Author's Chapter Notes:
thank you for the reviews you guys!!
Again, massive thanks and squishes to Spikeskat for beta'ing this chappie!
chapter 8

When Spike quietly entered the villa hours after his disturbing conversation with Angel, his mood was decidedly resigned. He knew that he had set something in motion by placing the phone call, yet couldn't find it within himself to regret what he’d done.
.

He found Buffy sprawled awkwardly on the large, plush sofa in their cozy living room that was just off the kitchen. She had evidently fallen asleep again while she read, the way her book was collapsed haphazardly on top of her enlarged bosom a telling sign.

Spike took a moment to watch her, something he found himself doing a lot lately. That familiar feeling of affection and protectiveness welled up inside of him, and a tender smile found its way to his full lips.

She looked so bloody young and innocent laying there, her lips slightly parted as she breathed in a slow, unhurried rate - indicative of her deep slumber. They had recently celebrated her seventeenth birthday, and Spike thought about how much she had changed since he'd almost taken her life in that seedy alley.

He knew she had been haunted, as he had been, by the horrifying experience inside of the military compound. That constant threat of recapture, coupled with the unwanted and unknown pregnancy, had slowly been draining her life away. Almost as surely as he had himself attempted to do to her . It had just been recently that her eyes had finally lost that haunted edge, and Spike intended to keep it from returning.

Buffy hadn't been the only one walking around a mere shell of her former self when their paths had crossed that fateful night. It typically took a lot to break a vampire; especially one that had suffered Angelus' sadistic whims like he had as a fledgling. But the torture and degradation he had experienced during his involuntary incarceration had managed to strike its way to the very core of his being, carving out his insides until there had been very little of himself remaining.

Somehow, Buffy had managed to fill him back up. Had given him purpose. Had given him life. And being the one to chase away her nightmares had kept his own tortured dreams at bay, and that suited him just fine.

Gently scooping Buffy off of the couch, he cradled her gently against his chest. Even with her stomach swollen with child, she weighed practically nothing, and Spike easily carried her down the narrow hallway to their bedroom.

Drawing back the bright, tropical-printed quilt, he carefully laid her down on the firm mattress before stripping off his own shirt and jeans; throwing on a pair of cotton gym shorts before slipping into bed behind her, his arm immediately snaking around her middle to rest against the evidence of his legacy.

The fact that she didn't wake during his transfer told him of her exhaustion, and he leaned over to kiss the scar he had left upon her neck, ignoring the sudden bloodlust that engulfed him at the close proximity to her unguarded throat.

She was perfectly safe with him.

He still fed from humans, but abided by the rules that Buffy had set for him in that regard. He remembered well the argument that had ensued about his feeding habits, but had finally come around to her way of thinking: no killing and his victims had to be male, and low profile. It made it much harder to feed, but he found that if he stuck with a certain class of citizen, their lack of credibility pretty much ensured that any claims they made about being bit would not be well received or investigated.

Spike had quickly come to find that Buffy was a bossy little chit, and wondered if that would prevail past this pregnancy.

And surprisingly, he hoped that it wouldn't change.

With Buffy snug in his arms, it didn't take him long to drift off to sleep, finding himself suddenly exhausted by the events of the evening.

He was awoken a mere hour later by the sensation of the mattress dipping down as Buffy heaved herself back into bed.

Seeing his eyes open and regarding her, Buffy pouted, "Being pregnant sucks."

Spike bit back the grin at the adorable expression on her face. "Bitty Spike tap dancin' on your bladder again?"

Scooting herself back so that she was once again spooned up against Spike, she grabbed his arm and brought it snugly about her middle. "More like the whole damn dance troupe. And would you stop calling it bitty Spike? We're not even sure yet if it's a boy or a girl."

"Spike could be a girl's name," he teased, his fingers burrowing under her top to caress the taut, smooth skin of her abdomen.

Buffy snorted indelicately. "Yeah right, I can sooo see that. As in, not." She sighed in contentment when Spike began rubbing her belly. "So... where did you go tonight?"

Even though there was not the slightest hint of accusation present in her voice, Spike tensed.

Reading him accurately, Buffy suffered through the difficulty of turning over in the bed so that she was facing him. "Spike..., what did you do?"

Mind scrambling, Spike reached for the first thing he could come up with to avoid having to answer her. "I, uh... made you an appointment to be seen at that clinic I told you about."

Buffy rolled her eyes. "Duh, I know. They called here to confirm it, stealth guy."

"They did?"

"Yes."

"Oh." Seeing the slayer staring at him with one eyebrow cocked in silent question, Spike broke under the pressure. "Oh, bloody hell, all right. I called Peaches."

