Author's Chapter Notes:
The teacher's lines and most of the concept about how Cordelia and Buffy meet are taken from the episode Welcome to the Hellmouth. Joss is god.

I couldn't resist that line in there about Daniel Tosh. If it makes it sound stupid or if you think I should just cut it let me know. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Added that bit about Xander at the end so I could tie it in with the next chapter.
First class, history. ‘This should be interesting,’ she thought with a wry smile.

She managed to make it in the class and into an empty seat next to an attractive brunette girl just as the bell rang. She flashed the girl a brilliant smile and was about to speak when the teacher went to the board and began to write. The Black Death, what an unlovely time. She rather preferred Roman times, more sanitary, and there were orgies. Ah, orgies. She dozed off for a while lost in memories until the teacher addressed the class again.

“It's estimated that about twenty-five million people died in that one four-year span,” began the teacher. Buffy was reminded how glad she had been at the time not to be a mortal. Plague wasn’t exactly the nicest way to die. “But the fun part of the Black Plague is that it originated in Europe how?”

Buffy couldn’t help but notice the complete lack of interest. “As an early form of germ warfare. If you'll look at the map on page sixty-three you can trace the spread of the disease into Rome, and then north...,” continued the teacher. Buffy’s lack of book was a definite problem and she looked around for help. The brunette noticed and slid the book over for Buffy to share.

Buffy flashed the girl another smile. “Thanks.”

The teacher looked about to continue on when the bell finally rang signaling their release. Buffy and the brunette stood up together and made there way to the door.

“I’m Cordelia,” the brunette offered.

“Buffy,” the blonde replied.

“I pretty much run things around here,” explained Cordelia. “You’ll be fine as long as you’re with me. I heard that you’re from L.A. and judging by the way you’re dressed you’re cool enough to hang out with me.”

Buffy internally rolled her eyes. Teenagers were so shallow and stupid. On the outside however she smiled brightly, no need to attract unfavorable attention. “Sounds great,” she chirped enthusiastically.

“Great,” replied Cordelia as the made their way down the hall. “You should so come to the Bronze tonight and meet the rest of the group. The Bronze is like the coolest place to hang out in Sunnydale. Everybody goes there. Even losers unfortunately. Speaking of which…” she continued turning to a redheaded girl by the drinking fountain.

“Wow Willow, that is like the cutest dress I’ve ever seen,” Cordelia gushed in the most insincere voice Buffy had ever heard. “It must have cost a whole five dollars at Goodwill.”

The redhead turned a shade that matched her hair and scurried away. Buffy felt a surge of anger at Cordelia, she had never been especially fond of bullies. In fact most of the humans she had killed had been people who weren’t very nice.

Luckily they were just in front of the library so Buffy had an excuse to get away from her new “friend”.

“So I’ll meet you at the Bronze tonight. I’ve gotta check out the library and get some books for classes,” explained Buffy as she parted ways with Cordelia.

“Alright, remember to dress in something hot, this is a club,” reminded Cordelia before she continued on her way.

Buffy made her way through the doors into the deserted room. The lack of people was obvious by the eerie quietness. She also noticed thin layers of dust on a few stacks of books. “And they say kids never read anymore,” she muttered sarcastically.

“Hello. Anybody home?” she called out. If not for her super senses she would’ve been startled by the sudden popping up of a head behind the counter.

“Oh hello there,” greeted an older man with a British accent. He studied her for a second before adding, “You must be Buffy Summers.”

“Wow news travels fast around here,” she acknowledged.

“Yes well Sunnydale is a small town,” he admitted. “I’m the librarian by the way. Rupert Giles.”

Buffy was about to remark on the obviousness of him being the librarian when his name hit her. She knew a Rupert Giles, but from where? Her eyes narrowed slightly before returning widening in recognition. Before contacting the council she had made a point of familiarizing herself with each and every member of the organization. She had known that they’d pull something like this but that didn’t keep it from angering her.

“I’m very disappointed,” she began in an icy tone. Giles looked taken aback. “By the Council’s apparent lack of faith in me. I haven’t even been here one day and already they decide that I am in need of a babysitter.”

“I b-beg your pardon,” replied Giles who was obviously flustered.

“As you should,” she answered harshly. “I may look young and naïve, Mr. Giles, but I have been here a great deal longer than the council and I will be here long after they are gone. Keep in mind that I am doing this because I want to. I am not one of your little pet slayers that will do whatever they are told. You are not in charge. The sooner you understand this the sooner we can get to work. Got it?” she asked. Giles, wide eyed, nodded his head in understanding.

“Super,” she continued in her peppy teenage voice. “So what’s a girl gotta do around this place to find some baddies to kill?”

“W-well I, uh, I do believe th-that m-most d-demons, uh, prefer to h-hang out at th-the Bronze,” stuttered Giles who was obviously not over his shock at her previous behavior.

“Calm down cracker this ain’t a rally,” exclaimed Buffy before bursting into laughter. Giles gave her a funny look and waited for her to calm down. Finally after about five minutes she was able to speak.

“Sorry, it’s just that there’s this hilarious comedian guy named Daniel Tosh right and that line was part of his act and it just seemed so appropriate and…,” taking in Gile’s frown she cut herself off. “Right, so Bronze it is then.”

Buffy was so focused on Giles that she hadn't noticed the brunette boy that had come and gone during their discussion.