Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey, I recently lost my beta -- peculiar_being caught me on Dark City! : ) Anywho, if you are interested in betaing this story (or any of my other stories) Please e-mail me (bondgirl0018@cs.com) and tell me which one you want. I really just need someone to check grammar sorts of things, but any suggestions are helpful. A quick turn-around rate would be good, as I have a tendency to be slow on the updating, so the beta-ing gotta be quick. Thanks for all the support!
CHAPTER 6 –

Later that evening, Buffy escorted Spike, with a sleeping Lisa in his arms, onto the porch to say goodnight. After she had managed to cease her spaziness and relax around Spike, Buffy had had a great day with the little girl; running around the house, sharing toys and dolls with her that her mother was saving (as she kept reminding Buffy) for future grandchildren. While Spike and her mother had conversed in the other room, discussing schools, playgrounds, and available daycare, Buffy had more than willingly taken over the job as playmate for the day. At Lisa’s eagerness to join up with Buffy, Spike had made the joke that Lisa was more than excited to stare at someone else other than him for the day.

Most of Buffy’s memories of growing up with a little sister were of fighting over one thing or another. It was amazing to actually enjoy a kid. Buffy’s feelings were indescribable when, after banging her toe on a doorframe, a tearful Lisa had let Buffy be the one to comfort her. Although Buffy still thought it was adorable when a tired Lisa would automatically reach out for Spike and he’d scoop her up attentively, reigning tiny kisses on her head.

Despite the competence Spike obviously had with the current situation with Lisa, it was apparent that he was not the type who had been dreaming of kids before his niece was thrust upon him. He was still jumpy and easily distracted when he heard a noise he thought might be Lisa. Buffy in particular found it kind of sweet, the way he constantly checked up on her while running around the house and yard with Buffy. At one point, after his fifth time checking in and getting a queer look from Buffy, he’d even apologized, saying it wasn’t that he didn’t trust her with Lisa, it was just his apparent paranoia he never knew he had and had a hard time controlling. He fumbled with his words all while running his fingers nervously through his hair, further breaking out the curls he shared with his niece.

Now, on the porch, he rocked on his feet nervously. “Buffy,” Spike began, “I wanted to ask you something, sort of a favor, though I hope you won’t see it as that.”

“What?” Buffy asked, as she reached out to rub her hand over Lisa’s back soothingly. She had done it subconsciously, and Spike didn’t seem to mind.

“It’s . . . well, it was Lisa’s birthday was just before I got her. In the confusion, I’m sure my brother did nothing for her. She turned three. I wanted to do something for her and . . . I know she’d want you to be there. It’s nothing big, just a small group of us. My dad and step-mom are probably coming over from London too. And the invitation’s extended to your mum and little sis, of course.”

“What’s the theme?” Buffy inquired, intent on being there.

Spike’s brows knitted together, “Theme?”

“For the party, there has to be a theme,” she informed him. “The table cloth, the plates, the cake . . . .”

“There has to be a theme? Hadn’t really thought about that.”

Buffy laughed at his perplexed look, “Haven’t you ever been to a little kid’s birthday party?”

“Not since I was five,” he answered, looking at her as she giggled. God she was beautiful. It was probably pretty presumptuous of him to think she’d go out with him. She was just being nice, helping out her mother’s charity case.

Buffy tried to imagine him at a little kid’s birthday party. Once Lisa started school, there would be no end to the parties and get-togethers having a young child demanded. He was going to need some help. “Well, what does she like?”

He thought a minute, “She has a Raggedy Anne doll that she refuses to hand over, even when it’s dirty. She got chocolate pudding all over it the other day . . . had to sneak it from her while she was sleeping in order to wash it.”

Buffy smiled, “Well, your in luck because Raggedy Anne is coming back into favor so that should be easy enough to find. If you want I can come with you. We could even take her along and let her pick it out herself in case she sees something else she like better.”

Spike was surprised, yet grateful, “That would be fantastic, luv, thanks.”

