Chapter Twenty-one

Joyce cleared her throat loudly as she walked into the kitchen and deposited the bags she’d brought in. She made a point of rattling completely unnecessary pans until a yawning Buffy appeared in the doorway, followed shortly by an equally sleepy looking Spike.

She smiled at them briefly before suggesting that Buffy go wash her face while she fixed dinner.

“I stopped at the butcher’s, Spike,” she said with a glance at the vampire. “I was afraid we were out of blood and I didn’t want you to go hungry.”

Once again, Joyce’s habit of not treating him like the monster everyone else assumed he was, had him at a loss for words. The best he could come up with, as he stared at her with worshipful eyes was a mumbled, “Thank you, Joyce. ‘Preciate it.”

After a quick shower and change of clothes, Buffy joined them in the kitchen and she filled Joyce in on the highlights of the previous day while they ate. Although Buffy did her best to keep the events as vague as she could, she could tell from her mother’s tight face that the older woman was reading between the lines and knew that Buffy had been in some considerable danger.

Before she could act on her stated intention to march to the home of the Sunnydale University president and order him to investigate Maggie Walsh and her “teaching assistants”, there was a knock on the door and Willow, Xander, Anya, and an apologetic Giles filed into the house.

“I’m sorry for interrupting your dinner, Joyce,” the Watcher began, “but Willow has some interesting information for us.”

Excited that she was the source of new information, Willow was almost bouncing up and down as she told them what she had learned on campus that day.

“Rumors are flying everywhere about Professor Walsh and the Lowell House fraternity. All her classes have been cancelled until further notice and the house has been boarded up. There are all sorts of mysterious people in trench coats running around campus, and a bunch of Army guys camped out just outside of town, near where we got out of the caves.”

“So, is anyone looking for us?” Buffy asked hesitantly.

“I don’t think so. Although some guy did come by the dorm asking for you, but he went away when I told him you went home to visit your mom. He just said to tell you he doesn’t know what happened and doesn’t want to know, but that you don’t need to worry.”

“Yeah, right!” Spike snorted. “Like that doesn’t come with the job!”

“Aren’t you supposed to be gone by now?” His attention having been drawn to the vampire, Xander couldn’t resist commenting on his presence.

“Had to wait till dark, didn’t I?” Spike rolled his eyes in disgust.

Xander walked quickly to the window and peered outside before announcing with great finality, “It’s dark now.” He crossed his arms over his chest and glared triumphantly at the frowning vampire.

“Gone?” Joyce looked at Spike in surprise. “Why would you be going anywhere?”

“It’s jus’ temporary,” he said, snarling at the still-glowering boy. “I’ll be back soon.”

Joyce looked at her daughter and Buffy just sighed and said, “I’ll explain it later, Mom. When it’s just the two of us,” she added with a pointed look at her friends.

Willow quickly took the hint and began herding Xander and Anya toward the door, promising to catch up with Buffy tomorrow and bring her up to speed on classwork. Giles waited until they were safely out the door, then turned to the vampire and said slowly, “I know this will not sound sincere, coming from someone of my…background…but I AM sorry, Spike. I just am not willing to risk Buffy’s life for…”

“Got it, Watcher. I don’t want those wankers coming after her either. Trust me, if I didn’t know it was needed to keep her safe, I wouldn’t be getting more than a couple feet away from her for the next long while.”

Joyce looked back and forth between the two in bewilderment, then back again at her daughter who looked suspiciously as though she was about to cry.

“Is someone going to tell me what’s going on here?”

“I’ll explain it later, Mom. I promise.” Buffy’s voice was resigned and quiet. “Just let me tell Spike ‘good-bye’ in private, please.”

With a last look at the vampire, Giles and Joyce moved into the living room, leaving the two lovers facing each other from several feet apart.

“Guess it’s time for me to go, love,” he said, shoving his hands in his pockets. “Give me time to get to LA and find a place to hunker down until we get this sorted out.”

“Ho—how long do you think it will take?” Buffy could feel her chin trembling and she willed herself to be strong for him, knowing that any sign of distress on her part and he would refuse to leave.

