*Ring, Ring*

Buffy Summers looks at the clock. Great, she thinks to herself, I almost got a whole three hours of sleep. She rolls over and grabs the still ringing phone.

“Buffy Summers.” She barks out at the caller with the audacity to call and interrupt her beauty sleep.

“Summers, it’s Wes. We’re at the corner of Main and Sunset, you better get your ass down here. We got one that’s right up your alley.”


Buffy was a homicide detective in the mean city of L.A. She was one of the most promising detectives in her class at the academy. She was intelligent and remarkably strong for a woman her size. Whenever she would get asked about her strength, she would reply with a glib, “eat right and exercise.” That was a bold face lie. She had never known why she was so strong. She just always was, she thanked her lucky stars because it came in very handy at the L.A.P.D.

The city was so excited when they heard she’d chosen to join their force. She was herald as a genius in her field. That was the beginning. Buffy was brilliant but she was drawn to cases that were abnormal and could rarely be solved with logical means. She would be right there if they had a case dealing with the macabre or the occult. She developed the nick name “spooky Buffy.” No one had lasted as her partner for more than a month. Generally, they are out within two weeks. She didn’t mind. She preferred to work alone. No one really understood her.

She quickly got out of bed and threw some clothes on and hopped in the car and headed over to where described.

Wesley Whindam Price was her captain; he was British by birth but had come to the states during his teen years. He still had the accent which Buffy hated to admit was rather sexy. Wes was one of the few cops left on the force who still believed she is as brilliant as the academy made her out to be. When she arrived he was standing outside of a normal looking house looking as if all the blood had been drained out of his face. No matter how many dead bodies he saw, he was still that little boy scared of the big bad world. Buffy knew Wes didn’t usually show his emotions this boldly on his face. Whatever was inside that house had to be really bad.

Wes looked up when he heard her approach.

“Ah, Buffy you found us. Before I debrief you, I want you to meet someone. I had planned on doing this tomorrow but since we’re here no need to wait.” Wes started to walk toward the house, but as they were going to enter a vision stepped out.

He was 5' 11", platinum blonde hair, extremely well cut, cheekbones to die for and blue eyes that seemed to gaze into your soul. He had on black pants, a nice black sweater, and a long black leather jacket.

Wes interrupted her eye ogling of him by introducing her.

“Buffy Summers, this is William Bolden, your new partner.” Wait, what!! New partner! Salty Goodness… I mean… shit… he’s talking…

“Nice to meet you Buffy, you can call me Spike.” He reached his hand out to shake hers. “I have been hearing some horror stories about you but I think I can handle you.” Arrogant bastard with such nice large hands. What a nice ring. His hands are kinda cold. Stop rambling Buffy, you’re at a crime scene. Focus

“We shall see, Spike, is it? Well, how about we get this show on the road, Wes, what do we have that you saw fit to interrupt my beauty sleep?”

“That’s Buffy, right to business. Well, it’s a double homicide. In all my years on the force I have never seen anything so gruesome. The reason I wanted you to investigate is the strange substance found at the crime scene. It’s strewn… well… I’ll just let you see for yourself.”


The first thing she noticed was the horrible stench as she entered the house. It was almost enough to make her turn around and walkout. As she was debating she realized Wes was still talking.

“There was a 911 call from one of the neighbors. They heard what sounded like a fight and heard a horrible scream. They thought it was a robbery. When we arrived on the scene the door was wide open and there are signs of a forced entry. Hold your breath and follow me. The bodies are in this room over here.”

Buffy could not believe her eyes, let alone her nose. What she saw was nothing short of a massacre. It appeared to be two bodies, one male and one female. You could not quite tell because their bodies had been dismembered. Body parts were strewn about. Blood and other bodily fluids were everywhere. It appeared as if they were literally torn apart.

“Wes, by the looks of these cuts and tears I would say this is an animal attack but what animal in the state of California has enough strength to dismember two full grown adults? Plus, if this was an animal attack there should be some fur at the scene. I don’t understand.”

“Well Buffy, that’s what we assessed as well. I want you to see something over here. This substance we found in a pattern that almost resembles a blood splatter. If it were blood, I would say the attacker had been shot but we have no proof. There were reports of shots fired but we have no bullets found on the scene.”

Wes was right. It looked exactly like a blood splatter except for the fact that it was green.

“Have the lab analyze this right away,” Buffy screeched out.

“Already on top of it, luv. We sent it away right before you got here,” Spike replied.

“Look here buster, I may be your partner but I am not your love. Now, if you will excuse me I have to get my camera.” Buffy sounded pissed.

“I thought we had people do that for us.”

“Well, I like to get my own prints because you never know what one eye will catch that someone else’s might not. Wesley, can I speak to you outside please?”

“Certainly.” Wes replied as he followed Buffy out of the stench.



As soon as they reached the outside Buffy smacked Wes.

“What did I do to get Mr. Macho as my partner? Did I ask for a partner? No!”

“Well, first of all he was willing to work with you despite your reputation. Secondly, he’s the only one willing to work with you. I know you don’t think you need a partner, but Buffy this is a hard job, you need to have someone there to watch your back.”

“I’m not so bad am I, Wes?” Buffy looked almost amused by the fact that the entire police force refused to work with ‘spooky Buffy.’ Just then Spike popped his head out the door.

“Hate to break up the love fest but I found something I think you both should see.” Spike brought them to the back door.

“I think this is where the attacker escaped. The front door shows signs of a forced entry but this looks like someone bashed it from the inside. And look here there are claw marks on the door. It’s almost as is if something tore the door right off its hinges. And there is more, we have a claw.” Buffy was amazed because he was right but the force necessary to do this kind of damage was greater than any human possessed. Maybe this time she would get real proof that demons exist. She just hoped her new partner wouldn’t get in her way.

The claw was left in a mark that showed only three scratches. At the end of the claw appeared to be the same substance they found in the other room. Buffy took several pictures of the door and surrounding area where the claw was found. As she finished taking photos of the rest of the crime scene and she noticed Spike was just walking around and occasionally sniffing the air.

“Spike, we should probably call it a night. We’ll start going over witness statements and the investigation in the morning. I need to get my beauty rest.”

“No you don’t luv, but I’ll see you bright and early in the morning.” Spike smirked as he walked away.