Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the long delay here. I had to go out of town unexpectedly and then I went to a Buffy convention in Sacramento and I'm trying to get back in the swing of things!
a/n-thank you to spikeskat once again for being an awesome beta!

Chapter 21
Xander stared in shock. Ok.... this was the same vampire from Parent/Teacher night and Halloween, right? He took a closer look, sure that there had to be some mistake; that there was some other British bloodsucker named Spike that Angel had been talking about.

But... no. Even without the lumpies and dressed in camouflage rather than the familiar black that Xander was used to seeing... there was little doubt.

It was the same vampire.

Just a much more sincere and nicer version. Housebroken, like Spike had accused Angel of being that night the souled demon had offered Xander up for a snack.

And hey, he could so live with that. "Er... don't mention it," Xander finally replied, realizing the silence had extended far longer than appropriate, and Spike's 'nicer' face was now clouding with undisguised irritation.

But Xander wasn't the only one doing a mental comparison between what was known about William the Bloody and what was being witnessed before their very eyes, actions speaking much louder than the written word.

As head of the Watcher's Council, Quentin Travers considered himself quite knowledgeable on the subject of vampires. An expert, actually. Yet, he found himself thoroughly confused and intrigued regarding the subject of one William the Bloody. It had not escaped his notice that he was in the company of two very notorious and dangerous vampires - only... did not feel his life was in jeopardy.

Bringing his internal musings to a close and getting down to business, Travers requested the use of a cellular phone; his own cellular phone and the various other electronics he’d been carrying earlier having been stripped the moment they had entered the base.

Angel tossed back a secure cellular phone that had been obtained in the same manner as their get away vehicle, wondering what Travers had in mind. It wasn't in him to trust Buffy's boss - yet, found himself with no other option available. However, if Travers dared to double-cross them in anyway, Angel vowed the man would be introduced first hand to the torture that would be met at the hands of a sadistic vampire - soul or no soul.

Unaware of the dark thoughts consuming the vampire, Travers lost no time in ringing the Council, setting in motion a new set of plans. This is what he excelled at - giving orders and having them followed without hesitation or question. This was familiar territory for him these days, the head watcher's previous days of violence buried deep in the past.

But it hadn't been forgotten. His body had remembered the lethal moves with stunning clarity. It was comforting to know that his edge hadn't been lost behind a desk.

Once Travers had been assured by his men that the matter of the base - and those inside - would no longer be a threat, he allowed himself a moment to reflect. Settling himself upon one of the uncomfortable benches that lined either side of the utilitarian truck, Travers wasn't surprised when Giles joined him and questioned his intent. Neither wanted to admit that seeing their slayer in such a state had made them both highly uncomfortable, and by turning their backs on her pained features and barely covered body, the two watchers could pretend, for just a moment, that a birth was not most likely imminent.

Before the plan could be discussed, the cellular phone he held in his hand rang and Travers spoke into it tersely before terminating the connection. His usual emotionally-devoid features held a glimmer of satisfaction as he regarded the other occupants of the truck.

"We have managed to destroy their satellite. Any outgoing means of communication and surveillance will be quite limited from here on out."

Christine couldn't keep the incredulity from flooding her voice, knowing how huge a feat that was. "You have the capabilities to accomplish something like that?"

The look Travers gave her in response was more indicative of the man the others were familiar with - arrogant and self-assured.

"Yes, quite. The resources the Watcher's Council has at its disposal are innumerable. However, this was merely the beginning."

It was clear by the tone in Travers voice that he looked upon the double cross as a personal affront, and the others who were actually listening could only be thankful that they were on the "giving" side rather than the much more typical receiving end.

Christine nodded thoughtfully, her head forming a clearer picture of what exactly the 'Watcher's Council' entailed. She realized it was why they had been locked in the comfortable board room and not in a containment cell; her military superiors probably needing the time to investigate the implications of their arrival.

And what the backlash would be if they came up missing.

Buffy's tired voice filled the confined space. "If it's safe... can someone call my mom and let her know I'm ok?"

Giles looked questioningly at Travers, whose curt nod confirmed that this request could be met.

"You don't wish to speak with her?" Giles questioned, while the Council was once again contacted.

Buffy shook her head, too weary to even think about going through the emotional battle of talking with her mom.

A man of few words, Travers was soon able to assure Buffy that her mother would be notified that she was on her way to a safe, secure location, away from the prying eyes of the US government; finding himself heartened by the fact that he had managed to extract a small smile from her. He cursed his own stupidity for not having the foresight to station his men closer to the base - finding this frantic flight across the desert an thoroughly unnecessary expenditure.

Travers just hoped they made it that far.

"Oh god, here comes another one," Buffy bit out, her face scrunching up with pain.