“Don’t really know, pet. ‘S like I told the Watcher, I never claimed anybody before – human or vampire. I’ll just think about you every night, and when I can’t feel you anymore, I’ll know it’s time to come home.”

He turned toward the door, but stopped when she put her hand on his arm.

“You aren’t going to kiss me good-bye?” Disbelief and sorrow battled to come through the controlled voice she tried to use.

“’M afraid if I touch you, I’ll never let go,” he said honestly. “Thought it’d be easier this way.”

“And is it? Easier?”

“Bloody hell, no!” he exploded, whirling and picking her up to crush against his chest as he fastened his lips on hers.

When they had been kissing so long that Buffy was turning blue from lack of air, he reluctantly let go of her mouth and buried his face in her neck. She gradually slid down until her feet were on the floor, then pushed him gently away.

“Well, that’s more like it,” she gasped, still recovering. “Now I really do believe you’ll miss me.”

Giving her his trademark smirk, he said, “Oh, you’re gonna know how much I’m missing you, pet. Every night while I’m gone – gonna make that little episode on the watcher’s couch seem like a day dream, I am.”

Rolling her eyes, she smacked his arm and ordered, “Just get out of here before I have to do some proactive staking so that I don’t get embarrassed in front of my roommate!”

Laughing, he went out the kitchen door and slipped off into the darkening night. Just before she lost sight of his pale face, he turned back toward the house. Buffy was framed in the kitchen doorway, silhouetted by the light streaming out from behind her.

(I love you)


(Come back to me.)

When she could no longer see him or feel that special tingle on the back of her neck, she sighed and closed the door. She squared her shoulders and prepared herself for the questions she knew her mother was going to have about the claim.


(Hey, it could be worse! I could be dating a human and have got myself pregnant or something like that. All I did was bind myself to a vampire for the rest of my life. And this time she actually likes the vampire I’m dating. So, go me!)

Satisfied that she could put a spin on the situation that would keep her mother from wigging out too badly, she put a smile on her face and went to join the older couple waiting in the living room.

Chapter Twenty-Two

When Buffy finally returned to the campus of Sunnydale University the following day, she was amazed to find fire trucks and other emergency equipment all over. Joining a crowd that was moving toward Fraternity Row, she listened to the conversations around her and tried to separate the rumors from the facts.

“There was a big earthquake – just under Lowell House!”

“No, no. It was an explosion. My brother’s a fire-fighter and he said—“

“I heard a science lab blew up. I saw a lot of people being carried out wearing lab coats.”

“I think the Army was testing weapons. As soon as the building blew up, all those soldiers camped outside campus got into trucks and left.”

When she finally made her way to where Lowell House had been, Buffy found only a very large, smoldering pile of debris surrounded by yellow crime tape. Closer inspection of the men standing around the scene told her the Army hadn’t gone as far away as rumor had it. Their military haircuts and erect posture gave away the fact that they were more guards than onlookers.

Spotting Willow talking animatedly with a sweet looking blond girl, Buffy worked her way through the crowd and waved at them.

“Buffy!” Willow sounded excited and embarrassed at the same time. “Buffy, this is Tara. We met in the Wicca group. She’s an awesome witch!”

Buffy studied her best friend with a bemused expression. She didn’t know the last time she’d seen Willow so flustered – but it was good to see her smiling again.

“Hi, Tara,” she offered. “It’s nice to meet you. So, you do magic too?”

Memories of high school and Amy’s spells made Buffy a little wary, although she had to admit Tara seemed very nice, although quiet and shy.

Remembering what Spike had said about being in her dreams every night, Buffy tried to broach the subject of sleeping arrangements.

“Uh, Will? I, uh, that is, I think I…I might be sleeping at home for awhile. In my own bed. In my own room. By myself. Uh, just until Spike gets back, probably…”

She was surprised when, instead of looking hurt, Willow blushed and stammered, “Uh, gee, Buffy. You’ll probably get plenty of alone time in our room. Tara and I…that is…we have spells and…things…to go over. SoI’llprobablybestayingwithheratnight,” she blurted out, turning almost as red as her hair.

