CHAPTER 2 --

Spike paced across the wood floor of his apartment. He felt like all he’d done in the past ten hours was talk on the phone with no progress. His current conversation was with the brick wall that was Rupert Giles.

“How the bloody hell should I know where he is Dad? Doesn’t Jenny know? I don’t know.” Spike stared across the room at the little girl sitting in the corner in front of the television. The Disney Channel flickered across the screen -- a channel Spike didn’t even know existed until a couple hours ago when he was searching for something suitable for a three year old. She had fallen asleep on the car ride home and had only recently woke up. She now clutched a doll to her chest. “She’s just sitting here, dad,” he whispered into the phone, like she was some alien martian come down from space that he didn’t want to alert.

With all he knew about kids, she might as well have been.

A more refined British accent echoed through the phone, “Well until we can find another solution you have some decisions to make. You cannot raise a child in L.A,” he admonished.

“Who said anything about raising her?” Spike asked his father.

“Spike, when you agreed to take the child in, you agreed to take the place of her father, even if it is only for the time being. But I think you would agree that it would be best at this time to think long term.”

“Angel was raising her in this city, why can’t I?” Spike fought, unwilling to have this kid completely disrupt his life and uproot him altogether.

“I don’t know if you can call what Angel was doing a proper job. He always had his priorities . . . askew.”

“And here I always thought you said I was the irresponsible one,” Spike grumbled, continuing to prowl a safe distance away from the baby.

“When it comes to women, yes, but you have always, shall I say ‘stepped up to the plate’ when called upon. And we are counting on you now, William,” his father pleaded. “Being in England, neither Jenny nor myself can be there to help you.”

“Dad, I have a job! I have a life!”

“And now you have a child who needs to begin preschool in the fall,” Giles stated firmly.

“I had to take her! They would have put her in some foster home if I hadn’t!”

“And right there you have shown more concern for this child’s well-being than her own father -- proving you a more suitable guardian. You write novels, William, you can do that anywhere.”

His father’s comment on his job, just made him anger more, “But my editor is in L.A.!”

“If I have learned nothing from your stepmother in the fifteen years we’ve been married, it is the power of the computer. E-mail, Will, use it.”

“Dad, I think we’re missing the point, that being what do I know about raising a kid?”

“I’m sure if you put your mind to it you will find yourself more than capable.”

“She wasn’t left with an instruction manual dad, all Angel left her with was a bag of clothes and a couple dolls.” In his frustration, Spike’s voice raised and he swung at the papers stacked on his table -- the outlines of his newest novel. The baby raised her head in alarm. Spike quickly shot her a smile that didn’t quite reach his eyes in order to not upset her. The child didn’t seem any more convinced than he was.

“I’m afraid to touch her -- like I’m going to break her,” Spike said miserably.

“I assure you that you won’t.” Giles seem to reconsider, “On second thought, perhaps you should hire a nanny.”

“I can handle it,” Spike growled, never in his life having accepted help from outsiders before. And if his dad knew how to rile him up, it was in suggesting that Spike had an inability to do something himself. “I have dealt with fussy publishers and fought with editors. I think I can handle a three year old.”

“Well,” Giles stated, satisfied, “That was a quick about-face. Now,” he began, not planning on leaving his son with no hints whatsoever, “the last time I talked to Angel, Lisa was more or less trained to use the bathroom but was still wearing training pants in case of accidents. Have you checked her diaper?”

“Her what!?” Spike sputtered, “You can’t expect me to . . . I’ve never . . .” Spike sighed in defeat, “okay I’m on it.”

“Now, I’ve talked to a friend of mine. A Joyce Summers. She’s helped Jenny and I acquire some rather rare art. She lives only a few hours away . . .” Spike heard a rustling of papers on the England end, “place called Sunnydale,” Giles read off a scrap of paper. “Well,” his father stated brightly, “that sounds like a lovely place does it not?”

Spike refrained from telling his father just what he really thought of a place called, of all things, Sunnydale.

“She’s raised two daughters there quite successfully and I’m sure would be more than eager to help you. There are some homes available nearby, all within walking distance of the local elementary school.”

“Dad, for the last time -- I am not moving!”


TWO WEEKS LATER . . .

Spike stood outside the modest two floor, two bedroom, two bathroom home, squinting his eyes against the sun.

A home that was now his.

And Lisa’s, temporarily.

The baby in question, who had been content to wonder around the home’s perimeters, chasing butterflies that escaped from what was left of the previous owner’s garden, came to rest beside him.

Scooping up his niece, Spike moved his free hand to her forehead, shielding her delicate eyes from the morning rays.

The movers had hauled in the last of the boxes and had left Spike and Lisa in the yard to face the intimidating house alone.

Spike looked down at the baby in his arms before looking back up at the house looming over them.

Spike sighed, “Home sweet home.”

TBC