Author's Chapter Notes:
I would like to thank bernadette, pj, Buffyspikeforever, shady, olivialuv, cee, me, steph, jenny, rockerbaby, tv, scarlet, franchesca, stace, jennifer, tam, danni, esther, niamh, demonica, mariana, shadowsbabe, txjmfan, and megan for reviewing! I can't tell you how motivating it is!!
a/n- Mucho thanks goes to spikeskat for beta'ing this chapter. I suppose i should put a disclaimer for a somewhat morbid and bleak Buffy in this chapter. Oh don't worry, it's not THAT bad :P


chapter 3

After Buffy took care of her tab, she wasted no time in leaving. The live entertainment that had just kicked off provided not the slightest bit of interest. She was no longer comfortable around people and craved the quiet solitude of her motel room.

Ignoring the leers and crude comments while making her escape, she breathed a sigh of relief as she pushed the heavy wooden door open and quickly exited, relieved that nobody had bothered to follow her. Her slayer sense was still firing, and her cool, accessing eyes immediately went to work surveying her surroundings. Seeing nothing out of the ordinary, Buffy walked around the side of the building to check out the alley, misplaced nostalgia of the Bronze suddenly striking hard.

The alley was empty yet a foreboding feeling continued to spread through her. A flurry of kicks taking place inside her abdomen left her momentarily distracted, and that was when it happened.

She was suddenly slammed from behind, sandwiched between unforgiving brick and a hard, lean body behind her, the swell of her abdomen crushed against the solid wall in front of her.

And with that, her slayer's innate sense of preservation kicked in.

With a growl, she threw her head back to butt her attacker in the face, but her bound hair was quickly caught in an unrelenting fist and her head yanked to one side, leaving her neck nice and exposed.

"Get off me!" she yelled, attempting to free herself from the bands of steel that held her imprisoned.

A low chuckle reached her ears and she gasped when her attacker ground his erection against her butt. "Nice to see you again, Slayer," a low British voice whispered into her ear.

Buffy stilled, her heart suddenly pounding. "Spike?"

"Got it in one, pet. Seems to me our last encounter over Halloween ended with us somewhat in this position," he commented mockingly, his hips moving in a slow circle against her ass once more. "Well, maybe not entirely this position."

Buffy closed her eyes and cursed the fates. She tried one more time to extricate herself from Spike's iron grip, only to find her efforts failed.

With the certain knowledge that these were her last moments on this earth, her regret was great. She would die without seeing those she loved again.

But then a tiny voice started whispering in her head that when her life ended, so would the life that grew within her and the constant flight, and suddenly death appeared as an inviting release. Making a monumental decision, Buffy breathed a sigh of defeat and forced herself to relax in the tight hold Spike had on her.

And waited.

Spike sniffed the air, wanting to savor the sweet smell of her fear, frowning a bit when it was denied him. He grinned knowingly. The Slayer had herself a bit of a death wish. He'd seen it before; it was right there in the passive tilt of her head, the eyes that had fluttered shut.

He knew that he had not bested her, that she was merely giving herself to him.

But his third slayer.... Bloody hell, the stuff of legends. He was mildly curious as to what she was doing in this rat hole, but he quickly thrust it out of his mind. Gnawing at him was the knowledge that he hadn't bested her in battle, but that too went by the wayside. He no longer abided by his old rules of conduct.

Giving her one last opportunity to attempt to fight him, to try to steal this victory for herself, he slowly leaned in and nuzzled the bare expanse of neck, licking a moist trail down that tempting column of throat in a mocking parody of a lover.

He smiled when she shivered in response.

The moment he touched her though, something began tugging at his senses. A tiny niggling that something wasn't right here, warning him to proceed with caution. His rising bloodlust only added to his confusion and Spike actually found his intent wavering.

He had the bloody slayer right where he wanted her, just begging to be bit, and he was hesitating. He looked over at her, eyes closed, just ripe for the picking and her passive acceptance of death suddenly angered him.

It was always about the fucking Slayer.

