Chapter 6 : All tucked away.

Hours passed by, as they do. Too soon the party was over.

Xander and Mila had left for home, as did Willow, Lillia and Mithril, with Livia in tow.

Giles had stayed, to spend some quality time with his beloved godson. He was now in the process of giving William his bath, leaving Buffy a moment to try to sort through the new gifts in his room.

William's room had taken on a definite *theme* over the last year or two. It was so different from the teddy bear motif that she, Dawn and Willow had went for in England.

The room was a dark blue on 3 of the walls. Moons and stars and planets were depicted throughout. The fourth wall was a lighter blue, adorned with clouds and a giant smiling sun. Buffy and Dawn had gone with the *heavens* design on account of the way her son would just sit and stare up, pondering what went on in the sky's above.

An abundance of toys lay around the room. Not the general *fluffy bunny* type either. There were some games, and planes and racing cars. And of course..tons of trains..(Wills had a thing for trains).

Most of the toys, however, tended toward the supernatural in nature. Any and every type of monster or demon or hero that was ever made into some type of toy, could be found here in Wills room. Everyone had begun to refer to it as the *Addams family toy cellar*.

Buffy smiled. She had to admit, it was looking like a storeroom at a sci fie convention... Or Andrew's place. She wasn't sure which was worse

She continued to clean until she heard Giles begin to retreat from the bathroom with his charge. She quickly finished up, and with a satisfied look, decided to go downstairs as to give Giles more time alone with his godson.

By the time she headed back upstairs. William was dressed in his favorite blue moon and stars pajamas, and all tucked into his moon and stars blue comforter and sheets . Giles was now reading him one of his favorite bedtime stories. Stories full of heroes and villains. Where the good guys always win, eventually, beating back the bad to live out their days together in peace and harmony, and with love.

Her son was too young to know better.

Her son loved the stories. He was never afraid of the monsters contained there in, or in the any of the movies Xander took him to. He was never afraid of the fighting, of the scenes of bloodshed that would plague other children's nightmare's for weeks. She had seen him laugh widely as brave rangers lopped off the heads of trolls and orcs and other villains. He reveled in the violence, it was part of his darker side, a side she knew all too well. One that she saw in him when he got angry, and could not quite control his temper. In those times, he would throw tantrums, break things, using magic if he could. She tried not to get angry at him in. She simply calmed him as best she could. Telling him she loved him, and urging him to talk about why he was angry, or what bad things he had done. Always reassuring him that she would love him no matter what and that together they could get through anything.

"Read the part where they tear the king troll's head off uncle Giles. Read that again."William said.

"Perhaps we should focused less on the... heads off.. and more on the connotation the author is trying to express.", Giles noted.


"C..contitrusion?" William asked, scrunching up his little face in confusion.

"Sorry." Giles muttered, it was sometimes hard to remember that this boy, was indeed, only just four.
"It means nuance, interpretation." Giles explained.

Giles was met with a blank stare.

"Okay, lets try again." Giles said as he removed his glasses, giving them a good rub, "The *meaning* William. Add connotation and nuance to your words for today. They both are ways to say Meaning."

"So why don't they just say meaning?", ...and the heads off is the best part anyways. " The boy said innocently.
.
Giles shook his head in frustration.. "And the beast that is your mother in you rears it ugly head." He murmured.
"William, son, your missing the point of the story. The meaning of it is.."

I know the story uncle Giles." William said while rolling his eyes in eyes in the patented Summer's way, "Good warrior people go find bad monsters, and rip their heads off, like warriors are suppose to do."

He smiled sleepily up at his uncle, very satisfied with his *meaning*.

"Good lord," Giles mumbled quietly "Now I believe he truly is channeling his...."

"His.." Buffy said walking into her son's room, startling Giles.

"Oh, Buffy," Giles jumped up," I didn't realize you were here."

"His what?" William yawned.

"Nothing sweetie." Buffy said, smiling down at her little boy, "Well , someone looks like he's all ready for sleepies"


"Nope." Will replied stubbornly, and yawned again.

"Yes, I think so sweetie." Buffy said.

"Quite right, off to bed you go. Don't forget your words" Giles added.

"For today, nuance. and connotatism. Big long boring words for meaning." William giggled
.
Giles stared at him, looking indignant for a moment. He glanced at Buffy who was bubbling with a tightly restrained laughter. He mealy sighed, smiled a little and shook his head. He then bent down to kiss his godson goodnight.

William leaned up and put his arm around Giles' neck "I love you uncle Giles. I'm glad you and aunt Livia are here."


Giles reach his arms around and hugged the boy, this complete joy of a boy in his mind. He took a moment to look at him, his face, his eyes. For a split second the boy's baby blue eyes appeared hauntingly familiar, but Giles whisked the image away and grabbed his godson in a tighter embrace "I love you too William, and I'm glad I'm here too, very glad."
Giles than kissed William again and smoothed his blond hair before heading down the stairs.

"Hey, 4 year old boy", Buffy said, as she sat by her son, tucking him in, and rubbing her hands across his cheek, feeling his smooth baby skin "Did my sweet baby boy have a good birthday?"

"Yep, it was the bestest of the bestest. I gotta lotta lotta stuff." His eyes gleamed, his face wide with a huge reminiscent grin.

"That's great sweetie.", Buffy smiled, not being able to stop herself at being amused by her's sons.. Well. Greed...She cuddled him.

"Hey gotta talk to ya bout something."

"Hmm."said a very sleepy William rubbing his eyes.

"Mommy's gotta go out of town tomorrow. Just for a little while"

"Are we going on Holiday?" William said, suddenly wide eyed and very much awake.

'Holiday,' Buffy thought. Five minutes with Giles, and Wills slips into this strange British/American lingo that always disturbs her just a little.
"No, not us sweetie. Me..Mommy has to go alone." she explained.

He looked thoughtful for a minute, "No,.. I don't want that."

'Here we go' Buffy thought, 'Be patient, and avoid a tantrum right before bed' "I know, maybe you don't sweetie, but remember I told you. You can't always get you own way."

"Why not? I don't want you to go." He said with mixture of annoyance and anger in his voice and a big pout appearing on his face. God, he looked adorable.

"Because, I'm the Mom, and your the kid, and sometimes.. I gotta tell ya I'm doing something, and that...That's... it." Buffy said trying to sound firm.

"Hgrrrh humph," her son growled in his throat, and continued the pout.

"Listen." Buffy began, hugging her son, "Tomorrow, you'll get to spend all day with uncle Giles. He'll take you to the museum, and the book store, the library, you know, all those stuffy places you like to go, but Mommy never goes to.."

William fought hard, unsuccessfully, to hide a grin under his pout and a slight laugh escaped from him.

"So." she continued, "While your off getting all stuffy with your uncle. I'll just zip away for a little bit, and be back before you know it. Just promise mommy that if uncle Giles tried to buy you anything in tweed that you'll run. Run quickly."

"Tweed?" he asked while scrunching up his pouty face.

Buffy laughed "Never mind baby. Point is, you'll be having so much fun, you won't even miss me while I'm away."

"I always miss you when your away." He said quietly while pouting further, sadness creeping into his eyes.

He could be so sweat. It broke her heart. "I know you do baby, but you'll be having so much fun. You won't have time to miss me." She cuddled and caressed him. Reassuring him until she felt him begin to ease and relax, some of the sadness lifting from his features.

"I love you sweetie. So much.. You know how much I love you?"

"More than all the moon and the stars in the sky?" He asked.

"Yeah baby, more than every one.", she confirmed.

"I love you too Mommy" He said.

And there mother and son sat, holding each other, until he fell quietly asleep.