had snuck into the kitchen while all the adults were busy, and had peered at his cake. The creamy frosting and the sugary blue roses called to him. Plus little plastic knights on little horses adorned the cake. It looked like a scene out of the story books that he and his uncle read together. He loved those books, and could even read some of it himself now. He often had wild dreams of fighting monsters and villain, of heroes and glory, like in the movies he and his other uncle often watch together.

Temptation got the better of him. He just had to have some, and have some now. So he reached out with his left fist and grabbed a figure off the cake with a handful of frosting. He has just stuffed the whole handful into his mouth when he heard her yelling.
"William Giles Xander Summers. What did I tell you about that cake!"

Oh ooh, Caught. His mommy was there, glaring down at him with her most maddest mad face on. He didn't know why she was so upset. Wasn't it his cake anyway? But with arm folded behind him, William gave his best, most sweet innocent smile to his mommy. "Oops, I forget?"

"Forget, I mean.. forgot? I'll give you forgot!" she cried, as stared down at him. She grabbed the nearest towel, and scrubbed the remnants of cake and frosting off his small hands and face, trying to keep her look stern. Almost instantly, she began to soften at the sight of her small son. He was looking up at her, flashing his best *mommy don't be made at me ..please* smile, with just a small touch of guilt and fear mixed in. She continued to try and glare, but found that she couldn't stop a slow smile from creeping onto her face. He immediately returned her smile with his trade marked crooked grin, the one he flashed when he knew he was going to get away with something. He knew, as well as she, that she just could not stay made at him.

She continued to glare while finishing up her cleaning. Then she held her face firm as she stared at him. Folding her arms, and putting on her best *mommy's is NOT pleased mask*, she spoke "Outside, now, or I'll... I'll.. I'll give all those presents to some poor demon child somewhere."

That was enough. His eyes grew wide with horror, and he raced out of the kitchen to protect his gifts.

His mom could only smile, and shake her head.

But now, now, the moment was here. The singing finally subsided. He looked at his candles and gave them a blow. All 5 went out immediately. Cries of congratulation filled the crowd. He looked at the faces of his family, his mother, his aunts and uncles, and friends all cheering for him. He was almost ready to pounce on his gifts when he was interrupted by a voice.

"Hold on Will, let me take a picture." his aunt Dawn called.

He scooted closer to the girl next to him, his best friend in the whole world, Mithril. He grabbed her around the shoulder and smiled though a round of pictures. That wicked crooked grin darted again across his face as he grasped the hand of the 5 year old girl . As soon as their hands were joined, he felt energy pass between them, and magic's that he was just too young to understand. He passed his hand over the top of the cake. With a little effort, he let the magic flow though Mithril and himself, and then William Summers, relight his birthday candles.

Buffy stared in a mixture of awe and horror as she saw the candles being relit. Of course, he didn't just relight them. 'No.', she thought. 'That wasn't her son's style.' He managed to produced a flame that shot a half foot into the air. "William!", she shouted as she ran to her son. Dawn stood there with a similar mixture of surprise and fear mirrored on her face. Willow came running out of the kitchen upon hearing the commotion. Giles and Xander were already on the him, breaking his contact with Mithril. They search William frantically until they found the item on his person that they all now knew he had. It took them little time to find that he had, once again, found where his mother had hidden his focusing crystals.

She reached her son just as the flames subsided. "William." she said exasperated.

William and Mithril just looked up at her, 4 blue eyes wide and grinning .
"Oops.".. was all her son had to say.