Thank you to Spikeskat for being my beta Goddess *worships at her feet*

The bed was gone.

15

   Spike could only stare at the spot where his slayer was supposed to be, his entire being freezing up with a profound sense of agony at the discovery of her absence.

"They took her," Spike heard a soft, feminine voice call out in the silence and his head snapped towards the girl huddled in the corner. His agony became slightly easier to bear as his demon reacted to the cold finality of her words – filling his body with rage and forcing out all other emotions. Like despair.

Christine finally got to see his true monster revealed, watching with detached fascination as the sapphire blue of the man's tortured gaze faded into the furious amber of his demon.

Even drugged of his strength and suffering the aftereffects of being tazed, this vampire was still lethal and dangerous, and Christine came to a decision.

Her country had, after all, served her up to him, practically on the proverbial silver platter.

He wouldn't hear her plead, though. When she had enlisted, her life was something she had willingly signed over for the sake of serving her country. Maybe it made her an idiot, but growing up without the benefit of a family had skewed her outlook on certain things.

She would die like the soldier she wanted to be. Without fear or reservation.

Christine wondered how long he was going to stare at her, finding this interlude almost surreal, and she took a moment to study the furious face in front of her. She had expected his glowing eyes to be merely fathomless windows of evil. Yet even with the ridges and fangs, easily identifiable were emotions that Christine easily recognized as being very human in nature.

She wasn’t quite sure how long she sat and watched the wheels practically burning rubber in his head as he decided on the next course of plan, but she’d settled into a calm tranquility that was at such odds with her current situation.

When he slowly pushed himself to his feet and prowled in her direction, Christine stuck out her chin defiantly and refused to look away.

"I'm not going to fight you," she announced firmly, confused momentarily by the look of pure irritation he threw her way.

Spike wasted no time in wrapping his fingers around her biceps and hauling her up to her feet, the female soldier offering no resistance to his man-handling.

When Christine was effectively pinned against the wall, a cruel smile distorted Spike's lips. "Thanks pet, 'preciate that an' all. 'Specially since I'm not quite up to snuff 'ere," he mocked, his hand fisting a handful of her short brown hair and jerked her head to the side. "Figure you can 'elp me with that little problem."

Christine may have decided to not fight back, but found herself scared to death despite her best intentions and questioned her very sanity. She was allowing this... why?

Spike could here the soldier bint's heart pounding away and the scent of her fear drowned out the lingering scent of Buffy's.

Oh god, Buffy...

Despair struck him with a relentless force and with a heated snarl, Spike wasted no time in sinking his fangs into the girl's neck, ignoring the yelp of pain that accompanied his actions.

True to her word, she didn't fight him, and finally Spike growled with irritation. With the ability to form speech impaired by his teeth firmly embedded in her flesh, Spike still managed to grumble, "For fuck's sake, would ya bloody work with me here?"

"What?" Christine questioned, confused by the fact he was talking to her rather than finishing the deed.

"Start bloody acting terrified, is what."

Realization dawned on her the same moment she recognized that he really wasn't... drinking from her, his fangs were just kinda... stuck in her neck?

And damned if it didn't still hurt like a sonofabitch.

Spike knew she got it when she started struggling to get away; an ear-piercing scream flying past her lips that had him cringing and wanting to drain her for real.

But it was exactly what he had asked for.

"No! Please no!" Christine cried out, attempting to free herself. Even though she was a girl and not a very strong one at that, Christine knew that the lone hand curled around her bicep, the other still fisted in her hair, held more strength than they should have, and she had to force herself not to smile at his duplicity.



Christine knew this impromptu ruse worked when she heard the door slide open. In anticipation of what was to follow, she allowed Spike to spin her around to be used as a human shield. It would be kind of worthless if they managed to taze him again.

The teeth that had been embedded in her neck were smoothly removed; although he seemed to want to keep up the ploy of feeding, his lips hovering over her neck. Christine couldn't help but tense when she heard the sound of booted footsteps enter the cell, but what followed transpired so quickly that Christine could barely grasp that it had even occurred.

The mere second that her 'saviors' were within striking distance, Spike was a sudden flurry of motion. Tossing her none too gently to the side, the vampire reached for the first soldier and snapped his neck, before making quick work of the other two.

Christine stood there in shock. Three men killed right in front of her in less time then it took her to tie her shoe. She grasped for the sense of horror and guilt she knew should be eating away at her conscience at witnessing Spike's brutality, but it wasn't there. In its place was a profound sense of relief.

Still struggling to come to terms with her fractured emotions, she watched as Spike reached down and yanked the tazer gun away from the first man he'd killed, wondering idly if it was finally going to be her turn. Her neck hurt like a bitch, but right now, it seemed like the least of her problem .

    She watched as Spike stripped one of the corpses with swift, economical movements; donning the uniform that was similar to her own.

Like the predator he was, Spike stalked towards the door that had been left blessedly open before he turned back to pierce her with a discerning look.

"You comin'?"

Christine's eyes widened at his query, completely thrown off guard for a brief second by the unexpectedness of it. Buffy's stricken features came to mind, and with little hesitation, she nodded her head.
 
"Oh yeah, I'm coming." She stopped briefly on her way to the door to grab a second weapon from one of the fallen soldiers before following the vampire out through the door.
 
Another world devoid of color greeted Spike as he stepped out into the hall, the oddly reassuring steps of G.I. Jane right behind him. It chilled him that no reinforcements had been dispatched as yet. Their lack of detection told him that there was something happening elsewhere that garnered more attention than winning the pool of how long it would take before the vampire finally offed the female guinea pig.

Something else - like Buffy.

Extending his senses, he tried to hone in on anything that would help him pinpoint her location, growling instinctively when he felt a hand upon his sleeve.

"I know where they probably took her."

Spike's penetrating eyes suddenly captured hers, and Christine could easily read the desperation the vampire couldn't quite mask.

"Take me to her," he demanded gruffly.

Christine nodded and slung the strap of her pilfered gun over her shoulder, setting a careful path down the hallway as she fumbled for her ID to open the security door. For the first time since joining the military, she actually felt like a soldier and she didn't know exactly what that said about her.

And found she didn't particularly care.

tbc...

So????? What do you think?