Completely mystified by Willow’s obvious embarrassment, but too delighted to find out she wouldn’t have to worry about any sounds she might make in her sleep to pursue it, Buffy beamed at the two Wiccas.

“Oh, well, that works out great. I mean, not that I don’t want you there, Wills, but with the dreaming and the thinking and the…I’m just going to stop now.”

Changing the subject back to the giant crime scene in front of them, Willow asked, “What do you think happened here?”

“I am assuming the Army is cutting their losses and destroying the evidence of this misguided experiment,” came the calm English voice from behind them as Giles walked up and joined the crowd staring at the remains of Lowell House.

“Hi Giles,” Buffy turned to smile at her Watcher and asked cheerily, “What’s up?”

“I was looking for you, and Willow,” he added, with a nod toward the red-head, “to tell you that you will be able to find me at the Magic Box from now on.”

“The Magic Box? Gee, Giles couldn’t you think of anything better to do now that you’re unemployed? Why would you be spending time there?”

“Because I just bought the store,” he said, annoyed at the assumption he was looking for entertainment. “I intend to be the proprietor. Being unemployed does not agree with me, it seems.”

“I kn..kn..know the Ma..ma..magic B..b…box,” Tara stuttered out. “It’s a very g..g…good store.”

“Yes, thank you, Miss…”

“Tara!” Buffy and Willow said together. “Her name is Tara. She’s a Wicca and a friend of Willow’s,” Buffy finished.

“Yes, well, thank you, Tara. I hope to make it even better. And,” he turned to Buffy, “There is a large room that I think we can turn into an excellent training area with room for weapon storage.”

It suddenly struck him that Tara might find it a little strange that they were discussing training and places to store weapons, but the attractive blond was just nodding her head approvingly.

She turned to Willow and whispered, “We’ll want to do some cloaking spells so that the vampires and demons can’t find the weapons.”

Willow nodded eagerly and beamed at her new girl friend before turning to Giles and Buffy.

“Isn’t she wonderful? You see how much help she’s going to be to us?”

Somewhat taken back by the girl’s enthusiasm, Giles just nodded his head. “Yes, well, so it seems. Thank you for your suggestions, Tara.”

The blond girl ducked her head shyly and hid behind her long hair, blushing furiously.

“Well,” Buffy said into the uncomfortable silence, “I need to actually go to a class or two today and find a way to explain why I missed the last two days. I’ll stop by the Magic Box later, Giles. And, hey, go you, all with the business-having and working!”

“Thank you, Buffy. I think,” he muttered as he turned to leave. “It was lovely meeting you, Tara. I hope to see you again soon.”

“Oh, you will!” Willow’s enthusiasm brought raised eyebrows from both Buffy and the Watcher as they watched the two Wiccas walk away together. With a final “good-bye” to her former Watcher, Buffy headed for the classroom buildings and her much neglected studies.

*****************

After a busy, but uneventful day and evening of school work, patrolling and admiring Giles’ new place of business, Buffy was more than ready for a hot shower and an early bed time. She smiled at Willow’s empty bed and slid between her sheets, mentally reaching out for Spike as she did so.

When, after several minutes of trying to contact him, she hadn’t been able to feel anything, her lip went out in a pout and she snuggled down in the bed, huffing indignantly.

(Stupid vampire! He said he’d be with me every night and here it is only the first one and where is he? Nowhere – that’s where.)

She was still grumbling to herself when she felt an amused chuckle as she heard, (I can see that lower lip sticking out all the way from here, Slayer. Keep it up and something’s gonna get it…)

(Spike! Where were you? I’ve been calling you forever.)

(What’s the matter, pet. You yelled “frog” and I didn’t jump high enough?)

The warm affection she could feel accompanying them took the sting out of his words and her lip went back out again.

(No, you big jerk. I just wanted to say “good night” before I went to sleep. Why didn’t you answer me? Is it fading already?)