Christine glanced down at her watch, concern shadowing her face. It hadn't been that long since Buffy's last contraction, and while she wasn't the most knowledgeable when it came to pregnancies, she did know that the brief time between contractions did not bode well. Never had she thought she would appreciate being the labor coach for her best friend in high school as much as she did at this moment, since it was clear nobody else had a clue.

But that teenage birth had taken place in the controlled, yet chaotic, environment of a county labor and delivery unit.

This situation was anything but controlled.

Christine glanced over at Spike, who met her gaze. "I think we need to start getting things set up," she announced quietly to the distracted vampire.

The look that shimmered in Spike's eyes was piercing with panicked intent, a keen desperation hovering just around the edges. Christine picked up on the subconscious plea and sighed heavily, a slight frown marring her features. Her own body wasn't feeling too good with the after-effects of being tazed, and this wild ride over uneven ground wasn't helping. She couldn't even begin to imagine how it must be for Buffy.

And didn't want to.

The contraction seemed to pass, but left a thoroughly exhausted slayer in its wake. Buffy lay boneless against Spike, her head lolled to the side and pillowed against the hard chest behind her.

"Oh god, I'm going to have my baby in the back of an armored truck, aren't I?" Buffy moaned. "But hey, compared to the alternative, I'll totally take it."

"What? You're having the baby? Now?" Xander yelped, eyes bugged as he turned around from the front passenger seat where he'd moved to speak to Angel.

Buffy rolled her eyes, taking a moment to appreciate the comfort that came with the familiarity of Xander's off-the-wall comments. "Not so much with the right now, but let's just say, this 'labor thing' isn't going away," she was able to retort, managing a hint of quippy repartee to seep into her voice.

Christine's sense of apprehension continued to escalate. "I think we need to get you a bit more comfortable."

"I am comfortable," Buffy informed the soldier, moving was the last thing she wanted to do. "As comfortable as I can be, anyway. Spike makes a comfy pillow."

Christine heard the snort that came from the front seat, but ignored it. She gave Buffy a pointed look.

"Oh, my bad. That was code for Buffy gets to expose herself to the world again, wasn't it?"

Christine nodded ruefully. "Yeah. Sorry." She took a quick look around. "Does anybody know anything about delivering babies?"

The silence that accompanied her question was expected. "Yeah, that's what I thought." Christine risked a quick glance at Spike, finding herself wanting his permission before proceeding further. "Um... do you want one of the others to do this? Because I'm like the stranger here and..."

Spike's head shook curtly. "What, think I want anymore blokes taking a gander at Buffy's privates?"

When Christine still looked unconvinced, the vampire gestured to Buffy. "Do it."

"Ok. But you had better not attack me for touching her, you got it? You're all possessive and growly. It makes me nervous," she informed him.

Spike snorted derisively, but nodded. "I'll keep my fangs to myself. That what you wanna hear?"

"Yeah." Christine took another quick glance around, panic trying to build once more. Shrugging it off, she looked at the man who she had only heard referred to as 'Travers' and 'the Head Wanker.' "I don't suppose we can stop, can we? Find a nice hospital to check her into?"

Travers shook his head ruefully. "My security experts have advised me against it. My men are getting into place, as we speak. But unfortunately, we still have approximately an hour before we will be under Council protection. Until that time, we need to keep moving."

Anticipating the heated argument to the contrary, Travers added, "If absolutely need be, we will not hesitate to seek medical treatment, I assure you."

"So basically, it's watch the clock and hope for the best?" Xander summed up.

"Yes, unfortunately." Travers took a moment to cast an apologetic look at his exhausted slayer and the vampire she lay against, actually managing to surprise himself with his sincerity. "I'm truly sorry, Buffy. I know this is not an ideal situation for you. However, we have just made some formidable enemies, and until we can get that threat under control, we are forced to tread carefully."

Buffy nodded knowingly. "Yeah, I get that. I'd just as soon avoid being snatched by the military again, thank you very much." Her hands slid over her swollen belly in a tender caress. "Plus, I have something they want." Her gaze suddenly found Travers and grabbed hold, fragility and fear bright in the pleading, hazel depths. "Please make sure they can't at us again... I know I haven't been the best slayer, but-"

Travers held up one hand to cut off Buffy's heartfelt ramble. "Rest assured that I will do everything in my power to make certain that you, and those close to you, are protected." His smile became brittle. "I have my own score to settle against those who abducted you, never fear."

Spike's eyes met Travers' and held them. "I'll hold you to that. But if she gets into trouble with the baby, all bets are off, ya get me? We'll just have to take our chances."

Travers found himself nodding in agreement, once again intrigued by this legendary vampire. He only hoped he would be able to garner a few moments in order to properly interview William the Bloody. Perhaps then he would be able to fathom what change of heart had occurred that resulted in William coming to their aid, rather than ripping their throats out.
tbc

A/N-I know, I know, Buffy's been in labor forrrrrever. Next chapter, I promise, is 'the' chapter.