Neither of them seemed particularly eager to get off the porch, and Buffy was content simply being there in the cool night with him, standing close and talking quietly with only the crickets as background noise. “You’re very good with her,” she told him, staring at his face. His eyes were a riveting shade of blue. It was a shame Lisa wasn’t blood related to him and had inherited the secondary trait of her uncle’s.

She really shouldn’t be having these thoughts. He had other things on his mind more important. He hadn’t mentioned having a girlfriend back in L.A. and Buffy had assumed he didn’t have one. Who knew? Maybe there was some L.A. fake-baked hussy waiting to step into the mommy role for Lisa? The thought of it made Buffy queasy. He deserved better. Her maybe?

Spike shrugged, “Yeah, well, as a playmate, maybe. I can’t even think of what I’m going to do if I ever have to discipline her. I just can’t imagine myself ever scolding her. Not with the circumstances. Every action she does in her life will be warranted because her father, and mother, didn’t want her.”

“Well the fact that you care so much about her to think that way just shows how lucky she is that she has you.” She smiled softly. Hesitating for just a moment, she lifted on to tiptoes to kiss him on the cheek. “I think you’ll be amazing,” she whispered, ignoring his shocked look. “Goodnight,” she said, turning back into the house and shutting the door quietly.


____________________________________


Spike had contemplated mentioning the kiss the next morning on the phone with Buffy. But why complicate such a beautiful moment? Instead, he stayed focused on concreting plans to pick her up and for the three of them go to the local toy store for party supplies and some early birthday gifts.

The breeze traveling though the vast store hit them as the automatic doors slid open. The three of them stood in the entrance. Spike looked down to Lisa, who was holding each of their hands, eyes dancing around the five foot plush animals and ten foot high Barbie wall that surrounded them.

“Okay, kid, go wild,” Spike told Lisa, loosening his grip on her hand.

If anything, Lisa tightened her hold. Unattended children Lisa’s age and older ran amok up and down the aisleways, screaming, laughing, and crying. Lisa shifted back and just stood there, completely unsure.

“Never been to a toy store, I see,” Spike remarked, not wanting to force anything on her, but convinced this was an experience she had to have. Hell, just seeing the aisle with screen after screen of the newest video games had made him giddy.

“I think she needs a lead to follow,” Buffy suggested, looking to Spike.

“Alright,” Spike answered gamely. “Come on,” he let go of Lisa’s hand and grabbed Buffy’s, dragging her a few steps away to an array of hoola-hoops, large bouncing balls, and pogo sticks that lay abandoned on the floor.

Picking up a pogo stick, Spike took a moment to get his balance then boosted himself on, completing two and a half successful bounces before stumbling off. Lisa giggled a little at his almost fall. Buffy, seeing where he was going with this, retrieved a hoola-hoop. Not having attempted hoola-hooping since she wore pigtails, she was fully aware she was most likely about to make an idiot out of herself. And it was great.

Buffy impressed even herself by completing six or so rotations around her hips before the rainbow toy fell to the floor with a rattle. Lisa was transfixed and cautiously approached a pink hoola-hoop, almost as tall as her. After unsuccessfully trying to imitate Buffy, she improvised by using the hoop as a sort of jump rope. Laughing as she clumsily leapt around the plastic circle. Spike did her one better by taking up another ring and spinning it wildly around the floor where it rotated until crashing into a tall container of Juicy Fruits.

Lisa quickly tired of the toy and, now hyper, whipped her head around, long curls bouncing.

“Barbie! Uncle Spike! Barbie!” She didn’t even bother looking back at her uncle as she booked it to the gigantic wall of solid distinct hot pink.

“Oh, so it begins,” Spike remarked, following behind next to Buffy. “I thought I could put off turning my home into naked Barbie land for a few more years.”

Buffy laughed. “Every girl needs Barbie!” she jokingly squealed in a girlish voice. “Come on, Uncle Spike.” She yanked on his arm until stumbled forward. Grinning, he swept her clean off her feet, throwing her around until she straddled him “piggyback” style. She laughed, pointing the where Lisa stood riffling through the dolls and he took off after her.

TBC