(No, I heard you, love. I was jus’ in the middle of something and wanted to wait till I could give you my undivided attention, is all. And, it wasn’t “forever”, it’s only been 10 or 15 minutes.)

(Hmph!)

Without warning, she felt a burst of lust coming through the claim and going straight to her lower body. Unbidden images of penetrating blue eyes, cool soft lips and a strong, compact body suddenly flooded her mind. She moaned softly as she slid further down in the bed.

(What are you doing?) she was able to get out as she squirmed in her bed, wishing she could feel that body pressing against hers. She rolled over onto her stomach and pushed her hips into the mattress, seeking pressure on suddenly needy parts of her body.

(I’m jus’ saying “good-night”, pet. Wanna be sure you don’t forget about me while ’m gone.)

Her mind was filled with images of cool hands kneading her breasts, soft,cool lips kissing their way down her neck to suckle a nipple, while long fingers brushed over her waist and followed the curve down over her ass. She moaned into her pillow and thought about smooth, velvety skin under her hands and hard muscles quivering beneath her fingers. She pictured herself freeing his erection from his jeans and wrapping her warm hand around it.

(Ah…love….that’s it. Show me what you want to do to me. You know what I want to do to you, don’t you? I want to touch you, Buffy. Want to make you scream for me. Want to taste you, feel you… Touch yourself for me, love. Show me how you miss me.)


Even as she blushed at what she was doing, she was sliding a hand down into her underwear and imaging cool, talented fingers stroking her into a frenzy of need. She ran her fingers around her outer lips, dipped into the moisture pooling between her legs and ran the now slick fingers up to massage her eager nubbin.

(That’s the way, love. Pleasure yourself for me. I’m holdin’ on to myself with both hands, pretending it’s you touching me, your warm little hand stroking me, your wonderful little mouth sucking the demon out of me…)

While he was moving toward his own release, Spike was sending Buffy image after image of his mouth and hands caressing, rubbing, licking and nipping at her body. As her hand moved faster and faster and her hips pushed down harder into the mattress in an effort to increase the friction, she could feel him rushing toward orgasm and she rubbed harder using the incredible sensations of pleasure coming through the claim to boost her own orgasm past anything she’d every experienced by herself until she gave a muffled shriek and collapsed onto the bed shaking with the after effects.

For several minutes she didn’t even try to think, just soaked up the incredible satiated feelings flowing back and forth between herself and the vampire. When she could once again have a coherent thought, she sent a plaintive question to her equally content lover.

(What did we just do, Spike? Was that like phone sex? Only without the whole, you know, phone thing?)

(I guess that’s the closest analogy, pet. But I think we’d prob’ly melt a telephone right down to scrap.)

(“Analogy”? Is that William speaking? Cause that really didn’t sound much like the Big Bad) she teased. (He’s going to fit in just fine here at Sunnydale University, isn’t he?)

(I’ll have you know, William has a bloody good education, Slayer. Wouldn’t be surprised it he couldn’t teach some of those poncy poetry classes that you’re always going on about.)

Buffy was amused at the slightly offended tone of his thoughts.

(Okay, okay. I was only teasing. I still have a hard time picturing you as William sometimes. William the Bloody, Slayer of Slayers and William the poet just aren’t such mixey things, you know?)

(Well neither one of them butchers the English language the way you do, love.)

(Now you sound just like Giles!) She had to stifle a yawn, but she couldn’t hide her fatigue from the observant vampire and he quickly ended their bantering to suggest she go to sleep.

(I ‘spose there are worse blokes to sound like.) She felt the internal shudder as he pictured Xander for a second. (Now go to sleep like a good little Slayer.)

(‘K. I miss you.)

(I miss you too, love. But I’m always here if you need me. Just shout – I’ll hear you.)

(Good-night, Spike)

(Good-night, Buffy. I love you.)

(Love you, too) she sent out sleepily, barely noticing the bolt of joy that went through him as she dozed off. Her sleep that night was deep and peaceful; encased as she was in a warm mental cocoon.