CHAPTER 4 --

Buffy leaned across the booth, “So when is your mommy and daddy coming to get you?”

Lisa shrugged her shoulders, using her fork like a spear to stab the pieces of pancake Spike cut for her and scoop them into her mouth.

“No,” Spike intervened, “Mommy and Daddy took a little trip, so we’re flat mates for awhile, aren’t we luv?” he brushed her licorice hair away from her chubby cheeks so she wouldn’t get syrup in the silky strands.

His tone and the reaction of the little girl told Buffy there was much more to this story, but it was none of her business so she didn’t pry.

For the past half hour, Buffy had let herself become enraptured by the interaction between uncle and niece, smiling as Spike showed Lisa how to blow bubbles in her chocolate milk and how Lisa swung her legs excitedly under the table as she explained to her and Spike the picture she had drawn on the back of the paper placemat with the crayons the waitress had given her.

Just then a inflatable toy store ball bounced across the floor next to them. “There’s a ball!” Lisa exclaimed in delight, all bright innocence and sweetness.

Spike leaned into his niece, “Yes, sweetheart, that’s a ball. What color’s that ball?”

“Blue!” she exclaimed, drawling out the L-sound and bending at the waist, straining in Spike’s arms to reach the toy.

“That’s good, baby!” Spike praised. He had learned quickly that once Lisa had started talking to him, the idea was to keep her talking, even if it was through the simplest of questions. Now, three weeks together, they had a fairly easy report most days. Spike even prided himself on his newfound ability to decode Lisa’s toddler speak and fragmented sentences.

Seconds later a small chocolate lab went scurrying across the floor, its paws sliding on the tile of the floor as it chased after the ball. Lisa gasped in surprise, popping up in her seat to watch the puppy continue through the restaurant.

“You wanna go play with him?” Buffy asked the bouncing child.

Lisa nodded emphatically, her eyes never leaving the playing dog.

Spike’s grip tightened on his niece, eyeing Buffy warily.

“It’ll be okay,” she assured him, “It’s the owner’s dog, kids play with him all the time.”

Reluctantly, Spike grasped Lisa around her waist, lifting her up and over his head, eliciting riotous giggles from her, before setting her feet on the floor next to the table.

Spike and Buffy watched as she cautiously approached the friendly puppy, who sniffed around the baby and welcomed her gentle petting.

“Where are you two originally from?” Buffy asked, forcing Spike to tear his eyes away from Lisa, although looking at Buffy was no real chore for him.

“Los Angeles,” he answered.

Her eyes widened, “Oh, wow. Sunnydale’s a little different, huh? Did you find a job around here?” she inquired.

“Actually, I still have the same job. I’m a writer. And, as my dad likes to remind me, I can do it from anywhere. So, what about you, luv? You said you cut through the park on the way home from work?”

“An art gallery,” she filled in. “It’s owned by my mother actually. So she gets to boss me around both at work and at home. Someday I’d like to partially own it.”

“I’m sure you will,” he answered confidently.

She tried to control her blush. “You’re very good with her,” she commented, nodding toward Lisa.

Spike shrugged, “Life threw us a little curve and we’re learning to deal.” He hesitated, not sure whether he wanted to delve into the reason he and Lisa were so far from home. He made the decision and hoped it was the right one. “Lisa’s father, my step-brother, abandoned her a couple weeks ago.”

Buffy gasped, “Oh my god,” her heart breaking for the little girl she was already so fond of. Spike went on to fill in Buffy with the whole story. He didn’t make a habit of telling random strangers his life story, but it was somehow different with Buffy and it felt good to talk about it, whereas before he felt as if he was stranded alone in this.

All too soon it was time for Lisa’s nap and Buffy to get back to work. They stood together outside the diner.

“Bye, Lisa,” Buffy knelt down to her new friend. “Sunnydale’s a pretty small place, I’m sure I’ll be seeing you around.”

Lisa catapulted herself into Buffy’s arms, wrapping her in a tight hug. The reaction startled both Buffy and Spike, but the gesture wasn’t unwelcome and Buffy stood up with Lisa in her arms.

“Now you listen to your Uncle Spike, okay? He may seem pretty clueless sometimes, but he’s doing his best.” Spike smiled and Lisa nodded obediently.

Buffy placed Lisa on her feet, who seemed a bit reluctant to see Buffy go, which made Spike even more hesitant than he already was to break up their little group. Wasn’t it dogs and children that were usually abnormally good judges of character?

As he watched Buffy disappear around the corner, something occurred to Spike.

He never got her last name.

TBC