Author’s Note: This is a AU story based on an early 5th season. Joyce is still alive, but neither Glory nor Riley ’exist’. If anything seems out of place, I’ve probably chosen to ignore it, as I’ve pretty much chucked canon out the window. If that bothers you, please consider yourself warned. I’d also like to give a big, big thanks to my beta, Kit, who gave me lots of good ideas and helpful positive feedback. Thanks tons--couldn’t have done it without you!!


Disclaimer: I do not own any of these characters (pooh!)--I’ve only borrowed them for my perverse writing pleasure. I’m also aware that I’m ‘borrowing’ the title of my fic from Michael Ondaatje--please don’t sue, it was just the best title for my story...


Feedback: Yes please! No flames, though--remember what your mother told you: “If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.” However, constructive criticism is always welcome...


 


“Buffy, are you sure you don’t want to come with us? I just don’t feel right about leaving you alone.” Joyce Summers turned to the eldest of her two daughters and gave her an anxious look.


Buffy rolled her eyes.


“Mom, we’ve been through this every day for two weeks now. There’s nothing I want more than to enjoy a little solitude this weekend. Anyway, I can’t just go away--I’m the Slayer. It’s not like I can hire a temp to take my place if I want to take a break. Although that would be nice wouldn’t it? Maybe I should place an ad in the paper. What do you think: Enjoy working the night shift? Want to get in shape quick? Ready and willing to do some good deeds? Boy, have we got a job for you!”


Joyce smiled and shook her head as Buffy helped her take her suitcase downstairs to where her youngest daughter was waiting.


“I still don’t understand why she doesn’t have to come. I mean--I don’t have a choice, do I? You let her do anything just because she’s the Slayer. It’s not fair!”


Dawn’s whining had been going on since the first thing that morning. “If I wanted to stay home alone, you wouldn’t hear of it. Of course not, I’m not old enough, not slayer-y enough--”


“Dawn!” Joyce cut her short. “I don’t know why you’re being so difficult about coming on this trip--it was your idea, after all. You’ve been after me for a year now to go to LA for a weekend, and you’re finally getting your way. Your sister’s old enough to stay on her own, and if I say that she’s allowed to that’s my word and it’s final.” She gave Dawn one of those patented this-discussion-is-now-over looks, and walked to the window.


Buffy took this opportunity to display her maturity and stuck her tongue out at her little sister. Dawn responded by flipping her the finger. Their little exchange was interrupted by the sound of honking.


Joyce parted the curtain and peered outside. “Well, I guess that would be our ride.” She picked up her suitcase and signalled for Dawn to do the same.


Buffy had to stifle a giggle as she watched her sister try to juggle the numerous bags that, Dawn had insisted, were “essential to this trip”.


The young woman reminded her of those people she had seen on the Discovery Channel, who lugged rich people’s luggage up the Himalayas.


“Why don’t you help me instead of just staring at me?”


She shook out of her reverie to see her sister glaring at her. She gave in and picked up more luggage than a girl her size should be able to carry. Guess that slayer strength did have perks other than being able to beat up demons.


“Ok, fine. Not my fault you need three bags for all your makeup.” The last bag she picked up weighed a ton. “What, did you bring your entire wardrobe? What the heck is in here, anyway?”


“That’s none of your business! Stop being so nosy, and just carry it out.”


Buffy snorted in response, but carried the heavy bag out anyway.


The Slayer helped the driver fit the luggage into the trunk of his car. It reminded her of those puzzles Giles made her work on to develop the logical side of her slayer abilities. “Now Buffy, I want you to take these 10 shapes and work them around until they all fit inside this box.”


When the luggage was successfully put away, she turned to her mother. “Mom, I want you to have a wonderful time, and I don’t want you to worry about me. I’ll be fine. Anyway, long weekends can be a bit dead, no pun intended; I’ll sit back and enjoy some quiet time on my own.”


Joyce opened the door to the taxi and sat down. “I know dear, but I still can’t help but worry. Just make sure you don’t patrol alone. And make sure that you always have a spare stake, in case you lose the one you’re holding. And--” Buffy leaned in, hugged her mom, punched her sister in the arm (in a big-sisterly fashion) and closed the door.


“I’ll be fine,” she mouthed, one last time, as the car pulled out of the driveway.


She stood there, rooted in place, and kept waving until they were out of sight. As the taxi disappeared from sight, Buffy sighed and turned to the house. *A whole weekend. No Mom. No Dawn.*


She grinned widely. This was going to be the best long weekend ever.