CHAPTER 2
AN UNCOVERED BET



“See ya pet, when can I see you again?” he asked before he left

“Same place at 10pm Friday!” she answered

“ Okay it’s a date” he said and smiled.

She walked down her street; Spike was still staring at her. This is so good; she swung her hips when she walked almost painfully. She turned again and he was gone. She took another glance and ran up her driveway and into her garage. Buffy avoided all the squeaks and made it to her room without klutzing out. Moments later she had gotten in to her pyjama’s and went to sleep. Reliving the kiss with Spike Giles. For the first time in months she slept soundly.

Spike left Buffy on the street. For gods sake he had kissed her, he didn’t even know her, plus he had just broken up with Dru. What was he thinking? There was just something about her he couldn’t fight. Spike headed for the arcade. Angel was working the ten till two shift and knew would want to hear about what happened with Buffy

“Hello Peaches” Spike called knowing how much Angel hated that nick name Spike had given him. Angel’s eyes said it all.

“So how’s four eyes”

“Yeah first contact was made and she basically told me to f-off. I’m really going to enjoy screwing with her head,” they laughed hysterically.

“So I tries to ring you earlier tonight and your mum said you were out”

“Yeah I went to that new club called ILIOS. I met a girl called Buffy and we really hit it off. We danced and I walked her home. Let me tell you she did some wicked things to my senses. All I wanted to do was kiss her and never let her go” he smiled

“What did she look like?” he asked

“She was about 5’4, blonde hair that passed her arse, green eyes that had hints of silver, they were the greenest eyes I have ever seen, and that body, oh my god” Spike seemed to go into his own little world.

“Just chill” he said laughing, “ are you seeing her again?”

“Yeah Friday at the same place” Angel had never seen him smile so wide. All of his other girlfriends had one thing in common they were all sluts. Even though Angel didn’t know this girl he could tell Spike was infatuated with her.

“It’s late, see ya tomorrow” they did their handshake that they had been doing ever since they were older enough to talk. Spike left Angel to clean the arcade.



‘BEEP, BEEP, BEEP’ Buffy’s alarm woke her up.

“Aghh shit” she cried as she realised she had been sleeping through her alarm for almost an hour. Buffy’s mother (as such) was screaming at her to get up. Buffy got out of bed and quickly got ready for school. She ran downstairs grabbed her lunch and a bit of toast and ran to school. She had on her usual ugly dress and her glasses; she also wore her hair in a ponytail. She made record timing as she got to her first class as the bell went.

“Fashionably late again Miss Summers” the teacher said. It was her most hated class, chemistry. All the kids started to snigger.

“Great all the kids make fun of me and now the teachers are as well. This is going to be a long day,” she muttered under her breath. As she was starting to read her textbook a dark shadow fell over it. She always sat in the back corner away from everyone else.

“Hey Elizabeth how are you today?” Spike asked nicely

“Drop dead Spike” she replied nastily.

“What the hell is wrong with you? I am just trying to be nice,” he said getting louder

“Well in the five years of high school you have never been nice so excuse me of being suspicious about whether your intentions are honest” she said matter of factly.

“Yeah, I’m sorry for that I just want to mend some broken bridges” Buffy felt guilty for biting his head off and he did apolygise.

“Sorry Spike I am not having a very good day” she smiled and he smiled back.

“Can I share your textbook luv?”

“Okay” she smiled and to him her smiled seemed familiar but couldn’t picture where. There hands brushed which sent shivers down their spines both remembering the kiss from last night. Of course Spike didn’t realised that Buffy was Elizabeth.

They got down to doing some nitty gritty formula when she noticed that Dru hadn’t taken her eyes off Spike. He noticed and slid his arm around Buffy’s waist. Dru nearly screamed at Buffy.

“Don’t pay any attention to her, she just jealous cause I’m paying someone else some attention” he smiled.

“If your using me to get Dru jealous don’t bother, I don’t want to be caught up in your screwed up relationships.” She stated firmly.