With a impatient snarl, he struck, his fangs sliding through the delicate skin with ease. He moaned against her neck in ecstasy as the warm, succulent sweetness of her blood came bursting into his mouth, his hips pistoning forward to grind his hardened cock against her backside. His internal struggle over taking her this way all but forgotten.

Attuned to every beat her heart took, he momentarily faltered when a foreign beat suddenly rose apart from hers, and it was at that very moment, the taste of blood changed. A subtle shift that had him ripping his fangs away and staring down at her bleeding neck in shock.


Confused green eyes slowly opened to stare up at him over her shoulder, silently pleading for him to finish the job. Because this suddenly made sense to her. If she was going to leave this world, it was only fitting that he be the one to do it.

She was tired of running.

But his fangs never returned, instead he suddenly tossed her aside as he backpedaled from their intimate embrace. In his haste, he stumbled to the ground where he remained, not bothering to pick himself back up.

And all the while he stared.

Spike's demonic eyes melted back to familiar blue, his gaze burning a hole right through her as she slowly turned around to face him. Careful-like. As if any undue motion would trigger a repeat of his attack. Buffy looked down at the blond-headed vampire where he’d yet to move from the ground and could see a wealth of confusion swimming in their murderous depths. Her own gaze, no doubt, mirroring her confusion. 


"S-spike?" Buffy found herself asking in a halting voice, wondering why she wasn't running away. Why she wasn't taking advantage of the fact that she wasn't dead. But the intensity of his stare kept her rooted firmly in place.

"How?" Spike finally ground out, his eyes raking her slight form.

Buffy shook her head in confusion. "What are you talking about?"

"In your blood...," Spike began heatedly, getting to his feet and stalking towards her, "I tasted...," his voice trailed off.

"What, Spike?" Buffy demanded.

"Me."

Buffy blinked as his revelation washed over her, bile suddenly making its way up her throat. "Oh god...." Her arms came around to wrap themselves around her middle, and Buffy attempted to push the nausea back.

Suddenly, Spike grabbed her upper arms in a vise-like grip, his eyes murderous as he glared into her face. "How?" he growled dangerously. "And don't fuck with me, Slayer."

Rage suddenly coursed through her, and Buffy knocked his arms away in an easy show of strength. She planted both hands against his chest and shoved him away from her, returning his glare with a heated look of her own. "Don't touch me."

"Tell me."

Without ceremony, Buffy took a step back, her fingers finding the buttons to her coat. As she worked the buttons through the holes, she briefly wondered why this little show and tell was even necessary, why he hadn't heard the extra heartbeat and guessed for himself. Slipping the jacket from her shoulders, she unveiled the curve of her abdomen to his furious eyes and watched as his eyes widened with disbelief.

The Slayer was pregnant.

Bloody hell.

His fury fled in the wake of the Slayer's revelation. But how...

"Don't suppose you spent any quality time with the military lately?" she asked in a small voice.

It was at that moment Buffy realized Spike's bad ass exterior was just a front. The myriad of human emotions that flew across his face were as telling as if he'd suddenly started spouting poetry. Nothing that was supposed to be as evil as Spike had made himself out to be could be capable of such depth.

And she had her answer.

Suddenly, the reality hit.

The paternity and species of this baby was no longer unknown.

It had a father.

The tears that she had denied for the last seven months suddenly threatened to break free, and Buffy knew it couldn't happen here. Not in this alley. Not like this. She'd repressed far too much.

She offered him a watery nod and began to make her way out of the alley.

She hadn't taken more than two steps before his voice called out in angry disbelief, "Where the bloody fuck do you think you're going?"

"It's late. And I'm tired. I'm going back to my motel," she told him quietly without turning around, wiping an errant tear off of her cheek.

Spike saw the defeated bow of her head, heard the tale tell sniffles and cursed his softer side. She looked terrible and his bloodletting earlier hadn't helped.

She may be the bloody slayer, but things had changed.

She carried his child.

And that made all the difference.

tbc...

Come on, you didn't REALLY think I'd have Buffy knocked up with any other demon seed than Spike's, DID YOU? Let me know what you think pleeeeeeeze!