Special thanks to Spikeskat for the speedy beta once again! *hugs you* This chapter is for angelic-amy because I owe her a few. :P

Chapter 24

The baby books Buffy had practically devoured during her latter stages of pregnancy had not even begun to prepare her for the reality that was motherhood, and she was terrified.

"What's wrong with her?" Buffy asked frantically, her thoughts working hard to penetrate through the thick cloud of lethargy and come up with a logical reason for the sudden torrential outcry.

"The 'bit is probably 'ungry," Spike announced, his voice tinged with a comparable level of panic, quickly discounting any previous experience with babies he may have had in the past. While he had never actively killed an infant, he had not hesitated in supplying Drusilla with a ready supply when her fickle mood for young blood had struck. Something akin to guilt tried hammering through his already fractured emotions, and looking down at the reddened face of his child, he refused to follow the path his memories were trying to take him. He didn't have time for guilt, and he sure as fuck didn't want it. Instead, he focused on the matter at hand, namely putting an end to his child’s ear-piercing cries.

With the volume rapidly gaining in intensity, each person present seemed struck with the same affliction; a profound immobility that allowed them to do nothing more than stare with wide-eyes and horror. Christine couldn't quite hold back the roll of her eyes at this validating display of the complete and utter uselessness of males. She couldn't find it within herself to begrudge Buffy's own seeming inability to offer a solution, knowing that the girl had just suffered through more than any normal person could handle.

No, Buffy had an excuse. The others didn't.

When Spike finally moved to take the swathed bundle from Buffy's arms, Christine intervened. "Let me help," she announced, taking possession of the newborn. Settling herself at Buffy's side, Christine pinned a warning look at the dumbstruck watchers. "You think you could give Buffy some privacy?"

"Huh? Why?" Xander called back in a confused voice, after hearing the soldier's sarcastically posed request. He swiveled around in his seat to make sure he wasn't missing anything of importance. "I thought the naked part was over."

Giles cleared his throat uncomfortably and finally answered Xander’s question when the female soldier didn’t bother to elaborate on her pointed demand. "I believe she means for Buffy to... er... um… that is to say…Buffy might need to… nurse the baby," he finally mumbled. Just the thought of using the word breast and his slayer in the same sentence had his face flushing profusely. As it was, he had seen far too much in the past hour that the images of her giving birth – and the intense labor preceding the actual delivery – would no doubt torment him for many years to come.

"Ooo... kay... Think I'll pass on a visual of that one," Xander commented quickly, doing an about face in his seat. Like Giles, he'd already seen more than enough of Buffy's nubile flesh to scar him for the next decade. And while a year ago, passing up an opportunity to get a gander at his not-so-much-with-the secret crush's "rack" was something not even within the realm of possibility, the situation had drastically changed. Now he'd rather gouge out his eyeballs than risk getting another peek at the super-sized melons Buffy was now sporting. He much preferred to remember them as they had been. Firm. Rounded. Perky, even. Enough to fill out her skimpy tops and spill over the tops of her C cup without looking obscene. And he was so getting off topic...

And suddenly having to fight the urge to turn around again...

However, luckily for him, the reality of the current situation hit home once more with the voice of calm reason.

"I kind of remember the lactation nurse doing this for my friend," Christine explained to Buffy awkwardly, positioning the baby so that the tiny mouth was aligned with Buffy's nipple.

And she couldn't help but hold her breath, hoping that this would work.

"I don't think she likes me, " Buffy commented tearfully a moment later when nothing had happened except an increase of lung capacity and several decibels as the tiny mouth steadfastly refused to recognize its source of nourishment and became even more enraged that her demands were not being met.

Suddenly it was all too much for Buffy. Being rejected by the very being that she had fought so hard to bring into this world was the last straw, and streaks of moisture ran unchecked down her cheeks as helplessness overwhelmed her.

Rejection was an emotion that Christine was well versed in, and she sent imploring eyes in Spike's direction, hoping that he could do something to alleviate Buffy's torment. But she found the vampire's entire focus on that of his squalling child and knew he didn't have what it would take to bring Buffy the necessary reassurance.

Desperate to wipe the stricken look off of her friend's face, she suggested hesitantly, "Um... I think you just need to guide your... uh... " she gestured with one hand in the direction of Buffy's heaving bosom, "um, nipple into her mouth..."

Hazel eyes that spoke of unknown trauma and pain lifted to meet Christine's uncertain gaze, and the soldier gave her a brief smile and a reassuring nod that alerted Buffy to the fact that at least one person knew what she was going through. And could sympathize.

Buffy took a deep breath, finding herself strangely soothed by Christine's calm, supportive demeanor. Still fighting the affects of the delivery and blood loss, Buffy cupped her own breast and touched the tip of one nipple to her daughter's cheek, not knowing what to expect.

In the span of a few seconds, tiny lips that had been pursed with outrage, unexpectedly closed around the dusky areola.

And there was silence.

A swift burst of maternal pride found its way to the surface as Buffy stared down at her baby girl. "Oh....wow... she's nursing," she uttered softly.

Buffy tore her eyes away to capture Spike's gaze, smiling through the tears that continued to collect and fall, at the look of awed wonder that had transformed the vampire's face. A tender smile was shared as they both turned back to watch their baby nurse at Buffy's breast. Neither needed to voice the acknowledgement that this miracle had almost not taken place, both realizing how close it had truly been. They owed a world of gratitude to these people who had risked their lives to ensure their safety and the continued viability of their child.

Buffy broke her gaze away from the beautiful sight of watching her daughter to encompass the others, needing them to know the extent of her gratitude.

Because of them, she was a mother.

Her mouth parted in preparation for speech - when a sharp, pricking sensation had her eyes widening with disbelief and flying back to her feeding bundle of joy.

"What's wrong?" Spike asked, reading Buffy's expression of shock accurately.

"Um... She just bit me," Buffy replied softly, still not fully comprehending what had just occurred.

Christine nodded knowingly, imparting what little wisdom she had procured, pleased with herself that she had managed to get Buffy this far. "I remember my friend's nipples were so cracked when she first started nursing that she would practically cry when it was time for her baby to eat. I think there is some stuff you can get to make it better though."

Buffy shook her head. "No. I mean she bit me.'

All eyes swiveled around to gape at the child nestled at Buffy's breast, unmindful of her modesty as the significance of the words were interpreted. The baby had been delivered with all the appearances of a normal, mortal child, and in chaotic aftermath of the birth, there had been no time to discover otherwise.

"Do you mean to say-" Travers began, staring at the now blessedly quiet baby feeding contendedly.

Buffy nodded warily, and Spike reached out one finger and gently lifted up on the corner of his daughter's upper lip. A slow smile of pride worked its way onto his face before he spoke.

"Well, I'll be damned. She's got my fangs."

Giles slumped back against the seat wearily. "Oh good lord."


tbc..