Buffy wiped her eyes from behind her glasses and got images of the kiss with Spike. By the end of the class they were laughing at each other’s jokes and were getting into a lot of trouble with the teacher. Except all she wanted to do now was avoid him.
Buffy went to her locker to collect her books for the next class went Dru slammed her locker shut and it caught Buffy's hand in it. She screamed loudly.

“Stay away from Spike, he’s mine” Dru started to raise a fist and Buffy braced he self for the punch which never came. When she opened her eyes she saw Spike standing over Dru

“Don’t you ever think about hurting my Elizabeth again?” he yelled. Many questions were running through Buffy’s mind. After the incident Spike took Buffy to the school nurse and it was determined she would have to go home. Spike walked her home. When they got to Buffy’s street, he seemed nervous.

“What’s the matter Spike?” she asked

“Um do you happen to know a girl called Buffy, she lives on your street?” he asked

“It’s a long street Spike, I don’t know everyone, but no I don’t know a Buffy. What kind of a name is Buffy anyway?" Buffy was smiling to herself. So the rumours at school had been true, Spike had fallen for a mysterious young girl called Buffy.

“Thanks for walking me home!” she said and smiled. All of a sudden Spike kissed her on the cheek. She was still in shock as she watched Spike walk away.


FRIDAY


Buffy hadn’t gone to school for the past two days, her hand was sore and a nice shade of green. She had also received a letter from her real mother. She had sat reading it all day, she hadn’t heard from her mother in five years and now she was telling her to come home at the end of graduation so that she could take over being queen when she got there.
Buffy was looking into the night sky when she remembered he had a date with Spike. She put on her denim skirt and a top with sleeves that covered her hands. After she had showered and once again left her hair hang down it was already nine thirty. She headed down the street, through the park, pass the arcade, walked a couple of blocks and found herself at ILIOS.
“Hey Buff” Xander said as she entered the club.

“Hey” she yelled back over the music

“Faith would like a favour, could you take Anya’s place tonight. She was meant to sing but she’s sick” Xander explained

“Sure thing. When do I go on” she ask

“Three minutes” he smiled and Buffy became nervous.

She headed backstage, Faith thanked her and handed her the microphone.

“Hey Faith can you introduce me as Buffy?”

The crowd went silent as Buffy took the stage.

“Please make a warm welcome to Buffy who will be singing a song by Brian Adams called When you love someone”

When you love someone
You’ll do anything
You’ll do all the crazy things
That you can’t explain
You’ll shoot the moon
Put out the sun
When you love someone

You’ll deny the truth
Believe a lie
They’ll be times that you’ll believe
That you can really fly
But your lonely night
Have just begun
When you love someone

When you love someone
You feel it deep inside
And nothing else will ever
Change your mind
When you want someone
When you need someone
When you love someone

When you love someone
You sacrifice
Give it everything you got
And you won’t think twice
You’ll risk it all
No matter what may come

When you love someone
You’ll shoot the moon
Put out the sun
When you love someone



The music faded and the lights went out and everyone clapped and cheered. Buffy took her bow, and smiled then headed for her usual seat. The waitress brought her a bottle of water and she drank it quickly. She’d forgotten how good it was to do that.

“That was beautiful, pet,” a voice said sliding his arms around her waist and planting a kiss on her cheek. She turned around and he claimed her lips as his own and she let him. She got goose bumps where he touched her, this emotion was something new and it frightened her.

“ Hello to you too” she said after a minute of catching her breath

“ Hey did ya wanna go to the arcade instead?”

“Okay.” She responded

He took her hand and they left together. As they got to the arcade she excused herself and went to the bathroom.
“ Hey Spike” Angel called out from behind the counter “how’s the bet going” he laughed

Buffy heard and was curious.

“Elizabeth’s heart will be broken at prom. I’ll take her with me and publicly humiliate her by kissing Dru nd then I’ll throw something at her and tell her she sucks in bed” he raised his eyebrow and laughed evilly.

‘So that why you made friends with me Spike if you think your gonna break my heart you have another thing coming’ she was fighting back the tears in her eyes.

Buffy walked out and bravely put her arms around his waist and rested her chin on the back of his shoulder. He turned around and kissed her deeply. She was screaming in her head ‘YOU SON OF A BITCH’ the kissed ended and he smiled.