Author's Chapter Notes:
HUGE thanks to Mariana, Heaven, pufles, sarahg, buffyandspikeforever, me, slinky, jeane, stace, shady, reciprocity, danni, cordy, daisy, ariel dawn, demona424, beth, kate, txjmfan, brat, franchesca, rockerbaby, sevvy_o, aurora, scarlet, bernadette, Kar and Niamh for soothing my massive paranoia!!
thank you to Spikeskat for AGAIN making with the speedy beta job.
 chapter 6

Taking matters into his own hands, Spike scheduled a prenatal visit for Buffy as she neared the end of what would be a typical human gestation period.

But nothing about this pregnancy was normal. And that made Spike nervous.

His earlier pleas for her to obtain prenatal care had gone unheeded; Buffy's fear of recapture taking precedence over her desperation to allay their fears about the baby's health. Spike knew that she was counting heavily on her slayer constitution to get her through anything she might experience during delivery.

However, one of the main reasons he had chosen Costa Rica was because of reports he'd received of a very good, and discreet, demon clinic. And he'd be damned if he was going to let her win this particular battle. Spike knew that subjecting Buffy to a prenatal examination came with the threat of exposure and possible recapture, but felt the benefits far outweighed the risk in this case.

Because he needed the reassurance that she was all right. Losing Buffy was not something he could even contemplate at this point.

In the span of a few short months, she had become his world. It wasn't just the fact that she carried his child within her womb, or that she was barely out of his sight for any length of time.

In some bizarre way, he had realized she was his human equal. She complimented him. And while she had allowed him to claim her, he was looking forward to the time when he could bind her to him, good and proper. The fact that he was planning on taking a human as a mate refused to create within him even the slightest hint of panic or doubt.

Because she belonged with him. And once they finally got to the shaggin' part, he would be marking her permanently.

His cock swelled and rubbed against the metal teeth of his zipper at just the mere thought of plunging inside her warm heat, and he hastily refocused his thoughts on something unpleasant. Wouldn't do for him to walk in on her with his cock practically bursting from his jeans, not that it would be the first time she'd seen him straining his denim around her.

As a vampire who prided himself on his prowess in bed, it should have bothered him, the lack of true intimacy in their relationship. Yet, the frequent smell of her arousal kept him from seducing her, knowing full well he could accomplish that with little difficulty.

No, for once, he wasn't going to bollocks this up. He was going to leave it in her hands. When she was ready, she would let him know.

As Spike walked up the path to their temporary, funky, two-bedroom home, he passed by a new sign that now graced the front porch.


'Welcome to Villa Villekulla'.

He snorted derisively and threw open the front door.

"Think you need to lay off the Pippi Longstocking, pet," he called out in greeting, instinctively listening for the sounds of beating hearts and quickly making his way to the kitchen. "It's pickled your brain, but good. If I find out you're thinkin' about gettin' yourself a monkey and calling it 'Mr. Nelson', we're going to have words."

He found Buffy sitting at the kitchen table with an empty pint of Ben and Jerry's ice cream in front of her. It was on the tip of his tongue to tease her more about her bizarre nesting habits, when he noticed the twin moist tracks that ran down her cheeks, telling their own story.

Striding forward, he threw himself down into the chair opposite her and took her hands in his own. "What's wong?"

Buffy sniffled and hastily wiped at her eyes. She had tried to get this latest crying jag under control before Spike had come home, but unfortunately, she was at the mercy of the hormone monster yet again.

"Sorry. I'm all Hormonal Buffy again."

He stared at her in that unnerving way she had quickly discovered that he possessed. "Don't need to lie to me, you know. You can tell me if somethin's buggin' ya."

Buffy was silent for a moment, then expelled a heavy sigh. "I was just thinking about home again, is all. My mom's going to be a grandmother and she probably thinks I'm totally dead."

Spike nodded knowingly, figuring it had to be something like this. "Well, since we both disappeared good ole Sunnyhell at the same time, they probably think I had something to do with it."

Buffy nodded sadly. "I just wish I could let her know I was ok. Just so I'm not thinking about her lying in bed every night worrying about me."

Unable to deny her anything, Spike's mind began to work on a way to grant her wish, regardless of the risks. Standing up, he pressed a kiss to her forehead, then disappeared out the door once again.

He had some demons to see.