Buffy's eyes widened in incredulity as both fear and elation filled her. "You did WHAT? Why?"

Spike couldn't seem to bring himself to look her in the eye. "Because..."

"Did you... tell him?"

The silence that followed gave her the answer and she was suddenly overcome with emotion. Tears snuck down her cheeks as she reached up to gently cup Spike's well defined cheek.

"Oh, bloody hell! That is why I did it in the first place, you silly bint. Needed to put an end to these soddin' waterworks every time I turn around," Spike grumbled. "I seriously hope you aren't like this after the..."

His attempted tirade was effectively shut down when a sweet pair of lips tentatively touched his, curtailing any words that had been on his mind.

Unsure at first, Buffy soon became more aggressive when Spike moaned into her mouth, his fingers finding the curve of her hip and hauling her against him; unmindful of the large barrier of belly that was pressed against his. It was the first time she had kissed him in passion, the previous chaste pecks not meaning anything beyond mere comfort.

Teasing her lips with tiny nibbles, he wasted no time in demanding entrance with his tongue, another moan issuing when it was granted. She greeted him eagerly, her tongue dueling for dominance as the kiss moved into the realm of something more serious.

Buffy could feel his hardness digging into her belly, not that it was the first time she had felt it against her. But it was the first time that she had been deliberately responsible for it, and it gave her a wicked thrill of feminine satisfaction to feel how much she affected him. When Spike's fingers moved from her hip to trail teasingly up her torso, to find their way under her shirt, her breath hitched in her throat. He quickly sought the ripening weight of her breast, molding his palm over the firm mound and that was when the first hint of doubt began to creep in.

When Spike slid his hand back down to grip the hem of her shirt and attempted to pull it over her head, that doubt became a full fledged panic.

With all of her slayer strength and speed, Buffy ripped her mouth away from his and grabbed her t-shirt from his grasp, playing tug-o-war with the cotton fabric that left her undeniably the winner, and her face red with embarrassment.

"Oh god, I'm sorry!" she cried, suddenly able to not meet his eyes as she attempted to scoot away from their intimate position. She could still feel the hard length of him jutting impressively from his shorts, and that caused her to back peddle more furiously; an awkward feat in her highly pregnant state.

His hand clamped down on her hip to still her movement. "Keep movin' around like that, pet, and we're really goin' to have a problem on our hands," he told her while gritting his teeth against the delicious sensations of Buffy moving against his engorged member.

Buffy instantly stilled, her eyes wide with mortification. "I'm sorry," she repeated.

"S'ok, just give me a sec."

"No, I mean, I am really, REALLY sorry. I started something here, then went all Schizo-Buffy on you. I'm just so...HUGE and I feel ugly," Buffy admitted, with a glare down at the offending belly. "Uber ugly. I just...don't feel desirable right now."

When Spike felt he had himself under control, he let go of her hip and tipped her chin up to meet his eyes with his index finger. "Look, pet. I admit I'm more than a wee bit disappointed here. You got me hard as a rock, yeah?" He thrust against her for emphasis. "But I'm thinkin' I don't really want you right now, not like this."

Buffy threw him a dirty look. "Oh you big... vampire jerk! That was the part where you were supposed to say that I wasn't huge. That I was just very pregnant and beautiful."

Spike couldn't help the smirk that curved over his lips. "That right? Well, you are. Pregnant and beautiful, I mean," he added with a rush when he caught sight of another black look sent his way. "No, the reason I don't want you this way is because when we finally shag …” He paused a moment, waiting for her to look at him. Really look at him. To see the desire he barely managed to keep in check around her. Once he was sure he had her undivided attention, saw her mouth make that little “o” in realization he continued, “When we finally shag, I am gonna make you give me everythin' you got. Won't accept anything less."

Buffy gulped at the sensual tone of Spike's voice, instantly growing wet at the erotic images his words evoked. "Oh."

He snorted and gathered her in arms. "Yeah, Oh. Gonna make you bloody well scream, luv. Gonna make you come so many times, you won't know when one stops and the other starts. All. Bloody. Night. Long."

Another gulp. "Pretty sure of yourself, aren't you?" Not that she didn’t doubt his claim, not for one second, but appearances had to be maintained, right?


"Bloody right I am." He kissed the tip of her nose. "Now go to sleep."

"Spike?"

"Wot?"

"Thanks for not being mad."

"Oh, you'll be making it up to me, don't you worry your cute little arse over that one."

"Promise?" she replied cheekily.

"Oh, that's a soddin' promise you can be sure I'll be keepin' you to," Spike replied, closing his eyes and cuddling her close as he tried valiantly to ignore the raging hard-on that persisted.

Sleep was a long time coming.
tbc