Spike nuzzled and whispered endearments as he cuddled up to Drusilla, allowing her to lead him through the maze of corridors, a bag of things he'd need..as a traveling human, slung on his shoulder

Drusilla giggled and leaned into him, soaking up his love and devotion until she froze. Spike looked up at her with concern and saw her standing in front of a doorway.

"Curious? All of the little ones have gone away." Spike figured she meant the minions and rushed to soothed her.

"Forget them pet. I's just you and me now."

"And baby makes three!" She giggled. Spike noticed, and not for the first time, that she seemed to have completely forgotten about Connor.

"C'mon pet," He encourage, "Show Daddy what's behind door number one."

"Hmm, "She laughed psychotically and held a finger to her lip, indication quiet. She pushed the door open and entered the chamber.

A wretched odor of charred flesh and blood, and overall sickness hit Spike as the air in the chamber wafted out in to the hall. Even with his somewhat de-enhanced senses, Spike had to cover his nose, as his eyes watered. He watched Drusilla walk into the room as if nothing was amiss.

"Tsk, Connor has not finished cleaning him for today." she grabbed a can or aerisol air freshener and began spraying over the length of the boy.

Spike moved to still her hand, he gently grabbed to can and set it aside. He then turned and froze.


Chapter 43: Whispered goodbyes.

Now, Spike had seen a lot in his long un-life. He had visit unspeakable horror on many a human, some of them children. But the site before him stung at him like nothing ever had before. His heart constricted painfully in his chest and he felt bile rising in his throat at the imagine that lied before him.

It was the boy. The one from the dream. That much he was certain. But there was no bright field for this boy. No comfortable bed of soothing white. The boy lay on a filthy mattress thrown carelessly on the floor. There was a bucket of dirty water and some soap lying nearby, but from the look, and smell of it; it had been quite a while since this child had had a good washing.

Spike heart ached in a way he'd never known as his eyes traveled over the boy. His hair was matted, covered with bits of dirt and blood. He was a sickly shade of pale, which accented the dark lines under his eyes and bruises on his face and neck. A couple of the bruises had finger like shapes and Spike guessed that Drusilla had probably resorted to trying to beat him awake. His body was hidden buy a thin sheet, but Spike could see that he was painfully thin and that his right arm hung down at an odd angle. Spike pushed back his emotions and bent down to touch the child. He placed two fingers on the side of the child's neck and was relieved to feel a steady, albeit weak pulse.

He closed his eyes, willing the tears forming away.

"Such a shame" He heard her say, "He really was a very pretty boy. Will he be pretty again Spike? Can you make our boy pretty again.?"

Spike composed himself and rose to his feet. "Not gonna make promises pet" He admitted, "First we need to get out of here. Does he have..You have any..things..of his?"

Drusilla pointed to a crate at the corner of the room. Spike grabbed one of the fancy pillow cases on off the bed, ignoring Drusilla's whimper of protest.

In the crate, he found some clothes and shoes and...diapers? He gave a look back at Dru, than to the boy, than Dru again and raised his eyebrow.

"He makes messes in his sleep." she pouted. "Connor insisted on those. "She pointed, wrinkling her nose. "Connor insisted it necessary. I wanted simply to plug the orifice so nothing would come out, but Connor wouldn't let me. He is more like his father than I had thought, always spoiling my fun he is."

Spike just nodded, and continued his task of packing. Briefly he wondered as he looked at the rapidly filling pillowcase, why she hadn't placed the boy in the bed. 'She probably didn't want to ruin the linens' he mused.

When he came to the last item in crate, a small red baseball cap, he stilled again and simply stared at it cradled in his hand.

For some reason, this tiny item made Spike heart constrict again. He chocked back a couple of tears as stood.

"Drusilla. We need cash, or jewels. Stuff we can sell. What you got lying around pet?"

Drusilla stood before him. Her eyes vacant. "The witch Spike" she whispered. "She is fighting. Fighting not to leave the world. She's been drawn and quartered, yet fights to remain still. C..Connor."

Spike moved to embrace her and nuzzled her ear. "Forget them pet. Leave them to each other. There is just you and me..and the boy. Let's go and finish packing pet. Let's leave this place."

Drusilla broke from her vision, nodded and smiled. She pointed to a dresser on the far wall. Spike found some money and jewelry and quickly added them to his sack. He than grabbed another pillow case and threw in some of Drusilla's clothes.

Looking around the room, he circled it and grabbed anything useful he could come up with. Satisfied that he had cleaned the place out, he went to the door and listened. He felt an odd tingle in his spine and strangely he just..knew, that there were still some vampires alive and kicking in the hall. And one of them was close...very close.

"Drusilla, any of those trinkets, " Spike pointed to the set of dolls stacked against the dresser, "you want to accompany us, you better grab them now."

Drusilla rushed to her *babies*, and began to sooth their hair, whispering to them about the little trip they'd be going on.

She never even noticed when Spike snuck up behind her, and gagged her with a cloth filled with some ether he had found earlier.

She struggled for a moment, and Spike surprisingly held his own. Soon her movements ceased as she slumped unconscious in Spike's arms.

Spike gently lowered her to the ground. "Sorry pet, "he mummer as he kissed her forehead, "But it's time for me to be my own man. Connor will take right good care of you. He's even younger and stupider than I was, if that's possible." Spike rose to his feet and took one last look at his *goddess*.

"Goodbye my Love", he whispered, and just then as he spoke the word love, he meant it.


Chapter 44: Determined:

Spike wasted little more time. He found some rope and bound the pillow cased together with his own bag and tied them to his waste, leaving his hands free to gently scoop up the boy. Spike tried to stay as emotionless as possible as he held the broken child in his arms. For a split second, a remnant of the old Spike spoke to him.

'Leave the child. He'll be nothing but trouble Slow you down he will.. Best to forget him. Leave him behind. Leave him behind' The voice urged.

"No!" Spike shouted to, seemingly, himself. "I've a job to do." He said, determined.
So with the boy lying limply in his arms, he took a deep breath and walk out into the hall.