Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: I own absolutely nothing.
I'll tell you something
I am a wolf but
I like to wear sheep's clothing

I am a bonfire
I am a vampire
I'm waiting for my moment
- “Temptation Waits” by Garbage

She was bored.

In all the years she'd walked this planet she'd found that boredom was her least favorite emotion, if you could call it that. When you've been alive as long as she had you learned that certain things made it worth existing. Excitement was one of those things.

How to go about finding some excitement though? The whole evil thing had gotten very boring. Too easy, too expected, and completely unoriginal. She needed a new kind of excitement, the kind that came from being a hero, fighting the good fight. She just needed a little help in the right direction. Something heroic for her to do.

The Watchers' Council, she had decided. The stuffy British cult could always be depended on for some entertainment of the heroic, evil fighting kind. And indeed they had pulled through, there was some hellmouth or something that needed guarding or protecting or something. It didn't surprise her really; she knew beforehand that anything they had for her to do would involve some sort of world saving but it wasn't like she had anything better to do. Besides, saving the world counted as heroic right?

Over the thousands of years she'd been around she had encountered the Watchers’ Council and their tools, the Slayers, enough times to know what they were all about. She had even been mistaken as a slayer several times. Then again she had also been mistaken as a vampire on more than a few occasions. Sometimes it amused her, the mortals’ need to classify every being. For most people everything needed to be either black or white, and she was a shade of grey they just couldn’t fathom.

Sure she drank blood and never aged but she could walk in sunshine without discomfort. Holy water and crosses didn’t hurt her, a stake in the heart sure hurt a hell of a lot but she wouldn’t turn to dust. She wasn’t sure if she’d survive being burned alive, and she’d never been beheaded, but she hoped to never try it. She was also pretty sure that she still had her soul. Whatever that meant.

She’d seen too many things to accept anything at face value, and all the talk about souls just didn’t make sense to her. She’d seen enough things with “souls” do terrible things that the concept was just a little hard for her to believe. Besides, Slayers, the things of good and righteousness were part demon, so just how pure could they really be?

The truth was that she had originated similarly to the first of the Slayer line. Same old story, demons walked the earth, people needed saving, silly shamans tried to mess with things they had no business messing with, and poof she became what she was today.

Super strong with heightened senses, a taste for blood, and a pulse. There was also the little thing where she never got any older. She was her own person though, unlike the slayers. She didn’t have to worry about reporting to anyone else. She did what she wished when she wished. She killed humans and demons alike although usually not for pleasure, not for while. It wasn’t that she had no conscious, she felt remorse and love and anger, the whole spectrum of human emotions, she just had the ability to see beyond all of that.

At the beginning of her existence she had done the whole death and destruction thing. As time went on though, she came to realize that she was rather fond of those silly little humans. It might have been the fact that she had once been one, or maybe it was the way they kept trying even when it looked like they’d fucked up beyond repair. Whatever it was she had decided that maybe it’d be kinda fun to try to help them for a change.

So here she was in southern California in the small town of Sunnydale a.k.a. the Hellmouth a.k.a. land of badness etc. Today was her first day of school. She had decided it would be best to begin life in this town at a younger age so she could stay longer if needed. The whole not aging thing had its drawbacks, after about five years in a place her perpetual youth began to look suspicious. She was twenty two when she had become what she was, but she could pass anywhere from sixteen to twenty six with help from clothing and hairstyle.

None of that mattered now though. Now she was Buffy Summers, sixteen year old sophomore at Sunnydale High. She liked shopping and cheerleading and butchering the English language. She had her blonde hair styled in the latest fashion and looked the part of fashion-conscious teenager, from the tips of her pointy black stiletto shoes to the ends of her dangly crystal earrings. High school, get ready cause it’s gonna be a wild two and a half years.

Money wasn’t ever really a problem for her. Over the years she had managed to accumulate a lot of wealth, and with the help of her not so trustworthy law firm, Wolfram and Hart, the wealth kept growing. She really did need to do something about them though, not exactly world friendly and if she was gonna go all noble she might as well go all the way. That was a project for later though, right now she needed to concentrate on her Hellmouth.

‘Let the fun begin’ she thought with a smile as she walked up the steps to the school. She was so focused on her new purpose that she didn’t notice what was going on around her. Not even when the dark haired boy on the skateboard, who had stared mesmerized after her, ran into the stair railing or when the redheaded girl came to his side to help him up.