Part 2:

Andrew waited as Buffy listened to Giles on the phone. He wasn’t looking forward to another apocalyptic battle. He’d had his fill of those in Sunnydale. Or maybe he was just overreacting, maybe Giles just wanted Buffy to go collect another new slayer, or even better maybe Giles had found out about Spike’s return and decided to tell Buffy. Then he wouldn’t be blamed for Buffy finding out that Spike was back. Then they could go get Spike and bring him home.

Just then Buffy nodded, and slammed the receiver down. “Damn it!”

“Buffy?”

“Something is going on with Angel in L.A., Giles just got a call from the witches Coven. One of their seers say something bad happening in L.A. Dawn want you to get a hold of Xander see if he said Willow was coming into Rome this weekend or next weekend. Then go pick him up and get him over here, okay?”

“Gotcha.” Dawn said as she pulled out her cellphone, and grabbed the car keys. She was out the door before Andrew even realized she was gone.

“Andrew? Andrew!”

“Ahhh, yeah what do you want me to do?”

“I want you to call the most experienced of the other slayers, and get them here. If we are going into L.A. we are going in with numbers.”

“Yeah, okay.”

Walking away slowly Andrew began mutter to himself without really realizing it. “Oh, Spike Great Hero, what horrible evil has grabbed you now?”

To late he realized Buffy might have heard him, “What did you say Andrew?”

“Ahh, nothing. I said nothing Buffy.” Looking around quickly Andrew decided to make a dash for exit, and get out of the apartment. He moved quickly, with determination, and faster then when the highschool bullies had chased him to give him wedgies. It was a beautiful dash, worthy of poetry, and totally and utterly futile. Buffy was on him before he got more then a couple of steps.

“Andrew I don’t like liars. In fact I find interesting ways to punish liars, like say ohh making sure liars don’t get to be watchers? Now, I just heard you say something extremely creepy about Spike?”

No, I promised. I must be brave. Spike would be brave. I must not crack.“My lips are sealed. No amount of pain or torture or…”

“Tell me Andrew or I go get Dawn.”

“No! Please anything but that! Okay I’ll tell I’ll tell!”

Buffy just smiled.

---

Dawn sighed as she walked back through the entrance to the apartment. Traffic in Rome was a nightmare that made L.A. look easy. Even so it should not have taken her over and hour to get Xander back to Buffy. Of course how could she know that Kennedy and Willow would just then be arriving at Xander’s. She’d hoped that Willow would have dumped the motormouth young slayer by now, but it seemed the two were sticking together, Tara to Kennedy, what a drop off.

“Andrew?! Buffy?! I’m back.”

It was only then that Dawn realized that the lights were turned off. What the hell is going on? Dawn thought. Moving quickly to turn on the lights, Dawn gave the apartment a quick once over to see if something had happened as she was doing this Willow and Xander joined her in the Apartment. “Dawnie, how do you get up those stairs so fast? I mean are you sure no you have no slayer abilities.”

“Nagh, you’re just getting old Xander.”

“Old? Old! Blagh. I am Xander I will never get old.”

“Hey, Dawn where’s Buffy?”

“I’m not sure,” Dawn answered. Just then the loud sound of something banging caused everyone’s attention to head straight to closet. Moving quickly Xander and Kennedy opened the closet door expecting anything, or at least they thought anything. But in all probability no one expected to see Andrew trussed up in duck tape like a turkey.

“Dawn, I know Andrew is annoying but really keeping a guy like this is just cruel.”

“Don’t make me hurt you Xander,” Dawn fired back as she ripped the duck tape off of Andrew’s mouth, “Andrew what the hell is going on?”

“Buffy,” Andrew answered gasping for breath.

Showing some concern Kennedy was the next to speak, “What?”

“Andrew what happened to Buffy?” Willow asked.

“She’s gone.”

“What the hell?”

Ignoring Xander’s comment Dawn tried to get Andrew to focus on her. “Where did Buffy go?”

“L.A.” Andrew answered in between gasping breaths.

“So she decided to go see Angel?”

Andrew just shook his head. As much mysteries as seemed to be surrounding his current situation, he still had one more shock to throw at the scoobies. “No. Not Angel. She’s going to see Spike.”

Everyone just stopped. Silenced by what his words implied. Xander was the first to speak. “Oh, go-se.”

---

Spike spoke the last line of his poem. The one that more then a hundred years ago had be the impetuous for his turning into a vampire. ‘Effulgent’ he wondered how many people were sitting out there and going, ‘effulgent? That’s not a real word.’ Angel said live today like it’s your last. Already did that and I have no desire to replace that memory, to replace her. She may never love me, but I will make sure this world last long enough for her to find someone she can love, Spike thought, love’s bitch soul or no soul.

Spike longed for the release, and comfort of the woman that had captured his heart. But like a walk in daylight it was something he knew he would never have. He wouldn’t have much more time. Soon he would have to go meet Angel and the others. Soon he would have to fight a battle that even if he survived would condemn him. The Senior Partners would have to kill them all for what they were about to do.

He had done terrible, terrible things in his life, but for the last couple of years had tried to make up for them. Yet, Angel was right. Their really was no redemption for the things they had done, and maybe just maybe when this was all over the Senior Partners or Powers that Be would finally let him die.

---

Buffy cursed the pain in the ass customs in New York as she began looking for a cab outside of LAX. That had almost caused her to miss her flight to L.A., and she was not going to miss this. Angel. Angel had to have been the one to convince Spike not to comeback to her. Oh, was he going to get a piece of her mind. Not that Spike would get off easy. No she would definitely make sure that Spike got an earful. How dare he not let her know he was alive? Did he not believe she cared enough about him to care that he was alive? Did he really not believe it when I said “I love you”?

Just then Buffy found a cab. But just as she was getting in the cab, Buffy could have sworn she heard a dragon.