Part Four:

‘Pain’

‘Release’

‘More’

Spike steadied his hand as the sharp piece of glass pierced his flesh. The pain offering a release that even booze couldn’t these days or at least on the days when he couldn’t find some demon to inflict his emotional turmoil on. ‘Guess the slayer in town is getting a little better at her job,’ Spike thought. Only have myself to blame for that, I guess. Spike leaned back against the wall of the small apartment in Chicago that he had been squatting in for the last six months.

At least he thought it was six months. He really didn’t give much thought to time anymore. Time only mattered when you had people to care about, and he didn’t have that anymore. Not since L.A. Now a year since the battle that had destroyed the only group of real friends he’d ever had, and that he had learned he would never get the reward of the shanshu prophecy. He would never be forgiven. He would never get the girl.

That thought triggered Spike to grab the glass again the pain flooding his system, keeping him from thinking, and from feeling the hopelessness of his life. What else could you call an eternity of playing second fiddle to Angel. If it weren’t so sad it would almost be funny, and he knew that just a few years ago had he seen another vampire in his position he would have killed him just for being so pitiful. I’m loves bitch, but no one loves me. At that thought Spike began to slice himself again.

---

A couple hours later Spike dragged himself out into the streets of Chicago. He’d been in Chicago before, and found the attitude of the people interesting. Chicago was a world unto itself here in the city that turned they loved a baseball that team that hadn’t been champions since almost before he was a vampire. That turned a killer in Al Capone into a city hero. That worshiped Walter Payton for a will that would never die. If there was a city that would fit Spike this had to be it. A city loved its dubious history, and in fact reveled in it while working to become something else
.
But Spike was far from the blonde terror of a vampire that had entered Sunnyhell eight years ago. His hair was no longer bleached blonde, and his beloved duster had disappeared in the mayhem of the battle in L.A. In fact right now Spike didn’t even have his name. In a twist of irony that even wasn’t really laughing at he was using the name of Randy. Hoping that he could stay just under the radar of the ‘Senior Partners’ and the Powers that Be.

Spike was starring out at the night skyline of Chicago when he heard the sounds of a fight in an alley a block away. Spike moved over the rooftops as if the fight had energized him like nothing had in awhile. On reaching the valley Spike saw six vampires surrounding a young blonde girl. A tall lanky vampire was talking, and doing his best to be intimidating. To bad Angel’s dead, bloke needs to learn what real intimidation looks like.

“Well, so little girl likes to think she’s a slayer. So tell me, does fighting vampires make you feel all powerful? To make you feel like more then the slut you are?”

The girl didn’t react. In fact she remained perfectly at ease, and Spike just smiled. Girl had balls he’d give her that. The other vamps were closing in, well looks like its time for me to make an entrance. Spike grabbed the side of the building to direct his leap right in between the girl and the tall talking vamp. Spike’s sudden appearance caused the vamps to stop moving. Too many right now to start talking, Spike thought. So he just smiled a thin smile, and dove at the tall vampire. The guy had no fighting skill, and Spike staked him in less then five seconds.

Two other vamps tried to grab Spike. Spike just stepped pulled up a crossbow and shot the one coming at him from the right, and hurled his stake at the one on the left. The girl and the last three vamps just watched in shock.

“Now either you all apologize to the nice lady for friend’s rude comments or you can all bloody well join him. So which of you three feel like being ash tonight, hum?”

Two vampires started to run the other decided to leap at run at Spike, and didn’t noticed the blonde reaching into her coat to pull out a stake. He was dust before he got half a step past her. The blonde turned to look at Spike only to find an empty alley. The blonde reached back into her coat to pull out a walkie talkie.

“This is Agent Sam Finn I need extraction. We may have a problem.”

---

Andy was running through the alley away from the lunatic who’d just killed his sire, and most of his friends. God, I was just turned tonight is it too much to ask that I get maybe one easy kill? One sweet nice taste of human blood? As Andy was having that thought he ran straight into something and fell back on his ass. “Jesus Christ. Whose huge ass just got in my…” looking up as he spoke Andy saw the two big demons standing over him. One was holding an unconscious brunette who looked pretty beat up.

Just then the guy from the other alley jumped appeared again. His fist launching into the first demon with a control and quickness that he’d never seen. The second demon dropped the brunette and went to help his partner. The guy managed to keep the two off him for a minute or two, but he didn’t have a weapon. Soon he was becoming the punching bag for the two big demons. Just then something metallic flashed, and one of the demon’s head fell to the ground.

The other demon roared. “Oh, did I forget to mention the sword I had with me? Damn? Now shut up and fight you bloody ugly bugger!”

In less then a minute the second demon’s head rolled off his body. The man’s clothing was torn, and he was walking with a limp over to the unconscious woman. Who the hell was this guy? Slowly getting to his feet Andy tried to back away into the shadows, and then find a way out of the alley. The guy didn’t seem to notice or care about Andy, all his attention was focused on the girl. Andy didn’t care, for whatever reason the man was giving him a chance to get away, and Andy was not one to look a gift horse in the mouth.

---

Spike tried to refrain from laughing as the vampire went running like a scared girl in a horror film. He really should have killed the stupid bugger for being such as disgrace to vampires everywhere. But the girl needed help. The damn Faryl demons really worked her over good. Of course they did a number on him as well. Not that it matter much to him. No need for the glass tonight.

Still the girl was breathing and her pulse was steady. Spike slipped the sword back into it holding place in his coat then slipped both his arms under the girl and lifted her up. As he made his way out of the alley to the sidewalk looking for a cab, Spike found himself walking straight into big old Chicago cop hassling a black kid. The man looked up at Spike and the girl as if they had some how walk off an alien ship.

“No I don’t need any help. Please just stand there looking like fucking idiot.”

The kid started laughing. “You got a smart mouth,” the cop said to Spike.

“And you are still dumber then shit. Now call the god damn Ambulance you bloody tosser!”

---

Angelic woke as to the sounds of an ambulance arriving, and a big fat cop arguing with a lightly brown haired man. The man looked almost as battered as her, and from her weeks of training with her watcher could tell he was favoring his left side. Did he fight the two Faryls that came after me? How is he alive? Remember his face. I have to remember his face.

“Okay, she’s stable. Get her out of here!” as a blonde paramedic reached back and closed the doors. She would wake at the hospital nine hours later, and her first thought was, “remember his face.”