The next evening, Spike left the 'villa' as soon as the sun went down. Buffy didn't question his departure, completely , engrossed in her book. Reading had become a new passion, one that she'd had neither the time nor patience for in her previous life. But now, with literally nothing but time on her hands, losing herself in the pages of fiction was her favorite thing to do.

Spike entered the demon bar and went up to the bartender, holding his hand out expectantly. A cell phone was dropped unceremoniously into it, and Spike nodded his head in thanks. He wasted no time in exiting the establishment, eager for privacy.

He dialed the only number programmed into it, and waited.

His lips quirked up in a smile when it was answered after the second ring.

"Peaches," he acknowledged by way of greeting.
 
"Spike..." Angel ground out, eyes flashing yellow as he realized who had set up the cryptic phone call. He was standing in the dank basement of Willy's bar, the steel-plated walls offering a sinister edge to what he had been sure was a set up. "What the fuck did you do with her?"

Spike sighed, knowing the call would go like this. "Listen, you ponce, I have some things I need to tell ya."

There was something in the tone of Spike's voice that warned Angel to drop the testosterone and listen, but he quickly ignored it. This was Spike - and that was all Angel needed to remember, not about to give his erstwhile grandchilde the benefit of the doubt. "I'm all ears," he said snidely.

"Look, you're going to have to be extra careful here. Can you do that?"

Angel growled impatiently. "Well, if I knew what in the hell was going on, it might be a little easier. Where is she?"

Frustration began building up and he was tempted to hurl the phone against the wall rather than have to suffer through talking this out with the big poof.

"Is she still alive, Spike?" Angel asked dangerously when the silence extended a fraction too long.

"Yes, she's bloody well alive, you git!" When he heard Angel's roar of anger at the confirmation that Spike was responsible for Buffy's disappearance, he put the phone down and ran his fingers through his blonde hair in agitation

The volume hadn't improved when Spike returned the phone to his ear. "Where is she, Spike? What did you do to her?"

"Look, you over-inflated sack of crap, I told you I'd fill you in," Spike repeated only to be interrupted.

"So why are you calling? To gloat that you have her? Holding her for ransom, maybe? If you have hurt her in anyway, so help me...."

Beyond frustrated, Spike took the phone and banged it loudly against the wall three times. "Do I have your attention now? You interrupt me one more soddin' time, and I'm hanging up. Then you can go tell Buffy's mum that you drove me off because you couldn't keep that blowhole known as your mouth shut for longer than a second. You got me?"

Hearing Spike call the girl he loved by her given name infuriated him, but acknowledging the amount of emotional horror Joyce had suffered in the months Buffy had disappeared, Angel managed to stifle the retort on his lips and remain quiet.

"So, I have your attention now?"

"Yes," Angel bit out through clenched teeth.

"Right. First off. To clear up a few misconceptions; I did not snatch the Slayer. You can bloody well thank the military, the good ole’ US of A, for that one."

"And you just what... happened to disappear at the same time, is that what you're saying?"

"Well, Buffy wasn't the only one those wankers snatched, so yeah, I guess that is what I'm saying."

Again, the use of her given name by Spike, of all people, sent a bolt of fury through Angel. Yet, it was the lack of hatred and venom in Spike's voice when referring to Buffy that allowed Angel to finally put aside his issues and listen. In a far less accusatory tone of voice, Angel remarked, "So, the military kidnapped both of you? Why? To serve what purpose?"

Spike's body relaxed a fraction when he heard the shift of the poof's tone. "Experimentation. Cloning, I think."

Angel's gut clenched at the thought of Buffy being experimented on. But now he could no longer deny Spike's sincerity, and that just made his anguish more acute. "Where is this base? She's not still there, is she?"

"New Mexico. Don't ask me where, wasn't paying too much attention at the time. And no, she escaped the same time I skipped out; going on eight months, maybe."

There was silence. "So, why are you calling me and not Buffy? Why hasn't she come home?"

"Her mum. Slayer wanted her to know she was ok." Spike sighed heavily on the phone. "They...did stuff to her in there. They won't have given up looking for her. She can't bloody well come home, you lot have probably been under watch from the get go. The second she steps foot in good ole Sunnyhell, she'll be snatched up faster than anythin'."

Angel slumped heavily onto a crate, finding his legs unable to support his weight. He couldn't remember the last time he and Spike had spoken so civilly to one another; it was unnerving. "So, what aren't you telling me?"

After a lengthy pause, Spike dropped the bombshell.

"She's pregnant."

tbc...
A/N- uh oh...